Welcome to V8Buick.com.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default Re: Flame Orange '72 Stage 1 convertibles - Buick Zone Office Cars - qty 25!

Quote Originally Posted by 70sportwagon View Post
    I looked at a basketcase 72 ragtop in this color combo 10 years ago in Illinois, loaded with options. I almost bought it but someone picked it out from under me at the last second. I will see if I have any numbers in my files. Anybody on the board pick this one up or remember it? It was south of Chicago just past Dolton Illinois fall of 2000. Full of bondo and rust but pretty complete and definately a V code car.

I hope it got saved but it was a major project.

There was a zone office in Chicago so maybe it was that car. Please post the info if you ever find anything about the car.
    Gary Steele
    Owner of a bunch of junk.

www.gsrestorations.com <--- Disclaimer: This is neither an advertisement for my dad's place nor a solicitation for customers. Only visit this site if you want to see an outdated site that shows some of the muscle cars my dad has restored in the past.

2. Default Re: Flame Orange '72 Stage 1 convertibles - Buick Zone Office Cars - qty 25!

Quote Originally Posted by gsfred View Post
    There is a 72 orange conv in my area for sale. Listed as a Stage1. Asking for BO over 70k. Could be one of the 25
    Is there an ad online that you could post a link to? or a phone # or email address? I bet it is another of the 25.
    Gary Steele

www.gsrestorations.com <--- Disclaimer: This is neither an advertisement for my dad's place nor a solicitation for customers. Only visit this site if you want to see an outdated site that shows some of the muscle cars my dad has restored in the past.

Default Re: Flame Orange '72 Stage 1 convertibles - Buick Zone Office Cars - qty 25!

Fred Weisse
    67 GS400 4 Speed Convertible
    70 GSX Stage1
    70 GS Stage1 Conv
    87 GNX
    And Much Much More

"Every Breath You Take, Every Move You Make, I'll Be Watching You" Our Gov't at work.

Default Re: Flame Orange '72 Stage 1 convertibles - Buick Zone Office Cars - qty 25!

Quote Originally Posted by BUQUICK View Post
    After learning about the '72 Stage 1 convert Zone Office cars, I wondered if Buick did something similar in previous years with Stage 1s. So your saying that Buick used Cortez Gold Stage 1 converts in '71? Anyone know of a documented '71 with proof that it was invoiced to a Buick Zone Office? I think this is really neat Buick trivia. I'd love to hear more info if anyone has any.
    Gary,
    Get in touch with James Weinman, I believe he may have some info on these cars.
    1970 Stage 1 GSX 4 spd QQ 2 of em
    1971 Stage 1 GSX Auto Arctic White
    1971 Stage 1 GSX 4 spd Platinum Mist
    1971 Stage 1 4 spd Vert Cascade Blue
    1971 Stage 1 4 spd Burnished Cinnamon
    1972 Stage 1 4 spd Vert Burnished Copper

Have several stage projects for sale.

Mike Sobotka

I thought that flame orange [GM65] paint only came out in 72?

My flint built car did not have Stage 1 on the decal on the rad cover. It did have the 10 degree before timing on it though I should have saved it around here somewhere
    John & Terry Kemper
    GSCA #4322
    BPG #1373

70 Sportwagon

I really enjoy the pictures of the 70-72 convertibles. I have a 1971 GS stage 1 convertible factory color 41 Silver Fern with code G convertible top. The car has been painted a dark green over the years. Anyone out there have an original picture????

By the way is all this data from the Stage 1 registry? Sorry if that sounds dopey.
    "Sometimes the place to be is right where you are"

Ken Mild
    Proud member of The Stepchild Nation
    69 GS400; 462ci; 430hp, 530lb.ft.
    12.90 @108.45mph - Open diff. / 3.08 / BFG T/A's
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JjGIo3V40E

The Stage-1 data for 1972 came from the Sloan Museum. I did some extensive research with the production information microfilm a couple years ago.

Mark
    Mark M.
    1970 Buick GSX 455 Saturn Yellow
    1970-72 Buick GSX Registry

10. Default Re: Flame Orange '72 Stage 1 convertibles - Buick Zone Office Cars - qty 25!

Here's another of the 25 Zone Office cars on eBay, VIN 4G67V2H101965. This car is not on the Stage 1 Registry. Until now, I had not seen it anywhere. Someone has added front and rear spoilers and a hood tach, but it is one of the original Zone Office Stage 1 cars. The ad says it has been in southern CA for many years, that might explain why it looks to be a pretty solid old car. So another one is found...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=16124
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gary Steele

Just looked at your zone stuff. thank you for showing the RK Motors picture of my car. This is the car Mark Reeves finished in 06 an freshen up in 2010. The car won 2 gold concours in 2010, an is a beauty. you can see all the RK pictures at RK Motors, web site.vin number 100135.
    RPlacido

12. Default Re: Flame Orange '72 Stage 1 convertibles - Buick Zone Office Cars - qty 25!

Quote Originally Posted by richard placido View Post
    Just looked at your zone stuff. thank you for showing the RK Motors picture of my car. This is the car Mark Reeves finished in 06 an freshen up in 2010. The car won 2 gold concours in 2010, an is a beauty. you can see all the RK pictures at RK Motors, web site.vin number 100135.

There are several of the 25 cars still in existance, but yours, VIN 100135 is by far the nicest one. I'm going to send that info to the BPG or the GSX-tra to publish the information in an effort to find more of the 25 cars. However, I can't publish the photo from RK Motors because they own the picture. So as soon as I get a decent photo of a Zone Office car that I can legally publish, I'll get this info published.

Our car is still unrestored but I could still get a shot that makes it look okay if it weren't for the hood which was painted satin black by the previous owner. Info on our car, (VIN 100048 2nd one built) is found here: http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.php?t=219829

If you see another of the 25, post it here, send me a PM, or shot me an email. I'm going to see how many I can find. So far I've seen 5, but I bet there are many more out there. Most owners probably have no idea about their car being a Zone Office car.
    Gary Steele

Joe Carol, say's go ahead an use the RK Motors pictures. Please mention where you got the pictures. The car is currently for sale at RK motors. I have the email approving your using the pictures.
    RPlacido

The car Fred Mentioned was up here in Mass. For the Bucik club Nationals for sale. It was early car. Maybe August. I have some pictures of it somewhere. Owner says low milage original but it was repainted. Under the hood looks untouched. The weird thing is this car looks like it has a 350 air cleaner support. It sticks out too far and has distorted the plastic part of the air cleaner. I know it may be a factory mistake but I would get that out of there fast.
    Dave, Seeing Yellow
    71 GS Stage-1 Now Sold.

Now have real 70 GSX 4 Speed QQ

Quote Originally Posted by N360LL View Post
    Yes the '71 production was done in a similar manor with the Cortez Gold color. I am not sure about how many were actually produced; I suspect one for every district but there may have been only 13 or so done in total. They are almost all built with consecutive VIN 3's and are very very close in body number as well. The issue in '71 was that they are much more difficult to track given that there is no clear identification code in the VIN for a Stage 1.

I know of at least one '71 car built in March 71 that has all the options of the promotional cars with the exception of transmission. The promotional cars were all TH400's and this one is a 4-speed.
    This is a very interesting thread. Being a Pontiac guy now (actually, I like all musclecars), I am not as up on the GSs as I used to be. As it turns out, I owned what looks like was one of the 1971 promotional cars. I bought the car June 1, 1984 (the day I graduated high school) out of the Milwaukee area and sold it in 1989 after graduating college and needing cash. I didn't think much about it at that time, but over the last number of years I starting wondering if that car was some sort of factory show car or executive car. It was cortez gold/white/white and had every conceivable option on it except it only had an AM radio. It was a very early car built in August '70 and the vin was under 1000 but I don't remember the exact number. I bought it with 66k original miles and think I had around 71k on it when I sold it, including a trip out to northern VA. It is the car that my member name here is based on.

Maybe there should be a thread about the '71 promotional cars

I'm a new member here at V8 Buick and am thrilled to learn about the unusual history of our car.

Our 72 GS Stage 1 Convertible is apparently a previously undocumented Zone Office car. It is the Zone 8 Cleveland, OH car. The car is not listed on the Stage 1 registry so this should increase the quantity of Zone Office survivors to six. The car is all numbers matching with original owners documentation. VIN 100868, Order Number RR0131.

Reading the above postings, and others on V8Buick, am I correct that the following 1972 Stage 1 Convertible Zone Office cars still exist: Atlanta, GA, Minneapolis, MN, Pittsburgh, PA, Chicago, IL, and now Cleveland, OH? I wasn't able to locate the office location of the sixth and am uncertain about the Chicago car.

I've attached a picture of our GS taken yesterday.

JC

18. Default Re: Flame Orange '72 Stage 1 convertibles - Buick Zone Office Cars - qty 25!

Quote Originally Posted by atarizona View Post
    I'm a new member here at V8 Buick and am thrilled to learn about the unusual history of our car.

Our 72 GS Stage 1 Convertible is apparently a previously undocumented Zone Office car. It is the Zone 8 Cleveland, OH car. The car is not listed on the Stage 1 registry so this should increase the quantity of Zone Office survivors to six. The car is all numbers matching with original owners documentation. VIN 100868, Order Number RR0131.

Reading the above postings, and others on V8Buick, am I correct that the following 1972 Stage 1 Convertible Zone Office cars still exist: Atlanta, GA, Minneapolis, MN, Pittsburgh, PA, Chicago, IL, and now Cleveland, OH? I wasn't able to locate the office location of the sixth and am uncertain about the Chicago car.

I've attached a picture of our GS taken yesterday.

JC
    Welcome to V8Buick.com!

Thanks for posting about your car, and for adding a picture. It is a great looking car. When we restore our car we are also going to remove the front & rear bumper guards. In my opinion they are just too big and look like they were intended to be push-bars like a cop car! Your car looks so clean without them. Once again, just my opinion.

So far I have seen these four Zone Office cars:

-Atlanta, GA
    -Minneapolis, MN
    -Pittsburgh, PA
    -Cleveland, OH

plus three others: the car currently on eBay (Fisher body #010120), plus a car on the Stage 1 registry (Fisher Body# 010134), plus the car that is mentioned by "OH stage one" in post #13 on page one of this thread that he thinks is VIN 100092 or 93.

So it looks like there are probably at least 7, but I'm sure there are more. As people see this thread they will continue to be brought to light. I'm hoping to send the info for publication soon, as well as create a small website dedicated to Buick Zone Office cars.

Thanks again for speaking up about your car.
    Last edited by BUQUICK; 07-27-2011 at 08:28 PM.
    Gary Steele

I saw one for sale at Mecum Fla auction several years back.
    Jim Lore
    BPG 1037
    "If you cannot clear up the confusion at least make the confusion clear."

The bumper guards were not re-installed on our car. The front bumper guards look like an after thought and diminish the clean look of the car in my opinion.

Also, the headlight bezels on our car are argent not black as is correct for a 1972.

Buick was pushing safety in 1972, ahead of the 1973 DOT bumper impact regs. As the Zone Cars were likely showroom items during the model year, it makes sense Buick added them on as optional equipment.

What's strange to me was the installation of an AM radio with 8-Track and the extra rear speaker. Why not use the AM/FM Stereo with 8-track option?

Thank you Buquick for gathering together info on the 1972 Zone Office cars. Happy to support you in your efforts. Please contact me if I can be of any assistance.

A census of the remaining 1972 Zone Office cars should be attempted. The census would include VIN, Body number, zone office number/city, and perhaps a picture if available.

