Welcome to V8Buick.com.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Cool Re: VP converter- Trans visual ID guide

I bought my car and was told it had a Switch Pitch Turbo 400 in it.

1970 Buick GSX (tribute car), 455 Stage 2, TB 400, 3.42 posi.

I have a on / off toggle switch hooked up to it.

When I have it off it seems like an easyer shift, when I turn it on I get a snapper shift.

It doesn't seem to change my idle RPM though when I turn it on or off, should it ???

I also don't see any change in the RPM when I'm going at speed ether. Should I be seeing a difference in RPM at speed ???

I would have to check as far as to how it's powered, I had to replace the switch but I only replaced the switch, I didn't chase the wires to see were they went. But I would say it's only a on / off switch as there is nothing hooked up by the carb or anywere else that I can see that would control the tranny.

It was wrote up like this in the add:

Backing up the big block is a unique Turbo 400 outfitted with a "switch pitch" transmission and converter. With the simple flick of a switch located on the side of the console, this transmission will give you a high stall speed for performance driving, and a low stall speed for economy cruising. This equates to having the stall of a 10" converter for strip use and the stall of a 12" or 13" converter for street and highway driving, resulting in a half-second quicker ET on the strip and 2-3 more mpg on the street.

You folks have any thoughts ???

Thanks

David
    "Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway" John Wayne

BCA # 45934 / Central New England Chapter, BCA / BPG #2313
    Buick GS Club of America # 2943 / Northeast GS/GN Club

Now: 1970 Buick GSX Tribute Car, Stage 2 455, SP TB 400, 3.42 Positraction
    Before:
    1968 Buick GS California, Midnight Blue, 350 ST300, than a 1974 455 TB400
    1971 Buick GS, Lime Mist Green, 350 TB350
    1974 Buick Century Wagon, Dark Brown, 455 TB400
    2000 Buick Regal

Default Re: VP converter- Trans visual ID guide

Quote Originally Posted by DavidC77 View Post
    I bought my car and was told it had a Switch Pitch Turbo 400 in it.

1970 Buick GSX (tribute car), 455 Stage 2, TB 400, 3.42 posi.

I have a on / off toggle switch hooked up to it.

When I have it off it seems like an easyer shift, when I turn it on I get a snapper shift.

It doesn't seem to change my idle RPM though when I turn it on or off, should it ???

I also don't see any change in the RPM when I'm going at speed ether. Should I be seeing a difference in RPM at speed ???

I would have to check as far as to how it's powered, I had to replace the switch but I only replaced the switch, I didn't chase the wires to see were they went. But I would say it's only a on / off switch as there is nothing hooked up by the carb or anywere else that I can see that would control the tranny.

It was wrote up like this in the add:

Backing up the big block is a unique Turbo 400 outfitted with a "switch pitch" transmission and converter. With the simple flick of a switch located on the side of the console, this transmission will give you a high stall speed for performance driving, and a low stall speed for economy cruising. This equates to having the stall of a 10" converter for strip use and the stall of a 12" or 13" converter for street and highway driving, resulting in a half-second quicker ET on the strip and 2-3 more mpg on the street.

You folks have any thoughts ???

Thanks

David
    With the transmission in gear, you should notice a difference in RPM when you flip the switch. It isn't complicated. The electrical connection on the side of the transmission has 2 spades. The vertical one is the kick down, the horizontal one is the SP. Applying 12 volts to the connection gets you high stall. Taking it away, gets you low stall. Verify that you have 12 volts at the switch, and down near the transmission. Use a multi meter, or test light. You can use a jumper wire from the + battery terminal to test the solenoid inside the transmission. Remove the connection plug at the transmission. Touch the wire to each spade. You should hear the solenoid click each time you touch the spade with the wire, and remove it. The kick down solenoid and stator solenoid will each click with the application of 12 volts.
    Larry
    1998 "Fully Optioned" SC3800 Riviera
    70 GS 455 Stage1, TSP 470, 602 HP@ 5900, 589 TQ @ 4900
    TA Hyd Roller Cam, 230*/238*, 112, .544"/.577" lift, 4-7 swap
    MSD Digital 6+, Ignitionman Distributor w/MSD trigger
    THM400 with Ultimate 258mm converter, Gear Vendors OD
    AED 1000 HO Carb, 800 CFM 7042240 Quadrajet
    8.5 10 bolt, 3.73's Race weight 4025lbs.
    Best E.T. 11.54 Best MPH, 116.06
    Larrymta@verizon.net, GSCA #291
    BPG # 1063
    N.E. GS/GN Club Assistant Director

Quote Originally Posted by LARRY70GS View Post
    With the transmission in gear, you should notice a difference in RPM when you flip the switch. It isn't complicated. The electrical connection on the side of the transmission has 2 spades. The vertical one is the kick down, the horizontal one is the SP. Applying 12 volts to the connection gets you high stall. Taking it away, gets you low stall. Verify that you have 12 volts at the switch, and down near the transmission. Use a multi meter, or test light. You can use a jumper wire from the + battery terminal to test the solenoid inside the transmission. Remove the connection plug at the transmission. Touch the wire to each spade. You should hear the solenoid click each time you touch the spade with the wire, and remove it. The kick down solenoid and stator solenoid will each click with the application of 12 volts.
    AH OK, I'll try that, I don't remember if I really looked at it that way or not.

I have one of those new Power Probe testers http://www.powerprobe.com/powerprobe/Home.html
    so I will be able to do it easyer with that.

I let ya know what I find.

Before:
    2000 Buick Regal

Quote Originally Posted by LARRY70GS View Post
    With the transmission in gear, you should notice a difference in RPM when you flip the switch. The electrical connection on the side of the transmission has 2 spades. The vertical one is the kick down, the horizontal one is the SP. Applying 12 volts to the connection gets you high stall. Taking it away, gets you low stall. Verify that you have 12 volts at the switch, and down near the transmission. Use a multi meter, or test light. You can use a jumper wire from the + battery terminal to test the solenoid inside the transmission. Remove the connection plug at the transmission. Touch the wire to each spade. You should hear the solenoid click each time you touch the spade with the wire, and remove it. The kick down solenoid and stator solenoid will each click with the application of 12 volts.

Well I was doing some other work to her tonight and I thought about what you said as far as the RPM should drop, I had it jacked up on all 4 corners so the tires were off the ground. I got in and tryed throwing the switch while it was idleing, I didn't notice much change in the RPM when it was in park (if any), but when I put it into drive and I pushed the switch up there was a big change in the RPM.

Seeing that it did that I didn't take the Power Probe and test out the conections, I was sure it was working by the big RPM drop I saw.

Thanks for the help

Before:
    2000 Buick Regal

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12