Welcome to V8Buick.com.
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Boosted Buicks Here!

Quote Originally Posted by northcorner View Post
    I'm getting ready to join the boosted club. I'm wondering what you guys think about compression ratios. I've always thought that 8:1 ( static) is a better choice than like say 9:1 or higher. I understand that you can usually run more boost with a lower compression. Also, should you shoot for a low dynamic compression number too? My thoughts are that with the lower ratio, you can get more air and fuel into the chamber, thus resulting in a bigger bang, so to speak. With that said, are there any quench or squish concerns I should be worried about with boost? I'll be racing only with the motor, so partial throttle and street manners are out the window on this one.

What are your thoughts, guys?
    If you look at what the GN's run I don't see that a low dynamic compression number will help. My plan is to have a Scott Brown custom cam made because I really do not have the answers. Since you are racing only think about e85 for fuel and then you can run more compression.

You reall need to find the people running racing Buicks. There are only about 5 people that have gone there so check my list and give those people a call. I like to learn from other peoples mistakes.
    Doug Gorton
    Gravity, it's only a theory.
    Trying is the first step towards failure
    -Homer Simpson
    GSX clone- May 2002
    Supercharged 462-April 2010
    1973 Ski Nautique 351w
    87 GN- August 2005

as far as the compression thing goes i am no expert but when i was doing the research for mine it was better and easier to use a little more compression to make power. unless you are going to run a lot of boost 9 to 1 or slightly more is fine. anything over 20 pounds of boost the motor will probably only last one pass anyway so make it worth it. from my own experience a charger does like less cubic inch. i had a 494 and a 464. the 464 was better all around and went slightly better. i do recommend a scott brown cam though. he knows how to build it to make power and keep the cylinder pressure down.
    john jr

Quote Originally Posted by jake csordas View Post
    as far as the compression thing goes i am no expert but when i was doing the research for mine it was better and easier to use a little more compression to make power. unless you are going to run a lot of boost 9 to 1 or slightly more is fine. anything over 20 pounds of boost the motor will probably only last one pass anyway so make it worth it. from my own experience a charger does like less cubic inch. i had a 494 and a 464. the 464 was better all around and went slightly better. i do recommend a scott brown cam though. he knows how to build it to make power and keep the cylinder pressure down.
    john jr
    David,
    There is one of the people to listen to!
    Doug Gorton
    -Homer Simpson
    GSX clone- May 2002
    1973 Ski Nautique 351w
    87 GN- August 2005

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm going the turbo route. I'm surely going the Scott Brown cam route. A little information now can save a lot of wasted dollars later on, thanks again .
    David Baker

1970 GS Stage1 4-speed
    One of only 664

1966 skylark gs
    401 nailhead .030 over, line honed, complete rebuild. Garret
    t67 turbo .81ar, 32x18 intercooler, areomotive a1000's pump and boost reference fuel regulator, -10an feed and return lines,exa-oil pump for oil scavenger system. tial t44wastegate vband, tial bov, CSU carb, EV carb hat, MSD 6btm box with boost reference,FAST dual wideband o2 sensors and a/f meter
    c5 corvette brakes front and rear, kore3 billet hubs, billet caliper brakets, b body spindles,
    narrowed powdered coated 9" inch rear ,detroit locker, 3:73,big bearing gm ends, moser axles tubular upper and lower rear control arms, th400 trans, custom driveshaft and crossmember,aluminum radiator,
    custom built exhaust, full length headers,
    billet specialties 18x7 front wheels and 20x9 rear wheels
    Just finishing on body work and will be hopefully painting this winter.

Quote Originally Posted by 66larkgs View Post
    1966 skylark gs
    401 nailhead .030 over, line honed, complete rebuild. Garret
    t67 turbo .81ar, 32x18 intercooler, areomotive a1000's pump and boost reference fuel regulator, -10an feed and return lines,exa-oil pump for oil scavenger system. tial t44wastegate vband, tial bov, CSU carb, EV carb hat, MSD 6btm box with boost reference,FAST dual wideband o2 sensors and a/f meter
    c5 corvette brakes front and rear, kore3 billet hubs, billet caliper brakets, b body spindles,
    narrowed powdered coated 9" inch rear ,detroit locker, 3:73,big bearing gm ends, moser axles tubular upper and lower rear control arms, th400 trans, custom driveshaft and crossmember,aluminum radiator,
    custom built exhaust, full length headers,
    billet specialties 18x7 front wheels and 20x9 rear wheels
    Just finishing on body work and will be hopefully painting this winter.
    We need pictures!
    Doug Gorton
    -Homer Simpson
    GSX clone- May 2002
    1973 Ski Nautique 351w
    87 GN- August 2005

