Suspension "bumper"

Discussion in 'The whoa and the sway.' started by John Annecone, May 15, 2019.

  1. John Annecone

    John Annecone Active Member

    Hey all
    Doing a rebuild of the front suspension on 72 LeSabre. There are a couple of rubber bumpers on the under side of the UPPER control arms. The service manual just refers to them as "bumper". What is unique about them is that to insert them, you push a section of rubber about 1 inch long thru a slot in the control arm. Rock Auto doesn't seem to have them and I am not sure where else to look. Any suggestions where I can find this bumper or even what it is called? I foolishly shredded the thing getting it out before I had a new one in hand.
    In the picture, I am holding the push thru part next to the slot it goes thru, but the rest of the bumper is not in picture.
    Appreciate the help!

  2. john.schaefer77

    john.schaefer77 Well-Known Member

    Try old Buick Parts. They have stuff like that.
  3. Bens99gtp

    Bens99gtp Well-Known Member

    if you cant find it they sell bolt on units that are trimable I would think you could use a good washer above to keep it from going through

    just look around at all the different bump stops out there I'm sure if you cant find the exact there is a suitable substitute without major redesign
  4. Quick Buick

    Quick Buick Arlington Wa

    Im pretty sure the part is called a bump stop. Unless your name is Steve Mcqueen and your driving a 68 mustang you'll probable get by without them.
  5. John Annecone

    John Annecone Active Member

    Found it at Old Buick Parts. Thanks!
    FYI, has polyurethane versions but they warn it would be really hard to install them.
  6. John Annecone

    John Annecone Active Member

    So I feel dumb asking this, but there is another rubber bumper, a boob shaped one for lack of a better description. I have a new one, and I see it in the service manual but can not figure out where the hell it goes. In the manual, it appears to go in the frame, but I see no hole whatsoever to put it in. My pre-disassembly pictures dont show it at all so I am kinda stuck.
    Appreciate any help.
  7. John Annecone

    John Annecone Active Member

    Can anyone advise me how to get this thing installed? I already ripped it trying to pull it thru one side, and its starting to tear a little trying to push it from the underside. I put a little grease on it already.

    Also, any help with where this thing goes?

  8. john.schaefer77

    john.schaefer77 Well-Known Member

    I put some vaseline on it and put it at a slight angle and pushed until it started going and then tapped with a rubber mallet.

Share This Page