Welcome to V8Buick.com.

Default Upcoming Columbus BPG Horsepower Nats

Here are a few updates and a few things we are working on for the Columbus BPG Buick Horsepower Nationals coming up this August 3-5 at National Trails Raceway –

** Forget everything you have heard or seen about Columbus National Trails. I spent last Monday there and I am very impressed with the area since it has grown up. The town of Heath is within 15 minutes of the track and should be able to accommodate all of us. There are lots of restaurants, hotels, parts stores, and a great main drag that will be user friendly to us. Everyone including the police department would like us to come back, so the word I get it they will work with us. ( hmmmmm!! )

** How about a big cruise-in on Thursday night in Heath, at the Auto Zone / Ruby Tuesday parking lot? What a great way to kick off the event!

** I have officially invited the Mopar group to join us for test and tune on Friday and possibly Saturday for part of the day. See, the Mopar Nats are the following weekend at the “Trails” and as packed as it gets, I am sure there will be some who will come out to test and tune their cars a week early, esp. the locals. We’ll give them lane 6, for example, and any of us who want to grudge-race any of them, well, choose your race. Ought add a lot of excitement plus help us with expenses.

There is plenty of grassy areas for the car show should it be a hot day, or if it is a nice day we can have it on the asphalt. We will work this out when the time comes and we see what the weather is doing.

** Buick has committed to bringing a truckload of heritage vehicles down for the show. Last year at Indy, they brought GNX#1, a gorgeous pale yellow 65 Gran Sport convertible, a 65 Riviera, the Blackhawk, a Wildcat concept car and I am probably missing one or two others. Ought be interesting to see what they drag out for this year!

** How about this one – FREE vending spots! We have decided that with more and more business being done via E Bay and other sites, vendors are becoming more and more reluctant to bring their wares out to sell at meets such as this. Hard to blame them as it can be a hassle, $3.00 gas, motels, etc. So, we think it’s time to encourage them to come back to their roots and get eyeball to eyeball with their customers. We will certainly accept any donations that they would want to throw our way, but not necessary. The only deviation from this would be the “prime” locations. We would like to offer them to the larger vendors who would utilize these to the best usage and these spots will be “sold” to the highest sponsors. In other words, if you are a vendor and want to sponsor at the $1000 level, you would get the best spot, compared to a $500 sponsor. Keeping it simple. And, as I say, no one HAS to. They can vend for free in the back 40 if they choose. But, again, we will accept donations if you’d like to help us grow this event to the level we envision. It’s up to all of us.

** And, of course, lots of racing! Log onto www.bpgforums.com for hotel info and lots of other stuff as it happens. Please ask your questions there as it is difficult to continually monitor all of the boards that this information is going out to. ( But, your comments are welcome here to help keep the thread alive, or maybe the administrators will make it a sticky for us. ) Thanks, and see you all in Columbus!

Default Re: Upcoming Columbus BPG Horsepower Nats

Jim -- Thanks for making this a sticky!

Some great news....and usefull info!! There's no excuse not to go!

Quote Originally Posted by collector View Post
    Jim -- Thanks for making this a sticky!

Your welcome...but my name isn't Jim.

Now you owe me a beer!
    Brad Conley. 70 GSX Prototype, 71 Black GSX, 87 GNX Prototype, 75 Skyhawk, 2 86 GN's, 72 Centurion Convert and a host of other Buicks!

egg-cellente' !!
    Alan W

BPG # 1048 - Charter Member
    NE GS/GN Club - 17 Year Member
    68/69 Buick StepChild Nation - 29 Year Member

What is a Buick StepChild ?
    Quote Originally Posted by 442w30 View Post
    ... They have awkward proportions from certain angles, and they look dumpy compared to their GM brethren
    ....'68 SportWagon400 "Sportn'Wood"..............'69 GS400 Convert "BigRed"..........

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Conley View Post
    Your welcome...but my name isn't Jim.

Now you owe me a beer!

Jim, Brad, whoever you are.... ( "YOU'RE" welcome! )

Jim, Brad, whoever you are.... ( "YOU'RE" welcome! )

Yea, I hate it when I do that...I know it should be You're and not Your. Brain fart.

PS: You still owe me the beer
    Brad Conley. 70 GSX Prototype, 71 Black GSX, 87 GNX Prototype, 75 Skyhawk, 2 86 GN's, 72 Centurion Convert and a host of other Buicks!

