65 special conv. Junk it or fix it?

Discussion in 'Tips On Using The Board' started by Dthibodeau, Aug 18, 2013.

  1. Dthibodeau

    Dthibodeau Member

    Ok, so this is my 1st posy anywhere ever. I bought this pretty red 65 special convertible. V6. Runs smooth, nice top, nice inside. Goes into my neighbors shop for a break line and he says the frame is so rusted it is unsafe to drive. So obviously I am not the biggest car guy. I've looked around a bit for a frame. No luck. This was a low cost car that I just wanted to take my two little girls for ice cream in. Any advice?
  2. 36racin

    36racin Platinum Level Contributor

    First of all welcome to the forum. Can you tell us where you are located? Can you post some pictures of the car and the issue with the frame? These guys here will assist you in just about any way they can. I believe only a 2dr ht or convertible frame will work. Both of these are stronger(boxed frames) than the regular frames. Does anyone know if a 66 convertible frame will work? I know where one is down in South Mississippi.

    Here's another good site to look around on


  3. philbquick

    philbquick Founders Club Member

    It depends on the condition of the rest of the car. By "unsafe to drive" I infer that to mean it has holes and missing portions. If it has surface rust and some light pitting it's OK. If the frame has structural damage, the rest of the car probably has other problems like beer cans and stop signs for floor boards and bondo quarter panels. So the answer depends on : 1) how much you paid for it and did the seller disclose this to you.2) the condition of the rest of the car. If the rest of the car is commensurate with the frame it's probably not worth it, especially in this market. If the entire car is a rust bucket try to get your money back and find something else!

    Changing a frame is a lot of work in itself. To find a frame, sand blast, paint, replace bushings, ball joints and body mounts will cost about $2,500 if you do most of the work yourself. Then there's another 50 hours of work to do the body swap and that assumes there's no other body panels to replace. You would be upside down money wise in a hurry.

    If you only paid $500 for it I'd walk away, it's worth $200 in scrap. If you paid $5,000 for it I'd go after the guy who sold it to you!

    ---------- Post added at 06:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:19 PM ----------

    Any 64 to 67 conv or GS frame will work. The upper front control arm bushings on the 64/65 are steel and rubber on the 66/67. I have a 65 GS frame that is slightly bent on the right rear behind the axle for $400 (an easy fix). In the St Pete/Clearwater area.
  4. philbquick

    philbquick Founders Club Member

    You never gave us any details on your car. What did you end up doing?
  5. Rusty Davenport

    Rusty Davenport Silver Level contributor

    Anybody could junk one, I say fix it!!!
  6. Dthibodeau

    Dthibodeau Member

    Thanks for the responses. I don't get online to often, hence the slow response. I will take some pics and post them sometime soon. I guess I am leaning toward fixing it...it is a nice looking car and my 5yr old girl loves it. So if anyone knows where to point me for a convertible frame? Floor pans also. Thanks, and I will need much help so I'll be back.
  7. kcombs

    kcombs Well-Known Member

    You can use a 64-66 El Camino Frame, or a 67 if you don't mind using the 67 rear end housing. Just don't leave the small block Chevy engine in it, that would be sacrilegious! You might have to change the gas line as it may be on the wrong side on a Chevy, but otherwise your convertible should bolt right on. However, you can't use a Chevelle convertible frame, it would be too short. I have a nice 67 El Camino frame with disc brakes available, but I live in California, too far away from you to transport a frame.
  8. sky64

    sky64 bill merrick- RIP

    good answer.the problem is most people aren't ready for a major redo.it hurts them in the wallet.convertible frames are always boxed.some wagons are also.coupe and sedan 2dr's are open frames in general(not always).any same wheel base 64 to 67 "A" body frame will accept the chassis.but the advice is spot on.if it's bad one place,it's bad all over.I'm from Michigan and learned 40 years ago,if you want a good starter go southwest.
  9. Dthibodeau

    Dthibodeau Member

    Will a64 buick Electra convertible work? There is one close by. Thanks
  10. 36racin

    36racin Platinum Level Contributor

    Ok I'm gonna go out on a limb here and ask a question. I know I read 100's of time that convertible frames an GS 2dr frames are boxed. Can someone please post pictures of both so we can all see what exactly a boxed frame looks like and what a non-boxed frame looks like???

    I do not believe the Electra Frame will work. Someone with more knowledge will speak up.

  11. schlepcar

    schlepcar Gold Level Contributor

    I have a decent frame that could use some minor repair....In Michigan
  12. philbquick

    philbquick Founders Club Member


    ---------- Post added at 07:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:34 PM ----------

    I have one hanging on the wall of my shop. I'll take pictures of it tomorrow.
  13. Dthibodeau

    Dthibodeau Member

    Thanks for the very clear no. I think Michigan is a long way for one that needs repair. Thanks

Share This Page