Welcome to V8Buick.com.
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BillMah52
    Not a dead issue. These things take time.
    Both items are in the R&D stages right now. Hopefully we will see some results in the near future.

Wikkid awesome!
    It always pissed me off that my TA intake had such poor mixture distribution.
    I'm ready to go!
    Andrew

Fighting to be a Cancer SURVIVOR!

1972 Skylark Custom
    350-4 Doug Nash 5 Speed
    285/40/ZR17 Tires Centerline Wheels, it Handles!
    Too Many Mods to list.

Default Heads

May be a little late for my 2 cents, but I will defiantly take a set of heads here for sure!

Default Im in!

count me in for a set of heads i already have an aluminum intake by TA!
    Jason Walden :TU:
    1970 BUICK SKYLARK
    350-4 BORE .030 (355CI)
    TH-35O WITH SHIFT KIT/1800 STALL CONV.
    TA-ALUM. INTAKE. TA-HEADERS
    TA-110 CAM SET WITH HIGH COMPRESSION VALVE SPRINGS.
    DRILLED AND SLOTTED DISK BRAKE CONVERSION KIT. HOLLEY 750CFM.
    2 1/2 INCH TRUE DUAL FLOWMASTER.
    MSD 8.5 WIRES. MALLORY ELECT. DISTRIBUTOR. STOCK 8.2 REAR WITH 2.56s NON-POSI.
    HURST RATCHET SHIFTER.

so whats the status on the heads and intake???

We got time yall, be patient............. I have a feeling we will soon start seeing parts pop up for a small motors......
    Dave Burns
    Midwest Buick Mafia
    67', twin-turbo, 350" GS

Gee Dave,

Might that be the other secret that's just been fighting to get out of you? (or you've been fighting to keep in?)
    Adam

No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but billions of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Con
    Gee Dave,

Might that be the other secret that's just been fighting to get out of you? (or you've been fighting to keep in?)

Dave with a secret? Everybody knows he's not even in the loop of what's going on in the Buick community. Right Dave? Hee hee hee.Jim Burek

TXGS is offline The United State of Texas

Yeah! Dave don't know nothing
    Phil Green
    72 GS350 449hp 447tq , 390 gears, and 200 4r
    1981 RX7 with 5.3L LS (Project)

You TexArKansans sure know how to jerk a guy's chain....

Dave, you know it's going to give you an ulcer if you don't let it out soon...or maybe constipation
    Adam

No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but billions of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

waiting for an update....

Marvin Manzano
    1965 Buick Skylark-SOLD!
    1970 Skylark V8-350 - SOLD!
    1965 sportwagon - 455 with a 350trans

Default TA Performance 350 Heads

Anybody notice that TA Performance noe sells reconditioned and polished (Magnafluxed, etc.) 350 heads? Core deposit required.

Not aluminium, but definitely a step in the right direction!
    Byron Badeaux

'69 Galaxie Ragtop
    '95 Lincoln Mark VIII
    '03 Nissan Murano AWD

didn't notice but complete ported heads were in my first Poston catalog I got back in 1987.
    Andy, 1970 Skylark Custom

Support your country
    Support your neighbors
    Support yourself
    Buy American

Default add me to the list

Add me to the intake and head list. I'm sure it won't be soon, but whenever.

Ryan

This thread has been a sticky for more than two years now. Two and a half for the "list" thread. Any real word on a designer or vendor? I know these things take some development time, but there have been three aftermarket heads developed, designed, and cast for the Ford small I6 (144, 170, 200, 250) since this thread started. Two in aluminum, one in iron.
    I think the customer base for the 350 buick is just a -little- bit bigger, but it's the same situation. A motor with no aftermarket support that is usually tossed in favor of a larger motor.
    Is there a pattern yet?
    Rick

Default #'s??

What are the #'s?? and what kind of hp gain would be expected over the factory heads?

Any ideas on how much weight will be dropped?

