Welcome to V8Buick.com.
Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: TA block

Default Re: TA block

We are now in fact building the patterns for the new block. Most everything we can think of has been built into the design. At this time three versions have been drawn.
    1st, standard replacement. This block will come with std 3.250 mains, std cam bearing tunnel (cam tunnel can be bored out to Ford 54mm), possibly .875" lifters std instead of .842". 4-bolt mains, the 3-centers are splayed, priority oiling. 18 head bolt pattern. Multi bolt trans case pattern. Oil pan will need to be modified; we will be building a patch panel to up date your stock style pan. All blocks are as strong as each other.
    2nd, special order. Same as above but with a raised cam. From 5.045" stock Buick to Ford 460 6.080". Block will come standard with 3.0 Ford main bearing and Ford cam tunnel (54mm). We are looking to have a belt drive made for this application. Starter bolt pattern to be Chevy. When cranks are made they will have a Chevy flange bolt pattern & Ford snout.
    3rd, special order. Same as 2nd design except with an 11.700 deck height. This should allow up to 5.750 strokes.

Also, there is a big chief style head on the drawing board. This head will also fit the stock iron blocks.
    Mike Tomaszewski
    TA Performance Products Inc.
    www.taperformance.com
    480-922-6807

Great news!!Keep up the good work .
    Hector
    '79 Electra Limited 350-4
    '95 Roadmaster Sedan 350-LT 1
    BCA 42718
    W.O.T. without a Cat

Mike, have you thought about splitting up the intake and exhaust ports to create 4 individual ports on the new heads, similar to the Dart "Buick" heads that were developed for the small block chevy motors? Would that design change help to equalize the flow between each port and allow more clearance for the pushrods? Just a thought, Randy
    Randy & Kelley Sprague
    67 Riviera
    98 Riviera SC-SOLD to my daughter
    02 Silverado LS

"Fast is only fun if you can do it more than once without dying in the process"

The Nation's Capitol,Washington,DC...S.E.

Quote Originally Posted by TA Perf View Post
    We are now in fact building the patterns for the new block. Most everything we can think of has been built into the design. At this time three versions have been drawn.
    1st, standard replacement. This block will come with std 3.250 mains, std cam bearing tunnel (cam tunnel can be bored out to Ford 54mm), possibly .875" lifters std instead of .842". 4-bolt mains, the 3-centers are splayed, priority oiling. 18 head bolt pattern. Multi bolt trans case pattern. Oil pan will need to be modified; we will be building a patch panel to up date your stock style pan. All blocks are as strong as each other.
    2nd, special order. Same as above but with a raised cam. From 5.045" stock Buick to Ford 460 6.080". Block will come standard with 3.0 Ford main bearing and Ford cam tunnel (54mm). We are looking to have a belt drive made for this application. Starter bolt pattern to be Chevy. When cranks are made they will have a Chevy flange bolt pattern & Ford snout.
    3rd, special order. Same as 2nd design except with an 11.700 deck height. This should allow up to 5.750 strokes.

Also, there is a big chief style head on the drawing board. This head will also fit the stock iron blocks.
    Mike: a word: nitromethane...has anyone used that word in reference to the "new" T/A block? Jay B.Britt,Jr.
    britt'sStage 1

That's where we started; it did not take long to realize that that would not work. We would have to move the lifters in the new block, which we can. But then the heads are married to only that style TA block. They would not work on a stock block. (Very limited sales). Lifter bore placement is a given. We really tried hard to make that happen.
    Mike Tomaszewski
    www.taperformance.com
    480-922-6807

Quote Originally Posted by britt'sStage 1 View Post
    Mike: a word: nitromethane...has anyone used that word in reference to the "new" T/A block? Jay B.Britt,Jr.
    Britt,
    Our new block will give you the best chance to say "I run nitromethane". I would love to see you do it.
    Mike Tomaszewski
    www.taperformance.com
    480-922-6807

The Nation's Capitol,Washington,DC...S.E.

Mike:Thanks for the wishful thoughts,now if you peered into the crystal ball and saw something that I didn't see,pass me a little note in the new catalog that I'm about to ask that you send me(by the way/the cost of new catalog is....?) But until that time,rather than go SCARY FAST ,and until my Buick is finished,I've invented a new class for NHRA and IHRA: PRO SPECTATOR. Jay B.Britt,Jr.
    britt'sStage 1

Quote Originally Posted by RAMKAT2 View Post
    Mike, have you thought about splitting up the intake and exhaust ports to create 4 individual ports on the new heads, similar to the Dart "Buick" heads that were developed for the small block chevy motors? Would that design change help to equalize the flow between each port and allow more clearance for the pushrods? Just a thought, Randy

what does that mean Dart "Buick" Heads. I've head of Dart heads but don't know that much about them. Are you saying that the were similar to a certain type of buick head. If so that would be great news to pass onto my chevy racing buddies, that are all using ported dart heads to keep up with my home ported stock buick.
    James Love

How do you make a Camaro cool? By putting a Buick engine in it.

The only thing better than a Buick powered chevy is a Buick powered Buick!

