Welcome to V8Buick.com.

Thread: Piston notching

Default Piston notching

I had my blocked decked by using the chamber cc#s for the heads out of the catalog and when I received the heads and measured them I needed to notch the pistons in order to achieve the optimal piston to valve clearance.
    My question is, can you over notch the piston. Yes, I realize you can blow through the piston.
    I think I'm just nervous because I usually don't trust catalogs and I've never had to notch pistons before.

Default Re: Piston notching

What are your clearances now? I've been told that generally as long as you have .100 or more, you're good.

If you don't know, it would be a good idea to find out. Just use the old modeling clay on the piston method and a good digital micrometer.
    Phillip Sedlon
    Wadswoth,OH
    1970 GS convertible, 462/200-4R, (4250 lbs with me), 11.86 at 112 mph, 1.59 60'
    1978 Chevy Z28, 350/4-speed, no where near as fast.........yet!

I would think the piston top should not be less than 0.125" thick at any point.
    Scott

I did measure before I started and it was under .100. By the time I cut through all of them to make them equal I ended up with .130. One opinion I received is that it's good insurance encase of a mis shift.

Just to confirm, when you say .125 that's going to be on the piston brow?

The notches on these Speed Pros are .250 measured from the brow to the flat on the top. A little deep for my liking if you look at the 3rd pic. and real close to the edge in the 2nd. There not too much material there but they did work. I don't think you will have a problem. I notched pistons a few times by hand. I went with .080 in., .100 ex. and .050 for the side. Never had a problem.
    Ray
    Attached Images Attached Images

The pics are a big help. I think I can sleep better tonight. I tried to upload the pics of mine but I can't seem to get them to fit in the file size required by the website. Any ideas?

No Lift is offline Platinum Level Contributor

I've used the Isky notch cutters and they work great while the pistons are in the block. I think the biggest interference place is along the rim area and then some in the dish. My notches look about the same but shallower.
    Looking at the pictures I've never had to notch the Speed Pro pistons that deep for any cam I've used that works ok with the compression that they will give(10:1). Because of this you never have to worry about weakening the piston.
    Mike Pesarchick
    BPG #1572
    NE GSGN #29
    GSCA #8
    USFRA "130 MPH Club" member

Make sure you don't confuse notch depth with crown thickness.

After decking my old 430 to zero, I had to deepen the piston notches too, and had the same questions - how far can you go? I stopped at 0.120" thick (forged pistons) and did not have a problem with the notches, although detonation ruined the engine othrwise.

I grabbed this off the shelf...

http://home.comcast.net/~shinzan/pistonthickness.jpg

Devon
    Fuel & Brake Systems Engineer
    "I can live with doubt and uncertainty and not knowing. I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong." - Feynman
    "Good data is precious. The problem I have is when some damned fool fails to use it properly." - Slingerland

All the input has been great. I finished notching today and they all look great. Just can't figure out how to decrease the photo size so I can attach some pics of the finished product.

After all the help everyone has given me it's time for me to give back. Isky told me they were no longer making cutters and the stock they had was limited, but they gave me the name of a company that did come through for me.

What ever you need they can make.

Lindy Tool Co.
    1117 Greenwood Ave.
    Waukegan, ILL.
    1-800-823-cuts
    http://www.lindytools.com/