PDA

View Full Version : 215 & 300 performance Vs economy

Aussie V8
03-29-2007, 08:51 PM
I've got the desire to buy a 61 - 62 Skylark with the aluminium engine.
I read and hear that the early 60s aluminium engined Buicks have really good performance with this engine. But I believe that they can also be gas guzzlers. What economy can be expected from a stock engined Skylark from this era ?
Thanks.

Ken --- Down Under :TU:
1971 Centurion 455 hardtop

bob k. mando
03-29-2007, 09:10 PM
1961-63 is the aluminum block 215
1964 is the iron block, aluminum head/intake 300
1965-67 is the iron block/head/intake 300
1966-67 is also the 340

fuel economy has more to do with gearing and driving habits than anything else. a Buick small block will keep up with pretty much anything comparable.

being from Australia, you should be interested to know that the Land Rover 3.5L v8 ( and variations ) is actually the Buick 215. this gives you options for FI, serpentine belts and such.

Aussie V8
03-29-2007, 09:54 PM
Thanks Bob for the info. As they say you learn something new every day.
I thought the 300 engine was all aluminium as well -- but not so.
Yes, I have researched the Rover involvement with the 215 engine.
Those engines are reasonably procureable here. They actually bored out ( and possibly stroked) the basic 215 to 4.4 litres ( cu inch ?? ) and put it into an Australian built car the called the Leyland P76. It went like the clappers !! If you haven't heard of this car just Google it and have a look.
It was voted car of the year here in the 70s. It had a monstrous boot ( trunk ) that would fit a 44 gallon drum inside with the lid closed.
I believe the Rover engine had a twin carby intake and the Buick a single 4 barrel carb ?
Ken. :TU:

Ps. What is F1 and serpentine belts ?

NixVegaGT
03-29-2007, 10:21 PM
Some Buicks were 4-barrel. Most were 2-barrel. If you have access to a 4 your in luck. Nice engine. Also that P76 4.4 should drop right in if you're interested... Not so great on the fuel economy though.

Bob's right you could go with an EFI setup and get some good mileage. Even with a carb version, especially if you are building the engine, you could keep the tolerances tight and get better efficiency that way too. The 215 was marketed as a fuel efficient option in the early 60's because we were having a bit of a gas crunch at the time.

Aussie V8
03-31-2007, 02:45 AM
Did they make an EFI engine for the Land Rover ? I know here they make Range Rover as well. They are still being manufactured. If the basic Buick engine is still being used then it must be EFI. They just don't make carby engines any more. What years / model to look for with EFI ?
Thanks.
Ken.

bob k. mando
03-31-2007, 09:31 PM
Ps. What is F1 and serpentine belts ?

well, F1 is a registered trademark of the FIA and is their highest class of racing. although there was a 3.0L OHC cam version of the Buick small block than did win the F1 championship in 1966-67 i'm not really sure why you bring it up. :bla:

FI on the other hand is short for "Fuel Injection".

serp belts are the accessory drive set up. older cars use the normal v-belts and you often have two or three different belts and pulleys in several different planes. a serp belt use a single belt to drive all of the accessories and it twists and turns all over the place. there is less friction with a serp setup and far more positive grip on all of the pulleys. almost all modern cars use serp setups.

serp belts grip so well, that i've now heard several stories of people thinking they had seized up their engines when in fact only the alternator had seized up and it was preventing the starting from turning the crank over. :o

Aussie V8
04-01-2007, 03:53 AM
OK. Now I get it. FI ( EFI -- electronic fuel injection ) Serpentine belt ( ribbed or toothed belt)
Just a slight confusion in cross culture. :beer
Ken.

ArmyRover
01-15-2008, 07:43 PM
To answer the question on when did the EFI start on Range Rovers it was 87 I believe.

DougB
01-16-2008, 01:41 AM
Bruce Andren could tell you fuel mileage of '62 Buick 215 V-8 since he has owned and driven them since they came out in '62.

He is at: Bruce@compactbuickclub.org.

Doug