Welcome to V8Buick.com.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Doc's dual plane mod and port matching stky

You got cool air coming in???? that is worth 8% of the total hp out put....It is really strange,,, cool air coming in at the air cleaner,,, and heat in the intake manifold to make the fuel flash into a vapor, makes the engine run best of all on the street.... a nailhead intake is what was called a ''divorced'' intake,,, that is the intake is not part of the engine block,,, it bolts to the heads only... so it runs real cool anyhow... 127 deg. on a fully warmed up engine... so it needs the heat to get mileage and throttle response.... I tried it without the heat and it ran like a 1 legged dog...
    Last edited by doc; 11-10-2011 at 09:24 PM. Reason: mo info
    Doc "Widely unknown"

I run with the hood off. that's worth .2 in the quarter. no doubt mph would go up with cold air and hood on though. hey can you pm me your number again. i lost it. my buddy acquired a 64 electra with nail head and might need some wisdom when i check it out.
    Lonnie
    Black 70 skylark post car (Tyler's old car)
    Yellow 72 suncoupe 350/350 8.5.
    72 chevelle with 462 buick 9-9.5-1 estimated cr stock not stage heads lunati 68001 cam 800 cfm qjet. hooker headers and spx intake. th-400. 100 shot
    8.5 3.73 posi
    3200 coan (sold)

1.78 60 ft 12.2 at 112 mph
    no traction

first engine i built by myself. gotta love the 3126 cat..pshht.

Has anyone done this on a spreadbore intake yet? Curious if it's something I'd like to attempt.....
    Stu
    65 Rivi

Yep,,,Stu,,,, take a look at Big Pig's post in Da nailhead section,,, Yesterday....
    even got pictures.....
    Doc "Widely unknown"

I have a quick question about the DDP!

Doc, you said that you ran your original AFB and noticed significant improvement.
    With the AFB, are you running your heatshield and a gasket?
    Neil
    http://www.v8buick.com/vbgarage.php?do=view&id=20898
    "Sometimes it's easier to ask, than to look it up."

1964 Buick Wildcat 2dr Hardtop
    1964 Buick LeSabre 2dr Hardtop
    1963 Buick Lesabre Convertible

Doc i know it's not strictly related to manifold but You said that those round dimples in intake(in heads) runners shouldn't be removed. I can understand that they control flow somehow but what about dimples in exhaust ports? Do they control flow?? For me they looks like some sort of leftovers from casting process? Maybe there was parafin sticks wich was connecting runners with shell in the mold? In intake runners some of those are merely visible and some are sharp. I am confused on this.

Peace Kacper
    Kacper

I hear ya. Kac,,,, I have removed the dimples on some manifolds and left them on some others.... I read in several articles that they were intentially put in by buick to create turbulence in the flow.... [like the valve slamming open and shut 9 zillion times a minute would not..] I could not tell the difference.....
    Doc "Widely unknown"

Yep i was thinking the same(urban myth), i am goin to remove them in head runners. Also i will be coating runners with ceramics wich prevent gas sticking to the runner walls.
    Kacper

Well, there is a ton of different ideas,,, but one that makes sense to me is that inside a port or runner a mirror finish is not good,,, a slightly rough finish, and I am talking slightly rough, allows the air stream to ''tear'' the gas vapors from the sides and get them into the air stream as a vapor so the mixture can burn.....at least that is what FoMoCo said....
    Doc "Widely unknown"

Wrapping up the DDP mod on my intake and was wondering what would happen if I removed a portion of the plenum divider. I was looking the Gessler's website and noticed he takes a section of the divider out - is this for better flow or clearence for the carburator butterflies? I also noticed he removes alot more material from the manfold; reshaping the opening. Also, I noticed some of the edelbrock manfolds (i.e. RPM air gap) have a lowered divider.

Does anyone think making a change to the divider will enhance performance or will I just be changing the RPM of the power band?

Thanks
    Doug
    Doug from Vermont
    1965 Riviera Project
    1974 Ford Bronco

ROA #12554

i dont cut the center divider at all... because the more you cut out the more it kills the torque at the lower end....but I am not saying dont do it... just be ready for the changes that it makes....
    Doc "Widely unknown"

Thanks Doc

I figured that was going to be the answer. I am not interested in removing as much material as Gessler, as I don't want give up a lot of low end torque. I was just thinking a slight drop in the divider, to pick up a little mid-range. Just seeing if anyone has gone this route and what their experiences have been.
    Doug from Vermont
    1965 Riviera Project
    1974 Ford Bronco

ROA #12554

Doug,, I think that 1 or 2 have done it.... but I have not heard any feedback on the results were.... all I know is that I have real good results with mine and I dont like to fix it if it aint broke....
    My ddp mods have all been on nailhead intakes and I have to have an adapter to put holley carbs on them anyway so I make the adapter work for the 3rd barrel in back.... the blade swings down enough that I have to have some clearance there but I make just enough for that and no more... does not affect it at all that I can tell....but by the time that happens the rpm's are up and I cant tell any difference....

---------- Post added at 04:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:29 AM ----------

Neil,,, sorry, guy ,,, I did not mean to ignore your question....
    Yes, I was using the heat shield and gasket with the carter carb.... I changed absolutely nothing in the original experiment... the only change was the ddp mod... every thing else stayed the same....
    In fact,,, with my holley carbs, I still use the heat shield, but I make it up myself out of 5/16 hot rolled plate that serves as both heat shield and adapter for my holley carbs... still got the exhaust heat in the manifold... cant do without that... gotta have it to make the cat pee gas flash into a burnable vapor....I make the heat shield/adapter opening just like the intake manifold except for when I put one on a 3 barrel set up and then I have to make a clearance notch in the back so the rear plate can swing open... but that is just enough to clear and no more....
    Doc "Widely unknown"

000_0006.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by KDML View Post
    Thanks Doc

I figured that was going to be the answer. I am not interested in removing as much material as Gessler, as I don't want give up a lot of low end torque. I was just thinking a slight drop in the divider, to pick up a little mid-range. Just seeing if anyone has gone this route and what their experiences have been.
    you wont hurt low end on a nailhead with the cam your running. sorry about the other photos cound not get them off
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Doc

My current plan is to use the 750 Demon carb the prior owner provided (because it is brand new in the box). I have not checked, but I expect I will need to use an adaptor as well. The prior owner had 2 adaptors in the box, one with 4 holes and one with an open center.

Joe, assuming that is your manifold - how much did you drop the divider - it's tough to tell from that picture

Thanks again
    Doug from Vermont
    1965 Riviera Project
    1974 Ford Bronco

ROA #12554

Thanks Doc

My current plan is to use the 750 Demon carb the prior owner provided (because it is brand new in the box). I have not checked, but I expect I will need to use an adaptor as well. The prior owner had 2 adaptors in the box, one with 4 holes and one with an open center.

Joe, assuming that is your manifold - how much did you drop the divider - it's tough to tell from that picture

Thanks again
    You will need an adapter to run the Demon. I'd either use the open one you have, or do the "doc dual plane" mod on the 4 hole. Running the open one would effectively accomplish the same thing as dropping the center divider.
    Andy

1962 Buick Invicta, 407 Nailhead,
    Nitrous, ST400 - Manual VB,
    V6 ST300 Converter, 3.23 Posi

Viking Performance Suspension,
    Front DA C/O Kit, Rear DA Shocks

Thanks Andy

After I entered my last post, I thought to myself whether the open center adaptor, effectively does the same thing as dropping the divider. At this point, I am not going to drop the divider as I really haven't settled on the carb. The demon seems like the right choice, because it is new and free. Unfortunately, it does not fit well with my plan to keep the engine looking stock and hiding all the performance parts on the inside. If I do switch to a carb which bolts right up to the manifold, I will most likely drop the divider. I have a long way to go before I need to finalize this decision
    Doug from Vermont
    1965 Riviera Project
    1974 Ford Bronco

ROA #12554

Thanks Doc

Thanks again
    thats the one am using now,about 3/4 of a inch cut. i just tried the 4 hole spacer the other day did not like it.

Thanks Joe

What didn't you like about the spacer?
    Doug from Vermont
    1965 Riviera Project
    1974 Ford Bronco

ROA #12554

Thanks Joe

What didn't you like about the spacer?
    when i took the 4 hole off and put the open one on it help mid and upper rpm with no loss of bottom end.

I just installed DDModded Q-jet intake on my Riv. It's like night and day at mid and high revs. Angine changed sound , now you can really hear those 8 cylinders.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Lucy Fair; 10-01-2012 at 10:59 AM.
    Kacper

Lucy Fair, doing the same set up on my 425, that linkage looks like the stock set up,did you bend it to fit. My carb is a q-jet 1972 BBB 800 cfm. And I ported the intake q-jet in the same manner, what type of cam are you running.

---------- Post added at 06:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:31 AM ----------

Also did you have to shave any fins on that valley pan with the q- jet manifold, I have the mooneyes valley.

Quote Originally Posted by snake View Post
    Lucy Fair, doing the same set up on my 425, that linkage looks like the stock set up,did you bend it to fit. My carb is a q-jet 1972 BBB 800 cfm. And I ported the intake q-jet in the same manner, what type of cam are you running.

---------- Post added at 06:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:31 AM ----------

Also did you have to shave any fins on that valley pan with the q- jet manifold, I have the mooneyes valley.
    It's all stock, linkage, carb etc. So no mods were needed.
    As for the valley pan i am using this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HOT-ROD-BUIC...&vxp=mtr#sp_cr

and if you look closer you can see that i had to touch 2 fins a little bit. Curently i am running Shneider 262h cam.

Peace Kacper.01102012204.jpg
    Kacper

Ported the Q-Jet manifold then had it ceramichromed, going to use the #7042240 Q-Jet from 1972 big block buick also port matched & hogged out the exauhst manifolds then had them coated also. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Wow,,,, lookin good,,,, i think that intake will flow more than a dual quad set up..... Is that powder coat stuff????
    wow.....
    Doc "Widely unknown"

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast