Welcome to V8Buick.com.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Your new Diamond pistons

Jim,
    Do you stock this piston in a higher CR? Im looking to go to 13 to 1 or 13.5 to 1. The higher CR piston tend to be a little lighter so much would they weight?
    Thanks in advance.
    Terrance Williams

Terrance,

No, don't stock a flat top.. but they are available on a custom order, based on the current dished piston.

Since it's the exact same piston, without the operation to create the dish, unless we specified additional lightening operations to be done, they would be a bit heavier.

I am set to do another order with Diamond shortly, let me know if you want me to check into this for you.

JW
    Owner/operator

Tri-Shield Performance
    Jim Weise
    Founder/Owner
    V-8 Buick.com
    320-629-8999

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.
    Abraham Lincoln
    16th president of US (1809 - 1865)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Weise View Post
    Terrance,

No, don't stock a flat top.. but they are available on a custom order, based on the current dished piston.

Since it's the exact same piston, without the operation to create the dish, unless we specified additional lightening operations to be done, they would be a bit heavier.

I am set to do another order with Diamond shortly, let me know if you want me to check into this for you.

JW
    Thanks for the info. Yes Im definately interested in them. With the amount of R&D you have invested in them it,s a no brainer. I do have a few questions.
    1st is it possible to achieve 13 to 13.5 to 1 with just the flat top version of this pistion? And could you use this in a 482 combo. and if so can you give the specs to achieve it.
    Thanks in advance.
    Terrance Williams

Yes, that compression is acheivable with a flat top, just tailor you combustion chamber volume accordingly.

The 482 combo is possible, just come up with what rod length you want to use, and we can make the piston with the right pin/compression height.

The downside of the 482 combo is that there is no off the shelf modestly priced rods that are in the 6.7-6.8 C-C length range. I did look into this briefly a while back, and I recall a set of Eagles for the LS SBC that were around 6.5", but they were a little more spendy, in the $650 range if I recall correctly.

The 470 is an ecomomical way to build a BBB, without all the deck and intake refitting, and that is what I was really after here.

It's been my experience, that if your just after power, with no worries about idle quality, then until you put a billet crank in, and really increase the motor size, power increase is fairly modest over the 464/470 type of build.

But, we can do whatever you would like, as far as the pistons.

JW
    Owner/operator

Tri-Shield Performance
    Jim Weise
    Founder/Owner
    V-8 Buick.com
    320-629-8999

Abraham Lincoln

Jim are all drp pistons quality i found a set of std 455 0.30
    Buick 455
    -19cc Dish
    4.340" bore
    1.995" CD
    1.000 x 2.930 pin
    658 grams
    1/16-1/16-3/16 ring stackAre they a good piston to run ? with stock rods
    Thanks Dave
    Wish i could afford your 470 build just dont see it in my future
    72 GS 755 4sp my first Buick Sure do miss Her
    72 GS 455 / GSX CLONE 8 year restomod ! Custom paint , 455 .30 over , TA Performance 413 cam , performer intake QJet by John Osborne , Kb 2 'Pulse headers , 3' x pipe exaust Th 400 Sp 3200 High stall PAE converter Cast 70 Stage 1 heads worked , 3:42 posi Cant beleive it is almost done ,If there is such a thing

Apparently another satisifed customer...

JW
    Jim what are the engine specifications for your "Super Stage" Cast Iron engine. Please let me know as I will be considering purchasing one from you very soon for my 1970 GS 455 Stage1 - Original owner - 01/02/1970.

Sport 1,

I am just setting that section up on the TSP website now, it should be finished very shortly here. It has specs, dyno video, dyno sheets and pricing information for the complete line of "Super Stage" engines.

Basically a TSP "Super Stage" engine is a 470 shortblock with a hyd roller cam-- with then a number of variations of cylinder head type, intakes, carbs and headers/exhaust manifolds to fit a wide variety of applications. The focus is on a very driveable engine, easy to live with, yet with good power output across a wide power band. Pump gas and lots of idle vacuum.

I will let you know when it's finished and posted should be just a day or two here.

Thanks

JW
    Owner/operator

Tri-Shield Performance
    Jim Weise
    Founder/Owner
    V-8 Buick.com
    320-629-8999

Abraham Lincoln

Sport 1,

I am just setting that section up on the TSP website now, it should be finished very shortly here. It has specs, dyno video, dyno sheets and pricing information for the complete line of "Super Stage" engines.

Basically a TSP "Super Stage" engine is a 470 shortblock with a hyd roller cam-- with then a number of variations of cylinder head type, intakes, carbs and headers/exhaust manifolds to fit a wide variety of applications. The focus is on a very driveable engine, easy to live with, yet with good power output across a wide power band. Pump gas and lots of idle vacuum.

I will let you know when it's finished and posted should be just a day or two here.

Thanks

JW

Thank you very much for your prompt response to my inquiry about your complete line of "Super Stage" engines. I look forward to reviewing the combinations on your TSP web site. Also, I would like to consider replacing my old Kenne-Bell Comp Switch Pitch transmission with one of your fixed pitch Level 2 transmissions along with your 9/12 inch Stage1 Torque Converters as I plan to use either 3.42 or 3.64 final drive rear-end gear ratio.

The detailed explanation you presented about the 400 transmission on your web-site really does say it all when it comes to how one really can & usually do really mess up the operation of the transmission as I have seen my transmission go from 1st to 3rd at 15 to 20 mph. I also know that there is nothing healthier than an upgraded BB Stage1 transmission as with your Level 2 upgrade.

I look forward to hearing from you about the ""Super Stage" engine combinations. Again, thank you

Sport1

Hi, I have had a look at the website and didn't get much there.

Are you still doing these shortblocks? Obviously I wouldn't expect the prices on the dummy invoice to be accurate five years down the track.

Quote Originally Posted by 65Larkin View Post
    Hi, I have had a look at the website and didn't get much there.

Are you still doing these shortblocks? Obviously I wouldn't expect the prices on the dummy invoice to be accurate five years down the track.
    The site is still under construction. I think Jim is slowly adding to it when he can. I'm sure he is still doing 470's. I love mine.
    Larry
    1998 "Fully Optioned" SC3800 Riviera
    70 GS 455 Stage1, TSP 470, 602 HP@ 5900, 589 TQ @ 4900
    TA Hyd Roller Cam, 230*/238*, 112, .544"/.577" lift, 4-7 swap
    MSD Digital 6+, Ignitionman Distributor w/MSD trigger
    THM400 with Ultimate 258mm converter, Gear Vendors OD
    AED 1000 HO Carb, 800 CFM 7042240 Quadrajet
    8.5 10 bolt, 3.73's Race weight 4025lbs.
    Best E.T. 11.54 Best MPH, 116.06
    Larrymta@verizon.net, GSCA #291
    BPG # 1063
    N.E. GS/GN Club Assistant Director

Yup, Larry is right Website has been a slow process this year.. I have been super-busy in the shop.

Building 470's all the time, price now is $5295 with your cores, $5600 if I provide the block and crank.

JW
    Owner/operator

Tri-Shield Performance
    Jim Weise
    Founder/Owner
    V-8 Buick.com
    320-629-8999

Abraham Lincoln

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12