Welcome to V8Buick.com.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default VP converter- Trans visual ID guide

Hi Folks,

I just had a guy ship me what he thought was a VP converter.. delt with him before, and I am sure it's just an honest mistake, but it made me realize that we don't have a visual ID Thread for the Variable Pitch pumps and converters on the board here.

So I took some pics..

Fixed Pitch Converter T-400 Stator shaft (part of the front pump) VS. Variable pitch

Here's the Fixed pitch stator shaft:

Variable Pitch Shaft..

_________

Converters - Fixed Pitch VS Variable Pitch

Fixed Pitch- When you look down the hub, all you see is the Stator splines.

Variable Pitch- Looking down the hub, you see two bushings with a space in between, and then the stator splines. This is true of both the 12" and 13" VP converters, and no other converter will look like this.. This is positive ID!

12" VS 13" VP converter ID

Measurments:

13"

_______

12 "

Close up of the 12" measurement..

Visual ID- Converter Cover

The 13" converter will have recesses to mount up to 6 mounting lugs-

The 12" unit has provisions to mount only 3 lugs

Now you can Field ID both the VP trans pump and converter, as well as tell the difference between a 12" and 13" VP converter.

For you junkyard hounds.. print this out and throw it in your toolbox.. I actively purchase any 12" unmolested VP converter I can find. I pay $75, provide the box and pay for shipping, for a good 12" core (can't be a Poston (PAE)) unit, this offer only applies to a stock, untouched core. These cores are located in ST-300 two speed transmissions, in various 64-67 GM A bodies. I have also found them just laying in a "converter pile" in a junkyard in the past.

I will ship you a box, plug and return lable along with a check for a good 12" VP converter.. all you have to do is take out your check, plug the converter and stick the Shipping paid lable on the box, and take it to a UPS shipper.

Thx

JW
    Last edited by D-Con; 10-17-2009 at 08:49 PM. Reason: 64 A-bodies too!
    Owner/operator

Tri-Shield Performance
    Jim Weise
    Founder/Owner
    V-8 Buick.com
    320-629-8999

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.
    Abraham Lincoln
    16th president of US (1809 - 1865)

Default Re: VP converter- Trans visual ID guide

Thanks Jim for the info.....Do you have any in stock right now if someone wanted to order one of your 1800/3200's???

None in stock, I am out of cores right now..

JW
    Owner/operator

Tri-Shield Performance
    Jim Weise
    Founder/Owner
    V-8 Buick.com
    320-629-8999

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.
    Abraham Lincoln
    16th president of US (1809 - 1865)

These cores are located in ST-300 two speed transmissions, in various 65-67 GM A bodies.
    any good from a 2 spd getaway trans 1969 olds ?
    * 1972 350 GS....started frame off resto...08-2005
    2 late now-its finish or BUST..-69.4 % almost done -

Frank Rex

Jim

Im Ready To Order One Of Your Switch Pitch Level Two Transmisions. So I Hope You Get Some Torque Converters In And Hope You Have A Nailhead Core?

Also Sent A Email To Your Store

John

Jim - You might also post pics showing the spot welds on the SP converters, compared to the regular ones.

You can make some of it out on your converter ID pics....maybe just zoom out to show more of it.
    Scott B.

72 GS 455 Stage 1, 70 Skylark, 92 Roadmaster

Acts 4:12 - Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved.

Thank you for the pics and info. I was able to verify my project motor & trans does have a SP just like my Riviera. Thats very good news.

I have the creeping problem at traffic lights in my Rivi and found great info from you guys. Thank you. So my question is one I haven't seen.

Does the switch pitch also function in reverse? My Rivi engages a little harder in reverse than drive. Is this correct, or should it be the same?

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Bullet View Post
    Thank you for the pics and info. I was able to verify my project motor & trans does have a SP just like my Riviera. Thats very good news.

I have the creeping problem at traffic lights in my Rivi and found great info from you guys. Thank you. So my question is one I haven't seen.

Does the switch pitch also function in reverse? My Rivi engages a little harder in reverse than drive. Is this correct, or should it be the same?
    Since reverse has nothing to do with the converter, I would say yes. You should be in high stall at stoplights. There is a switch up near the firewall that should put the converter in high stall at closed throttle. Reverse is 2.08:1 vs. 2.48 for 1st gear forward. That and the fact that you are probably in low stall (if it is creeping) would make reverse engagement harsher.
    Larry
    1998 "Fully Optioned" SC3800 Riviera
    70 GS 455 Stage1, TSP 470, 602 HP@ 5900, 589 TQ @ 4900
    TA Hyd Roller Cam, 230*/238*, 112, .544"/.577" lift, 4-7 swap
    MSD Digital 6+, Ignitionman Distributor w/MSD trigger
    THM400 with Ultimate 258mm converter, Gear Vendors OD
    AED 1000 HO Carb, 800 CFM 7042240 Quadrajet
    8.5 10 bolt, 3.73's Race weight 4025lbs.
    Best E.T. 11.54 Best MPH, 116.06
    Larrymta@verizon.net, GSCA #291
    BPG # 1063
    N.E. GS/GN Club Assistant Director

I keep hearing that one of the old tricks was to wire in a manual switch for the SP. Higher stall at take off puts you more into your power band, but how is this any different than WOT (assuming the SP is working correctly)? Is this to keep it in the high stall thru the shift points?
    I understand the how to on the 12v side, but is there really any advantage to this?

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Bullet View Post
    I keep hearing that one of the old tricks was to wire in a manual switch for the SP. Higher stall at take off puts you more into your power band, but how is this any different than WOT (assuming the SP is working correctly)? Is this to keep it in the high stall thru the shift points?
    I understand the how to on the 12v side, but is there really any advantage to this?

The original SP valve bodies had specific calibrations to work along with the 2 stall speeds. The way the SP worked was high stall was used at idle (to reduce creep), and at over 60% throttle. Low stall occurred off idle and part throttle for better efficiency. The valve body got you into high gear sooner, and would not kick down until you applied full throttle (or close to it). Buick intended the car to accelerate at higher throttle openings using high stall instead of a forced down shift. The SP valve body has no 3-2 valve.

At the drag strip, you only need high stall to launch the car. Shutting the converter off about 100' out provides the best E.T. and trap speeds. High stall at idle tames the rougher idle of a big cam. The valve body calibrations can be solved by a swap to the later valve bodies. If you try to set up your governor to shift higher automatically, you will find that the 2-3 shift will occur too early relative to the 1-2 shift. Swapping in a later valve body with a 3-2 valve gives you a part throttle kick down as well as a higher RPM 2-3 WOT shift point.

I have a SP controller box that I bought from Poston Enterprises years ago. It is a timer box with an L.E.D. readout. The timer is adjustable between 0 and 11 seconds in .1 second increments. There are 4 connections, 12V, Ground, brake light switch, and transmission. The way it works, is any time your foot is on the brake, the converter is in high stall. When you release the brake, the timer counts down to 0 and shuts off the converter. At the track, I leave it at 3 seconds. This allows me to foot brake the car and launch, and use low stall for the balance of the run. On the street, I set it for 0 seconds. The high stall lets the engine idle easier and smoother. The timer box also has a manual mode to let you select stall speed directly. I have one of Jim's 12" ST300 modified converters. High stall is 3000-3200 RPM, and low stall is about 1800. The engine is very responsive even in low stall. Much better than the Stock 13" converter which had maybe 2100/1100 stalls. Hope that answers your question. There is more to read here:

http://www.buickperformance.com/SPTrans.htm
    Last edited by LARRY70GS; 01-22-2008 at 09:24 PM.
    Larry
    1998 "Fully Optioned" SC3800 Riviera
    70 GS 455 Stage1, TSP 470, 602 HP@ 5900, 589 TQ @ 4900
    TA Hyd Roller Cam, 230*/238*, 112, .544"/.577" lift, 4-7 swap
    MSD Digital 6+, Ignitionman Distributor w/MSD trigger
    THM400 with Ultimate 258mm converter, Gear Vendors OD
    AED 1000 HO Carb, 800 CFM 7042240 Quadrajet
    8.5 10 bolt, 3.73's Race weight 4025lbs.
    Best E.T. 11.54 Best MPH, 116.06
    Larrymta@verizon.net, GSCA #291
    BPG # 1063
    N.E. GS/GN Club Assistant Director

