Welcome to V8Buick.com.
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Default Re: My '78 Skylark (before starting the project)

Okay, I tired to do everything without posting because I wanted it to be a surprise to have everything done, but I am having an issue with my transmission. I have a Saginaw 4 speed from a GM with the 10 tooth spline shaft, exedy 04049 oem clutch, and a bop bellhousing.

with the car off I can shift into every gear just fine, but with the engine running it will not allow me to go into any gear with the clutch pressed to the floor. If i turn the car off, put it into gear then start the car with the clutch to the floor it act like a normal clutch and as I let out the clutch it will start to roll. but I can't shift out of gear without extreme force. I have adjusted the clutch many times, even over adjusting it to where the pedal wont go any further to the floor. the car does not roll at all when the engine is started with the clutch to the floor and in gear, so it feels like it is fully disengaging. I have also readjusted the linkage to make sure everything moves exactly how its supposed to without any binding. any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Aaron

1978 Buick Skylark 4 door(Whole Earth Brown) 231 v6 even-fire Auto

first off, congrats on getting this far. I wish I knew anything that could help with the transmission. maybe ask this question in the transmission section, or street/strip, it will get more views.
    Dan Lemyre
    75 skylark stage 2 455 (Bittersweet)
    2002 Trans am Ws6
    http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.php?t=181075

I asked in the Transmission section and it seems that I already got my answer, I am quoting it here just to keep everything in one log.

Quote Originally Posted by Clanceman427 View Post
    Sounds to me like a pilot bushing issue. It the input shaft is spinning with the engine even though your clutch pedal is depressed, tells me your pilot bushing is not functioning correctly.
    Aaron

I'm waffling between pilot bushing and shift linkage. I had the same issue one time with my TKO, where the INTERNAL shift linkage can get an alignment issue if the trans is laid on its side while it's out, and it behaved exactly like that. But it did "cure" itself when I put it in gear and rolled the car back and dumped the clutch it worked fine after that. Being your's is EXTERNAL linkage, I'm not sure what to check. Like mentioned, I can see a tight, or crooked pilot bushing doing that too.
    The Silver Buick- '77 Skylark coupe w/455, SPX, MegaSquirt 2 & TKO-600 (Drag Week 2011!), '72 Centurion Conv't - 455w/TH400, '67 T-bird 4Dr (suicide) w/428, MegaSquirt 1 & C6. '69 Firebird replaced, now building a Pontiac Turbo L6!

My Skylark thread
    http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.php?t=208168
    My Pontiac OHC Six thread.
    http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.php?t=219250

I'm just a regular guy that fuel injected an old Buick and Thunderbird.

Sad to say the car is up for sale, or part out but preferably as a whole car if you know anyone looking for a almost completed project!
    Aaron

Awe really I would love to see you get this done and drivable so you can fulfil your dream after all these years of hard work! Someone needs to help you out!!!!
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    My book called Small Block Buick Performance covering the V6, 215, 300, 340, and Buick 350 engines will be released soon.

http://www.v8buick.com/forumdisplay....rformance-Book
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    1970 Buick Skylark Turbo 350 street/strip

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678