Welcome to V8Buick.com.

Default Acid Dipping Cost?

Does anyone have a clue to how much it might cost to get a pair of 70-72 skylark front fenders & deck lid acid dipped?
    Thanks,Jeff
    Jeff
    1972 GS Stage1 Under Restoration
    Now Sold

I had rear differentials done at Redi-Strip (I think they changed their name now) in Allentown, PA for $75 each. It is expensive but worth it, IMO.
    Marc B
    Ex Owner 1971 GSX 455 4-speed Limemist
    Now looking for 70-72 GS or 442 Convertible!
    Member BPG #1562
    Member GSCA #1004

Jeff,
    Do you mean having the fenders professionally stripped at a Redi-Strip franchise? In such a case, I'd imagine $50-75 a fender, today. Back in the mid 90's, I had two car trailer loads of fenders, hoods, coresupports, wheels, etc done by local Redi-strip franchise (now closed). Def cheaper, per piece, if you bring them a LOT of pieces & also send a lot of other folks there way. Have no idea pricing today but believe there is a franchise in Memphis, poss one in Lexington, KY. Might ck Hemmings services offered.

Acid dipping was a practice performed by early A/S, B/S builders. Thinned the metal, made fenders, decklids, doors, etc much lighter. Most of this work was done in MI, northern IN heavy industrialized area. Nearly impossible to have done today. Might ask Casey & Dave H in the Pure stock forum. Someone with ties to the auto industry has got to have an idea if anyone is still doing this today.

The main reason i want to get the decklid done is,while it's a nice decklid you can hear bits of rust particles rattling around inside.I was under the impression that having the part acid dipped was the only cure for getting rid of the rust particles.Thought while i was at it i'd get my front fenders done as well,maybe my core support too.
    I think there is a place in Evansville,In that does this,i have to further investigate.That would not be a bad drive for me.
    Anyone have any opinions or know about the supposed place in Evansville?
    Thanks,Jeff
    Jeff
    1972 GS Stage1 Under Restoration
    Now Sold

Jeff The Redi Strip, or whatever they are called(Look in Hemmings..they always run an ad and have a few locations around the country) places use a caustic type solution I believe. This is what you are looking for. Casey Marks knows of a place up in Michigan that strips and then dips the parts in epoxy primer..kind of pricey but looked very nice. Thnx Patton