Welcome to V8Buick.com.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 101 to 118 of 118

Thread: Serial #0191110

  1. #101
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Grande Prairie Alberta Canada
    Posts
    273

    Default Re: Serial #0191110

    Was there no dual reservoir/circuit master cylinder in your set-up Doug? This is certainly a wake-up call for me to check my system out. Sure glad it happened where it did then! Best of luck with the new engine. I can't wait for the results when you get it dialed in. Tom
    Tom Hearsey
    71' GS 455

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Posts
    2,997

    Default Re: Serial #0191110

    Well, my brake problem turned out to be caused by the right front caliper bracket breaking again where it broke on me when I was in Bowling Green back in October. At that time I had had a local BG machine shop weld the cracked bracket and redrill the bolt hole and it looked perfect. The bracket broke again and shifted forward with the caliper when I hit the brakes, pulling on the brake hose hard enough that the fitting cracked.
    I ordered a whole new Wilwood front brake kit on Wednesday, it arrived on Friday and we took the car to the track today with new brakes and new steel braided brake hoses.
    Did a nice burnout and this time the car stopped at the starting line with no issues. The plan was to run it hard to the 1/8 mile mark and coast the rest of the way, easing into the brakes a few times to break them in as nicely as possible.
    I hit the transbrake, floored the gas, let go of the button, and POW! The car LEPT up in the air so high that it even impressed ME, and that takes some doing. It went so high that ALL FOUR WHEELS CAME OFF THE GROUND!!! It hit the rev limiter and I had no choice but to lift off the gas. It came down pretty hard so I drove slowly down the track and went back to the pits to check the car out. The headers, which were pretty beat up before and were on the list of things to replaced this summer, are MURDERED! Head flanges are bent and collectors are smashed. My buddy Brandon said he might be able to patch them up enough to run next week at Norwalk, but he won't know til he gets them off.
    The sick part is that I always ran 4.30 gears when I had my 525" and was doing big wheelies. This time, I went out there with 4.10s and figured there was no need to lower the wheelie bars. WRONG!
    Brandon ran it on the chassis dyno yesterday and picked up 20hp with carb and timing adjustments. 868hp at 7200 rpm.
    Today's weather was just perfect for racing too! Damn it. 50 degrees, 38% humidity, barometer was at 30.55. Damn it!
    My wife said the track photographer took a shot of the car on the way up, but when he tried to get a second one when it was all the way up, the camera failed to shoot! Damn it again! You Tube moment for sure and I'll never see it from outside the car!
    Probably would've had a career best ET today, if I'd been able to make some more passes.
    I figure between the additional power, the lighter TA block, and the fact that I've lost 100 lbs since the last time I ran with anywhere near this much power, the nose of the car is going to be more prone to lifting.
    Hopefully I can get right back out there. Otherwise, new headers coming sooner than I expected.
    Doug Hecker
    65 GranSport
    8.61@155.20
    1.20 60-ft.
    1996 Englishtown Buick Performance Weekend - Quick 16 Winner
    1999 Englishtown Buick Performance Weekend - B.O.P. Supercar Shootout Winner
    2004 Norwalk Buick Raceday - Quick 16 Winner
    2015 GS Nationals - Super 16 Winner

  3. #103
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Oakland Gardens, N.Y.
    Posts
    27,206

    Default Re: Serial #0191110

    You just never know what will happen at the track Doug. One thing is sure, Murphy's Law sure applies. When I was at Cecil, my car didn't trap as high as it should, and the mechanical advance let go inside the distributor. I now know that my fuel pressure was low, because of a fuel pump that was assembled incorrectly at the factory. At least I got my car into the 11's for the first time, and was able to drive it home. Oh Well, it's a new season. Plenty of time to straighten things out. Sounds like easy 8's are in your future. Here are 2 pictures Jacob posted on Facebook.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Larry
    1998 "Fully Optioned" SC3800 Riviera
    70 GS 455 Stage1, TSP 470, 602 HP@ 5900, 589 TQ @ 4900
    TA Hyd Roller Cam, 230*/238*, 112, .544"/.577" lift, 4-7 swap
    MSD Digital 6+, Ignitionman Distributor w/MSD trigger
    THM400 with Ultimate 258mm converter, Gear Vendors OD
    AED 1000 HO Carb, 800 CFM 7042240 Quadrajet
    8.5 10 bolt, 3.73's Race weight 4025lbs.
    Best E.T. 11.54 Best MPH, 116.06
    Larrymta@verizon.net, GSCA #291
    BPG # 1063
    N.E. GS/GN Club Assistant Director

