Welcome to V8Buick.com.

Default Vortex Insert Cones and Mufflers: Any Experience with these?

I was looking through my JEGS catalog and found an ad for Vortex Cone Inserts. They supposedly dissipate sound energy, thus reducing the dB level, without reducing the scavenging ability of the header. (Sounds impressive now, doesn't it)

Anyone have any experience with these. I have a little issue with exhaust droning and being the consumer I am, must have these little doohickies.

Seriously, does this work or sound like it?

Also, I am calling it a day for my flowmaster mufflers; can't take the audiological abuse any longer. Are Walker Super Turbo's the way to go for sound reduction and exhaust note?

Robert Rennick
    Robert Rennick
    1970 G.S. Stage One Convertible

i have the dynomax ultra-flos. they're fairly quiet, they lack the flowmaster 'drone'...but i personally think flowmasters have a cooler note to them.

on the first question, are you talking about a merge collector?

David Mercer
    1971 Skylark, 350 4bbl

Thanks for the reply. No, these inserts look like cone shaped paper water cooler cups, except they are perforated. They have some that fit in the header collector and some that fit in the exhaust itself.

So you think the Dynomax are the most quiet for the most performance?

Thanks for the help.

RHR
    Robert Rennick
    1970 G.S. Stage One Convertible

the ultra-flos are straight-through mufflers, they flow great. i'm not sure about the super turbos, but a lot of guys use them. i'm not sure if they're a baffled muffler or if they're fiberglass-packed like mine.
    David Mercer
    1971 Skylark, 350 4bbl