Welcome to V8Buick.com.

Default VIN on title doesn't match the car...

Hi everyone, this is my first post and I hope it is in the right place. I have been working on my new obsession for a couple months now and just noticed that the VIN listed on the title is not an actual VIN number, or at least doesn't fit the profile of a period Buick VIN, and, it isn't the same number of the actual VIN on the body of the car. The car is currently registered till October to the person I bought it from so I'm assuming he had no problem but what do I tell the DMV when I want to register it in my name? Could it be an engine number on the title or??? Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Default Re: VIN on title doesn't match the car...

Hi Super K,
    I can only speak for New york because I had the same issue with my 70 GS.. My registration(title) was missing 1 number from the Vin on the car. When I went DMV I took a picture of the Vin ID tag on the car and showed them the mistake. The DMV made the mistake registering a car with the missing number and the previous owner never caught it (18 years of registrations). I find it the first time,thanks to the sloan museum!!So they took the copy of the picture and sent it to the Head DMV office and 8 weeks later got a new registration (title) with the correct number back. So it can be fixed..Again can only speak of NY. I would work on getting it fixed soon just in case you run into problems..

Quote Originally Posted by Cellguy View Post
    Hi Super K,
    I can only speak for New york because I had the same issue with my 70 GS.. My registration(title) was missing 1 number from the Vin on the car. When I went DMV I took a picture of the Vin ID tag on the car and showed them the mistake. The DMV made the mistake registering a car with the missing number and the previous owner never caught it (18 years of registrations). I find it the first time,thanks to the sloan museum!!So they took the copy of the picture and sent it to the Head DMV office and 8 weeks later got a new registration (title) with the correct number back. So it can be fixed..Again can only speak of NY. I would work on getting it fixed soon just in case you run into problems..
    Yeah, I want to start looking into it. It's just weird that the two numbers aren't even close...I can see the error in omitting 1 number from the VIN but my two numbers aren't even in the same realm...and somehow the last owner had it registered...thanks for the info.

I wouldn't put any more money in that car until you resolve the VIN issue..

Just my 2 cents..

Mike

Iggycat

NJ
    "It'll only cost a little more money, really"

GSCA #1045

Did you call the former owner for help?

Add a signature line when you can, so people know your name.
    Mike

Take a tracing of the VIN plate in the door jamb and bring it to the local DMV and ask
    Jason Cook
    BPG #1675
    "Expert in obsolete technology"

1968 Riviera GS- some assembly required
    1969 Riviera GS- my first car
    1970 Stage 1 4 speed Aquamist
    1971 GS 455 11.93@113.36
    1971 Skylark Custom convertible
    1972 GS-350 project car
    1970 Stellar Industries vintage go kart

When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty

Quote Originally Posted by mritter View Post
    Did you call the former owner for help?

Add a signature line when you can, so people know your name.
    Yep and he moved shortly after selling me the car....

My name is Kirsten : )
    "I've got those so long I'll see ya 'cause my Buick's outside waitin blues" -Tom Waits

: ) Kirsten

Quote Originally Posted by buick64203 View Post
    Take a tracing of the VIN plate in the door jamb and bring it to the local DMV and ask
    I thought about that but not sure about having them do a title search...The VIN checks out to the car, or at least the same make, model and year...just a funky other number on the title...
    "I've got those so long I'll see ya 'cause my Buick's outside waitin blues" -Tom Waits

Had same problem with GMC truck dmv made the mistake and they fixed it, on the other hand had the truck came from another state it has to go through sheriffs dept. then its a hole other problem. Good luck get the title right before you do any thing else.
    Keith

Super 55, The ID should read 5 = Super, B =1955 third digit the Plant followed by the sequential production number. These ID numbers can be found on the hinge pilar post and on the dash under the hood.

Louie--BCA#38102-BPG#2065-GN REG=BGN0003A

1950 Special 46D Sedanet Jetback
    1956 Century Riviera
    1962 LeSabre 2 door Hardtop
    1963 Wildcat (4639) factory 4 speed
    1965 Riviera
    1969 GS 350 Fireglow Orange Z code
    1971 GSx 455 Stage 1 Stratomist Blue
    1972 Riviera Boattail-SOLD
    1975 Chevrolet Ramp Truck
    1985 Riviera
    1987 GN w/purple pearl ghost flames
    1992 Roadmaster LT-1
    1995 Roadmaster Wagon
    1997 Riviera S/C
    2004 Rainier CXL - tow vehicle
    2010 Ford Sport Fusion AWD

Louie,

Yep, my Vin reads that way. It's just that the number listed on my title isn't that same number.

Looks like you have your work cut out for you this summer. Just kidding, should not be a problem.

Where is Dayton??
    Mike

Only a few options that I can think of. You have a title to a different car because you got screwed, DMV made an error, or he made a mistake and got title and cars messed up.
    Are the descriptions of the car, year, type, etc... correct on the title?
    Do a vin decode of both the number on the title and the number on the car. If one of them doesn't match what the car is, it's going to tell you a lot. If the tag on the car doesn't go with the type of car, you have problems, if the numbers on the title don't go to the appropriate model and year of Buick, you can show DMV it's their error.
    David
    Raymond Washington

Empty garage, for now.
    Still room in the garage for the next 65

Quote Originally Posted by Cellguy View Post
    Hi Super K,
    You can only speak of UPSTATE New York.
    Try getting these pains in the asses down in the City and Long Island to do something helpful like that! Yah.. right!

I mean sure, they probably "should" or "have to" but I guarantee you're gonna visit the DMV at least 3 times before you find someone who will.
    -Pete
    --1964 Buick Wildcat (401)
    ---The Only 2-Door '64 Registered in the State of New York
    (there are four 4-door 64's reg'd in NY)

Quote Originally Posted by mritter View Post
    Looks like you have your work cut out for you this summer. Just kidding, should not be a problem.

Where is Dayton??
    Dayton is about 10 miles outside of Carson City. Kinda inbetween Carson and Reno.

Quote Originally Posted by 1967GS340 View Post
    Only a few options that I can think of. You have a title to a different car because you got screwed, DMV made an error, or he made a mistake and got title and cars messed up.
    Are the descriptions of the car, year, type, etc... correct on the title?
    Do a vin decode of both the number on the title and the number on the car. If one of them doesn't match what the car is, it's going to tell you a lot. If the tag on the car doesn't go with the type of car, you have problems, if the numbers on the title don't go to the appropriate model and year of Buick, you can show DMV it's their error.
    The actual VIN from the tag inside the door is correct for the car. The number on the title isn't even close to a normal Buick VIN.
    Plate from car reads 5B2007351 which is correct for a 1955 Buick Super which is what the car is. Title that was just issued in January of 09 states a 1955 Buick, same license plate number and this under the VIN: V7794155
    Not even close. I'm afraid to take it to the DMV!

Well the good news is that the VIN that is on the title couldn't go to a 55 Buick, so that means they have messed up somewhere.
    Good news. I would go down and get it figured out right away. I don't know what DMV is like where you are, but in Washington it can be night and day between places where you take your car or trailer to get licensing done.
    Might take a little while to get them to figure it out, but I would think you would be given some kind of paperwork right away. If the prior title was in state, it may be in the computer and a fairly easy fix.
    David
    Raymond Washington

Empty garage, for now.

Don't disparage! before you go to DMV office call the DMV for your state and ask questions on your situation.. Call at different times and ask the same or different questions and see if you get different responses then you will start to get a consensus of your state's DMV threshold and by that you'll have an idea if you should or shouldn’t pursue it.. Or you can get a new bill of sale with your Vin# on it for your car from an Alabama lost car title replacement service, you can do a google search or find them in Hemmings,or http://www.getnewtitle.com/alabama it will cost about $300+ but it will get you out of your situation with all new fresh paperwork.. And lastly you if you have any recent relatives that passed away you can claim that car was left behind and you can’t locate the paperwork, the DMV have special provisions for vehicles w/o paperwork from an owner who passed away. I recently did this here in NY, it was time consuming paperwork but was able to get registration and register the car with new paperwork.. One more thing when you call the DMV, one of your questions is tell them that you have your uncles old unregistered car in the garage and you want to check the Vin# still in the DMV system, Hopefullly its not and the reason being is you want to make sure there is no overlapping on this if you were to get a new bill of sale from Alabama and re-register the car in your state.... PM me for more ideas and help if you need to

Thank you to everyone who has replied and given suggestions. I'm going to try to track down the guy I bought it from and see if I can get a copy of his registration. It was just registered this year. How that weird number got transferred to the title is a mystery. The car was registered in California and I'm in Nevada. Hopefully they can still look it all up.
    Thanks again!

This comment will not be real helpful in this instance, and I really do mean it with all due respect, but this is exactly why you should personally check the VIN against the title before you fork over any cash. Had you done this, the problem would be the seller's - not yours. I am sure that it can be resolved, but it is you who will have to make the telephone calls and do the legwork.

"Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from poor judgement."
    John Codman
    Formerly owned Buicks:
    '33,'48, '51, '52, '54, '55 (3), '56, '60 LeSabre 3 sp stick.
    264 powered '53 Mercury
    322 then 264 powered 55 Ford
    264 powered '56 Chevy
    Presently - 431 nailhead powered '82 C-10

John gave some excellent advice there. A couple of other things I have ran accross is that when the title is lost or when a vehicle is "rebuilt" the DMV will assign a # for the title that will not reflect anything like a normal title # should. This could be the possibility, but get on it and see what's going on now!
    Jim N.

Quote Originally Posted by John Codman View Post
    This comment will not be real helpful in this instance, and I really do mean it with all due respect, but this is exactly why you should personally check the VIN against the title before you fork over any cash. Had you done this, the problem would be the seller's - not yours. I am sure that it can be resolved, but it is you who will have to make the telephone calls and do the legwork.

"Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from poor judgement."
    I hear ya, lesson learned.

Quote Originally Posted by 1967GS340 View Post
    I don't know what DMV is like where you are, but in Washington it can be night and day between places where you take your car or trailer to get licensing done.
    Might take a little while to get them to figure it out, but I would think you would be given some kind of paperwork right away. If the prior title was in state, it may be in the computer and a fairly easy fix.
    When I sold my 71 GS455 to New Jersey, I discovered that there were transposed numbers on the title. Luckily I had a lot of paperwork with the car and figured out when it happened (many years ago when it was sold used at a dealership). This managed to slip through for a long time, but I was afraid it could be a problem in NJ. So I made some calls and had it arranged for me to go to the local WSP inspection station. I was armed with all sorts of paperwork. The officer looked at the title and the VIN and then fixed it... I didn't have to do anything to prove my case. But having the documentation would have helped if there were issues.
    Steve E.

When I go to one DMV I can go in with a $500 rig and they will charge me tax for a $5000 rig. I go into another one about 30 miles away and I can go in with a $5000 rig and pay tax on $500.
    Also my wife took her horse trailer in when we moved back from Idaho and the local DMV told her she couldn't get it licensed because Idaho doesn't issue a title on trailers like that. They said find a sucker and sell it. She went into the other DMV 30 miles away and they said no problem. They also said that the gal's at the other DMV are dumb and lazy.
    David
    Raymond Washington

Empty garage, for now.

Yeah, the employees at most DMV offices aren't the brightest and all seem to hate their jobs....so far, I have had pretty good luck up here when I go in there...I just don't have any other paperwork besides the title. I did get in touch with the previous owner and he says he had no problem getting the car registered and he didn't even notice that his title had the wrong number listed as the VIN. I don't think CA does a vehicle inspection. If you bring in the title, you get a new registration...NV inspects each car and will definately notice that the 2 VIN's don't match. I just can't imagine where the CA DMV pulled the number they put on the title. It isn't even close to a VIN number, at least for a 55 Buick....it's like they made it up...I mean, the VIN plate is clearly visable when you open the drivers door....
    Sheesh!