Welcome to V8Buick.com.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default 70 Triple Black Stage 1 Convert. Rides Again

Thought you might enjoy these shots of another great stage 1 brought back from many years of slumber. Many thanks to JW, Ric and Josh at Trishield for another concours resto on a very rare 70, code 19, stage one convert.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by flynbuick; 03-25-2007 at 07:09 AM.
    Jim Lore
    BPG 1037
    "If you cannot clear up the confusion at least make the confusion clear."

Default Re: 70 Triple Black Stage 1 Convert. Rides Again

Very nice...Great color combo as well. I'd love to have a coupe with the same combo..
    Pat Harmon
    1970 QQ GSX back half car
    1970 462 Skylark

Here it is on the Tri-shield Performance operating table.
    Last edited by flynbuick; 03-23-2007 at 09:30 PM.
    Jim Lore
    BPG 1037

Congratulations, Jim(s) and crew

...can't wait to see them in person!
    Adam Martin
    BPG# 1358
    BCA# 39765
    1970 Buick Skylark Custom 455 Coupe
    www.antiqueautomotiveservice.com

http://www.antiqueautomotiveservice.com/images/logo_top.gif

Insofar as we can tell statistically only a couple of 70 code 19/B/188 stage 1 converts were made. (Perhaps only one) In any case this is the only one we can verify to be still in existance. According to the Buick factory daily car reports a total of 11 black GS 455/stg 1 converts were made at the Flint plant during the 70 model year. This number 11 includes black non stage one converts which were much more prevalent.
    Jim Lore
    BPG 1037

I'm going to pass these pic's on to my buddy Willy, he's gonna freak since he owned it for about 20 years or so... the first owner of this car lived about 5 minutes from me
    wait for the beep and leave a message

Quote Originally Posted by flynbuick View Post
    Insofar as we can tell statistically only a couple of 70 code 19 stage 1 converts were made. (Perhaps only one) In any case this is the only one we can verify to be still in existance. According to the Buick factory daily car reports a total of 11 triple balck converts were made at the Flint plant during the 70 model year. This number 11 includes triple black non stage one converts which were much more prevalent.
    Jim, is this another one of yours? Wow, nice car. Best part is that you got it done. How long from start to finish? My green one must be going on five or six years now, hoping for this year - again.
    Mike Mullen
    BPG #1278
    70 GS Stage1 auto 10-B
    96 Riviera Fuel Injected (not Supercharged)

We have to thank all who sold and sometimes even gave us parts to bring back this convert and the 70 4 speed stage 1 GSX. Without this Board bringing these cars back to concours condition would not have been possible.
    Last edited by flynbuick; 03-23-2007 at 09:22 PM.
    Jim Lore
    BPG 1037

9. Default Re: 70 Triple Black Stage 1 Convert. Rides Again

3B....Absolutely priceless

Thanks for restoring this beauty..it is a true piece of automotive history for ALL to behold. I hope to see it in person one day.

Now, I will be sending you my vert for one of your "makeovers"

MarkO
    MarkO
    "There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Raoul Duke
    Street Sleeper~'70 Skylark Holiday Coupe
    Build-> http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.ph...ge-Find/page10
    N2O-> http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.ph...-Nitrous-facts
    Hydraulic Clutch &T/O Bearing-> http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.ph...-chime-in-here

Jim, I know of another one up here in Mass. pretty sure it is real. It is black with white top and interior. Sat in guys yard since at least mid 80's. I tried to buy the car many times but guy would not sell as car deteriorated. Guy would not let me get close to car so not sure if auto or 4Spd. I got plate number although old expired plate a cop friend of mine gave me VIN which I still have. Guy sold house when his father died and moved. May try and research car and find it again. So there is another around. At least car had GS455 VIN and Stage-1 emblems on car in correct place long before many people were faking them.
    Dave, Seeing Yellow
    71 GS Stage-1 Now Sold.

Now have real 70 GSX 4 Speed QQ

Wow, what can be said after looking at those pictures.I have been a mopar guy for a long time, i have always been a conv guy but for such a rare car and in triple black this is the nicest i have seen yet......Congrats

China Mike

Bringing the GSX back frame off to concours took about 8 months. The triple black stage 1 convert took about 17 months. It would have been completed a lot sooner if some outside vendors had not dropped the ball. But delays are part of a concours restoration. The amazing thing is much of the time JW ,Rick, and Josh were doing both cars simultaneously along with their other work while I was hunting parts which as you know are chicken lips--especially the quality ones we needed. Just things like bumpers with no pits even on the back are difficult to locate. Just try to find a no pit correct date coded voltage regulator. It sounds easy until to have to do it. Just try to find a correct NOS clear water jug with the correct lid and script for an early pointed lens car, NOS belts, hoses, storage compartment latch button, etc . Very difficult but we did it. And this is a complicated car with power windows, power door locks, convert rear defroster, rear speaker, tilt etc. Just try finding some correct 70 only bezels for power door lock switches or NOS tri shield mirrors. We did it but I do not believe I want to tackle any more concours Buick restos.
    Jim Lore
    BPG 1037

looking at those pics it's hard to come up with words that give justice. I am reminded about a post on this site that asked if graffiti was art. I didn't reply in that thread but I will here. Graffiti is NOT art. The car pictured on this thread is.
    Andy, 1970 Skylark Custom

Support your country
    Support your neighbors
    Support yourself
    Buy American

14. Default Re: 70 Triple Black Stage 1 Convert. Rides Again

Awesome car!! I like it even more than the GSX!! Not going to see another like it in any condition even at our Buick events! Congrats to all of you guys for finishing another great ride.
    Gary Steele
    Owner of a bunch of junk.

www.gsrestorations.com <--- Disclaimer: This is neither an advertisement for my dad's place nor a solicitation for customers. Only visit this site if you want to see an outdated site that shows some of the muscle cars my dad has restored in the past.

Very Very nice. Brings back memories. I had a 70 triple black Skylark convertible years ago. Didnt have it long but it the reason i have the convertible i have today.Had to have another.
    Kevin Brungard
    2000 TA
    2012 Dodge Challenger RT
    1984 TA
    1973 Chevy Monte Carlo

There is another documented code 19 '70 Stage 1 convertible still around. Add it to your list. I have owned mine for 33 years. Dennis

B E A Utiful !!!
    Curtis

1970 GS 455 4-Speed
    1972 GS 350 Convertible (SOLD)

My Blog http://72buickgs.blogspot.com/

My Buick Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/BuickGSOwners/

"Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right"

cjp69 is offline Platinum Level Contributor

Beautiful car Guys!!!!!!!!!!!
    Chris

70 Stage 1 4 speed for sale or trade

Very few miles on this resto.
    Jim Lore
    BPG 1037

That car is nothing but AWESOME!!!! Please, please, please, take it to the GS Nats this year as would love to see it in person. Jim can you email me more detailed pics of the car? Beautiful!!!
    JUDE STEELE
    Owensboro,KY
    AMCA#727
    BPG#1238
    GSCA#3114
    70 GS Stage1 Convertible
    -R26A-Stratomist Blue w/White Top
    -185-Pearl White Interior
    70 GS Stage1 Hardtop
    -14B-Silver Mist w/Black Vinyl Top
    -188-Black Interior

Jim
    What a great car! Compliments to you for all the hard work finding the correct parts.
    Harvey

Thumbs up Beauty!

Amazing.
    I guess that project is about as complicated as it gets because of the options and being a Stage vert and all...
    More pics please, more underhood shots if available.
    Looking forward to seeing it and I promise not to touch it or allow any drool to drip on it.
    Congratulations!
    Bert
    "Race Car" spelled backwards is "Race Car"
    http://www.v8buick.com/vbgarage.php?do=view&id=8098

Glad to see it made it home in one piece, always a concern. Wish we could have delivered this one to you personally, but this time of year we are scrambling to get folks projects done for spring, and this year is no exception.

Now, just a little perspective as to where we have been..

And to where we are now.

I believe the rarity of this car is in the fact that it is triple black,(exterior/interior/top) which would have been an uncomfortable car in Miami where it spent a good portion of it's life. We certainly have seen a few black 70 stg converts, but have yet to hear about another triple black one. We know of John Schmidt's 71 car, but have not heard about a 70.

Mike, the car for all intents and purposes has been done for 8 months, save for a 3 or 4 potmetal/chrome parts, which did not pass my quality demands the first time around after reconditioning. It has been sitting in the shop, under a cover, since July '06, until we got the parts I could put on this car. That time delay was very frustrating, after countless late nights/early mornings attempting keep this car on schedule, but it is part of the deal. We began this project in earnest, Dec 14, 2005. Jim's GSX was started 3 weeks later.

The words "ok for any car but this one" were used over and over again to discribe many, many parts in this project. Lots of cars out there with nice interiors and shiny paint, but this one has a tremendous amout of substance to it, as Jim really spent the time and effort it took to really track down the hard to find parts. And we did tremendous research on this car, in an attempt to get everything "just right".

Credit needs to be given where due, and that's to Mr Lore, for stepping up to the plate to bring back this very unique piece of history from the dead. Considering actual work time, parts sourcing and buying and reasearch, it was pretty easily a couple thousand hour investment to bring this one back, but the guys and I at the shop were happy to have the opportunity, and I believe the finished result was well worth the effort.
    Owner/operator

Tri-Shield Performance
    Jim Weise
    Founder/Owner
    V-8 Buick.com
    320-629-8999

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.
    Abraham Lincoln
    16th president of US (1809 - 1865)

Very beautiful car. A rare car indeed. Congratulations on a job well done.

Will this car be at Norwalk or the Buick Performance/BPG event? I would love to see it in person.

I wish my convert would look like that someday......

Lon

Please do NOT think I'm nitpicking, but, my car is still mostly ORIGINAL, and an early pointed lens car. It is far from the condition of yours, with 37 year old chrome, etc..... My AC lines from the condenser are natural, as are the top washers that mount the condenser. Mine also has the "keep your GM car all GM" sticker on the pass. side of the air cleaner. Should the dryer and the ac condenser lines be painted or natural? A friend of mine has a Stage convertible that he restored and put away many years ago, and we argued over whether the dryer was natural or painted. Mine is painted....Also, is the thermo vacuum switch at the front of the intake supposed to be black plastic, or the skinny metal one I've seen on a few cars? Mine was replaced, but the one it replaced was black plastic. Thanks, Dan
    Yeah, I know it's a sickness.....but it's easily treatable with money.

66 GS 4-speed hardtop; blue/blue my first car since age 15
    66 GS 4-speed thin pillar cpe blue/blue
    66 GS 4-speed conv.; turquoise/blk/blk
    68 Riviera GS white/blk
    70 GS Stage 1 convertible; wht/blk/blk
    1974 Riviera GS Stage 1; blue/blue
    67 Firebird 400 hdtp auto; grn/blk
    65 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    66 Alfa Romeo Duetto ex-East coast racer

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast