Welcome to V8Buick.com.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Default Re: 1970 GS 455 Chassis Details

I have a couple of questions as my project moves along:

1. The dash bezel and Sonomatic radio that came out of the car does not have woodgrain but is original. Was this an option or part of my trim code?

2. I can't seem to find a battery cable harness bracket that goes under the passenger side exhaust manifold. Any help here would be great.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Woodgrain was an option, yours is black as it should be.
    Korrie

"Mayor of Swaggerville"...where women faint at the sight of rippling biceps.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'69 Special Deluxe Wagon
    '70 GS Stage1
    '72 GS Stage2

Those Battery tin metal covers are not hard to find. Just post on Parts Wanted. Those Black Dash Bezel decals are hard to find. At least for me. I have a friend who owns very successful Decal/vinyl store. I am just gonna buy a set on ebay. (Woodgrain) And just have my guy make them out of black Vinyl. my cars A/C. then I'll have him duplicate all the letters. I like the black look better than that ugly Woodgrain that was a bad idea. If I get them done soon I'll post it on the forum. And sell a couple to you guys what it cost. no additional $$

Or is that dash just painted? I will have to look at my dash? I know the air condition controls need to be covered in vinyl

Quote Originally Posted by scubasteve455 View Post
    Or is that dash just painted? I will have to look at my dash? I know the air condition controls need to be covered in vinyl
    No black vinyl. Although I'm curious why my one owner GS with base no option interior has woodgrain. Aren't those black reserved for skylark ?

Justen ,I should have a restored battery cable tray in stock. let me know.

DL
    Wouldn't you really rather have a Buick ?

I have a battery cable tray coming from Fred. My bezel doesnt have any vinyl- its all paint. i am going to get it rechromed, but want to keep the same lettering after it gets masked and painted black. there was one guy i found online who claims he has the black stickers. Only had his email for contact info. still waiting for a response..

starting to get down to the nitty gritty details. we'll be installng glass within a week and the interior should be done soon there after. has anyone put together a kit for detailing these things (i.e. tabs, stickers, daubs, tags)? I thought i ordered one from Duane a year or two ago along with hood foam but never received anything...

Quote Originally Posted by waltonj View Post
    I have a battery cable tray coming from Fred. My bezel doesnt have any vinyl- its all paint. i am going to get it rechromed, but want to keep the same lettering after it gets masked and painted black. there was one guy i found online who claims he has the black stickers. Only had his email for contact info. still waiting for a response..

starting to get down to the nitty gritty details. we'll be installng glass within a week and the interior should be done soon there after. has anyone put together a kit for detailing these things (i.e. tabs, stickers, daubs, tags)? I thought i ordered one from Duane a year or two ago along with hood foam but never received anything...

Greg Setter used to make both the black and woodgrain decals for the dash and radio bezels.

My original 1970 dash bezel is smooth black, while the one currently in the car is a pebble grain black, FWIW.
    Paul Massicotte
    MASSHOLE
    1966 Buick GS Post Coupe
    1970 Buick Skylark 470 4 speed- 11.44 @ 122 MPH

Waltonj I think we all have been waiting! That's why I'm getting them made. I think I'm gonna paint my Dash / Then get Woodgrain decals Copied in black vinyl because of the letters in "white"

I think you needed to have the custom interior to get the wood grain but not sure. I am sure mistakes were made.
    Dave, Seeing Yellow
    71 GS Stage-1 Now Sold.

Now have real 70 GSX 4 Speed QQ

I thought I read on a thread that the a Skylark Custom came with black dash/ Black vinyl . The GS models did not.

I have seen plenty of Customs with wood grain
    Dave, Seeing Yellow
    71 GS Stage-1 Now Sold.

I thought that the GS got the woodgrain dash standard . I thought the Skylark got the black dash and the Skylark custom got the woodgrain . If a GS did not get get the woodgrain what option would it need to get the woodgrain ?

Pat Sweeney
    70 GS Stage 2 IRON HEAD Kennedy-Bell COYOTE

70 GS 455 bamboo sold
    70 GSX QQ Stage 1 auto sold
    71 GSX Stage 1 4sp cortez sold
    70 GSX QQ Stage 1 auto sold
    72 GS Stage 1 sold
    72 GS 455 red sold
    70 GS 350 4 sp green sold
    70 GS 350 gold sold
    70 GS 455 green sold
    70 GS 455 convt green sold
    70 GS 455 silver sold
    67 GS 400 convt 3sp sold
    and a few Skylarks..................

Quote Originally Posted by STAGE2PAT View Post
    I thought that the GS got the woodgrain dash standard . I thought the Skylark got the black dash and the Skylark custom got the woodgrain . If a GS did not get get the woodgrain what option would it need to get the woodgrain ?
    There's not an option on the GS order form . You're correct Pat . Otherwise my Base no option GS interior would not have had wood .

DL
    Wouldn't you really rather have a Buick ?

Correct hood foams? I bought 1 from OPG and 1 from YearOne, and they are different.. Thoughts?

http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.ph...-Cleaner-seals

Brian can probably hook you up with the right ones. Send him a PM.
    Kevin

1971 Buick GS 350

Does anyone have a picture of how the hood insulation should look? I've seen cars with the insulation around the hood scoops, and ive seen some without.

There is absolutely NO insulation where the scoops are. If you put it there it will get wet in the rain and fall on your engine. The insulation for a GS is just the 3 back pieces, grey showing and yellow inside. Nobody makes the right insulation now, but there are some that are close.
    Frank St.Elmo

BCA #45862
    OCA #035382
    1967 Buick GS400 2012 BCA Senior Preservation Award
    1969 Oldsmobile 442 OCA Sr. Preservation car
    1970 Buick GS455 Triple Black Convertible
    1999 Mustang Convertible
    1967 Buick Skylark

You will lose points in concourse judging if you put in the pieces at the scoops as well. It also looks damn stupid like you did not do any research.
    Dave, Seeing Yellow
    71 GS Stage-1 Now Sold.

Re-opening the black vs. woodgrain issue. I had a '70 GS 350 (in about 1985) that I'm pretty sure was original. It was a black bucket custom interior, but no woodgrain.
    The actual plastic bezel is molded with a pebble finish, with flat spots where the lettering goes. On the car in question there were small decals that said "LIGHTS", "WIPER," etc. NOT a piece of vinyl covering the whole area, like the woodgrain, but in black. The pebble finish of the plastic dash was painted black and visible. I suspect it was supposed to be some version of black (paint? vinyl?) for base interior, and woodgrain for custom interior, but there definitely seem to be a good number of exceptions...

Nick, wood grain units I have peeled the wood grain off have looked exactly as you described underneath. Black pebble grain with decal wording. I am sure assembly line workers made mistakes installing correct units sometimes.
    Dave, Seeing Yellow
    71 GS Stage-1 Now Sold.

Justen,

Just found this thread and realized you're from WI. How's the restoration coming ?
    Todd Miller / DiecastMusclecars.com
    GSCA #1969
    Eau Claire, WI

Current Project:
    1970 Stage 1
    Frame off Restoration starting in 2017
    11 Second ET's with Factory Parts
    No "Race" Parts needed - Stay Tuned!

Restoration documented on my "DiecastMusclecars.com" Website / Click on the Buick Page

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345