Quote Originally Posted by sailbrd View Post
    We need pictures!
    Here you go:

to be totally honest i wanted to do it because most people don't rear mount turbo muscle cars. i really liked the exspermental turbo 401 nailhead that was built back in the day. i really thought about doing a front turbo setup but pro's and con's led me to a rear mount setup. the t67 turbo is mounted right infront of the rear axle with a custom wrapped exhaust. i run a tial t44 wastegate , tial blowoff valve, and 2 inch charge pipes until i get into the engine compartment. the reason i run 2" is to keep the turbolag down. i also run a .81 ar exhaust housing to keep down the lag. once the charge pipe comes into the engine compartment it goes to 3" and runs into a very big intercooler than through a extreme velocity carb hat with a custom built CSU carb. Those guys are great !!I run 2 FAST wideband o2 sensors and thier FAST moniter to keep track of how effient it is running. I guess i want to see how much power i can make and how much boost the nailhead will handle. i wouldnt mind tring to get the nailhead a little given respect with a nice 12.00 reliable street car and this is why i did the turbo 401. i would love to take this car on the power tour. i have most of june july and august off and would love to take it cross country and hit some cruises. guess it is nice to dream!!!

paul
    66larkgs
    turbo nailhead

http://s917.photobucket.com/albums/a...bo%20nailhead/

__________________________________________________ __________________________________
    My book called Small Block Buick Performance covering the V6, 215, 300, 340, and Buick 350 engines will be released soon.

http://www.v8buick.com/forumdisplay....rformance-Book
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    1970 Buick Skylark Turbo 350 street/strip

Paul,
    Thanks for the pictures. Did not understand at first it was a rear mount single turbo so will make some changes in the table.

What is there about Buick owners. No one can do it the same way! My advice to women... find a guy that owns a Buick and it will always be different.
    Doug Gorton
    -Homer Simpson
    GSX clone- May 2002
    1973 Ski Nautique 351w
    87 GN- August 2005

i wanted this car to be different and hopefully with the paint it will be a sweet ride. It is no race car... and i didnt build it to be. i am still doing the metal work on the bumpers tucking and had to modify the front alot to hide the intercooler behind the front steel bumper. One question i have is anyone running the shockwave air ride setup? i run qa1 coil overs right now but i liked the idea of the air ride. anyone runs these? any exsperiance , pro's cons.. the qa1 are nice but i want it to be a real nice driver, so i dident know if the airride had some bennies... I will be updating my photobucket with some current pictures of the car once my lift in my house is done. hopefully next week the wiring will be done.

paul
    66lark gs
    turbo 401 nailhead t67 rear mount

53 r100 international,
    chopped, channeled,
    406sbc scat crank,
    .630-.630 cam 300r
    rpm ported heads

i wanted this car to be different and hopefully with the paint it will be a sweet ride. It is no race car... and i didnt build it to be. i am still doing the metal work on the bumpers tucking and had to modify the front alot to hide the intercooler behind the front steel bumper. One question i have is anyone running the shockwave air ride setup? i run qa1 coil overs right now but i liked the idea of the air ride. anyone runs these? any exsperiance , pro's cons.. the qa1 are nice but i want it to be a real nice driver, so i dident know if the airride had some bennies... I will be updating my photobucket with some current pictures of the car once my lift in my house is done. hopefully next week the wiring will be done.

paul
    66lark gs
    turbo 401 nailhead t67 rear mount

53 r100 international,
    chopped, channeled,
    406sbc scat crank,
    .630-.630 cam 300r
    rpm ported heads
    There are lots of great reviews around for the shockwave setup, here is one:

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tec...all/index.html

PM this fellow, he seems to know what he is doing with the air bags...

http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.php?t=213961
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    My book called Small Block Buick Performance covering the V6, 215, 300, 340, and Buick 350 engines will be released soon.

http://www.v8buick.com/forumdisplay....rformance-Book
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    1970 Buick Skylark Turbo 350 street/strip

Have the main unit off for some upgades and oil change.

