What to look for

Discussion in 'The ragtop shop' started by buicfrank, Oct 8, 2017.

  1. buicfrank

    buicfrank Well-Known Member

    I am going to replace the convertible top motor. I have heard that other brand convertible motors will work. What are some the pointers to look for when buying? Can a motor be tested before installing? Thanks Frank
  2. pbr400

    pbr400 68GS400

    Apparently the K car convertibles use a compatible motor. I imagine almost any from an ‘80s or ‘90s ragtop, especially if it was done ASC, would work. I’m guessing that bench testing will show too high current draw if bad, but in the field, unless you can see it work a full lift, it’d be a crap shoot. (A bad one will still run, and good one may not be good for long). Unless you’re determined to be thrifty, I’d buy one from a rebuilder. There’s one in South Carolina, one in Florida, both are good, both a little more than $200, and most likely one or the other is the supplier for all the catalog guys.
  3. buicfrank

    buicfrank Well-Known Member

    Patrick thank you for replying. Is there anyway to pressure test these motors? (k car)
  4. steve covington

    steve covington Well-Known Member

    The motor/pump assembly looks to be the same for the last 40 years... I just took one out of a 1998 mustang that looks the same as my 1971 setup. The significant improvement that I see over the older cars is that they mount a pair of relays at the motor to reduce the current draw across the control switch. It adds a little more wiring, but apparently they learned from the past (Buick switch burnout).

Share This Page