More Pixs of my cars

1973 ZSX Skymaro(Z28 Camaro) twin turbo 455 9psi 11.64 @ 120 high 10's on 12psi
    1971 Nova 455 has not seen track yet
    1972 Opel 4 cyl hope to goto turbo v6 fun
    1972 Skylark GS 455 12.80 @ 106
    1967 Skylark 455 has not seen track yet
    1971 Chevelle 307 17.79 @ 75 wife's car
    1969 Skylark 3504brl no track time yet

Fuel & Brake Systems Engineer
    "I can live with doubt and uncertainty and not knowing. I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong." - Feynman
    "Good data is precious. The problem I have is when some damned fool fails to use it properly." - Slingerland

WOW!! Thanks for the update Mike!! Are all these still aluminum blocks, or will there be any iron blocks available eventually? This news is certainly a shot in the arm during this "off season". Thanks Mike!!
    David Baker

1970 GS Stage1 4-speed
    One of only 664

Mike:
    Thanks for the info on the coming block. I sure hope I can make arrangements to get one for my Nostaglia Super Stocker. I have had to run so conservative to keep an engine together to go to all the races to win a Championship, it would be great to have an engine I can lean on to run with the fast Mopars. They are running big inches and Indy heads and there is no comparison between what I run and what I have to run againist. Luckly, I played my cards right this year to win the Championship with the NMCA. I think this block will enable me to build an engine to run low 9's with these Mopars. It would sure open some eyes to see a Buick running that fast. They think I'm fast now "for a Buick", I want to show them fast. Mike keep us posted.
    Jim Netherland
    2007 NMCA NSS World Champion

I've seen the Bulldog Block as Jim has one at his shop that's completed ready to go back on the dyno. I believe it's a street/strip with TA heads, unsure if they are 1's or 2's though. This 573 c.i. engine will put around 800 horsepower.
    Rob Margel

is the bulldog block aluminium??? if so did they use a different mold than the iron block??? if not it will be to thin for aluminium
    Rod & Danie'
    91 Regal 6.63 @ 209 mph, 1.01 60FT
    78 Skyhawk 8.54 154 mph =1](hand me down parts from Regal)[/SIZE]
    69 Riv 12.86 @106 on normal street tires.
    AESracing.net

Is the whole bulldog block deal dead??? or is there any hope?
    Shawn
    1986 Ttype 60k miles, Matts car. MANY mods 10 sec ride
    2005 Chevy Z71
    2013 GHIG Mustang BOSS 302.. 12.56@115 BONE STOCK
    1972 GS455 69k miles original except paint, 470 BBB w Stage 2 TEs in the works,

Quote Originally Posted by blown455 View Post
    is the bulldog block aluminium??? if so did they use a different mold than the iron block??? if not it will be to thin for aluminium
    It's aluminum, as I was able to lift the front of the fully built engine sitting on the stand. If it was iron I wouldn't be able to budge it.
    Rob Margel

The bulldog block at PAE was aluminum. The one that Bobb M. got was iron. If there are anymore machined ones around, I don't know of them or if there ever will be. Unless something changes with the Bulldog deal, we may as well forget it and keep focused on the TA block for any help.
    Jim N.

Thanks Mike T. for that progress report!
    Glen, GSCA#80, BPG #1179

My Brrrruick's
    70 Stage 1 auto, former NMCA D/Pure Stock Record Holder (David Fey, Dave Knudsen, Dave Johnson, Herb McCandless)
    70 Stage 1, 4sp, "Daddy's Toy" former IHRA Stock Record Holder (Melvin/Tommy Jackson)
    72 2dr Post Sedan, snot green, found 2004, running 2012 loaned to a friend in need. (often seen during rush hour)

Get Right with The Man

TTT

Any updates?
    Bill Mish

Was just at Scotty G's shop today picking up my shortblock and the drawings for the TA block and heads were on his desk for review when he gets back from Texas (hes racing this weekend one of Warren Johnsons old cars ) Pops said he qualified first ! Good luck to Scotty........ J.
    13.15 @107 65 Skylark Coupe, Burgundy Mist,black buckets,462,75 "AF" block, 10:1 TA 288-94h +4,Gessler TA SE Heads 59cc 300 206@.500,TA SP1,750 Speed Demon ,TA 500 fuel pump,Frnt cvr oil mods,Msd dist,Turbo 350, Coan Max perf. 2100 stall,2:56 Powertrax no slip:(TA shorty headers
    72 Skylark custom gs clone/modified 350
    72 Skylark 350
    72 REAL GS 350 -455 convertible 13.67 @ 97 mph
    32 FORD ROADSTER 350/T350-361hp
    90 Corvette Convertible
    84 MONTE CARLO SS
    06 TOYOTA TUNDRA DOUBLE CAB V8

Cool!

I can't wait!
    Bill Mish

How bout a TWIN TURBO 455 BBB - now that's what I'm talking about! Just need a GOOD block to make it happen................

Quote Originally Posted by Bent6 View Post
    How bout a TWIN TURBO 455 BBB - now that's what I'm talking about! Just need a GOOD block to make it happen................
    You and me both!
    alan

It isn't what happens to you that matters most, but rather what you choose to do about it.

'73 Estate wagon - Best ET 11.74, best MPH 117.13

The block patterns are about five weeks from going to the foundry.
    Mike Tomaszewski
    www.taperformance.com
    480-922-6807

Quote Originally Posted by TA Perf View Post
    The block patterns are about five weeks from going to the foundry.

Does this mean there will be blocks ready by the end of the year ?
    Eric
    NYCTA
    Past Buick's
    66 SKYLARK
    70 SKYLARK 462
    71 SKYLARK 350
    72 SKYLARK 350 CUSTOM
    72 RIVIERA
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/350b...rformancegroup
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1435...?ref=bookmarks
    -------------------------
    70 Skylark 350 Formally Jessica Rabbit (Jessie)
    Someday a 464 BBB STAGE 2 Head's Borg Warner T-10 Trans 3.73 gear...
    BPG Member 1232
    North Eastern Chapter Member 235

Oh Man! I just knew Santa was REAL!

Thanks, Mike T.

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast