Welcome to V8Buick.com.

Default battery and Epsom Salt

I have seen some info about using Epsom Salt to revive a dead battery. Supposidly all you have to do is add some epsom salt to warm water and add to the battery. This will help remove the sulfates from the plates and allow tha battery to accept a charge.
    Has anyone tried this? How much water and Epsom Salt to add to the battey? Did it work?
    My lawn mower battery is dead and I thought I might try to revive it before I try it on a Buick.

Dave
    Dave
    1969 GS convertible
    1971 Stage 1
    1969 Sport Wagon Melissa's car (sold)

Default Re: battery and Epsom Salt

I have never heard of this one about the salt but a friend of mine is experimenting with reversing the polarity of battery to see if they will last longer.This can be done by simply completely draining the battery and recharging it with the battery charger hooked up backwards.After charging pos becomes neg and vise versa.I think hes nuts but he is determined to try it in alternate stages and see if it lasts twice as long.He has a theory of why he thinks it would work but I do not understand it.......
    Bruce

Default Re: battery and Epsom Salt

We tried EDTA and Epsom Salts in college and got a little more life out of what would have been a dead player. Not worth the hassle if you ask me. Here's some info from Wikipedia:

Many vendors sell chemical additives (solid compounds as well as liquid solutions) that supposedly reduce sulphate build up and improve battery condition when added to the electrolyte of a vented lead-acid battery. Such treatments are rarely, if ever, effective.
    Two compounds used for such purposes are Epsom salts and EDTA. Epsom salts reduce the internal resistance in a weak or damaged battery and may allow a small amount of extended life. EDTA can be used to dissolve the sulphate deposits of heavily discharged plates. However, the dissolved material is then no longer available to participate in the normal charge/discharge cycle, so a battery temporarily revived with EDTA should not be expected to have normal life expectancy. Residual EDTA in the lead-acid cell forms organic acids which will accelerate corrosion of the lead plates and internal connectors.
    Devon
    Fuel & Brake Systems Engineer
    "I can live with doubt and uncertainty and not knowing. I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong." - Feynman
    "Good data is precious. The problem I have is when some damned fool fails to use it properly." - Slingerland