The eBay car is the same that was sold in June 2011 at Barrett-Jackson Orange County for $23,100. The auction photo from June looked like there was a tear in the front seat driver-side lumbar position. The front seat cover looks fresh now. They should replace the door panels and remove the front spoiler in my opinion.

JC

Possibly concerning thecar from dolton...In 1986, I was 16,I purchased a flame orange 72 vert s1 for 1100$ car had typical illinois rust bhind each wheel but overall not bad.I drove car to high school,raced it at union grove,then traded the car for a #s matching 70 stage 1 that was hit in the front.I kept track of the vert for a few years. Last I saw it waspainted like a GSX,sat in suburb of Harvey with a spun bearing,lost track after that.I will look through some old stuff and see ifI have the vin or possibly the build sheet on this car.Everytime I see a flame orange 72 I would wondr if it was my old gs then it seemed to be the only color id see.

22. Default Re: Flame Orange '72 Stage 1 convertibles - Buick Zone Office Cars - qty 25!

Quote Originally Posted by joracer12 View Post
    Possibly concerning thecar from dolton...In 1986, I was 16,I purchased a flame orange 72 vert s1 for 1100$ car had typical illinois rust bhind each wheel but overall not bad.I drove car to high school,raced it at union grove,then traded the car for a #s matching 70 stage 1 that was hit in the front.I kept track of the vert for a few years. Last I saw it waspainted like a GSX,sat in suburb of Harvey with a spun bearing,lost track after that.I will look through some old stuff and see ifI have the vin or possibly the build sheet on this car.Everytime I see a flame orange 72 I would wondr if it was my old gs then it seemed to be the only color id see.
    Please keep your eyes open and if you ever find anything related to your old car, please share. If it was an orange Stage 1 convert, with a white top then the chances are pretty high that it was one of these 25 cars.
    Gary Steele

23. Default Re: Flame Orange '72 Stage 1 convertibles - Buick Zone Office Cars - qty 25!

Quote Originally Posted by copperheadgs1 View Post
    The car Fred Mentioned was up here in Mass. For the Bucik club Nationals for sale. It was early car. Maybe August. I have some pictures of it somewhere. Owner says low milage original but it was repainted. Under the hood looks untouched. The weird thing is this car looks like it has a 350 air cleaner support. It sticks out too far and has distorted the plastic part of the air cleaner. I know it may be a factory mistake but I would get that out of there fast.
    The guy selling this car says it was at the BCA show this year so it must be the same car you saw. Their ad doesn't have very good photos, so if you have any to share, that would be cool. Board member Atarizona recently called R&R Motors and spoke to them about the car and confirmed from their Sloan docs that this car is the New York City Zone Office car.

http://www.randrmotor.com/inventory....ce=-1&keyword=
    Gary Steele

24. Default Re: Flame Orange '72 Stage 1 convertibles - Buick Zone Office Cars - qty 25!

Well it was 40 years ago today that most of these 25 cars were invoiced to the Zone Offices.

21 of the 25 cars were invoiced on 8/26/71. (one more was invoiced on 8/27/71, two on 8/30/71, and one on 9/1/71)

I'm working to gather content for a small website dedicated to these cars, www.stage1zoneofficecars.com
    Gary Steele

25. Default Re: Flame Orange '72 Stage 1 convertibles - Buick Zone Office Cars - qty 25!

Quote Originally Posted by OH stage one View Post
    My local buick buddy has a 72 stage 1 convert matching the listed options his vin is 000092 (I think possibly 93) DSO in chicago has to be one of the 25
    This must be your buddy's car since this one has VIN 100091 and after being the Zone Office car was sold new at a dealer in Chicago. Good looking car.
    http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_de...=SC0512-129785 It will be interesting to see what it brings on Saturday.
    SC0512-129785_7.jpgSC0512-129785_1.jpgSC0512-129785_8.jpgSC0512-129785_3.jpgSC0512-129785_6.jpg

So this confirms at least 7 of these cars that I've run across now. Probably still more out there so if anyone sees one of them let me know so I can add it to the list.
    Gary Steele

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast