Welcome to V8Buick.com.

Default Fuel lines - Aluminum vs. Coated steel?

Been looking for options on my fuel lines for the hybrid and the aluminum lines came up as an option and wanted to see what the major difference is.

Besides the obvious(rust, strength, softness, etc.), any experiences with either?

I will be buying a coil and doing them all from scratch...
    Eric Brown - San Diego

1987 Buick GN (36K Stocker - 2nd owner)
    1966 Buick Skylark GS (#'s stocker - CA Blackies)
    1964 Buick Skylark GST (2 door coupe - 87 GN IC V6, 200R4 "BRF" Trans, Bucket seats...CA Blackies)

There are 10 types of people in this world....those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Default Re: Fuel lines - Aluminum vs. Coated steel?

Eric, from a long term durability standpoint, the coated low carbon steel tubing wins hands down. Yes it's more difficult to bend and harder to flare, but the long term benefits are worth the trouble, in my opinion.

If you go with aluminum tubing, it has to be supported for the entire distance from tank to engine (rubber insulated p-clips are best). Aluminum tubing hates abrasion and repeated flex and always loses the battle against hard parts like the steel frame and body parts.

Devon

PS: I was a fuel & brake systems engineer in my previous life, and plumbing those was my specialty, so there.

Quote Originally Posted by DaWildcat View Post
    PS: I was a fuel & brake systems engineer in my previous life, and plumbing those was my specialty, so there.
    Then that settles it! Just thought I would ask and let someone "in the know" guide me down the right path.

I'll pick up a 25' spool of 3/8 and go to town.

Thanks!
    Eric Brown - San Diego

1964 Buick Skylark GST (2 door coupe - 87 GN IC V6, 200R4 "BRF" Trans, Bucket seats...CA Blackies)

There are 10 types of people in this world....those that understand binary, and those that don't.

I woulda chosen stainless steel, but the coated steel would be my second choice. In addition to what Devon said, Aluminum and steel don't get along well together. He did mention rubber coated clamps, but at no point can the Aluminum touch the steel. I have the electroylisis issue with my pickup truck. GM cheaped on the wheel-opening mouldings and made them out of Aluminum instead of stainless. The aluminum is slowly dissolving and taking the LF fender with it. I am going to replace the fender, and at a later date see if I can find someone who can airbrush a moulding onto the fender.
    John Codman
    Formerly owned Buicks:
    '33,'48, '51, '52, '54, '55 (3), '56, '60 LeSabre 3 sp stick.
    264 powered '53 Mercury
    322 then 264 powered 55 Ford
    264 powered '56 Chevy
    Presently - 431 nailhead powered '82 C-10

Buy them prebent. If you get a roll it will never be straight.

www.classictube.com
    Jim Lore
    BPG 1037
    "If you cannot clear up the confusion at least make the confusion clear."

I have terrible luck with coated steel. The flaring tool clamps down on the tube and cuts through the coating. Then within a year the rust is eating out the line right at the fitting. I'd go with stainless or aluminum if the car is driven alot or is driven in rusty climates.

Quote Originally Posted by bammax View Post
    I have terrible luck with coated steel. The flaring tool clamps down on the tube and cuts through the coating. Then within a year the rust is eating out the line right at the fitting. I'd go with stainless or aluminum if the car is driven alot or is driven in rusty climates.
    She will be driven a LOT...

The good news is she will be garaged and only driven on dry days...here in San Diego, that's 355 days a year.

Eric Brown - San Diego

Go with the steel lines. Trust me, after 10+ years of doing this you'll be grateful that you did. Much stronger, and last longer than the aluminum lines. More forgiving as well if you make an error.
    Richard Herrmann

B.C.C. Total Performance
    550 Cesar E. Chavez
    Pontiac, MI 48342
    Welding & Fabrication, Autobody repair & paint, OE Repair & Aftermarket performance