  4. #104
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Merryland
    Posts
    5,194

    Default Re: Serial #0191110

    That'll teach you....shouldn't have lost that weight. Better eat a few 24oz cowboy ribeyes before Norwalk......

    Hope someone got the pic with all four tires off the ground!

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    chardon,ohio
    Posts
    5,402

    Default Re: Serial #0191110

    Quote Originally Posted by stagetwo65 View Post
    Well, my brake problem turned out to be caused by the right front caliper bracket breaking again where it broke on me when I was in Bowling Green back in October. At that time I had had a local BG machine shop weld the cracked bracket and redrill the bolt hole and it looked perfect. The bracket broke again and shifted forward with the caliper when I hit the brakes, pulling on the brake hose hard enough that the fitting cracked.
    I ordered a whole new Wilwood front brake kit on Wednesday, it arrived on Friday and we took the car to the track today with new brakes and new steel braided brake hoses.
    Did a nice burnout and this time the car stopped at the starting line with no issues. The plan was to run it hard to the 1/8 mile mark and coast the rest of the way, easing into the brakes a few times to break them in as nicely as possible.
    I hit the transbrake, floored the gas, let go of the button, and POW! The car LEPT up in the air so high that it even impressed ME, and that takes some doing. It went so high that ALL FOUR WHEELS CAME OFF THE GROUND!!! It hit the rev limiter and I had no choice but to lift off the gas. It came down pretty hard so I drove slowly down the track and went back to the pits to check the car out. The headers, which were pretty beat up before and were on the list of things to replaced this summer, are MURDERED! Head flanges are bent and collectors are smashed. My buddy Brandon said he might be able to patch them up enough to run next week at Norwalk, but he won't know til he gets them off.
    The sick part is that I always ran 4.30 gears when I had my 525" and was doing big wheelies. This time, I went out there with 4.10s and figured there was no need to lower the wheelie bars. WRONG!
    Brandon ran it on the chassis dyno yesterday and picked up 20hp with carb and timing adjustments. 868hp at 7200 rpm.
    Today's weather was just perfect for racing too! Damn it. 50 degrees, 38% humidity, barometer was at 30.55. Damn it!
    My wife said the track photographer took a shot of the car on the way up, but when he tried to get a second one when it was all the way up, the camera failed to shoot! Damn it again! You Tube moment for sure and I'll never see it from outside the car!
    Probably would've had a career best ET today, if I'd been able to make some more passes.
    I figure between the additional power, the lighter TA block, and the fact that I've lost 100 lbs since the last time I ran with anywhere near this much power, the nose of the car is going to be more prone to lifting.
    Hopefully I can get right back out there. Otherwise, new headers coming sooner than I expected.
    Foot brake first Dougie,foot brake first,remember baby steps.
    That must've been one hell of a launch and got your attention,when you get that sorted out that thing is gonna be a beast,good luck.
    Can't wait to see it.
    gary
    gary
    Iron Stage 2
    GSCA #51
    BPG #1135
    To grow old is mandatory,
    To grow up is optional.
    "CARPE DIEM"

    69 GS400 4 speed documented Stage2,original owner,18k miles
    68 GS400 Stage2 race car "Great Scat" 9.94
    69 GS400 4 speed convertible
    70 Q-Q GSX ( actually Sandy's) pure stock trim,12.78 best et
    70 Race car, "Thumper"resurrected. 9.80
    71 GS 455 10 second street car, triple black
    71 GS 455 11 second grocery getter

  6. #106
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Posts
    2,997

    Default Re: Serial #0191110

    Quote Originally Posted by greatscat View Post
    Foot brake first Dougie,foot brake first,remember baby steps.
    That must've been one hell of a launch and got your attention,when you get that sorted out that thing is gonna be a beast,good luck.
    Can't wait to see it.
    gary
    Believe me Gary, I've played out two scenarios in my head, over and over.
    #1 is where I should've set the wheelie bars down low, just in case.
    #2 is where I should've foot braked it, especially since that's what I was gonna do last week before the brakes went south.
    I just couldn't get past the idea that with the 4.10s in there, pushing 33-inch tires, that it'd be dead off the line like it always was with my 525". This is whole different animal, no matter what the peak hp numbers on the dyno sheets say. It has a much wider powerband and it accelerates a whole lot faster too.
    I came out to Norwalk ten years ago, with that brand new 525" under the hood and a couple of 9.29 shakedown passes at Island Dragway under my belt. I had the 4.10s out back and 32x14s on it and it ran a bunch of 9.40s and a couple of 9.30s, with maybe 12 inches of daylight under the front tires. Nice, for sure, but nothing like this!
    A week or two later I stopped at Summit Racing on my way to Bowling Green and I got myself a set of 4.56s and a pair of 33x14.5 high-growth Goodyears, and suddenly I was running 9.08s and hanging the front wheels!
    I seriously doubt this engine will EVER need 4.56s for ANY reason.
    Doug Hecker
    65 GranSport
    8.61@155.20
    1.20 60-ft.
    1996 Englishtown Buick Performance Weekend - Quick 16 Winner
    1999 Englishtown Buick Performance Weekend - B.O.P. Supercar Shootout Winner
    2004 Norwalk Buick Raceday - Quick 16 Winner
    2015 GS Nationals - Super 16 Winner

  7. #107
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Eastcoast of Canada
    Posts
    3,197

    Default Re: Serial #0191110

    Quote Originally Posted by stagetwo65 View Post
    Believe me Gary, I've played out two scenarios in my head, over and over.
    #1 is where I should've set the wheelie bars down low, just in case.
    #2 is where I should've foot braked it, especially since that's what I was gonna do last week before the brakes went south.
    I just couldn't get past the idea that with the 4.10s in there, pushing 33-inch tires, that it'd be dead off the line like it always was with my 525". This is whole different animal, no matter what the peak hp numbers on the dyno sheets say. It has a much wider powerband and it accelerates a whole lot faster too.
    I came out to Norwalk ten years ago, with that brand new 525" under the hood and a couple of 9.29 shakedown passes at Island Dragway under my belt. I had the 4.10s out back and 32x14s on it and it ran a bunch of 9.40s and a couple of 9.30s, with maybe 12 inches of daylight under the front tires. Nice, for sure, but nothing like this!
    A week or two later I stopped at Summit Racing on my way to Bowling Green and I got myself a set of 4.56s and a pair of 33x14.5 high-growth Goodyears, and suddenly I was running 9.08s and hanging the front wheels!
    I seriously doubt this engine will EVER need 4.56s for ANY reason.
    Doug, did you re scale the car and adjust the wheelie bars since the weight loss on the front and the drivers side of the car?
    70 stage1 clone 464 iron STG1 heads, 4.11 gears 10 10.17@129.8
    72 GS LS gone BBB going back in! Went 9.93 with BBB power
    GSX clone 462 9.3:1, STG2se 3.73, 11.0s 439.39 RWHP/437.99 TQ
    69 2dr Wildcat red, with white int and a full load.
    Without data, you're just another guy with an opinion.

  8. #108
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Posts
    2,997

    Default Re: Serial #0191110

    Quote Originally Posted by buicksstage1 View Post
    Doug, did you re scale the car and adjust the wheelie bars since the weight loss on the front and the drivers side of the car?
    Nope. I haven't scaled the car in 15 years, through all different engines. As far as the wheelie bars, I always left them all the way up as "bumper savers", and that's where they still were.
    Doug Hecker
    65 GranSport
    8.61@155.20
    1.20 60-ft.
    1996 Englishtown Buick Performance Weekend - Quick 16 Winner
    1999 Englishtown Buick Performance Weekend - B.O.P. Supercar Shootout Winner
    2004 Norwalk Buick Raceday - Quick 16 Winner
    2015 GS Nationals - Super 16 Winner

  9. #109
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Posts
    2,997

    Default Re: Serial #0191110

    Well, the track photos from Sunday are up, and he got a decent shot, but nowhere near the apex with all the wheels off the ground. I tried posting a link but it wouldn't take. It's at davemilcarek.com under Atco 2013 Sunday 4/21.
    Doug Hecker
    65 GranSport
    8.61@155.20
    1.20 60-ft.
    1996 Englishtown Buick Performance Weekend - Quick 16 Winner
    1999 Englishtown Buick Performance Weekend - B.O.P. Supercar Shootout Winner
    2004 Norwalk Buick Raceday - Quick 16 Winner
    2015 GS Nationals - Super 16 Winner

  10. #110
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Medina,Ohio
    Posts
    2,184

    Default Re: Serial #0191110

    Gary Kubisch
    '70 Skylark STG 2
    9.40's at 141+ all motor at 3370lbs
    ALL IN GOOD TASTE

  11. #111
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    BRIGHTON,CO
    Posts
    892

    Default Re: Serial #0191110

    Quote Originally Posted by stagetwo65 View Post
    Well, my brake problem turned out to be caused by the right front caliper bracket breaking again where it broke on me when I was in Bowling Green back in October. At that time I had had a local BG machine shop weld the cracked bracket and redrill the bolt hole and it looked perfect. The bracket broke again and shifted forward with the caliper when I hit the brakes, pulling on the brake hose hard enough that the fitting cracked.
    I ordered a whole new Wilwood front brake kit on Wednesday, it arrived on Friday and we took the car to the track today with new brakes and new steel braided brake hoses.
    Did a nice burnout and this time the car stopped at the starting line with no issues. The plan was to run it hard to the 1/8 mile mark and coast the rest of the way, easing into the brakes a few times to break them in as nicely as possible.
    I hit the transbrake, floored the gas, let go of the button, and POW! The car LEPT up in the air so high that it even impressed ME, and that takes some doing. It went so high that ALL FOUR WHEELS CAME OFF THE GROUND!!! It hit the rev limiter and I had no choice but to lift off the gas. It came down pretty hard so I drove slowly down the track and went back to the pits to check the car out. The headers, which were pretty beat up before and were on the list of things to replaced this summer, are MURDERED! Head flanges are bent and collectors are smashed. My buddy Brandon said he might be able to patch them up enough to run next week at Norwalk, but he won't know til he gets them off.
    The sick part is that I always ran 4.30 gears when I had my 525" and was doing big wheelies. This time, I went out there with 4.10s and figured there was no need to lower the wheelie bars. WRONG!
    Brandon ran it on the chassis dyno yesterday and picked up 20hp with carb and timing adjustments. 868hp at 7200 rpm.
    Today's weather was just perfect for racing too! Damn it. 50 degrees, 38% humidity, barometer was at 30.55. Damn it!
    My wife said the track photographer took a shot of the car on the way up, but when he tried to get a second one when it was all the way up, the camera failed to shoot! Damn it again! You Tube moment for sure and I'll never see it from outside the car!
    Probably would've had a career best ET today, if I'd been able to make some more passes.
    I figure between the additional power, the lighter TA block, and the fact that I've lost 100 lbs since the last time I ran with anywhere near this much power, the nose of the car is going to be more prone to lifting.
    Hopefully I can get right back out there. Otherwise, new headers coming sooner than I expected.
    How did you Pick up 20 HP thru the Drive train at the tire when you made 848 HP at the Flywheel on a Dyno ?.

  12. #112
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Posts
    2,997

    Default Re: Serial #0191110

    Quote Originally Posted by JEFF STRUBE View Post
    How did you Pick up 20 HP thru the Drive train at the tire when you made 848 HP at the Flywheel on a Dyno ?.
    If we picked up 20 hp through the drive train, and I added 20 to my previous total of 848 flywheel hp, wouldn't that make Iit 868 if it started at 848? 20hp is 20 hp, isn't it?
    Doug Hecker
    65 GranSport
    8.61@155.20
    1.20 60-ft.
    1996 Englishtown Buick Performance Weekend - Quick 16 Winner
    1999 Englishtown Buick Performance Weekend - B.O.P. Supercar Shootout Winner
    2004 Norwalk Buick Raceday - Quick 16 Winner
    2015 GS Nationals - Super 16 Winner

  13. #113
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Medina,Ohio
    Posts
    2,184

    Default Re: Serial #0191110

    Consider drivetrain losses and slicks on a chassis dyno.....Maybe closer to 30hp at the FW
    Gary Kubisch
    '70 Skylark STG 2
    9.40's at 141+ all motor at 3370lbs
    ALL IN GOOD TASTE

  14. #114
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,813

    Default Re: Serial #0191110

    Whats the latest?

  15. #115
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Posts
    2,997

    Default Re: Serial #0191110

    Got new stainless steel headers built for the car. That's the good part.
    I had wanted to check the System1 filter to make sure nothing got hurt. There's metal in the filter, mostly copper. Drained the oilpan into a clean drain pan, lots of metal in that as well. Motor is going to go back down to Scotty's to figure out what went wrong and fix it. At least we caught it before it got really ugly, which would have been on the first or second full pass.
    Backup motor that I ran in Bowling Green last year is going back in the car next week.
    Such is life.
    Doug Hecker
    65 GranSport
    8.61@155.20
    1.20 60-ft.
    1996 Englishtown Buick Performance Weekend - Quick 16 Winner
    1999 Englishtown Buick Performance Weekend - B.O.P. Supercar Shootout Winner
    2004 Norwalk Buick Raceday - Quick 16 Winner
    2015 GS Nationals - Super 16 Winner

  16. #116
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Boston,MA
    Posts
    3,455

    Default

    Stop dragging your ass and get it up here already
    HERB L.
    BOSTON, MA


    GNX #016
    GNX #132
    1986 WH1
    1984 Grand National
    1974 Apollo GSX
    1971 Stage 1 Auto
    1970 GSX Stage 1 Auto 10-10
    1969 Skylark Convertible
    1965 Riviera Custom
    1965 Riviera GS
    Finishline Built Stage 2 Iron Head Engine

  17. #117
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    838

    Default Re: Serial #0191110

    Quote Originally Posted by stagetwo65 View Post
    Got new stainless steel headers built for the car. That's the good part.
    I had wanted to check the System1 filter to make sure nothing got hurt. There's metal in the filter, mostly copper. Drained the oilpan into a clean drain pan, lots of metal in that as well. Motor is going to go back down to Scotty's to figure out what went wrong and fix it. At least we caught it before it got really ugly, which would have been on the first or second full pass.
    Backup motor that I ran in Bowling Green last year is going back in the car next week.
    Such is life.
    Thats no good Doug. Let us know what the outcome is.
    On a side note, I found some wear on the distributor gear after running it for about 30mins, but I am hoping it was with the 30w break in oil and the 70-80psi oil pressure at idle which caused it. I have since changed to 20w-50 oil, changed the oil reg spring, adjusted it and opened up the oil restrictors to allow a bit more up top too. Oil pressure is now at 30-40psi @ idle hot, up to 70psi @ 5000rpm hot.
    Doug, atleast these motors can have the "ugly" fixed
    Cheers

    Regards
    Royden Hardcastle
    1966 Buick Electra 225 Convertible 401cui
    1928 Dodge Brothers Senior 6
    TA555cui BBB #0291110
    Yep, the only one in the Southern Hemisphere

  18. #118
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,813

    Default Re: Serial #0191110

    Sorry to hear. Hope its nothing major. Keep us posted.

 

 
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Similar Threads

  1. Pics of 'GSJohnny serial #2
    By gunnracing in forum Small Block Tech
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 03-26-2011, 07:32 PM
  2. 340 engine serial numbers 1966
    By imac61 in forum The "Paper Trail"
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-13-2007, 09:22 PM
  3. Where do i find the transmission serial #/code?
    By DelBuick in forum Buick FAQ
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-21-2007, 04:15 PM
  4. Serial number ?
    By rmstg2 in forum The Bench
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-02-2007, 11:58 AM
  5. Serial number mystery
    By pontchief in forum The "Paper Trail"
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-18-2006, 09:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top