Welcome to V8Buick.com.
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Default Re: Boosted Buicks Here!

I wonder if you can get away with that if you change heads with the comedic gaskets ?
    Michael Evans

"Universal means the part universally does not fit anything until you make it"

Next Buick project...........1987 T-Type

Wonder what the new BOV valve is going to do for me.

test fit 3.jpg
    Michael Evans

Went to the chassis dyno friday. Thanks to Brandon front decorde automotive he got my carb issue figured out. Also made some good pulls. My 9.70 setup on 5 pounds peaking at 6 pounds of boost at 6000 rpm netted us 615 at the wheels. When we finished tuning we made a best of 691 horse and 594 torque at the wheels with a 22 percent slippage of the torque converter. That was a huge gain from carb tuning. Now it runs nice and safe and no more melting plugs. Or worse. We did make one pull at 12 pounds and it really like that. 807 and 691 at the wheels. Absolutely amazing with a broken converter. Do the math and it's over 1000 at flywheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Evans View Post
    Wonder what the new BOV valve is going to do for me.

test fit 3.jpg
    Maybe stop blowing off hoses?
    Doug Gorton
    Gravity, it's only a theory.
    Trying is the first step towards failure
    -Homer Simpson
    GSX clone- May 2002
    Supercharged 462-April 2010
    1973 Ski Nautique 351w
    87 GN- August 2005

Quote Originally Posted by jake csordas View Post
    Went to the chassis dyno friday. Thanks to Brandon front decorde automotive he got my carb issue figured out. Also made some good pulls. My 9.70 setup on 5 pounds peaking at 6 pounds of boost at 6000 rpm netted us 615 at the wheels. When we finished tuning we made a best of 691 horse and 594 torque at the wheels with a 22 percent slippage of the torque converter. That was a huge gain from carb tuning. Now it runs nice and safe and no more melting plugs. Or worse. We did make one pull at 12 pounds and it really like that. 807 and 691 at the wheels. Absolutely amazing with a broken converter. Do the math and it's over 1000 at flywheel.
    Fantastic!

With 12 lbs of boost I MIGHT be making what you were with 6 lbs.
    alan

It isn't what happens to you that matters most, but rather what you choose to do about it.

'73 Estate wagon - Best ET 11.74, best MPH 117.13

How close is the adjustment of the Big Red BOV right out of the box ?

Any tips on the adjustment ?
    Michael Evans

I am using this TCI converter now on my boosted SBB as the last converter I had was also slipping big time like yours.

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/tci-251412
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    My book called Small Block Buick Performance covering the V6, 215, 300, 340, and Buick 350 engines will be released soon.

http://www.v8buick.com/forumdisplay....rformance-Book
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    1970 Buick Skylark Turbo 350 street/strip

Quote Originally Posted by sean Buick 76 View Post
    I am using this TCI converter now on my boosted SBB as the last converter I had was also slipping big time like yours.

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/tci-251412
    I have broken too many off the shelf converters. this converter broke because the rear broke and locked up the trans and broke the main shaft of the trans. too much power at 4000 pounds of weight. Converter is at ultimate converter concepts and lenny is going to fix it up for the new power increase. When that converter was made we thought the motor only made 750 at flywheel. I guess we were a little bit off. lol

I have broken too many off the shelf converters. this converter broke because the rear broke and locked up the trans and broke the main shaft of the trans. too much power at 4000 pounds of weight. Converter is at ultimate converter concepts and lenny is going to fix it up for the new power increase. When that converter was made we thought the motor only made 750 at flywheel. I guess we were a little bit off. lol
    Yes I agree custom converter is the way to go. I sent my TCI converter back to them and had them fine tune it for my combo, as I bought it for $300 used in the end I saved a bunch of money this way. My car is only 2980 pounds so that helps. Same deal with my car was not expected to see the power it is making.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    My book called Small Block Buick Performance covering the V6, 215, 300, 340, and Buick 350 engines will be released soon.

http://www.v8buick.com/forumdisplay....rformance-Book
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    1970 Buick Skylark Turbo 350 street/strip

Called Procharger today to find out how to adjust the new Big Red BOV. He told me it is ready to use out of the box and no other advice (Hmmmm).

I asked what he thought of changing from 1.60 ratio to 1.65 ratio (which I am doing) is going to do to the boost. Like I thought it is going to lower it overall.

I was at 10.1 pounds of boost and want to stay there for many reasons.

The next size smaller to the 4.00 inch pulley I have is a 3.850 inch pulley.

And what ever you do, do not say you are working on a Big Block Buick as they will not know anything then !
    Michael Evans

Love the last line....so true for many companies.
    Jim Byers
    65 Skylark

Quote Originally Posted by offbrand Racing View Post
    Love the last line....so true for many companies.
    you are correct. ordered my carb and they suggested a 750 blow thru. I ordered and 850 and it is still not enough. lol

Have an Aeromotive with boost reference and wonder what would cause the fuel pressure not to adjust below 10 pounds ?
    Michael Evans

Have an Aeromotive with boost reference and wonder what would cause the fuel pressure not to adjust below 10 pounds ?
    Do you set it with motor off?
    Doug Gorton
    Gravity, it's only a theory.
    Trying is the first step towards failure
    -Homer Simpson
    GSX clone- May 2002
    Supercharged 462-April 2010
    1973 Ski Nautique 351w
    87 GN- August 2005

Do you have a return line from the regulator? I learned the hard way that you need that.

Return line smaller than feed line? Trash in the regular?
    Jim Byers
    65 Skylark

After I took the regulator apart, I made a return to empty to a gas can and it does alright.
    So I guess it has something to do with the line going back to the tank.
    Michael Evans

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910