Next up was something that came up over the last few weeks and during the drive down to my brothers to do the gears. I had a slight chug at cruising speed and at idle. I couldn't tune it out. I had successfully fixed some minor vacuum leaks last year and had it running pretty smoothly. I was able to narrow this new vacuum leak to the throttle shaft on the secondaries. Sprayed a little carb cleaner at the shaft and she idled up and smooth. I looked into having new bushings put in, and I'm sure that would have worked but opted for a brand new carb instead. After doing some reading I decided on a new Edelbrock Thunder Series AVS 650. Larry from the site here had said the AVS and not the AFB Performer was the better option if you weren't going to convert to a quadrajet. I don't race at all so AVS it was. It's based off the Carter so a lot less to mess with. With just basic vac readings I adjusted the idle mixture and got it pretty smooth after it warmed up. It was set pretty darn close out of the box, fired right up, choke worked great. A short test drive showed excellent throttle response, smooth idle, and no surging or chug! Once I set the trans cable correctly I could tell it's going to be a much better performing carb than what I had on there, and matched up with my new rear gear ratio I'm really starting to feel the true potential of the engine! The 3rd and 4th gear shifts are much firmer so the geometry of the adapter is just that little bit closer than what I was able to make by hand. Front tires are getting rebalanced by my son at school today. I'm hoping for a super smooth and quick car on my second test drive tonight.