Welcome to V8Buick.com.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: 68 Rivi New Charger

I think a 455 Riviera could have easily walked by that Charger. I really like the look of the Charger, but they aren't that fast without being modded. I test drove three different ones last year during the big cash back deal. I finally told the saleman that I would buy this one beautiful blue R/T on the spot if it could beat my 9c1 Caprice. My wife came along to drive my old car. The chevy wasted that thing off the line and it never caught up. Neither car spun, both weight about the same, engine size almost identical, and the Dodge even has an extra gear. More RPMs, but definitely a lack of low end torque. I didn't buy it. That whole episode was very disappointing because I was really excited about buying one of those until I started test driving them. Nice seats, sort of cheap interior otherwise. The plastic ignition key and very slow electronic throttle response were other turn offs. You had to give it gas about a half second before you wanted the engine to respond.
    I'll stick with my 455 Riviera or LT1 caprice, both with throttle cable, solid rear axle, and full frame.
    David Powell
    76 LeSabre 2dr 455 12.54@107
    76 LeSabre 4dr ht 455 14.50@93
    73 Riviera 455
    83 Regal 455

Quote Originally Posted by quicksabre View Post
    I think a 455 Riviera could have easily walked by that Charger. I really like the look of the Charger, but they aren't that fast without being modded. I test drove three different ones last year during the big cash back deal. I finally told the saleman that I would buy this one beautiful blue R/T on the spot if it could beat my 9c1 Caprice. My wife came along to drive my old car. The chevy wasted that thing off the line and it never caught up. Neither car spun, both weight about the same, engine size almost identical, and the Dodge even has an extra gear. More RPMs, but definitely a lack of low end torque. I didn't buy it. That whole episode was very disappointing because I was really excited about buying one of those until I started test driving them. Nice seats, sort of cheap interior otherwise. The plastic ignition key and very slow electronic throttle response were other turn offs. You had to give it gas about a half second before you wanted the engine to respond.
    I'll stick with my 455 Riviera or LT1 caprice, both with throttle cable, solid rear axle, and full frame.
    I don't want to call you out, but I have a very difficult time believing the Charger lost, and lost badly. The Hemi has about 80hp and 60ft lbs tq over the LT1. Although the LT1 makes peak torque a little sooner than the Hemi, there's no reason why the Charger shouldn't have won, unless your wife is one helluva driver . Were you driving the Charger, or was the salesman?
    Andy

1962 Buick Invicta, 407 Nailhead,
    ST400 manual VB trans, 3.23 Posi

Moms boyfriend had a 68 plymouth GTX 440 with 3.23 gears, and a torqueflight with the slapstick shifter, reasonably lumpy cam in it, it was a mid to low 13 second car. He went and test drove a brand new challenger rt with the 6 speed manual and told us he was really disapointed, he said it went ok, but compared to the GTX the torque really sucked and he said it didn't even pull as hard in the top end once you hit 3rd or 4th than the GTX did in third. I know from personal experience that GTX flew but it wasn't a heavily modified 12 second car or anything. After the test drive he told us he was thinking about telling the salesman that if he could beat the GTX with the rt he'd buy it on the spot, only because he knew the 440 would have blown the new challenger out it's tailpipe.
    My opinion is that for all the new efficient technology that's put into these new motors and cars, it's an embarrasement for these three company's to churn out these "muscle cars" 40 years later and have them run on par with 40 year old carbuerated big block cars! All of these cars should be running high twelves at least, right off the dealership floor. I realize that all of these new motors have much more power potential than the older mills but really, brand new challenger rt 6 speed 370 hp, 14.00 quarter miles? SRT8 425 SAE NET HP?!??13.80's. 440 automatic challengers used to run these exact times back in 1970, with points actuated ignition, a carbuerator, and polyglass tires...
    Very rusty 69 GS, looking for a replacement, broke, on a budget, want to do a 455 swap.

70 Nova SS396 4 speed muncie 21
    325 horse 396 with 70's open chamber oval port 454 smogger heads, mild porting
    factory Zl1 aluminum 427 high rise intake
    old rebuilt 780 holley
    headers
    large circle track solid lifter crane grind from the 70's
    stock slugs about 9:1
    stock balanced bottom end, 2 bolt main
    stock type rockers with matched springs
    3.73 12 bolt posi
    3600 lbs rougly
    26" MT street slicks

The SRT Dodges are running low 13s off the show room floor and the RTs are only high 13s low 14s. Not as fast as the Camaros but they're close. Not to mention they probably weigh 600 lbs more than his GTX did. If you ask me, that's not bad. I'd still take the 68 GTX over a new RT any day. Another point, a 440 in a 3600 lb car no emissions and no one cared about fuel milage vs a 345 in a 4200 lb car will tons of emissions and a decent gas mileage. Also, I think the SRT8 Challengers come with 3.08 gears or 3.06 or something like that. That's a cruiser gear, not a tire shredding gear like the 4.88s you could get in the mopars back then.

Think about all the emissions BS they have now. Remember the 1970 Chevelle SS was rated at 450 hp and 490 ft lbs or something and they got 6 MPG from the factory! That would not sell today. It's just not the same but the difference between old muscle and modern muscle is not much performance wise, but the new cars get probably twice the mileage the old ones got.

I disagree that they are an embarassment. Look at all the other **** boxes on the road. It's a breath of fresh air to see anything with a V8 anymore.
    Robert Lewis
    1959 Buick Electra 4 Door Sedan
    1959 Pontiac Starchief 4 Door Hard top
    1976 W200 Dodge Power Wagon 383/727 4x4
    http://www.pontiac-59.com/

And cutting a good light has no affect on ETs. 15.8 is totally reasonable.

No way a Caprice beat a hemi even if it was a 5.7 RT. Like I said before, At 4800 lbs my Ram ran 14.81 STOCK. A Charger or Challenger weighing 600 lbs less run low 14s. No way a Caprice would even break into the 15s. But yes, the 6.1 is a higher revving motor with less low end torque than a 5.7.

I've never ridden in a hemi charger or challenger but I'm surprised at my roommates V6 Charger. I can only imagine how nasty it is with 200 more horses and a 6 speed.
    Robert Lewis

X2 I do agree with what your saying about emmisions and fuel mileage and such, point taken! And the displacement too. And like you say obviously anyone of us would choose the 68 440 mopar over a new one, probably more for the whole experience than just the performance, the old vinyl bucket seats, and the noise of a carbed motor that displaces 7+ liters of fuel per revolution gets to the level of sense intoxication for us car guys.
    Very rusty 69 GS, looking for a replacement, broke, on a budget, want to do a 455 swap.

70 Nova SS396 4 speed muncie 21
    325 horse 396 with 70's open chamber oval port 454 smogger heads, mild porting
    factory Zl1 aluminum 427 high rise intake
    old rebuilt 780 holley
    headers
    large circle track solid lifter crane grind from the 70's
    stock slugs about 9:1
    stock balanced bottom end, 2 bolt main
    stock type rockers with matched springs
    3.73 12 bolt posi
    3600 lbs rougly
    26" MT street slicks

Exactly.
    Robert Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by poison heart View Post
    Have yet to see one in the 12s? Go to your local race track. On our hemi website we have 17 5.7 HEMI Rams in the 11s and 12s. Those are 5000-5500 lb trucks with a 5.7. I'm sure there are thousands of 6.1 liter chargers, magnums and challengers in the 11s even. We also have a member with an 09 Ram 100% stock that ran 13.75 with the new 5.7. Keep in mind that's 5000+ lbs in a 5.7 liter...not a 7.5 liter. I'd say that's impressive

Oh yeah, SRT8 Jeeps run 12.9s 100% stock. So much for not enough torque... 5.7s are rated at 390 ft lbs from the factory. I believe that is more torque than any buick had from the factory other than the 455

You think building a 455 4 speed skylark will be cheaper than fixing up the rivie you already have? I don't think so. 4 speed swaps are not cheap and you already have the SWEET Rivi

I'm a college student too and it sucks but you have to be patient
    Been to the local track... the ones I run into (SRT's etc) don't impress me. Never lost to one with the GN or the GSx. Wasted a Jeep SRT with the GN and the GN is not far from stock. As far as torque, it's not just the number its the curve. The Hemi is a peaky engine. That's my story and I'm stikkin to it.
    Doug Gorton
    Gravity, it's only a theory.
    Trying is the first step towards failure
    -Homer Simpson
    GSX clone- May 2002
    Supercharged 462-April 2010
    1973 Ski Nautique 351w
    87 GN- August 2005

Quote Originally Posted by sailbrd View Post
    Been to the local track... the ones I run into (SRT's etc) don't impress me. Never lost to one with the GN or the GSx. Wasted a Jeep SRT with the GN and the GN is not far from stock. As far as torque, it's not just the number its the curve. The Hemi is a peaky engine. That's my story and I'm stikkin to it.
    What does your GN and GSX run? I think the Jeep SRT8 runs mid to low 13's. That's pretty damn impressive for a full sized SUV.
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by CameoInvicta View Post
    What does your GN and GSX run? I think the Jeep SRT8 runs mid to low 13's. That's pretty damn impressive for a full sized SUV.
    The GSx has run 12.42 with a bent valve. The GN runs low 13's on the 93 chip. SRT* Jeep is pretty impressive and does run mid to low 13's.

This year the GSx should run low 11's if it can get any hook.
    Doug Gorton
    Gravity, it's only a theory.
    Trying is the first step towards failure
    -Homer Simpson
    GSX clone- May 2002
    Supercharged 462-April 2010
    1973 Ski Nautique 351w
    87 GN- August 2005

Wrong, Jeeps run 12.9s stock. I didn't believe it until I saw it. 100% stock including tires 12.96

According to graphs I've seen for the Hemis they make about 175 ft lbs at 1200 RPMS and peak at around 4000 and at 6 grand they drop back off to about 250. I'd say that's not bad at all. It's no big block buick...it's a small block mopar

And just because you Buick is a little faster doesn't mean the SRT8s are slow. Like I've stated, the numbers they are running now are almost identical to the numbers they ran back in the muscle car days except now they get twice the gas mileage and weigh 500-1000 lbs more than the old ones did.

Go add 500 lbs to your buick and see if your gas mileage improves and see if you still run just as quick. I just don't see how you can be impressed by a slightly modded 12.6 car compared to a 13.3 STOCK car that out weighs your car and gets better fuel mileage. Also, like I stated before, your car has no emissions. Look at all the BS cars have to go through today to pass and they will still keep up with old school muscle.
    Robert Lewis

Amen brother, your preaching to the choir.

I'll own an SRT edition vehicle at some point - they are simply badass.
    Andy

I would like to have a black SRT8 Challenger 6 speed. They are bad ass but I would much rather have an old 1968 Road Runner 426 hemi 4 speed 3.73 suregrip posi. But to say that the SRT8s are yawners is just wrong. 4200 lbs of modern EPA-approved-BS modern muscle that can keep up with an old car built for speed muscle car is impressive. Think about the handling improvements, how much smoother they are, how quiet they are, how reliable they are, how efficient they are (relatively), all the emissions, and not to mention that only like 1% of the population wants a gas guzzler whereas in 1968 everyone wanted a big old big block pavement pounder. I'm surprised there is ANY modern muscle left with this government and economy

This is the same forum that talked crap about hemis when I first got mine over 2 years ago. They said they had never seen one run in the 14s...my 4800 lb ram ran 14.81 100% stock on stock tires. add another 80 HP and drop 600 lbs and that damn car should run low 13s...and they do.

IDK, most of my friends don't like driving and I'm always volunteering to drive. I love my truck. If it's not fun to drive I don't want it reguardless of gas mileage
    Robert Lewis

I would like to have a black SRT8 Challenger 6 speed. They are bad ass but I would much rather have an old 1968 Road Runner 426 hemi 4 speed 3.73 suregrip posi. But to say that the SRT8s are yawners is just wrong. 4200 lbs of modern EPA-approved-BS modern muscle that can keep up with an old car built for speed muscle car is impressive. Think about the handling improvements, how much smoother they are, how quiet they are, how reliable they are, how efficient they are (relatively), all the emissions, and not to mention that only like 1% of the population wants a gas guzzler whereas in 1968 everyone wanted a big old big block pavement pounder. I'm surprised there is ANY modern muscle left with this government and economy

This is the same forum that talked crap about hemis when I first got mine over 2 years ago. They said they had never seen one run in the 14s...my 4800 lb ram ran 14.81 100% stock on stock tires. add another 80 HP and drop 600 lbs and that damn car should run low 13s...and they do.

IDK, most of my friends don't like driving and I'm always volunteering to drive. I love my truck. If it's not fun to drive I don't want it reguardless of gas mileage
    Oh yea, you can't be old school muscle. My dream car is and will always be a '68 Charger. But for a daily driver, you can't beat an SRT8. I've always wished they had made an SRT8 edition Ram. Maybe I'll turn mine into a clone .
    Andy

You just made my day!
    My carbon footprint is 455 cubic inches.

The Caprice took it by a few cars and it stayed there, and a good running 455 Riviera would have too. I was there. I was driving the Dodge. It was a 5.7 R/T. I don't know how else to put it. It probably would have caught up and won in the 1/4, but that was not what I was interested in knowing plus the salesman was getting nervous by 70 mph. It was slower off the line and down low, and felt cheap so I didn't buy it. I went back to that dealer three times to give it a fair chance. I couldn't decide so we settled it with some light-to-light competition. I'm very happy that I didn't waste the money, because that cash is now building a twin turbo TA block 455.
    The Caprice runs in the mid 14s at 95 MPH. A good running 455 Riviera with headers, exhaust, about a C118 cam, 9.5:1 compression, slight converter, 3.42 gear, and proper tune will run mid 13s at around 102MPH. I've now built many Buick fullsizes and know this. So if a 14.5 second car can squeak by an unmodified 5.7 Charger, then a 455 Riviera will walk by it. That is what this thread started out about, not SRTs and trucks. There is no doubt that anything can be fast. Who said my caprice is stock anyway? I just thought I would reply with an actual personal experience I had related to the original question.
    I just need to make all of my daily drivers run high 10s and be done with these street racing arguements.
    David Powell
    76 LeSabre 2dr 455 12.54@107
    76 LeSabre 4dr ht 455 14.50@93
    73 Riviera 455
    83 Regal 455

...Back to your problem, with a double roller timing chain you need to clearence the fuel pump so the arm doesnt hit the wider chain - hog out the mounting holes about 1/16th inch
    Alan W

BPG # 1048 - Charter Member
    NE GS/GN Club - 17 Year Member
    68/69 Buick StepChild Nation - 29 Year Member

What is a Buick StepChild ?
    Quote Originally Posted by 442w30 View Post
    ... They have awkward proportions from certain angles, and they look dumpy compared to their GM brethren
    ....'68 SportWagon400 "Sportn'Wood"..............'69 GS400 Convert "BigRed"..........

They definitely should have made an SRT8 Ram but I couldn't afford it if they did so I'm happy with what I have. They do have an RT hemi ram now but it's just a badge deal, you can get a non RT 5.7 anyway so who cares.

So, your modified Caprice beat a stock RT and you were disappointed in the RT??? What did that prove? I don't see the point in the attitude of "oh if my souped up Caprice can beat the hemi then that hemi is slow and a POS." I don't get it.

I know those fullsize LT1 powered cars are pretty "quick" but they aren't anywhere near 14.5 so you must have some good mods in yours. I'd be surprised if they hit 15s in stock form. They were only rated at 260 horse in a BIG BODY Caprice that weighs over 2 tons. Put those mods in a 5.7 and you'll probably be 2 seconds faster than your Caprice. An LT1 is a good motor but no match to a 5.7 hemi.

And a stock RT (5.7 hemi) will run faster than 14.5. Like I said earlier, my stock TRUCK ran 14.81 and it outweighs a charger/challenger by 600+ lbs, has no aerodynamics and is not geared as well as an LX hemi. Most RT 5.7s are running about what the GT mustangs are running: 13.8-14.2.

So a souped up 455 will run mid 13s but a souped up 5.7 won't? Again, we're comparing a modded car to a stock car, that is meaningless. There are plenty of modded 5.7s running 10s. So what? There are plenty of 455s running 10s, so what?

I still don't think a 5.7 STOCK RT hemi Charger giving a 455 Rivie a good run is hard to believe at all.

Of course a built 455 would walk all over a stock 5.7 any day...but then again, a built 5.7 would walk all over a stock 455 anyday also...
    Robert Lewis

They definitely should have made an SRT8 Ram but I couldn't afford it if they did so I'm happy with what I have. They do have an RT hemi ram now but it's just a badge deal, you can get a non RT 5.7 anyway so who cares.

So, your modified Caprice beat a stock RT and you were disappointed in the RT??? What did that prove? I don't see the point in the attitude of "oh if my souped up Caprice can beat the hemi then that hemi is slow and a POS." I don't get it.

I know those fullsize LT1 powered cars are pretty "quick" but they aren't anywhere near 14.5 so you must have some good mods in yours. I'd be surprised if they hit 15s in stock form. They were only rated at 260 horse in a BIG BODY Caprice that weighs over 2 tons. Put those mods in a 5.7 and you'll probably be 2 seconds faster than your Caprice. An LT1 is a good motor but no match to a 5.7 hemi.

And a stock RT (5.7 hemi) will run faster than 14.5. Like I said earlier, my stock TRUCK ran 14.81 and it outweighs a charger/challenger by 600+ lbs, has no aerodynamics and is not geared as well as an LX hemi. Most RT 5.7s are running about what the GT mustangs are running: 13.8-14.2.

So a souped up 455 will run mid 13s but a souped up 5.7 won't? Again, we're comparing a modded car to a stock car, that is meaningless. There are plenty of modded 5.7s running 10s. So what? There are plenty of 455s running 10s, so what?

I still don't think a 5.7 STOCK RT hemi Charger giving a 455 Rivie a good run is hard to believe at all.

Of course a built 455 would walk all over a stock 5.7 any day...but then again, a built 5.7 would walk all over a stock 455 anyday also...
    Actually, the new Ram R/T has 4.10 gears, and a different torque converter (higher stall). Does 0-60mph is under 6 seconds, and does the 1/4mi in the low 14's. Pretty impressive for a pickup.

Good points .
    Andy

I didn't know that. I don't even see 4.10s listed as an option or the RT as an option but I know they make RT Rams. What's with the 3.21 gears as standard now on the rams? God I can't even imagine how god awful that is. My truck came with 3.55s and it was pretty awful. I have 4.56s now and it's like a whole new truck. I wish I hadn't waited so long. I'm hoping to run at least 14.2s or so now

I still don't see why they don't just make an SRT8 Dakota and just blow the competition out of the water.
    Robert Lewis

I didn't know that. I don't even see 4.10s listed as an option or the RT as an option but I know they make RT Rams. What's with the 3.21 gears as standard now on the rams? God I can't even imagine how god awful that is. My truck came with 3.55s and it was pretty awful. I have 4.56s now and it's like a whole new truck. I wish I hadn't waited so long. I'm hoping to run at least 14.2s or so now

I still don't see why they don't just make an SRT8 Dakota and just blow the competition out of the water.
    4.10's are just standard on the R/T, not available on any other models. The R/T is a model available only on the RCSB configuration, like an SLT or Sport model.

I think 3.55's are still standard, with 3.92's being optional. My '04 originally came with an open 3.55 rear, but at some point I think someone stuffed a 3.92 LSD in there, although the clutch packs are totally worn out at this point.
    Andy

I think 3.23s are standard now. I have no clue why. The 3.55s are god awful.

I have over 70K on my stock LSD and have about 5 million launches and burn outs behind me and my LSD is still working great. When I first got my truck I was told the rear end was the first thing that would go. IDK It's held up great
    Robert Lewis

Very nice.

We owned a 2006 R/T with the R/T package (additional 10hp), and then traded it for a 2007 SRT8 which my wife still has as a DD.

The two are completely different cars. For some reason, I was never impressed with the R/T, and felt it was a dog. That is not to say it was slow, I just didn't feel it lived up to the hype. I think there must be a large variance in the 5.7 hemi cars, as the car we test drove ran very hard, but the one we ordered did not. Even with Borla exhaust, 180 thermostat, and programmer it just never came alive like I expected.

The SRT8 is a beast. Anybody that underestimates one of them needs to have a very low 13sec or better car. Contrary to what somebody said, neither of them are 'peaky', and in fact have a lot of torque.

The SRT8 jeeps are just silly. Drive one of those and you will find yourself smiling for hours. They have an incredible off the line launch. At the SRT experience, which everyone gets to do that has one, the Jeeps would be glued to the Vipers bumper until the straitaways. They are extremely impressive.

Just speaking from experience from both cars. Could a Riv or LT1 car beat a 5.7? Yes, if it's a sick 5.7 like ours was, and the other cars are at the top of their game.
    65 Buick GS 4-spd convert #'s match
    67 GS 4-spd convert #'s match
    67 GS auto convert #'s match
    67 GS Post 400 4-spd
    67 GS Post 340 W1 car
    87 GN 1,399 miles

I think 3.23s are standard now. I have no clue why. The 3.55s are god awful.

I have over 70K on my stock LSD and have about 5 million launches and burn outs behind me and my LSD is still working great. When I first got my truck I was told the rear end was the first thing that would go. IDK It's held up great
    The factory LSD's are notorious for having the retaining clips fall out, which can lead to some very bad circustances. Most of the time they just fall to the bottom on the diff and no one knows the difference. But if they get stuck in the gears - that can be a very bad thing! If I were you, I'd pop open the diff cover, change the fluid, and have a look around just to make sure everything is as it should be. Cheap insurance to avoid a potientially expensive repair.

I think for '09 3.21's were standard, but for '10 they realized their mistake and made 3.55's the norm.
    Andy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast