PDA

View Full Version : 10-year-old tires still good?

Truzi
07-10-2006, 09:46 PM
Just curious. I recently found 4 tires we forgot were in the shed. They were stored on their sides, never mounted, and still have the stickers on them from the gas station. I think they're 13s - They were brand new and we got them cheap from a closing gas station. We kept them when we had small 4-cylinder econoboxes, and forgot about them.

So, do they go bad? LOL.

tlivingd
07-10-2006, 10:13 PM
hard to say. if they were kept out of the sun and UV light they may be nearly perfect. you could mount them and put air and a load on them and see if they crack/dryrot. sun kills rubber and plastic but if kept out usally can keep quite a while. oh and if their kept from other chemicals or chemical vapors.

-nate

BamaWildcat
07-10-2006, 10:17 PM
I'd say they were still good if kept in a cool dry place. Did the shed ever reach a bazillion degrees in the summer?

flynbuick
07-11-2006, 03:51 AM
In the technical sense there is a time limit on tires which I suspect has long expired. There are some old posts about this.

http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.php?t=87693&highlight=tires+time+limit

'71buickg.s.
07-11-2006, 04:30 AM
When my grandpa bought his 1972 El Dorado convertible in 1980, he put new goodyears on it. When he died in 1993 the car was left to us, it had less than 10k miles put on it from 1980 to the time we sold it in 2002, On our way to get those old goodyears changed, (in 2002) The front drivers side tire BROKE, yes, BROKE. The darn thing broke from inside to the outside.. the treads, not the sidewall.. scared the crap out of us but we were only doing about 25-30. I wouldnt use any tire over 5 years old, thats for dang sure

bobc455
07-11-2006, 05:49 AM
Ever notice how vinyl products become stiffer and less pliable as they age? That's because certain additives slowly migrate out of the vinyl as it ages. Same thing happens to rubber- it will lose key parts of its blend over time.

I wouldn't use them.

-Bob C.

DaWildcat
07-11-2006, 06:01 AM
Having had a bad experience with tires with only eight years of storage, I have to say it's not at all worth the risk.

The tires we mounted were stored under similar conditions and showed no sign of cracking or rot. Mounted, balanced & inflated as you would any new tire. Once up to temp on the highway one let go and made for a difficult time to say the least.

Temp variation, ozone and UV all take their toll. As was previously mentioned, the plasticizers in the rubber are pretty much depleted after sitting a long time. Old tires might be good for rolling around at car shows & such, but I'd never trust them on the road again.

Devon

per
07-11-2006, 06:28 AM
I agree with Josh & Bob.
I would never use them, to dangerous.
Can get yourself & others killed.

I believe 6 years are considered max age for storaged, (& used tires).

Per.

:beer :beer

DugsSin
07-11-2006, 06:36 AM
Gotta agree with the above. I would not use them it's just not worth it.

But I would think they could be used in a display at a car museum, AACA in Hershey etc where they set up an old gas station style display. Perhaps you could donate them to such a place that's local to you. Better than the land fill :(

jeff bullock
07-11-2006, 07:32 AM
I would say if they have hardened over the years any,I wouldn't chance using them.Hard tires on a car are dangerous and if you have to slam on the brakes in an emergency you'll slide like you were on ice or oil.And that sucks. :Dou:

69GS400s
07-11-2006, 09:02 AM
In the technical sense there is a time limit on tires which I suspect has long expired. There are some old posts about this.

http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.php?t=87693&highlight=tires+time+limit

Yes, please read the link Jim referred to - some good technical explanations there.

Just to add to it, I went to put air to the SportWagon front tire a few weeks ago as it looked alittle low - tire looks perfect in every sense, but I know its old.

When I went to put the air hose on it the whole valve stem very easily broke off in my hand :shock: :shock: . While I knew the tires were old and needed replacing, the car is not currently roadworthy so I thought they were good to just roll around the driveway etc....Boy, was I wrong !!!

Truzi
07-12-2006, 12:04 AM
Well, they were never mounted, the shed kept sunlight off them, and it was vented. They seem good, but I don't trust them (nor do I have a vehicle to put them on).

I'll just deposit them with the city on their next spring cleaning day (unless they now take tires year-round).

Thanx for the advice.