Storage tip:

One thing I found out the hard way is to not let the bottles of replacement oil to sit on it's side while on the shelf.

The bottles I have/had (three in a sealed bag) were laying on their side and one of the bottles the top became loose and it leaked into the bag.
    Michael Evans

"Universal means the part universally does not fit anything until you make it"

Next Buick project...........1987 T-Type

It's good to see there's so many people running blow through now.... It was a pretty lonely road 6 0r 7 years ago.....

Very impressive numbers being posted.
    Rich Burgi
    71GS 455 (build sheet to prove it)SuperCharged via XSPerformance, PAE SP TH400 with 1200/3000 stall and 3.31 gears.
    Best run to date is 11.09 @ 126MPH pump gas and street tires in 2005 on 12psi

New F1C Procharger.... no track times as of yet...

2008 Suzuki Hayabusa 9.75 @ 144.87
    2000 Chevy Crew 2WD Shortbed 454
    85 Jeep CJ7 with 455 and TBI

bpg member 1046
    gsca member 1801
    www.streetheatcarclub.com

Hi Guys

How are most of the boosted Buick's mounting there motors between the rails? I really want to use stock mounting points but also don't want carnage out of the gate. Thoughts/idea?

Thanks,
    Jim Byers
    65 Skylark

Quote Originally Posted by offbrand Racing View Post
    Hi Guys

How are most of the boosted Buick's mounting there motors between the rails? I really want to use stock mounting points but also don't want carnage out of the gate. Thoughts/idea?

Thanks,
    I have 1/4 inch plates that run off each head I use all 3 bolts on the head then solid mounted at the block useing all 4 holes then a thin mid-plate.
    Bobb Makley
    70 Stage 2 Street eliminator 9.80's @136 R.I.P
    72 stage 2 3750 LBS
    Pro charged bulldog block
    8.80's @153+w/ 1.34 60
    85 pro Street regal
    10.40's @ 128

Bobb,

Thanks...ugh...I want to use the stock mounting locations.......with my SC set up I don't have a way to use the drivers side head to bolt a plate too....

Do you have a pic you would share?

Regards,
    Jim Byers
    65 Skylark

I bolted the two halves of the motor mount together with two grade 8 bolts on each side and locking nuts with the rubber sandwiched between. I then slightly modified the frame pad so the the mount would sit down flat. At idle is smooth as silk, because the rubber is still there. I have a cable on the drivers side as a backup from the PS pump bracket to the steering gearbox.. I'm sure you could be more creative with a welder. I gotta learn how to weld

Making 1000HP though, I think I might want something more solid...
    Jay Davenport
    70 Skylark 455... Needs paint and interior
    72 GS 355.. Sold
    71 Skylark 355 Mark Burton Twin Turbo 7.67@ 92.1 W/2.01 60ft Ecoboosted SOLD

jim I went looking for a picture that would show you some thing but not really ever taken any that would show mounting of the engine to be honest. I found this one that shows the bottom of the drivers side. that plate is 1/4 inch and it is part of the total thickness needed to alighn the blower the other side is 1/2 and is used to mount alt and vacuum pump. the motor mounts are custom made by us for the car I did not move the engine from its stock location just used all the holes in the block to spread the load some. Don't know how much or if any value but there there why not use them. the mid plate is thin steel and mounts on the side of the frame rails. we built mounts once that tide the head and the motor mounts together and used the motor plate mounting location as the main mounting location but we did not use them on my car for some reason I don't remember why.

Bobb Makley
    70 Stage 2 Street eliminator 9.80's @136 R.I.P
    72 stage 2 3750 LBS
    Pro charged bulldog block
    8.80's @153+w/ 1.34 60
    85 pro Street regal
    10.40's @ 128

Hello,
    I have bought a ATI Procharger P-1SC to fit on my Buick 350ci engine (from XS Performance).
    I d like to know which camshaft and converter could suit the Procharger?

Compression? 8.5:1
    Current Horsepower? stock +- 220 HP
    Desired Horsepower? with 500 i'm happy, with 600 grind on my face.. ;-)
    Redline (or shift point)? don't know yet +-5500
    Elevation : seal level
    Cam? ?? i found this,:TA c113?? ( .488" - 228'/ .493"-247' / 113 lobe) does it suits ?
    Intake Manifold? TA Performance
    Exhaust? TA Performance headers (ceramic coated) with Flowmaster 2.5" exhaust and Super 40 mufflers
    Cylinder Heads? stock but ported (perhaps bigger exhaust valve ) 3 angle valve seat job
    Carburetor? Quick Fuel 650CFM
    Fuel Octane? 98 or 95 but i don't know if it's the same value as you have in USA.... (some pump in Germany sell 102 )
    Converter ????

- stock crank,
    - stock or better rods (still looking)
    - heavy duty pushrod
    - dual valve springs
    - poston roller rockers
    - hi-rev lifters
    - ARP head studs
    - Intercooler

Thanks a lot for your help
    David

To answer your question with one phrase.

Depends one what you are going to use the car for.

Race only.

Drive on weekends.

Daily driver.

------------------------------------------------------------

With a P-1 series, I don't think it is a race only.

350 driver you should not go over 112 LSA and static compression of 9 to one.

Converter is hard to come up with without knowing a few more things: the vacume the engine might produce at idle, the rear end ratio, and constant vehical speed it might produce.

With a P-1 series 25% gain, I would think would be the best I would think it would produce in HP.
    Michael Evans

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Evans View Post
    To answer your question with one phrase.

Depends one what you are going to use the car for.

Race only.

Drive on weekends.

Daily driver.

------------------------------------------------------------

With a P-1 series, I don't think it is a race only.

350 driver you should not go over 112 LSA and static compression of 9 to one.

Converter is hard to come up with without knowing a few more things: the vacume the engine might produce at idle, the rear end ratio, and constant vehical speed it might produce.

With a P-1 series 25% gain, I would think would be the best I would think it would produce in HP.

It will be a week end driver with little roadrace /track use.

Forget an off the shelf cam. Need to get a custom grind and it is not that much more money (if any.)

PM me for that info.
    Doug Gorton
    -Homer Simpson
    GSX clone- May 2002
    1973 Ski Nautique 351w
    87 GN- August 2005

Michael Evans

Quote Originally Posted by macbuick View Post
    Hello,

- stock crank,
    - stock or better rods (still looking)
    - heavy duty pushrod
    - dual valve springs
    - poston roller rockers
    - hi-rev lifters
    - ARP head studs
    - Intercooler

Thanks a lot for your help
    David
    For 350 rods, you have to have them custom made if you want anything other than stock..
    Jay Davenport
    70 Skylark 455... Needs paint and interior
    72 GS 355.. Sold
    71 Skylark 355 Mark Burton Twin Turbo 7.67@ 92.1 W/2.01 60ft Ecoboosted SOLD

Even after the new electric fuel pump all I can get is about seven pounds on the gauge before I get what sounds like a backfire in the intake.

Been running these springs for three years now.

Must be time for new valve springs.

N/A was fine, middle of last year was fine, now no boost over seven pounds without the "backfire".
    Michael Evans

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Evans View Post
    Even after the new electric fuel pump all I can get is about seven pounds on the gauge before I get what sounds like a backfire in the intake.

Been running these springs for three years now.

Must be time for new valve springs.

N/A was fine, middle of last year was fine, now no boost over seven pounds without the "backfire".
    It sounds like you have too big of a plug gap. Mine does the same thing at about 6 psi if my gap is two big.
    James Love

How do you make a Camaro cool? By putting a Buick engine in it.

The only thing better than a Buick powered chevy is a Buick powered Buick!

More Pixs of my cars

1973 ZSX Skymaro(Z28 Camaro) twin turbo 455 9psi 11.64 @ 120 high 10's on 12psi
    1971 Nova 455 has not seen track yet
    1972 Opel 4 cyl hope to goto turbo v6 fun
    1972 Skylark GS 455 12.80 @ 106
    1967 Skylark 455 has not seen track yet
    1971 Chevelle 307 17.79 @ 75 wife's car
    1969 Skylark 3504brl no track time yet

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast