total power failure

Discussion in 'Sparky's corner' started by Geoff Wallis, Aug 10, 2018.

  1. Geoff Wallis

    Geoff Wallis Member

    I have a 1955 Buick Special. Overnight I have lost all electrical power. No lights, back u lights and the starter button does not work. Everything is dead but the battery is showing 95% Can anyone help me with a diagnosis.
     
  2. Geoff Wallis

    Geoff Wallis Member

    Ok so have narrowed it down to no power to the circuit board. Any ideas?
     
  3. Ken Mild

    Ken Mild King of 18 Year Resto's

    Circuit board? You mean Junction block? Not too familiar with your year and an electrical wizard I am certainly not.
     
  4. Ken Mild

    Ken Mild King of 18 Year Resto's

    Fusible link maybe?
     
  5. wkillgs

    wkillgs Gold Level Contributor

    Here's the wiring diagram from Team Buick.
    You'll have to trace the circuit with a volt meter or test light. Check the battery cables and ground wire first, then check for power at the junction block. Proceed to the 'charge indicator' (ammeter on dash?), then to ignition and light switches.
    At one of those points you should find a power loss.
    [​IMG]
     
  6. Geoff Wallis

    Geoff Wallis Member

     
  7. Geoff Wallis

    Geoff Wallis Member

    I think it’s the ignition switch, I was under neath & found a lose wire not doing anything this flicked across a bit of metal & sparked, so I think it must have energized the light switch as it has a bio metal strip in it
    Thanks to all who helped
    Geoff Wallis.
     
  8. wkillgs

    wkillgs Gold Level Contributor

    If the circuit up to and including the 'charge indicator' (Ammeter) is good. you should have power at the following:
    - Red 10 gauge wire at the light switch.
    - Ignition switch, probably a red wire.
    - Red 14 gauge wire to the fuse block, powers the clock, trunk, and dome light.
    - Red 14 gauge wire at the horn relay.
    Do those items work?

    In the light switch, there is a metal strip that acts as a circuit breaker (thermo circuit breaker in the drawing).... if there is too much current, the metal strip heats up and opens the contacts.
     

Share This Page