Welcome to V8Buick.com.

Default Ever Heard of OBD 1.5?

So we are trying to fix my Mom's '94 Regal.

There are some weird problems about a racing idle speed, occasional stalling/dying, and some other weirdness.

At first I thought this was OBDI, but we can't even do the "paper clip trick" to read the codes. Then we find on the net that apparently some '94-'95 cars have this sorta cross between OBDI and OBDII- "The odd vehicles used the 16 pin connector but not OBDII compliant hardware. This system was present on the 94-95 GM H-body cars, 94-95 Buick Regal, 95 Lumina, 95 Monte Carlo, 94-95 Grand Prix, 94-95 Cutlass Supreme, Chevrolet Beretta/Corsica 94-95, 94-95 Corvette, 95 Camaro and Firebird, Cavalier, Sunfire Buick Skylark, Achieva, Grand Am."

So anyhow, my (cheap) OBDI code reader doesn't work, and it we can't seem to read OBDII either. The only data port we can seem to find is a 12-pin connector (looks like standard OBD-I) but the pins are in the wrong place.

Anyone know how we can get codes out of this thing? Any other advice?

Thanks,

-Bob Cunningham
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1969 Buick Special 4-door, 455 w/ EFI

Default Re: Ever Heard of OBD 1.5?

Went through this on my Moms 95 Regal. No local shop could diagnose it. Occasionally just quit running. I Put a Crank Sensor on it after posing the question here. That was several years ago and its still running like a top!
    Dan

1969 Wildcat Convertible (14.92 @ 91.54)

What motor? Check engine light on I assume?
    I think I found it.
    Ground terminal D - top row 3rd from the left.
    This should flash Code 12, followed by any codes in the system.
    Post up what you find.
    '73 Buick Estate Wagon 455

Boris,

This is a 3.8 motor. When you say to ground the D terminal, do you mean jump it to the A terminal? Or just touch it to a body ground somewhere? Maybe it doesn't make a difference. I guess I'm a little nervous about grounding the D terminal in case its the wrong thing, then we might fry the ECM, but at this point it's our best hint...

Floyd,

Interesting thought on the crank sensor. How did you arrive at the crank sensor? Just a "random parts replacement" that happened to work?

Thanks guys!

-Bob C.

Quote Originally Posted by bobc455 View Post

Floyd,

Interesting thought on the crank sensor. How did you arrive at the crank sensor? Just a "random parts replacement" that happened to work?

-Bob C.
    Well.....I asked here. But those countertop covers at Autozone helped. They list common failures and fixes for computer cars. Under occasional stalling Crank Sensor was the only thing checked (might of been a few things listed, but I think the CS was all that hadn't been tried) It was a 45 min job.
    Dan

1969 Wildcat Convertible (14.92 @ 91.54)

I have a 95 Riviera with the non supercharged 3800 with the same OBD II plug and OBD I setup. I've refered to it as OBD II.5, I was told this is the same setup as the 94-95 Regal. Luckily a guy I work with has a Actron code scanner that works pretty well. I don't rememeber which model it is but this link should help.

http://www.actron.com/product_category.php?id=249
    Mike Davis

69 Skylark 350 (SOLD 6/2/09) Yeah, I miss it.
    87 Regal Turbo T (12.67@108 - Stock)
    2013 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT (Daily Driver)
    Past Buicks owned:
    95 Riviera - 87 Lesabre T - 87 Lesabre T Type - 87 Regal Limited - 87 & 90 4 dr Lesabre daily drivers
    GSCA #1676 - BPG #2001 - A&P, IA, Private Pilot ASEL

One part says ground D, the other ground B. I'd try B first to flash for codes. D is for cars equipped with the SEC light, which I assumed you had. Ground it out, and it will show you the way to $$$$.
    '73 Buick Estate Wagon 455

I can't see the photo/attachment at work, but if you look at the photo I attached above, you'll see that there is nothing in the "B" terminal to ground!

We'll see what happens when we ground the D terminal (I hope we don't fry the ECM)

-Bob C.

No Lift is offline Platinum Level Contributor

I had a 95 Riviera with the Supercharged Series I 3800. It had the OBD I electronics with the OBD II connector. I purchased an Actron Scantool way back when and the OBD II connector. That did the trick. My Scantool used plug-in cartridges. The one I used was the GM 198X-1995 cartridge. Now that I have a 99 Riv I picked up a OBD II cartridge off E-Bay. They are long out of production. This is a scanner that gives codes and readouts of the systems sensors so it is good for diagnostic work.
    I could let you borrow it if you pay the shipping. I also may have an extra cable which goes from a Actron Scanner to whatever connector you have. I'd sell that for half of whatever you can get one new. This way if you can find someone locally with one of the newer Actron tools you'd be in business. It is just like the GM OBD I cable they list. Send me a PM.
    Mike Pesarchick
    1976 Century 455
    BPG #1572
    NE GSGN #29
    GSCA #8
    Texas Mile 164.4 MPH

Thanks for the help, guys.

Turned out to be a throttle position sensor. Found a local mechanic who could read the codes. When we first described the symptoms he said "TPS", but since he could read the codes he was able to confirm it. Weird set of symptoms, but as long as it's cured we're okay. Drives great again.

Apparently there was also a leaking gasket of some sort on the throttle body.

-Bob C.

Hey guys

Just wanted to thank everyone for the suggestions. Bob was posting for me as my computer access is very limited while I am here (not home). I was not able to get the codes to flash and ended up taking it to a good local GM mechanic who had the right reader. I did call Actron and they said the AutoXray 6000 comes with the right cable adapter things to read those codes. I'm glad I didn't try to tackle the TPS with no tools, it's in a funny location and would have taken me three times as long as it took them. I would have been borrowing tools and all that... working on cars away from my tools is not fun!

It was indeed the TPS, the car runs right as rain again. Thank you everyone for the help.

-Derek
    '98 Buick Riviera Pulley Boys MPS 3.2, Autolite 104s, 180 stat, HS 1.9 rockers, Intense/Custom PCM, Rear PEM, Powerlog, R/T 3" DP w HF cat, Custom FWI = high 13s @98.6
    '73 Buick LeSabre - project under construction - 350? 455? 500? haven't decided yet

That is one advantage for us turbo guys.

I have an OTC-4000 (must have turbo diagnostic and tuning tool) that reads the OBD-1 "confusers" and gives live read of all the sensors while it is running.

Mikey
    "Still, if you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without bloodshed, if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not so costly, you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance for survival. There may be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no chance of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves."
    Winston Churchill

My son has a 95 z/28 with the same odd computer hook up . It has been a pain to get codes . He knows one guy that has the equipment to read it and then we do the grunt work .

Mike Williamson
    71 GSX Stage1
    67 GS 400

BPG #1996