vr715 voltage regulator

Discussion in 'Sparky's corner' started by gokitty, Aug 9, 2018.

  1. gokitty

    gokitty Gold Level Contributor

    The Wells VR715 solid state voltage regulator is a good ,modern technology voltage regulator replacement for our 60s units.Separate the old cover from the base,slip the newer vr under the old cover ,drill through the mounting holes on the old cover through the new base and then mount. For V8rs near a Blain's Farm and Fleet store,they are only 9.98. Blain's is discontinuing these and will not accept online orders,but there are still some in their stores. So,if you want one, now's the time. Blain's is in Wisconsin and has an Ill. store(Elgin?)
  2. weinh

    weinh Well-Known Member

    I am looking for one of these, they seem to be sold out pretty much everywhere.
    As I am sitting across the pond... if somebody knows a source which ships international?
  3. mrolds69

    mrolds69 "The Cure"

    On my cars that have external regulators, I only run the modern type. I just change the covers out, and I don't worry about the numbers. They're not going to dock you anywhere for no numbers except maybe the muscle car and 'vette gig.
  4. JoeBlog

    JoeBlog Platinum Level Contributor

    That’s exactly what I did with mine. I ended up with a new VR after some electrical rework and ordered another from Blain’s. Restored the cover from my original one and mounted it over the solid state stuff. Now I’ve got an original looking solid state regulator for whenever the need might arise. NOS = New Old Spare.
  5. Chi-Town67

    Chi-Town67 Gold Level Contributor

    I bought mine at Autozone. I'm sure any of the big chain parts stores would have one or be able to get one.
  6. gokitty

    gokitty Gold Level Contributor

    Nick,a coupla hours ago,I'd have agreed with you about availability. Weinh's comment spurred my curiosity. So,I started looking online. Nothing available at the big chains at their online sites. Looks like this handy little replacement has been phased out. Might be a good idea to put one or two away if you can find them. I believe that the Duralast vr 715 is probably a relabeled Wells. Blain's still has a few,but only in the stores.
  7. Chi-Town67

    Chi-Town67 Gold Level Contributor

    Well that really sucks! I hope the one on my car doesn't crap out on me now. I'll have to try and round up a spare somewhere real soon. Thanks for the heads up Arch!
  8. weinh

    weinh Well-Known Member

    I contacted Wells about supply situation for the vr715 and this is the reply I got:

    Thank you for inquiring about our Wells products.

    Voltage regulators are a category of parts that Wells Vehicle Electronics no longer sells as of January 01, 2018. We do not have any information on who else may be supplying voltage regulators. Currently there are no plans to get back into this category.

    Thank you

    Any hints to alternative sources of electronic style regulators are very welcome...
  9. Kaule

    Kaule Gold Level Contributor

  10. gokitty

    gokitty Gold Level Contributor

    I called a local Autozone today. They still have some vr715 regulators under the "Duralast" label on the shelf.Same voltage regulator by the looks of it..I was able to order a vr715 today.When it arrives,it's getting stashed away .Hope I never need it,but if I do...

Share This Page