Welcome to V8Buick.com.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: What year Big Block Buick to Build?

Quote Originally Posted by moleary View Post
    no, scrap heap those huge chamber heads, by the time you cut them down to get a good cc, your valve would rub through the pistons into the crank

I may have a set of 70 heads I would be willing to part with They need rebuild.
    Not to mention the combustion chamber shape is bad, which milling wouldn't help.

I have a 72 455. If I read your sonopsis correctly I can have the heads reworked with bigger valves and do some porting and I will have basically a stage 1 motor. What about the cam are they all the same between a
    Stage1 and a non stage1?

Quote Originally Posted by American Muscle View Post
    I have a 72 455. If I read your sonopsis correctly I can have the heads reworked with bigger valves and do some porting and I will have basically a stage 1 motor. What about the cam are they all the same between a
    Stage1 and a non stage1?
    Actually, just the bigger valves and you've got pretty much a Stage 1 motor. Porting is icing on the cake.
    From the factory the Stage 1 used a bigger cam, but you would not want to use either in an engine today. Technology has given us much better cams, and the stock Stage 1 cam is still very mild compared to what you can get today, with no downsides.

great post it answered a lot of questions i had i run a 73 lectra 225 on a 1/4 mile dirt track (worlds largest dirt car) it is a stock class last year i snuck in a little hotter cam 496 lift comp cam and it really helped . Next year we will be required to run a holley 500 2 barrell . keeping this in mind would i be better off to use the non stage 1 valves I am planning on building a new motor for next year and thought i neede a 70 model block and heads until i read your post any inside tips someone might have would be appreciated I need the most power I can get from a stock appearing engine we are requred to pull 16 inches of vacum at 850 rpms thanks for any info anyone might have

I am looking at buying a complete carb to pan 455. Comes with headers and is recently a stock rebuild. the block is a 72 by the casting, intake is 73 and heads are the 75-76 that you guys are blasting as being poor? He wants 700 for the whole setup, am I wrong in thinking I should be able to get this for 400? He originally bought it thinking it was a Pontiac engine and now can't use it as he wants the correct pontiac engine.

If I keep the 75 heads on it, how much hp should I expect to get out of the engine if I throw a mild streetable cam?

Great post, thanks for the info.

is recently a stock rebuild.

is the rebuilder a known Buick guy? if he did a "Chevy" rebuild on it that engine is probably a grenade waiting to go off.

If I keep the 75 heads on it, how much hp should I expect to get out of the engine if I throw a mild streetable cam?

hard to say as we don't have any idea what pistons are in it. i wouldn't expect a whole lot out of it unless you plumb it for nitrous or a turbo or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobb Makley View Post
    nick

One of the biggest reason for useing a 75-76 block for us in high HP builds is lifter bore mateial the bores in MOST 75-6 blocks can be well over twice as thick. I broke a lifter bore in a 70 block 10 years ago and the bottom of the bore was less than .100 thick. I agree with the main girdle part but if you plan to be agressive at all with your cam whether it is a flat tappet or roller or if you plan to add a ta lifter girdle its better to start with good lifter bores.
    Did you break the lifter bore running a flat tappet, or roller? Thanks, J
    -1966 Skylark GS, Iron head pump gas 462 build in the works..

-1972 Chevy Nova, 6.0L LS Swap, single 76mm turbo, factory rotating assembly 8.39/164@3315 lbs. Weekend car.

-03 GMC 1500 4X4, 6.0L, 76mm, 9.73/140 Mph@4850 lbs. Daily driver

Quote Originally Posted by LARRY70GS View Post
    Nick,
    Nicely done. This should be a sticky in the FAQ forum, like my timing thread.
    Larry,

Any chance you could post or pm me the link to your timing thread please?
    Rob

'85 Regal w 455

Quote Originally Posted by KRL077 View Post
    Larry,

Any chance you could post or pm me the link to your timing thread please?

Ummmmm... It's right below this thread, in the Buick FAQ section. Power timing your Buick V8

Larry
    1998 "Fully Optioned" SC3800 Riviera
    70 GS 455 Stage1, TSP 470, 602 HP@ 5900, 589 TQ @ 4900
    TA Hyd Roller Cam, 230*/238*, 112, .544"/.577" lift, 4-7 swap
    MSD Digital 6+, Ignitionman Distributor w/MSD trigger
    THM400 with Ultimate 258mm converter, Gear Vendors OD
    AED 1000 HO Carb, 800 CFM 7042240 Quadrajet
    8.5 10 bolt, 3.73's Race weight 4025lbs.
    Best E.T. 11.54 Best MPH, 116.06
    Larrymta@verizon.net, GSCA #291
    BPG # 1063
    N.E. GS/GN Club Assistant Director

I pulled the motor out of my stock 68 GS400 to rebuild and put in my brothers freshly rebuilt 69 GS400 motor (which I believe was kept pretty much stock) to keep my car up and running while I built mine. I used my stock carb on his motor and it never seemed to run just right. It didn't run horrible, but it didn't seem all that great either.

Is there a compatibility issue with running a 68 q-jet on a 69 intake?

Should be no problem at all.

Devon
    Fuel & Brake Systems Engineer
    "I can live with doubt and uncertainty and not knowing. I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong." - Feynman
    "Good data is precious. The problem I have is when some damned fool fails to use it properly." - Slingerland

Does this info apply to nailheads too? I got a '65 401. Thanx

Ok here is a stupid question.. why was the "SF" motor rated at 370 hp??.. I pulled one fron a 70 Riv and that is what I'm running in my 71 Skylark..

In '70 the big car 455 was rated at the 370 number for marketing. To make the A-body cars seem a little safer they were rated at a lower rpm, thus less output.

Or so the story goes, anyway. I don't put any weight in factory ratings to begin with.

Devon
    "I can live with doubt and uncertainty and not knowing. I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong." - Feynman
    "Good data is precious. The problem I have is when some damned fool fails to use it properly." - Slingerland

I'm guessing stock with headers & intake I'm somewhere around 400 or so...

Let us know your trap speed in the 1/4 mile and vehicle weight, and we'll know.

Devon

3900 lbs with me in it best so far: 13.7 @ 98mph.. that was with the stock 350 converter.. I put a 2400-2800 converter in it after the season was over. I did a bunch of other small stuff... I hope it still hooks good..I hope to break 100 and pick up .50 sec.. maybe that is asking too much.. I'm also having another carb built for the upcoming season..

That's around 300 hp at the wheels, so your estimate's not far off.

Devon

Cool... not bad for a junkyard motor

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Sloop View Post
    You are reading correclty. There is no way to "fix" 75-6 heads. There are no domed pistons for Buicks. Only flat-tops, which can get you serious compression with good heads, and deck and head milling. The block issue is pretty much a non-issue. Unless you are in the high horsepower range, or running a big cam (see Bobb's post above), the later block is really not an issue.

Everyone calls these heads boat anchors, I get it. That is the concensus. But doesn't that really depend on the application? I mean, If you are on a track trying to get every last drop out of your motor, then they are junk. But if you are just building a weekend cruiser that sounds mean and gets up and goes, I would have to think that with a good cam and pistons, and decking they would work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by jaystoy View Post
    Everyone calls these heads boat anchors, I get it. That is the concensus. But doesn't that really depend on the application? I mean, If you are on a track trying to get every last drop out of your motor, then they are junk. But if you are just building a weekend cruiser that sounds mean and gets up and goes, I would have to think that with a good cam and pistons, and decking they would work fine.
    The 75-76 heads are open chamber. That means the combustion chamber is the size of the bore. Closed chamber heads for our engines are much more efficient. It's a no brainer to just get earlier heads to use on the 75-76 blocks.
    Larry
    1998 "Fully Optioned" SC3800 Riviera
    70 GS 455 Stage1, TSP 470, 602 HP@ 5900, 589 TQ @ 4900
    TA Hyd Roller Cam, 230*/238*, 112, .544"/.577" lift, 4-7 swap
    MSD Digital 6+, Ignitionman Distributor w/MSD trigger
    THM400 with Ultimate 258mm converter, Gear Vendors OD
    AED 1000 HO Carb, 800 CFM 7042240 Quadrajet
    8.5 10 bolt, 3.73's Race weight 4025lbs.
    Best E.T. 11.54 Best MPH, 116.06
    Larrymta@verizon.net, GSCA #291
    BPG # 1063
    N.E. GS/GN Club Assistant Director

Quote Originally Posted by OlySezHey View Post
    Does this info apply to nailheads too? I got a '65 401. Thanx
    No, none of this applies to nailheads.

Very nice.

i have a 1975 455 with 75 heads .i have now been offerd some 1970 heads from a gs . i am rebuilding the engine at the moment. its been bored +40 i have 9.5 1 pistons a TA 288-94h cam edelbrock inlet manifold TA shorty headers and a holley 750 double pumper .what kinder hp will i get with the right heads. also would the early heads fit on my 75 block . by the way the 455 is going in my 1979 trans am. is all this compatable thanks kev
    Last edited by kev 190164; 08-01-2010 at 03:39 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast