Welcome to V8Buick.com.

Default Block water jacket rust removal and best engine paint.

I took my block to a Machinest I have known for years. He gave me a great deal I think and the work looks great. Cleaned, Magnafluxed, Bored .030 over, Serviced lifter bores, Main line bore, Decked, and also reconditioned Rods and installed new pistons for $275.00. The Block before he cleaned it had heavy Rust in the Water jackets, . His cleaning did a fair job of removing most of the heavy rust build up. I will be doing a final steem cleaning at work to make sure there is no metal left from machining and to bemove the oil before painting. Then I will Oil it down ASAP. Does any one ever use anything to try to remove any left over rust in the coolant jacket or is a final good steam cleaning enough? Most Engines I've built in the past the water jackets were very clean due to proper coolant maintence. so there was no concern on them. Also want the correct RED paint and a good brand that will hold up. I would hope it can be obtained at a local parts store , like NAPA, Autozone, ect.
    Richard Davis

Default Re: Block water jacket rust removal and best engine paint.

Krylon 2114 or Duplicolor DH1608. You should be able to find them both locally. You can also easily order the Krylon here online

http://www.gizmosindustrial.com/serv...e-33637/Detail
    Larry
    1998 "Fully Optioned" SC3800 Riviera
    70 GS 455 Stage1, TSP 470, 602 HP@ 5900, 589 TQ @ 4900
    TA Hyd Roller Cam, 230*/238*, 112, .544"/.577" lift, 4-7 swap
    MSD Digital 6+, Ignitionman Distributor w/MSD trigger
    1967 BT Switchpitch ST-400, Gear Vendors OD
    with TSP 3200/1800 converter
    AED 1000 HO Carb, 800 CFM 7042240 Quadrajet
    8.5 10 bolt, 3.73's
    11.67 @ 115.49 MPH
    Larrymta@verizon.net, GSCA #291
    BPG # 1063
    N.E. GS/GN Club Assistant Director

For heavy rust removal in the water jacket areas I use 'Pool Cleaning Acid". Have the block on an engine stand, level it, plug any open bolt holes, make a plate to cover the timing cover water holes. No need for a gasket there, a flat plate held on with two bolts should be enough. Fill the block with the "Acid" to just below the deck surface. Now let it sit for two or so hours. Remove the drain plug on the side of the block & drain into a plastic container to re-use. Don't breath the fumes & best to do this outside. Once drained wash out with water. If it's still not clean enough, repeat. Then do the other side. It will come out looking brand new internally.
    Tom Telesco
    Classic and Muscle Automotive
    465 Glenbrook Rd
    Stamford, CT 06906-1820
    Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
    NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
    Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads

"If I can't get it, you don't need it!"

Thanks. Sounds good, Will the acid damage any machine work if it comes in contact with newly machined surfaces, or harm the good cast under the rust? Also do you use the acid straight or mix with water?Called a pool suply, would that be Muratic acid? $5.00 A gallon,would need 2, I guess.
    Richard Davis

Richard, yes, it is Muriatic Acid. You will only need one gallon. It takes about 3 qts. per side for a "Nail". It's re-useable. No need to water down, use full strength. Won't harm the under lying metal if not let to sit for a week. We're talking a few hours here, at the most 4 or 5. It will "Etch" new machine work, the reason for filling just below the deck surface. If it starts to "Bubble" over onto the deck open up the block drain & let a little out then throughly wipe the clean machined surfaces with a soaking rag of water. This will stop the etching process as water is the neutralizer. If towards the top of the deck it's still rusty most can be cleaned with a wire brush. But I would, once the bottom of the internals are clean & you want to get closer to the deck cleaned you could fill almost closer to the top of the deck. Once the internals are cleaner there will not be as much "Bubbling" (will probably be no bubbling) of the acid from cleaning as the 1st. time used. Just don't breathe the fumes & don't do it inside & don't try to cover the block to block the fumes it will migrate to other areas not wanted. This is a very effective way that no one I know of uses to help get the internal water passages clean. Believe me there is NO WAY to get it cleaner!!!!! This also works wonders on rusty parts. Won't hurt rubber bushings & won't take off paint that has no rust underneath. I have a 50 gallon rectangular plastic tub outside my shop, covered of course, that I use almost daily with the kinds of auto repairs I do. The rusted metal comes out a greyish color. Throughly rinse with water & best to use heat to dry. The metal is now etched & primers, or best, self etching primers & paints really have a surface that the paints can stick to. This needs to be done almost immediately as rust starts to form quickly because the metal is SO clean. Only to be used on steel or cast iron. See what happens if you put in a piece of aluminum!!!!! It will be a magic trick, GONE!!!!!
    Just a little more FYI.
    Tom Telesco
    465 Glenbrook Rd
    Stamford, CT 06906-1820

Thanks Tom, thats what I needed to know. I will pick some up tomorrow if possible, or monday.
    Richard Davis

Post your results & experiences for others & to let others know I do have some knowledge of what I'm talking about.
    Tom Telesco
    465 Glenbrook Rd
    Stamford, CT 06906-1820

Guys, you have to be very careful using muriatic acid. Although it works well, it can induce hydrogen embrittlement making the casting susceptible to cracking along with it being somewhat dangerous to work with and difficult to dispose of properly. A safer alternative would be to use the product EVAPO-RUST which removes the rust with NO health effects, NO metal etching, and can be poured on the lawn as fertilizer! I use it and it works great! The cleaned metal will be blackish in color when complete due to the carbon from the rust remaining behind (can be washed off). Parts can be left unrinsed after treatment for a tough rust resistant coating. But then there is the solution that the old-timers use-3 parts water to 1 part molasses and let soak for a week- also user friendly although I've never tried it. Jay
    Jay Vanous
    With every lesson comes the cost of tuition.

So where do you get Evapo Rust?
    Richard Davis

Richard, I bought mine direct (55 gallon drum) but seems I remember seeing it in one of the chain parts retailers (Carquest, Autozone, NAPA, Pepboys, can't remember which one) in one gallon pails. Do an internet search, they may provide a local supplier list. Good luck! Jay
    Jay Vanous
    With every lesson comes the cost of tuition.