Default 350 after market heads cast or aluminum

I'm building a 350 buick for a customer in the spring and I would like to know IS someone going to build after market heads,cast or aluminum for these.If so who.Thank you.........Chris
    70 stage1 clone 464 iron STG1 heads, 4.11 gears 10 10.17@129.8
    72 GS LS gone BBB going back in! Went 9.93 with BBB power
    GSX clone 462 9.3:1, STG2se 3.73, 11.0s 439.39 RWHP/437.99 TQ
    69 2dr Wildcat red, with white int and a full load.
    Without data, you're just another guy with an opinion.

What are the #'s?? and what kind of hp gain would be expected over the factory heads?
    Any ideas on how much weight will be dropped?
    If you're talking about the ford 144-170-200-250 I6 heads, two heads are based on the argentina 221sp head. The iron version is a straight 221sp repop, the aluminum version is based on the 221sp as well but with runner mods. 221 cid engines with these argie heads have produced 300+ rwhp. Not a bad increase over the 70-75 from a bone stock US 200. The stock iron I6 head weighs about 75lbs (intake is cast integral to the heads). The aftermarket aluminum head weighs about 27lbs. $1500 intake and exhaust included.
    The third head is cast in aluminum and loosely based on the australian 250-2v head. It was designed with the intent of using available 250-2v performance intake manifolds and headers. The 250-2v head and headers on a US 200 is good for a 100% (or more) increase in rwhp. John Kasse is rumored to have done the port designs on the new head. No small project compared to an inline ford v8 head. Six intake ports, each one different, six exhaust ports, also individually different, on the I6 head. A ford inline V8 head is one port replicated four times for exhaust and four for the intake. $1500 intake included. All three heads have triple weber intakes available as well.
    A fourth aftermarket ford small I6 head is in development form Clifford performance, and a fifth is in development from FSPP. These two heads are supposed to be clean sheet efi crossflow designs that fit on the stock US 200/250 blocks.
    So three aftermarket heads cast, and two in development for an engine that NOBODY wants. Although it does have seven main bearings...
    A buick 350 head in aluminum would be childs play compared to a ford I6 head, it's already a good design. There really wouldn't be ANY serious development needed. Basing the head on the original molds with reshaped core molds for the ports and water jacket would be all that is required. The head was designed at the hieght of the horsepower wars of the late 60's, and buick alway had the best engineers at GM. If I was doing it, I'd have a top buick head porter work over a set of heads for maximum flow and velocity, with no worries if he hits water, just have him epoxy it up and keep going.
    Pull some port castings out of them for new port core molds, and adjust the water jacket core mold as needed. Viola.
    Rick(wrench)

I wish it was that easy!!!
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by rickwrench
    If you're talking about the ford 144-170-200-250 I6 heads, two heads are based on the argentina 221sp head. The iron version is a straight 221sp repop, the aluminum version is based on the 221sp as well but with runner mods. 221 cid engines with these argie heads have produced 300+ rwhp. Not a bad increase over the 70-75 from a bone stock US 200. The stock iron I6 head weighs about 75lbs (intake is cast integral to the heads). The aftermarket aluminum head weighs about 27lbs. $1500 intake and exhaust included.
    The third head is cast in aluminum and loosely based on the australian 250-2v head. It was designed with the intent of using available 250-2v performance intake manifolds and headers. The 250-2v head and headers on a US 200 is good for a 100% (or more) increase in rwhp. John Kasse is rumored to have done the port designs on the new head. No small project compared to an inline ford v8 head. Six intake ports, each one different, six exhaust ports, also individually different, on the I6 head. A ford inline V8 head is one port replicated four times for exhaust and four for the intake. $1500 intake included. All three heads have triple weber intakes available as well.
    A fourth aftermarket ford small I6 head is in development form Clifford performance, and a fifth is in development from FSPP. These two heads are supposed to be clean sheet efi crossflow designs that fit on the stock US 200/250 blocks.
    So three aftermarket heads cast, and two in development for an engine that NOBODY wants. Although it does have seven main bearings...
    A buick 350 head in aluminum would be childs play compared to a ford I6 head, it's already a good design. There really wouldn't be ANY serious development needed. Basing the head on the original molds with reshaped core molds for the ports and water jacket would be all that is required. The head was designed at the hieght of the horsepower wars of the late 60's, and buick alway had the best engineers at GM. If I was doing it, I'd have a top buick head porter work over a set of heads for maximum flow and velocity, with no worries if he hits water, just have him epoxy it up and keep going.
    Pull some port castings out of them for new port core molds, and adjust the water jacket core mold as needed. Viola.
    Rick(wrench)

If we were to do that, then we'd have to buy the heads, THEN have them ported extensively. That's not the best approach. These heads should flow well right out of the box. Sure Buick had great engineers. The design was for a passenger car head with good overall throttle response, etc. The original heads were designed for 2bbl Skylarks, Big LeSabres, and 4bbl GSs. They are not anywhere close to a racing design.

My $.02
    Andrew

Fighting to be a Cancer SURVIVOR!

1972 Skylark Custom
    350-4 Doug Nash 5 Speed
    285/40/ZR17 Tires Centerline Wheels, it Handles!
    Too Many Mods to list.

Is there a good Buick V6 desigh that would be close to copy from? Do they
    flow good numbers? Might be a good place to start.
    Dan

have a top buick head porter work over a set of heads for maximum flow and velocity, with no worries if he hits water, just have him epoxy it up and keep going.
    Pull some port castings out of them for new port core molds
    If we were to do that, then we'd have to buy the heads, THEN have them ported
    Have the heads you are pulling port core molds from ported BEFORE you pull the molds. Use the best head available for a master. Then your core is a copy of the ported port.
    Well, minus 2% for aluminum shrinkage... So the whole idea is moot. I forgot about shrinkage.
    OK, start with a fresh block of wood...
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by stk3171
    Is there a good Buick V6 desigh that would be close to copy from? Do they
    flow good numbers? Might be a good place to start.
    Dan
    TA has the original Stage 2 V-6 head molds...intake ports are very similar to the 350, but the exhausts are way different. Of course then you would have the makings of a DART stage 2 head for a chevy. The prototype was adapted for a Chevy by welding stage 2 Buick V-6 heads together and then adapting the head bolt pattern.

HM, maybe that is the place to start. Maybe Dart is adapting their head to bolt on the 350 Buick block.
    Adam

Default SBB heads and Aliens, more in common than you'd think

IF theres a major, or even not so major, manufacturer out there that plans to market aluminum heads for the SBB, why do they keep it a secret? So we spend our money porting iron heads and then can't afford their stuff? So we swap out the SBB for something you can get nice heads for? I'm planning on building an engine next year for my car. I'll buy SBB aluminum heads if they're out there. If not I'll be out of the market for a while. I'm not building engines for my car every year. If I knew they were coming and when, I might wait. This secrecy is BS It's not helping anyone. The longer they(mythical aluminum head seller) wait, the fewer they'll sell. If a decision was made to do the heads and they're in R&D, why not make it public knowledge. GS350's might even get a little more popular. This situation is starting to remind me of UFOs. It was interesting at first. There was a little evidence, some good, some bad, some hoaxes. After a while I grew tired of the same old stories. Now I won't listen to the crap. When someone has a little green(or whatever color) person, dead or alive, or something really conclusive I'll listen.

So, does anyone have an explanation for the secrecy? I have one. There are no heads coming anytime soon because no one has the balls to take the supposed risk. Is there a clear glass tank at area 51 with dead aliens floating around in formadahyde? The truth is out there.
    Andy, 1970 Skylark Custom

Support your country
    Support your neighbors
    Support yourself
    Buy American

Quote Originally Posted by TuBBeD
    HERE ARE A LIST OF PEOPLE WHO WOULD BE INTERESTED IN ALUMINUM HEADS OR A SINGLE-PLANE INTAKE:

