Welcome to V8Buick.com.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: TA TOMAHAWK block

I run 29.5 x 10.5stiff on 15 x 10 w/6.5 bs rims. The frame has been notched, and mini tubbed.
    Gary G.

[QUOTE=badbuik;1757236]OK, here's "my build", much thought went into building a great combination, I wanted to do a 500 ci. motor, but was talked out of it because my stg. 2 TE heads just don't have enough surface area to support 500 inches.

Thats what I thought too Gary. Although my TE's flow great as far as a BBBuick head goes, I settled on 518cui.
    My tunnel ram has bosses in each runner for a fogger nitrous kit if I choose to go that way.
    I just finished paying for my block and Mike T has ordered my Crower maxi-lite crank and selected a bigger roller cam . Because of the shipping distance and cost you will more than likely have yours rumbling the richter scale before mine, so I will be watching this space with anticipation.
    Good luck mate. Keep us posted.
    Cheers
    Royden

Regards
    Royden Hardcastle
    1966 Buick Electra 225 Convertible 401cui
    1928 Dodge Brothers Senior 6
    TA555cui BBB #0291110
    Yep, the only one in the Southern Hemisphere

very interesting..
    wait for the beep and leave a message

Still in the middle of getting my ideas together for the new block. Talked to Mike about a week or so ago and found out exactly the specs on what he has and how many. Think I know how big and what I will use for most of the parts. Will have to go with the Crower crank and will finish the bore a litlte smaller than I had first planned. Realizing this is going to take more time than I had thought. Also had not planned on the Ford size cam journal but I think all the blocks have it. That will mean another cam and the time to get it done special. Trying an angle to get some sponsor money but will most likely be out of old Jim's pocket.
    JIm N.
    Last edited by gymracer01; 01-01-2011 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by staged67gspwr View Post
    Looks killer i bet you`re stoked i know i`d be,lol is there a provision for a ball stud for stick cars on the block?can you snap a pic of the side rear drivers side of the block?

Thanks
    Quick prediction TA block stuffed with all the goodies and making north of 600hp will make short work of most any 4 spd transmission. Might have to look into a Viper trans? What kind would you run. I think an old top loader from a BBF might last a while but they are cast iron.
    John & Terry Kemper
    GSCA #4322
    BPG #1373

70 Sportwagon

Quote Originally Posted by gymracer01 View Post
    Still in the middle of getting my ideas together for the new block. Talked to Mike about a week or so ago and found out exactly the specs on what he has and how many. Think I know how big and what I will use for most of the parts. Will have to go with the Crower crank and will finish the bore a litlte smaller than I had first planned. Realizing this is going to take more time than I had thought. Also had not planned on the Ford size cam journal but I think all the blocks have it. That will mean another cam and the time to get it done special. Trying an angle to get some sponsor money but will most likely be out of old Jim's pocket.
    JIm N.
    Hi Jim,
    If you need the 55mm roller bearing roller cam with the Ford front snout, I did a special order and have them on hand now. Mine have an LS-1 firing order. These are cam blanks with big enough lobes to grind as radical a profile as you want. I've decided to let them go for $725 each plus shipping, so if this is what you need, you could get one NOW.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Weise View Post
    To prove that out, I special ordered a block with the Buick mains in it, out of the first production run, and I plan on building several combos for R&D in the next year or so, and then it will end up in a local guy's car, with a 750 HP build, for long term testing.

JW
    Is Long Island close to being local ?!?!?
    Alan W

BPG # 1048 - Charter Member
    NE GS/GN Club - 17 Year Member
    68/69 Buick StepChild Nation - 29 Year Member

What is a Buick StepChild ?
    Quote Originally Posted by 442w30 View Post
    ... They have awkward proportions from certain angles, and they look dumpy compared to their GM brethren
    ....'68 SportWagon400 "Sportn'Wood"..............'69 GS400 Convert "BigRed"..........

Nice try...

That one is already a local MN guys..

Funny, my machinist, after spending half an hour flipping the block around and checking it all out, looked up at me and asked "is this yours, or a customer's.."

My reply..

"I have to get a better job to afford toys like this"

FWIW... this guy is very familiar with all the aftermarket Blocks on the market, and he ranked this new block right up there with the best ones out there. He must have said "this guy really did his homework" half a dozen times. He noted that it was actually thicker in the rear main web/bellhousing area than a KB Hemi block. He was very impressed, to say the least.

He's an olds guy with 30+ years of experience with all types of high performance engines, from Street to Pro Stock/Mod type pieces. They build a lot of NHRA Stock and Super Stock stuff.

One of his buddies was there with him, and was giving him crap about having to become a Buick Man now.. which he didn't rule out.

And yes, dribble bibs were passed out.

JW
    Owner/operator

Tri-Shield Performance
    Jim Weise
    Founder/Owner
    V-8 Buick.com
    320-629-8999

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.
    Abraham Lincoln
    16th president of US (1809 - 1865)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Weise View Post
    Nice try...

That one is already a local MN guys..

Funny, my machinist, after spending half an hour flipping the block around and checking it all out, looked up at me and asked "is this yours, or a customer's.."

My reply..

"I have to get a better job to afford toys like this"

FWIW... this guy is very familiar with all the aftermarket Blocks on the market, and he ranked this new block right up there with the best ones out there. He must have said "this guy really did his homework" half a dozen times. He noted that it was actually thicker in the rear main web/bellhousing area than a KB Hemi block. He was very impressed, to say the least.

He's an olds guy with 30+ years of experience with all types of high performance engines, from Street to Pro Stock/Mod type pieces. They build a lot of NHRA Stock and Super Stock stuff.

One of his buddies was there with him, and was giving him crap about having to become a Buick Man now.. which he didn't rule out.

And yes, dribble bibs were passed out.

JW
    Nice
    I have a few of the pureist Buick guys here in Oz waiting with anticipation.
    Cheers
    Royden

Regards
    Royden Hardcastle
    1966 Buick Electra 225 Convertible 401cui
    1928 Dodge Brothers Senior 6
    TA555cui BBB #0291110
    Yep, the only one in the Southern Hemisphere

Quote Originally Posted by badbuik View Post
    OK, here's "my build", much thought went into building a great combination, I wanted to do a 500 ci. motor, but was talked out of it because my stg. 2 TE heads just don't have enough surface area to support 500 inches. I just had them reworked, and they are awesome, but 500 ci is alot of motor to be feed thru what I'd call a good small block chevy head.. So I already have a brand new Moldex crank, with a 3.95 stroke, and 7 in. GRP aluminum rods, 4.375 bore, CP nitrous pistons and "bulletproof" nitrous pins and rings, thanks to Scott Brown at Competition Components. The motor will be 475ci's, 13 to 1 compression, roller cammmed, nitrous chuging BEAST! Motor should make well over 750 horse, and I'm ditching my nitrous express plate system in favor of a pro race fogger set up. That system is good for 250 to 600 horse of nitrous, so with the aluminum block, and all the "goodies" this motor will be able to take whatever I can give it! I'm figuring 300 shot of nitrous, the goal is to get my convertible to run in the 8.60 to 8.40 second range in the quarter mile. I cant wait!! My Xmas list will be more goodies from TA Performance so I can succeed with my Beast Build.
    The cat is out of the bag!
    Gary G.
    Ok, I'm going to show how much of a newbie I am.. I thought there were guys out there running over 500 cubic inch iron motors with stage 2 TE heads? Why can't your heads work? Would stage 3 heads work better? Was it because of bore size? Man a guy can get really lost once he choose's to build a motor for the low 9 second range. I know I am.
    Frank (The Somerset Screamer)
    Northeast GS/GN Club
    Buick Performance Group
    8.28@ 166mph

Frank,
    Hope you are enjoying the car. As far as the heads flow vs engine displacement go: A general rule is; head flow in CFMs will support xxx number of HP on a N/A engine. As a rough planning number double your CFM and that is the amount of HP that the heads will support(many other factors...just an example). 350 CFM supports 700 for example. Now on a 500" engine let's say you will make peak power at 6500rpms. In you take the same heads on a 427" engine you now make peak power at 7500 rpms. Those extra 1000 rpms will allow you to run more gear, more mechanical advantage= fast car in the 1/4. Now this is just a basic theory. There are hundreds of factors that can play into this, cam, VE of the engine, intake, timing and such, but you should have a better understanding now. If I did not add to the confusion.
    Last edited by bad-buford; 01-11-2011 at 03:31 PM. Reason: spelling
    Cory Ackley

1993 Ford Lightning
    2004 Ford Lightning

I have known about Paul Cangialosi for several years as he designed/makes a 5 speed tranny for Jaguar XK-E's that fits in the 4-speed space. He cut his teeth on Muncie Transmissions and has 30 years experience building transmissions

He has redesigned the M20/21/22 case and innards to handle lots of HP. He has an extension web-site but the page about these new Muncie's is here: http://www.5speeds.com/newm22.html

Craig
    72 V12 XK-E Convertible 4 speed
    71 V12 XK-E 2+2 Coupe automatic

Good Job Gary.
    I cant wait to see it GO

Ron J
    RonJ
    1983 S10 short box PU
    1970 455 Strage1 Motor Iron heads Flat top pistons. 3.50 Ford 9 inch Tubro 400 brake 4200 Stall
    The S10 with me in it weighs 2970 lbs.
    Best time 10.89 123 mph @ 1500 ft
    Runs consistant times of 11.0 121 mph @ 5500+ ft where I normaliy race Put it all togather and you have a winning GS10.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12