Welcome to V8Buick.com.

View Poll Results: What Ignition are ya running and what have you had issues with?

Voters
289. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mallory Unilite

28 9.69%
  • Mallory 9000

6 2.08%
  • MSD

103 35.64%
  • Other

152 52.60%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Ignition Poll.. What ya running?

Points. Stock curve. Guess I'll have to curve it at some point. Accell 7 MM wires, stock coil. Never misses a lick.

I have been using point dist converted to pickup with Stinger S4 and this one is hard to start now so thinking about Summit brand since it has a retard. My initial timing is set at 42 at 3500 so I need retard. They are out of stock on their coil so I'll probably go Mallory coil. Has anyone tried Summit 850700?

Quote Originally Posted by ronbz455 View Post
    I have been using point dist converted to pickup with Stinger S4 and this one is hard to start now so thinking about Summit brand since it has a retard. My initial timing is set at 42 at 3500 so I need retard. They are out of stock on their coil so I'll probably go Mallory coil. Has anyone tried Summit 850700?

No, that is your total timing at 3500 RPM. The Stinger S4 retards the timing 1 1/2-2* continuously, every 1000 RPM. Your initial timing is at idle, and that is what is causing your hot crank problems. You can modify your distributor to run more mechanical advance so that you can run less initial timing, and that will solve your problem also. That would require you to disassemble the distributor.

That Summit box lists a 3 stage timing retard. Not sure if that includes a crank retard, which is what you need to solve your hard crank problem.
    Larry
    1998 "Fully Optioned" SC3800 Riviera
    70 GS 455 Stage1, TSP 470, 602 HP@ 5900, 589 TQ @ 4900
    TA Hyd Roller Cam, 230*/238*, 112, .544"/.577" lift, 4-7 swap
    MSD Digital 6+, Ignitionman Distributor w/MSD trigger
    THM400 with Ultimate 258mm converter, Gear Vendors OD
    AED 1000 HO Carb, 800 CFM 7042240 Quadrajet
    8.5 10 bolt, 3.73's Race weight 4025lbs.
    Best E.T. 11.54 Best MPH, 116.06
    Larrymta@verizon.net, GSCA #291
    BCA # 37548
    N.E. GS/GN Club Assistant Director

No I was saying that is where I set my total timing at 3500. I have a kill switch to kill the coil until engine cranks but it wont spark enough to start it unless I cycle the switch alot during cranking. It has 12 volts when I turn on the switch every time at the coil and at the module. Before that it started every time. I had another S4 redone by lesley Long for hotter fire and after 5 years it started not firing and shutting off. Do you have an extra S4 to sell? This car and the other one I raced always ran 10.75 to 11.0s. Always had Stinger on them but you cant buy them anymore so it's time to change but I have to be able to retard the timing the higher the RPMs go.

Quote Originally Posted by ronbz455 View Post
    No I was saying that is where I set my total timing at 3500. I have a kill switch to kill the coil until engine cranks but it wont spark enough to start it unless I cycle the switch alot during cranking. It has 12 volts when I turn on the switch every time at the coil and at the module. Before that it started every time. I had another S4 redone by lesley Long for hotter fire and after 5 years it started not firing and shutting off. Do you have an extra S4 to sell? This car and the other one I raced always ran 10.75 to 11.0s. Always had Stinger on them but you cant buy them anymore so it's time to change but I have to be able to retard the timing the higher the RPMs go.
    I don't have a Stinger, but someone may. Try posting in Parts Wanted. Most of the boxes I see have step retards. They don't continuously retard like the Stinger.
    Larry
    1998 "Fully Optioned" SC3800 Riviera
    70 GS 455 Stage1, TSP 470, 602 HP@ 5900, 589 TQ @ 4900
    TA Hyd Roller Cam, 230*/238*, 112, .544"/.577" lift, 4-7 swap
    MSD Digital 6+, Ignitionman Distributor w/MSD trigger
    THM400 with Ultimate 258mm converter, Gear Vendors OD
    AED 1000 HO Carb, 800 CFM 7042240 Quadrajet
    8.5 10 bolt, 3.73's Race weight 4025lbs.
    Best E.T. 11.54 Best MPH, 116.06
    Larrymta@verizon.net, GSCA #291
    BCA # 37548
    N.E. GS/GN Club Assistant Director

Quote Originally Posted by gsx678 View Post
    Who is running what and who has had issues with what?
    MSD ready to run set-up...
    Spun Distrubutor Gear... had a high volume oil pump....put the stock points set up back in....was told i needed a Distrubutor gear oiler and get rid of the high oil volume pump... Still trying to find a replacement gear.. I'm kinda a novice

You're right. Had a high volume back in the days but I didn't have a 6qt oil pan. Burnt 2 cranks up then went to the Kenne Bell booster plate and the adjustible pressure plug. I have it set to have close to 100lbs at launch and 30 at idle. It has worked great for years with .002 clearance in mains and rod bearings.

After pertronix crapped out twice i went with breakerless se. Car woke up with both though!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sskilla View Post
    MSD ready to run set-up...
    Spun Distrubutor Gear... had a high volume oil pump....put the stock points set up back in....was told i needed a Distrubutor gear oiler and get rid of the high oil volume pump... Still trying to find a replacement gear.. I'm kinda a novice
    I might have a gear.. PM me..

Did it mess up the gear or just shear the pin..

---------- Post added at 09:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 PM ----------

Hmm.. Stock distributor with Pertonix lobe sensing points replacement trigering a Mallory 6 box with a map sensor. Running 22 initial with 34 total in at about 2K with really light springs. Car stalls at 2800. With the MAP sensor I pull a little timing with boost depending on the fuel grade and weather.. 10* start retard. I run 87 octane most of the time these days.. That's the turbo car..

On the GS 350 is a Crane Xri.. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED as a stock points replacement.
    Jay Davenport
    70 Skylark 455... Needs paint and interior
    72 GS 355.. Sold
    71 Skylark 355 Mark Burton Twin Turbo 7.67@ 92.1 W/2.01 60ft Ecoboosted SOLD

I don't think I would run High volume today unless I had an Indianapolis Machine shop gring my crank or do anything to a Buick 455 like line bore or crank grinding. But I am thinking about if I have a block and crank that I don't care about I could let them grind it like a Chevy and put a high volume pump in it and a 10 qt oil pan in it and see how long it lasts. I would love to run Ice Ignition but don't have the money cause it's like Stinger and it is worth 2 tenths faster in the 1/4 mile. I know.

Quote Originally Posted by jay3000 View Post
    I might have a gear.. PM me..

Did it mess up the gear or just shear the pin..

---------- Post added at 09:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 PM ----------

Hmm.. Stock distributor with Pertonix lobe sensing points replacement trigering a Mallory 6 box with a map sensor. Running 22 initial with 34 total in at about 2K with really light springs. Car stalls at 2800. With the MAP sensor I pull a little timing with boost depending on the fuel grade and weather.. 10* start retard. I run 87 octane most of the time these days.. That's the turbo car..

On the GS 350 is a Crane Xri.. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED as a stock points replacement.
    If I needed a non steel gear I would go with the BOP engineering composite.
    Doug Gorton
    Gravity, it's only a theory.
    Trying is the first step towards failure
    -Homer Simpson
    GSX clone- May 2002
    Supercharged 462-April 2010
    1973 Ski Nautique 351w
    87 GN- August 2005

12. Default Re: Ignition Poll.. What ya running?

Stock recurved HEI, performance coil 8 mm wires and electronic plugs, Absolutely no problems, starts fast, neck snapping acceleration and runs better than any car in my yard.

Quote Originally Posted by gsgnnut View Post
    Stock recurved HEI, performance coil 8 mm wires and electronic plugs, Absolutely no problems, starts fast, neck snapping acceleration and runs better than any car in my yard.
    Electronic plugs? Please elaborate...
    Sent from the dust in front of you!

I'm running a Mallory HyFire VI-AL Digital CD Ignition, Mallory Comp S/S 42 Series Distributor and Mallory Promaster Coil. My engine has never run better.

Dave
    Dave

Just your typical Canadian/American.

"We have nothing to fear, but running out of beer."

1967 Buick GS400
    2007 Dodge Magnum SRT8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsJSWThvubU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jpuOFJnUlo

15. Default Re: Ignition Poll.. What ya running?

MSD 8517 Pro Billet Distributor, MSD 6AL box, MSD Blaster 3 coil, MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor plug wires, AC/Delco spark plugs.
    MarkO
    "There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Raoul Duke
    Street Sleeper~'70 Skylark Holiday Coupe
    Build-> http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.ph...ge-Find/page10
    N2O-> http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.ph...-Nitrous-facts
    Hydraulic Clutch &T/O Bearing-> http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.ph...-chime-in-here

Mallory Comp SS w/ Mallory 6AL, Mallory 8mm Prowires, and Mallory coil on my sons 67 350 powered Skylark. Its all brand new but workin well so far!

just switched to all msd billet distributor, 6al box and blaster coil. AWESOME. started with a stock pionts, went to pertronix conversion which worked ok then to HEI wich cuked tried two different modules didnt like either then the msd stuff

70 Skylark post sedan.37000 original miles new .060 over '68 430, TA Stage 1 SE aluminum heads, roller rockers, TA 472 cam, SP1, FAST 2.0 fuel injection, MSD Ignition,Hooker Super Comps, 200-4r, 3.65 10 bolt posi, pypes 3 inch stainless exhaust, x pipe,electric lake pipes

18. Default Re: Ignition Poll.. What ya running?

on my 1970 455- GM Hei, perf coil, wires , recurved, Electronic plugs

19. Default Re: Ignition Poll.. What ya running?

Quote Originally Posted by moleary View Post
    MSD 8517 Pro Billet Distributor, MSD 6AL box, MSD Blaster 3 coil, MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor plug wires, AC/Delco spark plugs.
    Update since last posted to work with the N2O better.
    MSD 6AL out, Mallory 685 HyFire 6 box in. AC Delco plugs out, NGK plugs in.
    MarkO
    "There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Raoul Duke
    Street Sleeper~'70 Skylark Holiday Coupe
    Build-> http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.ph...ge-Find/page10
    N2O-> http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.ph...-Nitrous-facts
    Hydraulic Clutch &T/O Bearing-> http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.ph...-chime-in-here

Just looked at the TA-Performance catalog and they seemed to like Mallory over MSD.
    Searched the forum for "Mallory" and found this interesting thread and was surprised that so few voted on Mallory.

I thought on buying a Mallory SS Distributor and a Flame-thrower ignitor. Perhaps the Mallory control box, but it was expensive.

Most posts are old here so i wonder if the majority still likes MSD now 2015?

(now using stock with Pertronix Ignitor)

Angry Re: Ignition Poll.. What ya running?

Had points, switched to the Pertronix II and the matching Flame Thrower II coil. The Muscle Car restoration shop I frequent hosted a Saturday morning Napa Winery & pot luck run. About 120 miles round trip and everything was going fine, for a while. Cruising along with Corvettes, Chevelles, Pontiacs, etc and I fall out of line to the side of the road. Plenty of gas left in the tank but the car just died without a peep, no sputtering, no coughing, just dead. I checked under the hood, I'm getting gas but no damn spark! Called AAA no biggy but I had two guest in my car, what a bummer for them.

In my garage I start troubleshooting, I check for 12 volts, key in on position and check the 12 volt wire to coil, all is well. I remove the flamethrower, and replace it with stock coil and used the stock resistor coil wire, and mounted the Pertronix wires on the coil. Turned the car over and it started right up. I'm thinking the flamethrower is the culprit, to verify I put it back on and used the direct 12v wire, the car started right up, WTH!

Something just smells of faulty Pertronix unit causing intermittent failure, has anyone experienced this? I will be damned if I go on another run with Pertronix in my distro. I ordered the BREAKERLESS-SE ELECTRONIC IGNITION CONVERSION and will install that with my stock coil and keep a set of points in my glove box.

Anyway, it's been a long day and I'm gonna go relax as best I can. I do what to know if anyone has experienced this and or if anyone thinks it might have been something else.

Thanks
    Gary

1972 Buick Skylark, V8-350, AT, AC, PS, PB, 8.5 rear, TA-Performance Intake, QuadraJet POWA, TA-Performance Headers, Dual Exhaust with Dynoflow Ultra Flo, Breakerless SE electronic ignition.

The Lectric Limited unit is the best on the market for sure.

Frank Brooks, Austin, TX USA

1976 Riviera original everything 78K
    WOT Charter Member
    2016 GMC HD2500 Denali 4WD CC Duramax/Allison 1000(DD)

I've been running a stock recurved distributor with Mallory Unilite and MSD-5 since 1981 in my 70 Stage car. Distributor has been in three different motors and always fires when everything else is correct.

I will be swapping to a smallbody HEI with MSD 6AL and Blaster 2 coil in the near future and moving the Unilite over to my 350 car that is still points.
    Greg -
    - - -
    1970 GS Stage 1 (owned August 1980) 462 Edelbrock heads, TA212, 4 wheel disc, Turbo 200-4R, close ratio steering, tubular front arms, 3.73 TrueTrac
    1971 GS 350 (8/16/14) 4 speed, 91k stock, converted to front discs and tubular uppers

70 GS 455 original distributor with points!

stock distributor with crane springs and stock points. No issues.
    1971 LeSabre Custom 4 door hardtop
    1973 LeSabre Custom 2 door hardtop

My Free RPM-Speed-Gear Ratio Calculation Tool

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234