Default V6 Switch Pitch converters

Anyone using a V6 switch pitch converter on a BBB V8?
    I just bought one, and was surprised to see it is also 12.5" O.D.
    Are there internal differences that will give it a higher stall than the ST300 converter now in my '66 GS? I'm presently getting 2000/3000 stall from that one.
    Also, would there be any durability issues with using a V6 converter, or would the only side effect be higher fluid temp from more slippage (if that)?
    I'm wondering if I should have JW rebuild it before I give it a try.....
    Walt K
    (1)'66 GS Astro Blue, 13.41 et (2)'66 GS Saddle Mist, L76 Q-jet option, 1 of 132 (3)'66 GS Flame Red, Calif car (4)'66 GS Silver Mist, 4 speed (5)'66 Special, Flame Red, 300 (6)'79 Turbo Regal, 14.1 et (7)'65 GS 4 speed 'vert

I know JW would perfer the V6 SP TQ for a performance build.
    Ed
    Latte-Missing my babygirl always RIP 12-3-15
    Starbuck-Thanks for fighting so long tough girl 6-18-15
    Mocha-Forever in my heart RIP 4-8-10
    1964 Buick Skylark Convertible (TSP 525hp 550TQ Iron head 464)
    1967 GS400 Hardtop Best ET 1.788 60 FT 12.68 @ 104.53
    1967 GS 400 4 spd Convertible (in boxes now)
    1968 Electra 225 Custom with 46k original miles
    1970 GS 350 Aqua Mist

Red face Re: VP converter- Trans visual ID guide

Is the "BB"t-400 from 67 GS 400 a S/P? It sure shifted nice & hard ,chirp the tires on the 1-2 shift hard. I'm trying to decide on rebuilding it or the T-400 S/P out of a "400"package 66 lesabre.Both have the original converters,but not at my disposal to look at right now.300 miles away
    Jamie McClintonPride and joy '65 Special convertible w/340-4
    '69 Special Deluxe

Retired Starter & Alternator rebuilder
    Buick mini-starters for sale!
    Hi-output alternators!

I don't see a "BB" code for '67...the GS would've gotten a "BA" that year. Both the '66 & '67 would be variable pitch-equipped, the major difference being the nailhead vs. BOP bellhousings, respectively.

Devon
    Fuel & Brake Systems Engineer
    "I can live with doubt and uncertainty and not knowing. I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong." - Feynman
    "Good data is precious. The problem I have is when some damned fool fails to use it properly." - Slingerland

Default Re: V6 Switch Pitch converters

Quote Originally Posted by wkillgs View Post
    Anyone using a V6 switch pitch converter on a BBB V8?
    I just bought one, and was surprised to see it is also 12.5" O.D.
    Are there internal differences that will give it a higher stall than the ST300 converter now in my '66 GS? I'm presently getting 2000/3000 stall from that one.
    Also, would there be any durability issues with using a V6 converter, or would the only side effect be higher fluid temp from more slippage (if that)?
    I'm wondering if I should have JW rebuild it before I give it a try.....
    Sooooo...is the V6 converter the same size as a sbb 12" unit?
    Do internal differences give it a higher stall?
    Walt K
    (1)'66 GS Astro Blue, 13.41 et (2)'66 GS Saddle Mist, L76 Q-jet option, 1 of 132 (3)'66 GS Flame Red, Calif car (4)'66 GS Silver Mist, 4 speed (5)'66 Special, Flame Red, 300 (6)'79 Turbo Regal, 14.1 et (7)'65 GS 4 speed 'vert

Default Re: V6 Switch Pitch converters

Quote Originally Posted by wkillgs View Post
    Sooooo...is the V6 converter the same size as a sbb 12" unit?
    Do internal differences give it a higher stall?
    Don't know if you guys have thought about a more modern approach. Lockup convertors in the TH700, and 4L80E transmissions are much more effective than the old SP TH400. They both have an overdrive, and the TH700 also has a much lower first gear ratio. The 4L80E is used in newer trucks and is heavier duty, like a TH400 with OD and Lockup.
    The only drawbacks for the 4L80E is you have to use a computer and sensors to shift it, and the price. The TH700 has only electronics for Lockup, and is an easier swap, as the 4L80E is a big unit.
    Just thought you'd like to hear that from a 20 year SP400 user (gave up on them when I went with a trans brake). Give your local ATRA Trans guy a call, and tell them Larry J from Westshore Trans sent you.

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME~1/Bob/LOCALS~1/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image002.jpg[/IMG]fficeffice" />

Yep, there are tons of people on the board that have overdrive swaps...a quick search will show you lots of conversations. We have some folks using aftermarket overdrive/underdrive units as well.

Call me old fashioned, but I love being able to flash over 3200 on the switch and putz around town in low stall all day long. Can't say a high stall converter w/lockup can do that for me; I suppose it depends on the quality of the converter as to how much part throttle slippage you'd get while cruising.

My converter's stator reacts so quickly between high & low it'll squeak the tires when I let off the switch at part throttle. Following immediately with a screech between 1-2 gets some strange looks and lots of questions from passengers. Usually it's a "what just happened?"

I suppose it's a novelty.

Devon
    Last edited by DaWildcat; 03-30-2010 at 08:00 AM.
    "I can live with doubt and uncertainty and not knowing. I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong." - Feynman
    "Good data is precious. The problem I have is when some damned fool fails to use it properly." - Slingerland

Jim I have one for you with the deal you mentioned ..heres a few pics ..send me a box ...its out of my 65 lark- st300 with 79k miles on it....ps make sure you send me a plug as the one in the photo is for another converter I have ....thanks John Kennedy
    Attached Images Attached Images
    13.15 @107 65 Skylark Coupe, Burgundy Mist,black buckets,462,75 "AF" block, 10:1 TA 288-94h +4,Gessler TA SE Heads 59cc 300 206@.500,TA SP1,750 Speed Demon ,TA 500 fuel pump,Frnt cvr oil mods,Msd dist,Turbo 350, Coan Max perf. 2100 stall,2:56 Powertrax no slip:(TA shorty headers
    72 Skylark custom gs clone/modified 350
    72 Skylark 350
    72 REAL GS 350 -455 convertible 13.67 @ 97 mph
    32 FORD ROADSTER 350/T350-361hp
    90 Corvette Convertible
    84 MONTE CARLO SS
    06 TOYOTA TUNDRA DOUBLE CAB V8

Quote Originally Posted by DaWildcat View Post
    Yep, there are tons of people on the board that have overdrive swaps...a quick search will show you lots of conversations. We have some folks using aftermarket overdrive/underdrive units as well.

Call me old fashioned, but I love being able to flash over 3500 on the switch and putz around town in low stall all day long. Can't say a high stall converter w/lockup can do that for me; I suppose it depends on the quality of the converter as to how much part throttle slippage you'd get while cruising.

My converter's stator reacts so quickly between high & low it'll squeak the tires when I let off the switch at part throttle. Following immediately with a screech between 1-2 gets some strange looks and lots of questions from passengers. Usually it's a "what just happened?"

I suppose it's somewhat of a novelty.

Devon
    I hear ya Devon, I told people it felt like a shift but most didn't believe it until they experienced it. But a lock up is like a shift even at light throttle, only it lowers your RPM so much you shouldn't use it until at least 35MPH. Still the SP400 is a great unit, and strong, I still use a 400 with a trans brake and no SP for racing, but I haven't given any thought to a transbrake/SP.
    Larry

Hi Larry,

With a lot of power I don't think I'd transbrake a SP unit...it wouldn't have any of the usual anti-ballooning add-ons to keep it happy, unless some of the rebuilders like Trishield are doing more than I was aware of.

The general consensus is that a fixed pitch converter is more consistent than a SP at the track, even running the SP on a timer.

Interesting note...I believe one of that F.A.S.T. heavy hitters, Greg Gessler, runs the TH350C lockup trans in his 10 sec, stock appearing bias ply-tired GS!

Devon

So What is the best way to Control the converter for the street ?

Hooking up to the brake switch ? This applies 12v to the converter to get it in to High stall At stops And when you take your foot off the brake you will lose the High stall for any kind of launch / take off right away? this actualy would put you in low stall for take off the second you release the brake.

Or Using the timer control box?
    then it will be delayed 0-11 sec. depending on What you want to do.

While writing this post I Think i Awnsered my own question. I think the box is a better choice to be able to take advantage of the high stall working with the cam for launching both on the street and at the track . or is ther a disatvantage to doing this ??
    72 GS 755 4sp my first Buick Sure do miss Her
    72 GS 455 / GSX CLONE 8 year restomod ! Custom paint , 455 .30 over , TA Performance 413 cam , performer intake QJet by John Osborne , Kb 2 'Pulse headers , 3' x pipe exaust Th 400 Sp 3200 High stall PAE converter Cast 70 Stage 1 heads worked , 3:42 posi Cant beleive it is almost done ,If there is such a thing

Quote Originally Posted by GSX1 View Post
    So What is the best way to Control the converter for the street ?

Hooking up to the brake switch ? This applies 12v to the converter to get it in to High stall At stops And when you take your foot off the brake you will lose the High stall for any kind of launch / take off right away? this actualy would put you in low stall for take off the second you release the brake.

Or Using the timer control box?
    then it will be delayed 0-11 sec. depending on What you want to do.

While writing this post I Think i Awnsered my own question. I think the box is a better choice to be able to take advantage of the high stall working with the cam for launching both on the street and at the track . or is ther a disatvantage to doing this ??
    Hi guys, I just discovered I have a SP tranny in my 67 Riv, I'm very excited about this! Now I've begun leaning all about what I can do with it. I've just got a couple of questions about it.
    What's the best way of running a kick down switch? The car is missing all evidence of ever having and switches or brackets for the kickdown, where should I mount the switch?
    Secondly, for the high / low stall, if I apply 12V to the right terminal on the SP plug, will it give me a high stall when I'm at a stop light so I can smoke the bags easier? Then if I leave the 12V switched on will it give me amazing gas milage? Or do I turn the switch off to get better gas milage? I'm just trying to get my head around how it works.

cheers, Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi-Riv View Post
    Hi guys, I just discovered I have a SP tranny in my 67 Riv, I'm very excited about this! Now I've begun leaning all about what I can do with it. I've just got a couple of questions about it.
    What's the best way of running a kick down switch? The car is missing all evidence of ever having and switches or brackets for the kickdown, where should I mount the switch?
    Paul, by far the stock setup is the way to go, see http://home.comcast.net/~shinzan/ST400_linkage.jpg . The stock setup gives you high stall any time the throttle is closed, and any time the throttle is 2/3 open or more. The plunger switch next to the carburetor also gives you detent (passing gear) at 3/4 throttle or so.

Secondly, for the high / low stall, if I apply 12V to the right terminal on the SP plug, will it give me a high stall when I'm at a stop light so I can smoke the bags easier? Then if I leave the 12V switched on will it give me amazing gas milage? Or do I turn the switch off to get better gas milage? I'm just trying to get my head around how it works.
    If you want to control the converter with a momentary switch, you'll get high stall whenever +12V is applied to the top spade terminal on the left side of the transmission case. For better fuel economy while cruising, keep your finger off the switch for low stall.

I still make use of the idle stator switch shown in View B, so the converter is in high stall at idle to help prevent the converter from lugging the idle down. I no longer use the plunger switch next to the carb in View C, as my transmission doesn't require passing gear and I control high stall while driving with a microswitch on my column shifter as described above.

Devon

Another very quick way to ID a s/p converter is that the splines are very deep on the s/p and you cannot feel them. You can ID a s/p blindfolded!

Check that your trans still has the switch pitch function. With the engine off, applying 12V to either of the electrical tabs should cause a "click" inside.

You could use the original type switches on the throttle linkage; there are no timers or torque sensing. Aftermarket kickdown switches can be mounted. I prefer the slide switch the General put just above the gas pedal in most cars & trucks using a THM400 trans.

With a simple kickdown, you still neeed a stator control. Many use a manual switch to select the performance mode (high stall, 12V applied to stator lug) or the economy mode (low stall). A diode to the brake light circuit can put you in high stall at a stop. Some timers are available to better match your needs. A combination of manual & automatic stator control can be done. For street driving, I use a slide kickdown and a stator control with timers + torque sensing to cover idle, mid range, and WOT. Bruce Roe

cheers, Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast