Welcome to V8Buick.com.

Default 24 volt trolling motor wiring?????

Buick Brothers--I need help. I bought a boat( first mistake) new that is wired for a 24 volt trolling motor. Marinco female plugin with 2 wires, 1 red and 1 orange. 3rd wire is black( ground I assume) The Minn Kota 24 volt motor only has a red and black wire. I am told the 2 12 volt batteries have to be wired parallel but l am lost as to how to do this hook up. The instructions with the Minn Kota says to wire a connector from the positive on the #1 Battery to the ground on # 2 but that seems wrong. Any help would be appreciated. John
    John

JOHN the only way to get 24v is to connect two 12vs and yes they have to be + to - ivedone this many times because all heavy equipment is 24 v...and thats what i did for a living SO dont worry it is correct////once you connected the two batteries then connect the red from the motor to the+ term that is free and then last connect the black to the - term this completes the circuit luck pete
    pete

Yep, that's right.

Motor + to Battery #1 +

Battery#1 + to Battery #2 -

Battery #2 - to motor -

Must be a bass boat.

Bay Boat for inshore reds.
    John

Guys don't I still have an orange wire that is not connected > Is this OK
    John

I'd say it's fine since the motor only has a + and -. It doesn't need anything other than that.

I'm not sure where the orange wire would go. Ground maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by jbc455
    I'd say it's fine since the motor only has a + and -. It doesn't need anything other than that.

I'm not sure where the orange wire would go. Ground maybe?
    I would have to see it to tell for sure, but more than likley part of the speed control. So you have ground, +12 and +24 volts, that way you don't waste pwr through a reostat. So at slow speeds it uses 0 to 12 volts, high speed 12 to 24 volts.

I would call the manf. to make sure. Don't guess, high current speed contolers are expensive.

Rich

The plug in is a Marinco. It has a three prong plug in with an orange wire , red wire and black . The Orange and Red wires look the same and have a connector for positive battery post. The Minn Kota only has red and black. If I use a Marinco Plug ( Male) it is 3 prong to plug into the female 3 prong.
    John

For you trolling motor controls you may see a 12/24v switch. In the odd instance, some use only 1 battery (or run 2 batteries parallel) and would use the orange wire. With 2 batteries, run them in series and simply tape the orange one off.

In my boat I can select from 12v or 24v with a switch on the trolling motor, but always run on 24v.

I would also highly recommended to put a fuse or 50 amp circuit breaker or fuse somewhere in the red wire. The closer to the batteries the better. (It works just as well in the black wire, but the standard is 1 in the red wire. You can get them cheaply from a boating supply house.

Is it a Riptide model? They are not cheap.

Here are experts that are very friendly and could answer anything you have over the phone.
    Fosters Trolling Motors

Catch a big one.

Default 24 volt set up

one more important thing to remember ////Charging the batteries is very important/////if you have a 12 charger you can only charge one at a time if you do that be sure you follow the +to+ and - to - and charge them equally (2 hr each) if you get a 24 volt charger then it is easier just + to + etc lastly the two battery will have to be checked each year to be sure they are both good if one goes bad it can cause damage to you t/motor... luck pete
    pete

Thanks for the info. The motor is a Rip Tide with auto steering. Look forward to putting it to use soon.
    John

The Minn Kota book says to wire the #1 Battery positive to the #2 Batt. Negative. The red from motor to the #2 Batt positive and the Black from the motor to the #1 Batt negative. This OK ?? Same I believe as above but uses all batt posts.
    John

john that is right ///// it is just saying it different////go ahead and wire it up the fish are waiting LOL later pete
    pete