Granted it has been 7 years since I have been to National Trails, but that place was awful then and I was so unimpressed with that race track I have never gone back. What have they done to improve it? The track was rough, the seating must have dated back to 1960, not enought restrooms, organization was poor, and dusty unpaved pit area. Convince me things have changed and I might consider the 8 hr drive!

Quote Originally Posted by frydfsh View Post
    Granted it has been 7 years since I have been to National Trails, but that place was awful then and I was so unimpressed with that race track I have never gone back. What have they done to improve it? The track was rough, the seating must have dated back to 1960, not enought restrooms, organization was poor, and dusty unpaved pit area. Convince me things have changed and I might consider the 8 hr drive!
    ditto! Also I recall they made everyone without slicks... even MT street ET's, which are pretty close to slicks, run out of the groove out on the side of the starting line at the track. Those super high concrete side walls running down the length of the track made it tough to see the bottom 1/2 of all the cars going down the track unless you climbed up high in the stands.
    70 GSX #645 QQ Stage 1 4 speed mostly original paint
    87 We4 Turbo T Original Owner 10.71@126

Quote Originally Posted by GSX-PKV View Post
    ditto! Also I recall they made everyone without slicks... even MT street ET's, which are pretty close to slicks, run out of the groove out on the side of the starting line at the track. Those super high concrete side walls running down the length of the track made it tough to see the bottom 1/2 of all the cars going down the track unless you climbed up high in the stands.
    Which are some of the reasons we will put it up for a vote after the event. Alot of people have a negative feelings about the track after the '99 event. It is completely different from what it used to be plus it has a more central location for most attendees. So, my recommendation -- attend the Columbus event and see how you like it, and if you don't like it, vote to change the location the following year. Remember that the Mopar Nats have been there for many years and they are a huge group. If you think about it, there must be some very good reasons why they return year after year. It's up to you all to change it if you like, but it would help if you were to attend and then make your feelings known!

Sounds fair enough! The more Buick events, the better and acting on input after the event is a great plan.
    70 GSX #645 QQ Stage 1 4 speed mostly original paint
    87 We4 Turbo T Original Owner 10.71@126

I was there for the Mopar Nationals in 2005. It is a great facility but I advise you to rent or bring a tent --especially given the time of year.
    Jim Lore
    BPG 1037
    "If you cannot clear up the confusion at least make the confusion clear."

John
    Really looking forward to this event.
    I will see you there!
    Richard Johns

Owner/Operator Pure Stock Auto Restorations Inc
    www.purestockauto.com

70 GS Stage 1 Convertible Auto 3:64 12.71@109.15 1.92 60 ft PSMCDR 2009
    70 GSX Stage 1 M21 4 speed 3.64 Original Paint # 67 of 678
    70 GSX Stage 1 Auto 3:64 # 603 of 678 12.44@109.73 GS Nats 2012, 12.71@110.64 PSMCDR 2011
    70 GS 455 M21 4 speed 3:42 Bench Seat
    87 GN Astroroof
    70 GTO Judge Ram Air III M21 4 speed 3.90
    69 GTO Judge Ram Air IV M21 4 speed 3.90

Which are some of the reasons we will put it up for a vote after the event. It's up to you all to change it if you like, but it would help if you were to attend and then make your feelings known!
    Thats is as fair of a offer as you can get. I look forward to being there. I for one like National Trail and look forward to some Mopar vs Buick racing.
    Davis

1965 Riviera Gran Sport Super Wildcat
    1968 GS350 with 462, AL Stg 1SE, M20-- 12.23@114.5
    1987 Regal Turbo T LC2 Y56 W02
    1971 Estate Wagon
    2000 Buell M2 Cyclone (If Buick made motorcycles, this would be it)

BPG #1128, GSCA #2316,

"I'm out of the Midwest. It was a good place to come from. It give you a sense of right or wrong and fairness, which I think is lacking in our society." ---Steve McQueen

i live in the n/w columbus area. i will try to get there. i have not been to the trails since the late 60's. i remember them having the spring or summer nationals there, back then they had bleachers(wood football style) on one side and the pits on the other. nothing special.

Norwalk is a good option,beautiful track,great accomodations,nice surface,NHRA sanction,good seating and the staff are great folks...I vote for Norwalk for next year. Fish
    72 GS 10 inch tire,stock suspension.
    Former NMCA NSCA EZ/S racer ,Car #5150.

Quote Originally Posted by nitrousfish View Post
    Norwalk is a good option,beautiful track,great accomodations,nice surface,NHRA sanction,good seating and the staff are great folks...I vote for Norwalk for next year. Fish
    Bill Bader, the track owner at Norwalk has an agreement with Bill and Roberta that they won't accept any other Buick events at their facility. It's to protect the "Norwalk Buick Raceday" event from damaging competition.
    Doug Hecker
    65 Gransport - 8.74@152.61

John,looking forward to being there!!!!

See all of you in 2 months!!!!!!!!
    Carl Rychlik N.E. GS/GN Club
    GSCA #2090 BCA #23261 BPG #1064
    BPG Car Show Co- Director
    1970 Gran Sport Stage 1 Coupe-BCA Senior Gold Award-2005 ,BCA Senior Gold Preservation Award 2011, GS Nationals/Larry Miller Best Of Show Award 2011, & HEMMINGS MUSCLE MACHINE OF THE YEAR-2006, AACA Junior and Senior 2010
    1987 Grand National (original owner)
    2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Ex.Cab w/Duramax

I got sick last year and missed out on Indy. This year Julie and I wouldn't miss it. Look foward to seeing everybody
    Eddie Culp
    70 GSX 455 Stg. 1 4sp. (clone)
    71 GSX 350 auto (clone)
    66 skylark 340 4bbl. (sold )
    72 skylark (in cloning process)
    67 Evinrude Sportsman 225 odd-fire v6
    95 Riviera SC
    GSCA #1729

Quote Originally Posted by stagetwo65 View Post
    Bill Bader, the track owner at Norwalk has an agreement with Bill and Roberta that they won't accept any other Buick events at their facility. It's to protect the "Norwalk Buick Raceday" event from damaging competition.
    Thanks...I didnt know about Norwalk Buick Raceday...Fish
    72 GS 10 inch tire,stock suspension.
    Former NMCA NSCA EZ/S racer ,Car #5150.

National Trail was totally re-done and is really nice now, the NHRA bought it and spent a ton of money there a few years ago...nothing like what you guys remember.
    Mike Berkemeier

1970 AMC Rebel Machine, 61K, 4-speed, All-Numbers Matching.

"Maintain Right!"

Yo Mr B! Long time, you coming with one of your cars to NTR. I hear they will let us look at your Mopars on Fri, and see some race too Looking forward to seeing you Mike, hope all is well. Had the 73's motor rebuilt and it goes in the car as soon as we get home from BPG.(oh and a frame forward resto,etc) (Thanks John C) Then hopefully an excellent paint job over the winter (Mike G, or Mark R. anyone up for a 73?)
    Philip Roitman
    2 73 Century GS Stage 1 4-speeds 1- Highly optioned 4 speed & 1 rat!
    73 Century GS Stage 1 Suncoupe SCO paint "05" BCA National Gold. 2010 BPG Stage 1 Convention Silver Concours winner, 2013 MCACN Concours Gold & Sloan Museum pick Award
    73 Century GS 455 (T Code, 1 of 99) 12.850 @ 105.51 MPH (Cecil Dragway 2012.) Factory Stock.
    73 Century GS 350. (462 now) (11.20 @ 121) (Cecil 2013)

I'll post this on the BPG site when it's back up and running:

I'd like a head count of how many racers would be interested if I set up a chassis inspection/certification session with an Ohio-based NHRA Division 3 tech inspector? Since we can expect National Trail's tech to be legit, if you run in the 9s or quicker and you either haven't been certified yet or you've let your cert expire, why not see if we can get it done while we're there for the Nats. I've got one racer interested for sure and I'm going to make a couple of calls to the two inspectors who are located in central Ohio to see if/when they can make it. I'd like to be able to tell them how many cars they would be coming to inspect. Please, either post your respnse here if you are interested or you can always PM me. Thanks.
    Doug Hecker

I have to work Fri & Sat, can't get out of it. Is it worth going just for Sunday or is every thing pretty much over by then?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBuicks View Post
    I have to work Fri & Sat, can't get out of it. Is it worth going just for Sunday or is every thing pretty much over by then?
    No, the car show is Saturday, but Sunday is race day. Come on over!
    Last edited by stagetwo65; 07-25-2007 at 07:15 AM. Reason: typo
    Doug Hecker