1. TuBBeD- Rob Margel (Intake)
    2. RED GS 1- Ken Voss (Intake)
    3. BillMah52- Bill M. (Intake & Alum. Heads)
    4. StrokedBuick- DJ H. (Intake & Alum. Heads)
    5. bignastytoyota- Pat Harmon (Intake & Possibly Alum. Heads)
    6. DEADMANSCURVE- Del Emerson (Intake)
    7. chris72gs- (Intake & Alum. Heads)
    8. dpcp66- Doug (Intake & Alum. Heads)
    9. David V- David (Intake & Alum. Heads)
    10. Buick_350X- Matt (Intake & Alum. Heads)
    11. sbbuick- Andrew (Intake & Alum. Heads)
    12. WrongwayGS- Chris Taubitz (Intake & Alum. Heads)
    13. mrgransport- Steve Gray (Intake & Alum. Heads)
    14. alec296- Andy (Intake)
    15. George W. Bush- (Intake & Alum. Heads)
    16. Phaxtris- Ryan L. (Alum. Heads)
    17. Clint Drabek- (Alum. Heads)
    18. Greg- (Alum. Heads)
    19. CelticWarrior70- Tim (Intake & Alum. Heads)
    20. buickjim- Jim (Intake & Alum. Heads)
    21. 69GSCAL- Aubrey Anthony (Alum. Heads)
    22. TXGS- Phil Green (Intake)
    23. pooods- John Ayers (Intake & Possibly Alum. Heads)
    24. LDPosse- Scott Marencic (Intake & Alum. Heads)
    25. rickwrench- Rick (Alum. Heads)
    26. galaxie69- Byron Badeaux (Alum. Heads)
    26. gsjohnny- John (Intake & Alum. Heads)
    27. arrone- Christine (Intake & Alum. Heads)
    28. frank- Frank (Alum. Heads)
    29. Tim- Tim (Intake)
    30. gunnracing- (Intake)
    31. Mart- (Alum. Heads).
    Last edited by Mart; 05-05-2007 at 08:24 PM.
    Roller cam vid....
    https://youtu.be/XOOTINTA1DA
    Another vid, this May.....
    https://youtu.be/0v0TgH4cTPc

71 GS 350, 2004r, JW 3,200 stall, TRW Forged .030, Ported T/A intake, 830HP Holley , Hooker supers, 2-1/2" Amer.Thunder thru N25's, 410 posi, F41, Full MSD ign. T/A Roller Cam,1.6 roller rockers, big valves, bronze guides,& fully ported heads. Fun street car. Platnum mist with blk. top and interior. Owned it since '76.

Marty.

Quote Originally Posted by 70aqua_custom
    IF theres a major, or even not so major, manufacturer out there that plans to market aluminum heads for the SBB, why do they keep it a secret? So we spend our money porting iron heads and then can't afford their stuff? So we swap out the SBB for something you can get nice heads for? I'm planning on building an engine next year for my car. I'll buy SBB aluminum heads if they're out there. If not I'll be out of the market for a while. I'm not building engines for my car every year. If I knew they were coming and when, I might wait. This secrecy is BS It's not helping anyone. The longer they(mythical aluminum head seller) wait, the fewer they'll sell. If a decision was made to do the heads and they're in R&D, why not make it public knowledge. GS350's might even get a little more popular. This situation is starting to remind me of UFOs. It was interesting at first. There was a little evidence, some good, some bad, some hoaxes. After a while I grew tired of the same old stories. Now I won't listen to the crap. When someone has a little green(or whatever color) person, dead or alive, or something really conclusive I'll listen.

So, does anyone have an explanation for the secrecy? I have one. There are no heads coming anytime soon because no one has the balls to take the supposed risk. Is there a clear glass tank at area 51 with dead aliens floating around in formadahyde? The truth is out there.

Easy, it's probably a job they are doing in their spare time as it is not large enough to make a primary priority. So they don't want people calling and asking "are they done yet?" every 3 days.

Or they don't want armchair head builders calling every day with advice on how it should be done.
    Adam

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast