Welcome to V8Buick.com.

Thread: Jim's story

Default Jim's story

Jim awaiting the next edition. Sounds so much like me and my Dad building Hydromatic transmissions for Oldsmobiles in the 50's. My first Olds was a 1955 88 4 dr sedan. I had to wait until after I was married to get my first 442. Many Cutlass cars because the Insurance was cheaper. I had to many points at the DMV. My insurance payments was more than my car payments.
    John

Default Re: Jim's story

It sounds like lot of guys . I had to go with the cousin and the neighbor cause my dad only knew how to smash the right pedal down. He had MOPARS and loved that 440 engine for its "passing power".
    Also I am worried that JW has this much time on his hands. I guess everyone is slowing down
    John & Terry Kemper
    GSCA #4322
    BPG #1373

70 Sportwagon

Don't worry about me not being busy John..

I had written those two out on my computer, from about 10pm till Midnight over the last few nights.. I just posted them yesterday after a final editing when I was taking a break from building a trans. Mike has been bugging me to get this new vendor thread for TSP filled up.

I am busier than ever..

JW
    Owner/operator

Tri-Shield Performance
    Jim Weise
    Founder/Owner
    V-8 Buick.com
    320-629-8999

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.
    Abraham Lincoln
    16th president of US (1809 - 1865)

Thats good to hear I was worried that you were just kicking around an empty shop with no Buick engines to build, no cars to paint, no paint markings to duplicate, no hinges to recoat, oh yeah Lots to do.
    John & Terry Kemper
    GSCA #4322
    BPG #1373

70 Sportwagon

Jim,Your stories and fondness for Buicks sounds so familiar. Reading them brought back memories of my first couple Buicks and my attempts to make them faster with my best friend from high school. I'm 41 now so I believe we're about the same age and grew up in the same era. My best friend,* well he's still my best friend and is waiting patiently for me to get my latest GS project done so we can hit the Track together. He runs high 9's in a very street driven 1970 Chevelle.* We share many of the same "covered in Tranny fluid" storries as you have!Good reading!Thanks for bringing back those memories!!Todd
    Todd Miller / DiecastMusclecars.com
    GSCA #1969
    Eau Claire, WI

Current Project:
    1970 Stage 1
    Frame off Restoration starting in 2017
    11 Second ET's with Factory Parts
    No "Race" Parts needed - Stay Tuned!

Restoration documented on my "DiecastMusclecars.com" Website / Click on the Buick Page

Post good

good

Great stories/history! reminds me of me in the early '80's. My first car was a turquoise '66 Riviers GS at 15. Right after, it was a '69 Electra convertible at 18,'73 Riviera GS and then a '74 Riviera GS Stage1 Landau. Yup. I had the Buick bug early on. I couldn't get enough info on Buicks back then. Keep em coming.

Jim,

I love the pictures and the comments about getting the car ready for a Central Ave cruise, brought memories flooding back. Spent many nights on the Sun Drive in scene in NE Minneapolis, lot's of very crazy stuff (lot's of strip cars full out racing all out on central or 88) but so much fun. I attached the only remaing picture of my early 80's, late 70's Central Ave car. Not as hot but it was a Buick. Picture was taken on Madeline Island in WI, one of our college road trip when I attended UMD. I also had a pretty mean 66 SS 396, but I always preferred a rag top for thise nights on Central.

When I got back in Buicks and found out you guys were in the neighborhood I really considered how lucky I was to be less than 5 miles from arguably the best Buick shop in the country.

Great Story, and I love the GS convert (I would have killed for that back then).

John Butorac
    Coon Rapids, MN

1971 Stage 1 GS Convert (Sold to Austrailia)
    1974 Sloan Documented GS 455
    1972 Stage 1 GS Convert (Sold)
    1972 Skylark Custom Convert (gone but not forgotten)
    1966 Chevelle SS 396 (gone but not forgotten)
    1965 Chevelle (gone but not forgotten)
    1976 Cutlass Xtreme (gone but not forgotten)
    1990 Porsche C4 (gone)
    1990 Porsche C4 Cab (gone)

Looking for More!!!!!!!

Hey John: I met my wife at the Sun Drive in in 1971. Used to hang out there
    too especially on weekends etc. I had and still have my Black 71' Stage 1 car.
    Ever see it there ? I think I might have talked to you before. Small world, I live in ham lake, Mn. Ever go to Anoka or N. St. Paul. I also have a 72'
    Red Skylark convert that I drive to the cruses. Ken

jim, my start on buicks (still going) is basically the same. my dads a buick guy. the first car we restored was a 71 electra 2 dr in 2004. I was 10, even with single exhaust the 455 sounded great.

in sept of 07 i fell in love with the 70-72 GS. Im still looking for one but will never forget the 71.

first car i drove at 12 in a parking lot was my dads 73 riv after we got it running.

so sort of similar stories?

i work at his buisness garages doing some odd jobs and easy repairs oil changes, brakes, inspections, tune ups, tire changes and balancing, filling the old ladies tires waiting for me to screw up, being picked on because im the new kid.......but i love every minute of it.

thanks for providing the site. honestly your stories are very inspiring and when i get the money im gonna buy my dad his dream car. a 73 stage 1 riv.

thanks again
    Louie
    Louie

1970 GS
    462 BBB - TH400 w/TSP converter - 3.23 8.5" posi rear
    1987 Grand National - 38,000 miles
    1971 Skylark- Project Stage2r
    1971 GS 455
    1971 GS Stage 1
    1972 GS Stage 1

Ken,

I am in Anoka at least 3-4 times a summer with my 74, and I also had a hertiage green & flame orange GS converts you may have ran into there also.

I have not noticed a black stage car, must have been one of the weekends I was at the lake because I never miss a Buick (usually there are not too many). I occasionally see other board memebers there too. The Anoka shows is the best around, and once again it is 3 miles from my house.

I will look for the car.

Lucky again,

John
    Quote Originally Posted by 71Stage2 View Post
    Ever see it there ? I think I might have talked to you before. Small world, I live in ham lake, Mn. Ever go to Anoka or N. St. Paul. I also have a 72'
    John Butorac
    Coon Rapids, MN

1990 Porsche C4 (gone)

Looking for More!!!!!!!

Ken,

I am in Anoka at least 3-4 times a summer with my 74, and I also had a hertiage green & flame orange GS converts you may have ran into there also.

I have not noticed a black stage car, must have been one of the weekends I was at the lake because I never miss a Buick (usually there are not too many). I occasionally see other board memebers there too. The Anoka shows is the best around, and once again it is 3 miles from my house.

I will look for the car.

Lucky again,

John
    Quote Originally Posted by 71Stage2 View Post
    John Butorac
    Coon Rapids, MN

1990 Porsche C4 (gone)

Looking for More!!!!!!!