Welcome to V8Buick.com.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: finally got one of my own!

Thanks for the info on the POR15, from the guys I talked to around here (in cincy), they all said it was fine to put the POR15 on the rusted, but sanded down areas as it sticks to that the best, let it dry and then paint it all with top coat. Never used this stuff before, so we will see what happens.

Well, dug into the floor some more over thanksgiving weekend, needless to say, the floor is a lost cause, worse than we first discovered! Thought the back floor area looked good, turns out the padding between the carpet and the floor was still in when I looked! Ordered a new floor pan yesterday, was going to try and fix but found a good deal with free shipping and 25% off, so ordered a new one!

The paint..... I am planning on painting the car. I know I want to do one solid color but not sure what color? Any suggestions?
    '68 Skylark
    '69 Skylark - started frame off restoration

Go topless or go home

Silver or Black
    70 Chevelle future Pure Stocker
    70 Buick Pure Stock
    12.66 @ 106.27mph
    1.86 60ft @ 2012 Martin Fall Race
    1.82 60ft @ Milan
    71 Buick Entry Level FAST (Wifes)
    12.54 @ 112
    1.99 60ft @ 2012 Martin Spring Race
    Low 12's coming soon

Convertiblegirl,

Didn't catch your name. If you don't mind, I was wondering where you got the deal on the floor and if the sale is still going on? I've got a 72 GS conv. I have been picking up parts for it. The floor has some holes in it. Welcome to this site!
    Carl Unitis

70 GS 462 ht
    71 GS 350 conv - burnished cinnamon frame off restoration
    72 GS 350 conv - lastest project

BPG #1316
    GSCA#4377

Glad to see you're making good progress! It almost sounds like you should do a complete body off restoration. Then you would know everything is done right and make sure the frame is good. I know that's a lot of work though!
    TODD

1966 Riviera parts car
    1966 Riviera parts car (with partial 401 Nailhead)

1966 Skylark 4 dr rolling chassis for parts
    1966 Wildcat 4 dr parts car

1967 Skylark 2 dr ht, goin thru a body-off restoration

1967 GS 400 2 dr ht parts car
    1967 GS 400 convertible parts car

2014 Toyota Camry daily driver

1996 Dodge B2500 (construction and parts hauler)

the floor pan came from orginial parts group http://www.opgi.com/product.asp?catm...atalog=Skylark - they still have the free shipping but not sure on the extra sale! That was Thanksgiving weekend when I ordered.

Black or silver.... think I want more color...... something bright and fun!

Latest update.....it's cold! Hard to work on the car when it's this cold! yeah, I have a garage to work in but with a smaller propane heater and a high ceiling, it's still really cold....so taking a break with the holidays and will get back into it in January! I know still cold then.....

My name .... it's sheryl! Glad to have a support group!
    '68 Skylark

Go topless or go home

Welcome Sheryl!

That's a great project you have going there. We love the progress pictures, keep them coming!
    I can relate to the cold garage thing, I am trying to warm mine up right now - it's way too cold!
    Lee
    71 Skylark Convertible 350/350
    79 Corvette 5 spd.

Greetings from just across the river. I really like the color on that car.
    Gary

1971 GS 455

Just and FYI. This thread is from last year nand this memeber hasn't been on since -Last Activity: 12-15-2010 02:36 PM
    Brian G.
    Current rides/Projects
    1964 Skylark Coupe (blue)-355
    1965 Skylark Coupe(Blue)-300/Auto
    1965 Sport Wagon-(yellow)- 300 Auto,
    1965 Skylark-dreamsicle ( orange and white w/ air ride)
    1964 FORD Falcon Squire Wagon

Wow, been a little over a year since I was last one! Been busy with life and this project! Well, as I continue to gid into this project, we have decided to do a total frame off restoration! Not by choice but by need.

So over the past year, I have been buying parts, parts and more parts..... have a new frame (just the frame) and have started to sand and por15 it.... see picture.... have started to fix up the fenders, sore support and some more pieces......

This has become a HUGE undertaking. Hope to have it done by the end of 2012!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '68 Skylark

Go topless or go home

(Sigh) ... I have Lift Envy

Glad you're still progressing. Lots of times when things were as bad as you found it leads to a total tear down, but you're doing the right thing for both the car and you if you plan to go topless for many years to come.

Me ... I'm celebrating 20 years with my top down this coming season.

FYI - Gary and Doug Paine are out in Ohio (Father/Son) and are a great wealth of info and parts for us 68/69 StepChildren. Their board names are GreatScat and PaineKiller.

Did you get yourself the 1969 Buick Chasis service manual yet ? it will be invaluable to you as you put it back together.

BTW - "we", the 68/69 fans loosely refer to ourselves as the StepChildren because the majority used to only like either the earlier 64-67s or the later 70-72's and po-poo'd the unique styling of the 68/69's ...

... So, welcome to the StepChild Nation and don't hesitate to ask as you progress.
    Alan W

BPG # 1048 - Charter Member
    NE GS/GN Club - 17 Year Member
    68/69 Buick StepChild Nation - 29 Year Member

What is a Buick StepChild ?
    Quote Originally Posted by 442w30 View Post
    ... They have awkward proportions from certain angles, and they look dumpy compared to their GM brethren
    ....'68 SportWagon400 "Sportn'Wood"..............'69 GS400 Convert "BigRed"..........

I learned to drive on the 69 with the top down, it was dads. Always dreamed I would own one of my own.

I did get the manual. Dad is rebuilding his (my brother took it apart and was planning to put it back together but never got it to).

Building two now! Here's a pic of dad's - from back in the day!
    69buick_mike.jpg
    '68 Skylark

Go topless or go home

12. Default Re: finally got one of my own!

Good to see another Buick restoration here in Cincinnati! That picture reminds me of my 68 Skylark convertible I "restored" in 1977...first car, wore a tux to senior prom @ Moonlight Pavillion
    Working on a 69 GS350 hardtop among other things here. Keep us posted on progress!
    65 Wildcat Custom Coupe...Dual Quad Super Wildcat, 4-speed.

Ted Nagel.

Been a while since I have been on this website and gave an update.... so.... I found a 68 on craigslist in the area and went to look at it... this one is in much better shape than the one I am currently restoring... so... cahnge of plans... bought the 68 and will drive.... yet DRIVE this one while I fix it. The body looks great and not too much rust. As for the 69... not sure yet, dad has a 69 as well that we are working on so we might use some of the parts and either part out the 69 and/or sell the shell. I know there will be other parts I will get rid of...like the extra frame, extra hood and more. I get a picture up soon of the new old car!
    '68 Skylark

Go topless or go home

here are the pictures
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '68 Skylark

Go topless or go home

Hey there Sheryl! Great news that you are driving instead of working on the cars only!!! Have fun and keep us posted!
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    My book called Small Block Buick Performance covering the V6, 215, 300, 340, and Buick 350 engines will be released soon.

http://www.v8buick.com/forumdisplay....rformance-Book
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________________________
    1970 Buick Skylark 350 street/strip with 6 point cage: Custom tube headers feed Twin T3/T4 Turbochargers, Holley 650, sheet metal single plane intake, heavily ported iron heads with oversized valves, mild Poston 114 camshaft (2800-6000 RPM), Diamond forged pistons on Hershe forged rods, balanced, ARP everywhere, dual 3" exhaust, Paddle shifted 4L80E 4 speed overdrive, Moser 12 bolt with 3.42 gear.

Yeah, I am really excited about the driving, been out everyday!

Now time to sell the 69 and all the extra pieces!
    '68 Skylark

Go topless or go home

Congratulations on the car and have fun!
    Jim
    N. Mankato, MN

Cool Re: finally got one of my own!

Congrats ! We just got our 70 also ! Topless,..... the only way to go fast with class!
    Mark Passeri
    Rainbow Reservoir
    Poquonock, CT. 06064

Loves Em Topless

1970 Buick Custom Convertible with Factory Buckets, Console, Power Drivers Seat, Tilt Wheel, Power Windows.
    1972 Chevelle 454SS Cowl Induction
    1972 Blazer Convertible 4X4 mint CA truck
    1974 Buick Riviera (for parts, need any?)
    2002 Vette Convertible w/Magnusen Blower
    2003 Chevy Silverado 4X4 Crew Duramax/Allison
    2010 Cadillac CTS/4 3.6DI Sport Wagon Premium Edition

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12