Welcome to V8Buick.com.
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142021222324

Default Re: '60 LeSabre 2 door sedan

That's too bad Steve..
    Sorry to hear about that...
    "Bulldog" James A. Miller

OK Steve: Yeah, you are right. When my number's up...... I pulled the trigger on the 1960 Buick Universe and welcome! Mitch
    60 Buick

Steve,
    Sorry to hear about this.....
    ....now you have me worried about my electra.... should one do anything to try preventing this to happen (cant think of anything off the top of my head) ?

Roland

Wow, so sorry to hear about this Steve. Makes me wonder now if I'm just lucky or what, drove mine out to my daughter's house about 15 mile trip a few weeks ago so she could use my garage for her yard/garage sale. I live in town and they are out in the country, so they have much better crowd here. I was doing close to 70 on a back road straight stretch, felt good, smooth as silk, but I was probably pushing my luck.

Once I get it back home, I don't think I will be taking it out on the highways any more until I get the heads pulled to replace the head gaskets and/or whatever problem the previous owner caused when he ran it hot after the heater core blew. I really don't have the funds for a entire rebuild so I'm hoping to fix the problems on the top end and without creating too much extra compression and putting pressure on the bottom end. I've had luck doing this before, but never on a car this old.

So like you, this will be a winter project, which the way it feels around mid-south Indiana these days, won't be too long. In the meantime, my next major plan is to paint the top of my car with a roller and rustoleum white paint. I watched many, many YouTube videos on this and the results look pretty amazing considering the effort and cost involved. The way I figure it, it can't hurt anything, my top looks terrible the way it is now.

Good luck on the repairs and we all hope to see your '60 back on the road soon!
    Just a message from Doug...

1961 LeSabre 4 dr. sedan (4469)

Past Buicks I have owned

1963 LeSabre
    1965 Electra 225
    1966 Special
    1967 Electra 225
    1968 Riviera
    1973 Electra 225
    1975 Century

OK Mosslack: Doing the heads? That, my friend is the biggest gamble of all. You very well might have to re-build it anyway. Labor to R-N-R heads? Gone. Machine work on the heads? Gone. Head gasket set and other parts? Gone. My suggestion to all is to "save up" and have it done right by a good machine shop. Yes, I'm spending your money you don't have. Yes, there is more. Radiator, all new belts, hoses, thermostat, water pump, and more $$$$$.

This is the only way to roll the dice approaching 2015. I can't see too many other ways around it that add up to a win-win. Sorry, Mitch
    60 Buick

Quote Originally Posted by lrlforfun View Post
    OK Mosslack: Doing the heads? That, my friend is the biggest gamble of all. You very well might have to re-build it anyway. Labor to R-N-R heads? Gone. Machine work on the heads? Gone. Head gasket set and other parts? Gone. My suggestion to all is to "save up" and have it done right by a good machine shop. Yes, I'm spending your money you don't have. Yes, there is more. Radiator, all new belts, hoses, thermostat, water pump, and more $$$$$.

This is the only way to roll the dice approaching 2015. I can't see too many other ways around it that add up to a win-win. Sorry, Mitch
    Thanks for the advice, but as I said, I've been this way before. No plans to do anything to the heads with the exception of cleaning and checking for warpage. Obviously will check for bent valves, etc, but no machining. Visual inspection of the cylinders, pistons, but if all looks good it will just have new head gaskets installed and put back together. I will also be doing a compression check before I remove the heads to see if there is any obvious damage.

If it pans out, only cost will be gasket set, cost of checking heads and my labor. If I find other problems I will then have to decide what to do. Most likely would be total rebuild by a shop I have dealt with before. I know the owner and he will let me pay it off over time.

Past Buicks I have owned

1963 LeSabre
    1965 Electra 225
    1966 Special
    1967 Electra 225
    1968 Riviera
    1973 Electra 225
    1975 Century

Engine Replacement

OK... Here we go again... After getting the old girl running and finally on the road last summer I made it a whole 281 miles before the 401 scattered it's 50+ year old guts all over the interstate. One completely smoked nailhead. And I mean everything. So would need a complete rebuildable long block core plus the all the parts and machining to renew.

Lotsa $$$$

That I don't have.

So I've saved money and kept my eyes open for other options. On a hunch I wondered what ever happened to the two '60s I saw at a collection crush fest I posted about on this thread a couple of years ago. Turns out 82 cars went to the shredder, a couple dozen were purchased and saved and another couple dozen stayed put for various reasons. This '60 LeSabre made it through the drama. Yes they would sell it... title, keys and complete for $1,000.00. The daughter of the deceased collector selling the car told me she drove this car to high school in the early 90s and car had been parked shortly after, still running good, just needing a few small things. I agreed to purchase under the condition I could verify the engine was a sound runner. A couple weeks later I spent a Saturday carefully inspecting and prepping the nailhead, a 364 2 barrel, to run for the first time in a couple decades.

Simple stuff for the initial inspect:
    Engine complete with no missing parts, cooling system still has coolant, engine oil looks OK, engine will turn by hand....

Check on all of that! That's a good start!

Next is to dig into the engine and check to see the valvetrain is free and properly lube everything before an attempt at starting her up.

Next steps:
    Drain engine oil and replace oil filter
    Pull spark plugs and give a squirt of oil to all the cylinders
    Pull valve covers and rocker shafts to lube all 16 valve guides and check that all valves move freely
    Douse the valley with new engine oil to lube camshaft and lifters
    Remove distributor to access the oil pump shaft then use a pump priming tool and drill to spin the pump and fully prime the engine with new clean oil
    File points and reinstall distributor
    Lube pushrods, rocker arms, shafts and reinstall
    Reinstall valve covers
    Tie a 1 gallon fuel container to the inner fender and plumb to the fuel pump
    Fill the carburetor bowl with fresh fuel and a little splash down the throat
    Install a battery

and cross those fingers!

It didn't start on the first try. Or the second or third. No spark. File the points twice. Spark at the coil not at the plugs. Pull the cap and find I broke off the rotor tip (how did I do that!?...) Find a rotor on another car in the field, try again, she started on the first revolution! 16 noisey lifters that slowly quieted as she warmed for the first time in 20 years. After running for about 15 minutes the lifters were silent and the old 364 purred like a wildcat! No smoke, leaks, drama..... nothing.

A change of 4 tires, a little ATF to the Dynaflow and power steering..... Slide behind the wheel slip and her into "L" .. It moves! A quick spin around the field and drive right onto the trailer! With no brakes! That's a little tricky!.....

Once I got her home a compression check showed a healthy 130psi across all 8 (thats good for this altitude-7,000ft.) A little doctoring on an ignition tune had her running like a watch. Bled the brakes and took her for a few loops around rural area I live in. Runs absolutely fantastic. OK, lets get this 364 ready for the 2 door......

PS, don't worry Mitch, this one isn't getting parted out. I have a plan to keep her intact..........

Steve weim55 Colorado
    Last edited by weim55; 10-02-2015 at 09:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by weim55 View Post
    Engine Replacement

OK... Here we go again... After getting the old girl running and finally on the road last summer I made it a whole 281 miles before the 401 scattered it's 50+ year old guts all over the interstate. One completely smoked nailed. And I mean everything. So would need a complete rebuildable long block core plus the all the parts and machining to renew.

Lotsa $$$$

That I don't have.

So I've saved money and kept my eyes open for other options. On a hunch I wondered what ever happened to the two '60s I saw at a collection crush fest I posted about on this thread a couple of years ago. Turns out 82 cars went to the shredder, a couple dozen were purchased and saved and another couple dozen stayed put for various reasons. This '60 LeSabre made it through the drama. Yes they would sell it... title, keys and complete for $1,000.00. The daughter of the collector selling the car told me she drove this car to high school in the early 90s and car had been parked shortly after, still running good, just needing a few small things. I agreed to purchase under the condition I could verify the engine was a sound runner. A couple weeks later I spent a Saturday carefully inspecting and prepping the nailhead, a 364 2 barrel, to run for the first time in a couple decades.

Simple stuff for the initial inspect: Engine complete with no missing parts, cooling system still has coolant, engine oil looks OK, engine will turn by hand. Check on all of that! That's a good start! Next is to dig into the engine and check to see the valvetrain is free and properly lube everything before an attempt at starting her up.

Having some trouble uploading pics , I'll come back to this as soon as i figure out the problem....

Steve weim55 Colorado
    Sorry about your luck Steve, but congrats on the find. You just never know when one is gonna pop like that. My '65 Electra 225 did that after changing the oil one day. I hated that, loved that car. Look forwards to your new project.

Past Buicks I have owned

1963 LeSabre
    1965 Electra 225
    1966 Special
    1967 Electra 225
    1968 Riviera
    1973 Electra 225
    1975 Century

That's tough luck...
    But, good on you for resourcefulness!!
    Better luck to you
    "Bulldog" James A. Miller

good to see you found a potential candidate... looking forward to an update, I love this thread...

OK V8 Buick People: I'm re-bootin' this thread as it is a VERY important piece of Buick history. Also, please check out the web pages on the 1960 Buick....

Greg Cockerill's....................www.the1960buick.com

Facebook.............................1960 Buick Universe

My page...............................http://60buickuniverse.com/

Dave Stromberger's page......http://www.60buick.com

Thanks for your consideration, Mitch
    60 Buick

Cool, let 'er happen cap'tn.

Past Buicks I have owned

1963 LeSabre