Welcome to V8Buick.com.

Default When to change oil in new Buick

I am taking the wife's new Enclave in for the newest software update to improve the transmission shift points and was going to have them do the first oil change. The salesman recommended not waiting until the computer advised, cause it could be as long as 10K miles. He said go ahead and do it around 5-6K. We have ~5500 miles on it. When I called to schedule service, I told the service manager I wanted to go ahead and do the first oil change, but she replied that "GM doesn't recommend it until it needs it, but it is my car and they will do whatever I want".

Any recommendations out there. I always thought it was better to do the first oil change early because it is in theory it is the break-in oil.

Thanks for any advise,
    Jarrod Campbell
    67 GS 400
    http://home.roadrunner.com/~campbell26/index.htm

Default Re: When to change oil in new Buick

That was the advice given by the dealer who sold us a new zoom zoom !
    He recommended an oil and filter change at 4,000 kms where the manual calls for servicing at 8,000kms.
    IMOH - It certainly won't do any harm to change the oil and filter in advance of the manufacturers scheduled change, and it will give you added peace of mind, knowing the bulk of those break-in particulates are not circulating through that new engine !
    Like you stated - "your car, your choice"
    I'm getting mine changed early, and switching to synthetic at the same time.
    Randy Hunter / ROA Charter Member #155 - '68 Buick Riviera GS (clone) '"The JEWAL"
    ...previous Buicks: '68 LeSabre 400 2dr hdtp,'68 Wildcat 2dr hdtps (2), '68 Riviera (2 parts cars),'80 LeSabre V6 4 dr (...long gone slug)
    Check out the ROA here: www.rivowners.org ,and my '68 Riviera here: http://www.v8buick.com/garage_vehicl...w_vehicle&id=1

Go with what the manufacturer says. If the engine has a problem you can show that you followed their guideline to the letter. I can understand wanting to change it out much earlier but that may cause a "debate" later.

Saleman don't replace engines for you for free

Nice ride too

depends ... did you lease or buy ?? do you plan on keeping the car for a long while ??

Personally - I would have dumped it already ... your thinking of "break-in" oil is exactly how I feel.

...but, if you're plans are to flip it in a few years then do what they suggest as it wont be your potential headache when the vehicle is 5+ years old
    Alan W

BPG # 1048 - Charter Member
    NE GS/GN Club - 17 Year Member
    68/69 Buick StepChild Nation - 29 Year Member

What is a Buick StepChild ?
    Quote Originally Posted by 442w30 View Post
    ... They have awkward proportions from certain angles, and they look dumpy compared to their GM brethren
    ....'68 SportWagon400 "Sportn'Wood"..............'69 GS400 Convert "BigRed"..........

If you do not mind... What do you think of the Enclave? Build quality, component quality, power, etc.. - Mike

I just took delivery of an 08 GMC Acadia this week, the sister to the Enclave. Fit and finish is very good. I preferred the looks of the Enclave over the GMC but didn't care for the interior of the Buick.
    I am taking the wife's new Enclave in for the newest software update to improve the transmission shift points
    This is the only thing so far that bugs me. Is this a dealer bulletin because I know mine needs this update.

I will be doing the first oil change before the recommended time.
    Andy

1970 GS 455
    12.3 @ 109 MPH

My BMW and VW have special break in additives, and i would not dump that. However they are high quailty synethetic. If you are paranoid like me,.You could allways send off a sample to blackstone for an Analysis. The results of mine would have been good to 20k... which happens to be what Porsche recommends ... :O

DL

Myself, I don't care what they say I'm changing the oil every 3,000.

We have 2 daily drivers. My wife's '06 Saturn, and my '92 Park Ave.
    I change the oil on both at the same time and reset the oil monitors.
    My Park Ave's. oil change light comes on at about 2800 miles.
    At the same time OnStar will tell me that the oil in the Saturn still has approx. 80% life left.
    I guess I would feel better about letting both go longer if they didn't use such dinky oil filters.

On a side note, I recently changed the oil on my elderly Mother's '96 Park Ave. after neglecting it for close to a year.
    The oil came out nearly as clean as when I last changed it.
    I looked at the odometer and checked my records and found that she had only driven it 150 miles in a year's time.
    Dale

Current Buicks...None. :-(
    Past Buicks. '66 Riv / '70 Rivs (2) / '90 Riv / '72 Skylark / '72 LeSabre / '72 Electra / '96 LeSabre / '92 Park Ave. / '96 Riviera.

"The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot. The guy who invented the other three, he was a genius.". Sid Caesar

I look at it this way. Change it when you want to. It is recommended service not manditory.
    Bret
    71 Skylark Custom

I changed the oil in our new Enclave at 3000 miles. I like to change early the first time. The oil filter is a bit hard to remove/install because it's very close to the front exhaust manifold. No grease fittings found. Don't forget to reset your maintenance computer.
    Glen Stringfield
    1970 GSX, White, Stage 1, 4sp (Sold)
    1971 GS 455, Cortez Gold, Saddle int.
    1976 Free Spirit Pace Car (Sold)
    2008 Buick Enclave CXL

manufacturers recommended oil change intervals are for ideal conditions only!
    i have a 98 gs (bought as a demo) and a 99 saturn. i change the oil & filter in both cars every 3 months. i use quaker state non synthetic & wix oil filters.
    for a new vehicle, follow the manufactures recommendation for the breakin period, but after that cut the recommended oil change mileage in half!
    Gerry
    1972 GS 350 ht #s
    2008 Astra XR 3 door
    2011 Chevy Cruze

The newer cars use a mathmatical equasion and if electronically throttle controlled know how much abuse the oil is taking and what conditions you drive in. (it knows when you are at WOT) and adds that to the equasion. as the car gets older you will notice that your milage per oil change will reduce.. instead of 10k miles on an oil change you will be down to 4k for example over 200k miles total on the car.

On newer cars the tolerances are a lot tighter and can support longer times between oil changes when the engine is fresh.

the engineering depts don't spend time and money if they don't have to. and in this case they are. follow their recommended guidlines. I'm sure the factory service departments hate the 10k mile oil change interval.
    If you want to do it early. then do so and just reset the oil counter.

-nate
    1970 Skylark Custom convertible
    Megasqurt EFI
    My Build in the Garage
    2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx
    Looking for cheap and long '77 Ford F150 bed

Nate

Thanks for all the opnions everyone. I decided to wait it out and follow the manufacturers recommendations. I will wait until the computer gets to 20% Oil Life Remaining as recommended when I asked at the dealership service department.

I am thinking along the same lines with Nate that these engines can go longer without needing the oil changed as frequently. Even my 05 F150 truck's service manual recommends every 5K miles. I think that the old 3 months/3000 miles is great for older engines, but is commonly pushed by the speedylubes and oil manufacturers out there...even on newer cars when it is not necessary!

BTW, we are very pleased with our purchase of the Enclave. My wife who used to drive an expedition absolutely loves it. We like having the room of a tahoe in a vehicle that drives like a car. We have taken several trips in it and can put more crap in it than we could in our expedition. (It's absolutely amazing how much stuff you have to take with you when you have a 1 and 4 year old!!!) I feel as though the fit/finish is excellent.
    Jarrod Campbell
    67 GS 400
    http://home.roadrunner.com/~campbell26/index.htm