Welcome to V8Buick.com.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Doc's dual plane mod and port matching stky

First, you gotta get your hands on a good intake manifold,,, this one is like me,,, old and weathered...

and on this one I am going to portmatch it to the heads and grind off all the knuckle skinning casting flash on the outside.... you start by placing an old intake manifold gasket on the manifold with the ridges facing up toward the manifold,,, because the gasket is directional and has to be in the right location.

I anchor the gasket in place with bolts in each end and then mark the inside edges with a marker...

This is how it looks when the gasket is removed....

then with a die grinder or drill motor and a carbide burr or stones proceed to grind over to the line in the runners...

Now on to the Doc dual plane mod,,,first I put the manifold in the sand blasting box and cleaned it up,,,then I take a straight edge and mark the cuts with a marker...

and then I make the first basic cuts with a die grinder and a 1/4'' abraisive cut off wheel... when you get down as deep into the manifold as possible, then switch over to a sawsall and a short blade with 14 teeth per inch because the coarser teeth cut faster in cast iron... and as you are cutting , lube the blade with tap majic or atf to keep it cool and speed cutting...

after the partitions are removed then go to a 6 in. carbide burr to smooth up the sides, down into the manifold,,, this takes the most time,,, lube the burr with atf often to keep it cool and speed cutting,,, I cut my pressure back to about 40 psi... and put a fan on my compressor to keep it cool....

after the sides are smoothed up, completely clean the manifold inside and out to get all the crud out of it and then paint it....
    Behold, the Doc dual plane.....

Now if John , or one of you guys will stickey this thing ,,,, I will greatly appreciate it.....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Doc "Widely unknown"

Default Re: Doc's dual plane mod and port matching stky

Quote Originally Posted by doc View Post
    First, you gotta get your hands on a good intake manifold,,, this one is like me,,, old and weathered...

and on this one I am going to portmatch it to the heads and grind off all the knuckle skinning casting flash on the outside.... you start by placing an old intake manifold gasket on the manifold with the ridges facing up toward the manifold,,, because the gasket is directional and has to be in the right location.

I anchor the gasket in place with bolts in each end and then mark the inside edges with a marker...

This is how it looks when the gasket is removed....

then with a die grinder or drill motor and a carbide burr or stones proceed to grind over to the line in the runners...

Now on to the Doc dual plane mod,,,first I put the manifold in the sand blasting box and cleaned it up,,,then I take a straight edge and mark the cuts with a marker...

and then I make the first basic cuts with a die grinder and a 1/4'' abraisive cut off wheel... when you get down as deep into the manifold as possible, then switch over to a sawsall and a short blade with 14 teeth per inch because the coarser teeth cut faster in cast iron... and as you are cutting , lube the blade with tap majic or atf to keep it cool and speed cutting...

after the partitions are removed then go to a 6 in. carbide burr to smooth up the sides, down into the manifold,,, this takes the most time,,, lube the burr with atf often to keep it cool and speed cutting,,, I cut my pressure back to about 40 psi... and put a fan on my compressor to keep it cool....

after the sides are smoothed up, completely clean the manifold inside and out to get all the crud out of it and then paint it....
    Behold, the Doc dual plane.....

Now if John , or one of you guys will stickey this thing ,,,, I will greatly appreciate it.....
    my girlfriend walked by when i was looking at the thread, wants to know who the handsome gentleman in the photo is.

LOL, I gotta tell ya Doc it looks good
    Bob-St Louis MO.

Yeah, Bob , it is amazing what you can do by whining and crying.....to get other people to help....
    Doc "Widely unknown"

Doc you have been stuck .
    John Everett

"Not all Boats are slow Boats"

66 Wildcat GS 2x4 425 original
    GSCA# 1966
    66 Wildcat GS convertible
    Dragsters;
    221" 1973 S&W rear engine Blown Fuel Nailhead
    200" FED 462" Cast iron block, Hilborn 4-port
    148" Injected Nailhead FED

Wonderfull, John,,, thanks a bunch , pard.....
    Doc "Widely unknown"

The whole process is well worth the time, I can attest. Took two tenths of my ET with no other changes. With the increased airflow, going richer with .086 jets and .048 rods were worth a tenth each too (at least in cooler weather)..not bad for a day's work.
    Rhett

65 Gran Sport Convertible
    71 GS455 - Unconfirmed Stage1
    73 Gran Sport Stage1 4spd
    72 Pontiac Grand Ville Convertible

71 GS455 Conv. 4spd Tribute - Sold, now a Swedish citizen
    66 Corvair Monza 140 4spd Convertible - Sold, presumed Hurricane Sandy victim

Excellent "How To".

My wife made a similar comment to the one above about the nice fellow in the first pic. The pictures are worth a thousand words each.

Doc, what happens if the center divider is lowered for higher hp builds too? Anyone tried it?

Devon
    Fuel & Brake Systems Engineer
    "I can live with doubt and uncertainty and not knowing. I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong." - Feynman
    "Good data is precious. The problem I have is when some damned fool fails to use it properly." - Slingerland

thanks doc, doesnt look that hard at all now. the pictures help a ton. im glad i picked up a cheap but very very clean extra intake to try first just in case a screw it up.
    Dan
    1984 Regal Limited without an engine right now
    1970 GS 455 Convertible (in progress)<---hers
    2005 Tahoe (Daily driver)

Doc's dual quad dual plane mod so can it be done with benefits?
    No one would know and you could still have dual quads.
    John Everett

"Not all Boats are slow Boats"

66 Wildcat GS 2x4 425 original
    GSCA# 1966
    66 Wildcat GS convertible
    Dragsters;
    221" 1973 S&W rear engine Blown Fuel Nailhead
    200" FED 462" Cast iron block, Hilborn 4-port
    148" Injected Nailhead FED

I'm with John, Doc. Same benefits with a 2x4 manifold. Don't have an extra to try. Might be interesting.
    Bob
    Bob G.

Actually as much as I would like to promote the mod for dual quad set ups, I think that the improvement would probably be less percentage wise.... but,,,, that said, if you are racing and looking for the last bit of power that a engine has... Well, eelco did it on their dual quad manifold,,, so it must be worth while....but I think that the percentage of gain may be less than for a single carb set up.... the velocity thru the manifold would be less than a single carb manifold.....
    Doc "Widely unknown"

Nice to see your face doc !!!

2 questions:
    • For the manifold porting... do you have to do the same thing on the head side (ie: lay gasket , mark it, grind it) ?

• The DDP (Doc Dual Plane) procedure .. is that good for a stock 1960 401 AFB carb set up if I dont change anything else ? Will it bring me anything or is it really only for souped up setups (ie: changing jets and rods) as people seem to discuss on this board ?

RJ,,,, It would be best if you did the heads too... but you dont have to.... the gasket seals the joint between the two.... I have the engine apart and will do that , but just havent yet....the procedure is the same for both sides, be sure to place the intake gasket ridges facing up toward the intake manifold....

Yes you will definitly pick up a considerable amount of power, even if you change nothing else.... that is exactly what I did on my very first one... I wanted to see if the mod itsself made a difference....so I absolutely did not change anything else.... and the car, my 64 riv, ran much stronger....same afb,same air cleaner, same engine tune up....

My face... that guy that looks back at me in the mirror is way too old.... But you guys tell the ladies that their compliments made my day.....heck my week,,, my month....

Dev,,, I never have done that,,, I think one or two have,,, but I havent heard back from them,,,, Tom T was talking about ''rounding'' the area where the air turns to go into the runners ,up at the roof of the manifold and I did do that on this one but havent used it to see if there was any difference....couldnt hurt to do what Tom was talking about.... but I would think that taking part or all of the center divider out would raise the rpm range....
    Doc "Widely unknown"

Is this only for Nailheads or good for the other BBB's?
    Last edited by 68riviera430; 03-25-2011 at 09:08 AM. Reason: stupid second question
    Adrian Migotti
    1968 Riviera
    1962 Electra 225 4 door (FOR SALE)
    1957 Super Riviera Sedan

Adrian, I dont see why it would not work on a BBB,,, just be carefull of where you are cutting... I have not done one for a BBB,,,, and I dont think that the metal that the manifold is made of will make any difference....
    Doc "Widely unknown"

Adrian, I dont see why it would not work on a BBB,,, just be carefull of where you are cutting... I have not done one for a BBB,,,, and I dont think that the metal that the manifold is made of will make any difference....
    Sweet, great sticky Doc, I cant wait to see the difference it makes on my Electra
    Adrian Migotti
    1968 Riviera
    1962 Electra 225 4 door (FOR SALE)
    1957 Super Riviera Sedan

Doc,

I thought you favored the spreadbore intakes?
    Doug
    Atlanta, GA
    -1965 Riviera, Matching #s, Stock
    -1966 401 & SP Rebuild Project - On Hold......
    -1995 Centurion C-350 Four Door Bronco- Daily Driver
    -1961 Shasta 19' Deluxe Camper

Actually no,,, Doug, I favor the sq. bore type because my favorite carb is the old holley 3 barrels that were made in 1968 and 69 for nascar.... and that dictates a sq. bore configuration... which I modify to the DDP....and then I have to use a adapter to make the holley fit any way, so I make it like the base plate of the carb so the 3 brl. will work right , and it doubles as a heat shield too....but dont tell Tom,,, he gets all worked up over that.....
    Doc "Widely unknown"

Actually no,,, Doug, I favor the sq. bore type because my favorite carb is the old holley 3 barrels that were made in 1968 and 69 for nascar.... and that dictates a sq. bore configuration... which I modify to the DDP....and then I have to use a adapter to make the holley fit any way, so I make it like the base plate of the carb so the 3 brl. will work right , and it doubles as a heat shield too....but dont tell Tom,,, he gets all worked up over that.....
    I prefer the Holley carb as well just a 4150 is the only difference. Now drill and tap nitrous bosses in each individual runner and we're in business.
    JAKE HILDEBRANDT
    1963 buick lesabre 4dr ( on $$ hold)
    1968 chevy c10 turbo 383 sbc. 743 rwhp. No time slip yet

I would love to Jake, but I dont think the cast pistons would take it.....
    Doc "Widely unknown"

I would love to Jake, but I dont think the cast pistons would take it.....
    You doing a full rebuild or a polish rebuild? My nail has had em for a while. The sbc is getting them. It makes just over 500 Na and Im going to put the 300 shot tune to it
    JAKE HILDEBRANDT
    1963 buick lesabre 4dr ( on $$ hold)
    1968 chevy c10 turbo 383 sbc. 743 rwhp. No time slip yet

Actually I am going to do a ''overhaul'',,,, down south we call them a hand grenade motor.... you know , may fly apart at any time.... i dont want to bore the block,,, but I am going to put a set of pistons in it and all the rest.... most likely hypers.... it is just a engine for my everyday driver pick up truck.....
    Doc "Widely unknown"

DOC thanks for that info.Looks great.I think i am goin to make DDP to my spreadbore manifold wich i just purchased.

Great thread its goin to be.
    Kacper

Quote Originally Posted by TAANK View Post
    You doing a full rebuild or a polish rebuild? My nail has had em for a while. The sbc is getting them. It makes just over 500 Na and Im going to put the 300 shot tune to it

Jake why you say polish rebuild?Here in Poland when we rebuild engine, gearbox or anything we are goin full way ,no shortcuts.To be honest my Riv had its engine rebuild in USA at shop called Messa Mashine and i have to say one thing, i havent seen such a crappy job ever before.Just to say 3 types of lifters,missed timing gears by 1 tooth,5 shims on one of head bolts,ruined rockers etc.And on top of this there is $4k bill just for labor......

Sorry for off top.

Peace Kacper.
    Kacper

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast