Welcome to V8Buick.com.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Kinda slow in da nailhead section lately

If your talking about my nailhead look at the thread "couldnt go to yardleys so". Have some info and pictures. just a big carb,big cubes, TT rockers, comp cam, headers basicly. Also I have better gears in it now.went from a 4 speed manual to 4 speed auto still getting used to that. If you are talking about Pauls turbo engine its not back together yet.
    Bob-St Louis MO.

Quote Originally Posted by EEE View Post
    Seemed very healthy, could we get some specs on that setup?

I took the Wildcat out for a spin on Friday..
    Mine is a .030 over 401 that was line bored,decked,heads have new guides, seats, springs,keepers,machined .010. new ross forged pistons, file fit rings, arp rod bolt, arp main studs, arp head studs, stock forged rods recondition, stock forged crank cut .020, Intercooler and Garret t67 turbo 7psi but will be hitting it up to 12psi. Tial 44mm blow off valve, tial wastegate, stainless steel custom turbo headers with t4 flange, CSU holley 750hp carb with ev carb hat, msd ignition 6BTM box, MSD distributor,Serpintine belt conversion using a 3.8gn crank pulley and custom brackets. I run a areomotive a1000 fuel pump with -10an feed and return lines. i am hoping to have the car completed in time for my july wedding. It will be close but all i can do is keep plucking away at it.

Paul
    i do have some current pictures from the other night, i just have to load them from my ipad. I was having some issues being it is my first time with a ipad.

Talking Re: Kinda slow in da nailhead section lately

Was talking to the machine shop today and they had to go .040 over because their was not a quality ring available at .030 over. He said we will be using a chrysler ring. Pistons should be in this week so bottom end will be assembled within the next two weeks?
    Paul
    66 lark gs turbo nailhead

Quote Originally Posted by 66larkgs View Post
    Was talking to the machine shop today and they had to go .040 over because their was not a quality ring available at .030 over. He said we will be using a chrysler ring. Pistons should be in this week so bottom end will be assembled within the next two weeks?
    Paul
    66 lark gs turbo nailhead
    Why can't you use a 455 Buick ring? the 401 shares the bore diameter with the 430 and the 425 shares the bore diametet with the 455. Rock Auto show 0.030 over rings for both the 425 and the 455 and both are the same part number.

Ed

425 455 bore is 4.3125" std.

430 401 bore is 4.1875 + .040 =4.227 "different size"

Both take 5/64 and 3/16 ring pacs

Your ring pac is probably 1/16 1/16 3/16

W

Quote Originally Posted by CameoInvicta View Post
    Very cool!

I'll have a vid to post up within the next few weeks once I get my cam in and everything back together. She'll be a Thumpr!
    Andy, did you get your engine back together? what r u using for vavle springs. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gsgtx View Post
    Andy, did you get your engine back together? what r u using for vavle springs. thanks
    I'm planning on getting the cam in over the weekend, we'll see if that actually happens. Finally got all the parts together. Not 100% sure on the springs - the motor was rebuilt about 10 years ago, and some springs a little stiffer than stock were used. I figure they should be alright, since they were used with a stock grind and don't have many miles on them. As long as I keep the rev's down everything should be kosher. Ideally I'd do the heads (springs & porting) at the same time but I don't have the time or money, so that'll just have to wait.

Should sound a little something like this...

http://youtu.be/xbVnwv6mlHU
    Last edited by CameoInvicta; 04-05-2012 at 01:56 PM.
    Andy

1962 Buick Invicta, 407 Nailhead,
    Nitrous, ST400 manual VB trans,
    V6 ST300 Converter, 3.23 Posi

I'm planning on getting the cam in over the weekend, we'll see if that actually happens. Finally got all the parts together. Not 100% sure on the springs - the motor was rebuilt about 10 years ago, and some springs a litter stiffer than stock were used. I figure they should be alright, since they were used with a stock grind and don't have many miles on them. As long as I keep the rev's down everything should be kosher. Ideally I'd do the heads (springs & porting) at the same time but I don't have the time or money, so that'll just have to wait.

Should sound a little something like this...

http://youtu.be/xbVnwv6mlHU
    let us know when you do. is it the 227-241 cam

let us know when you do. is it the 227-241 cam
    Yep, the Comp Cams Thumpr. 227*/241* @.050, 107* lobe separation, 102* intake centerline. Valve lift is fairly mild especially with stock rockers. It'll be installed straight up. I've talked with two Nailhead guys running it in an otherwise stock motor and both are pretty happy. Should net about 30 peak horsepower over stock, with a significant average power increase from 3500-5000. Torque shouldn't suffer much either. I was contemplating having a cam custom ground, but the Thumpr was close to the specs I wanted (aside from the 107* LSA, I would have gone with 108* or 110*). Plus I got the cam and lifters for the cost of a custom grind so I can't complain, plus no wait time.

It may not be the best choice for my application, but it should perform damn good, and I'm sure a big 4 door Buick thumpin' like that will get folks staring!
    Andy

Yep, the Comp Cams Thumpr. 227*/241* @.050, 107* lobe separation, 102* intake centerline. Valve lift is fairly mild especially with stock rockers. It'll be installed straight up. I've talked with two Nailhead guys running it in an otherwise stock motor and both are pretty happy. Should net about 30 peak horsepower over stock, with a significant average power increase from 3500-5000. Torque shouldn't suffer much either. I was contemplating having a cam custom ground, but the Thumpr was close to the specs I wanted (aside from the 107* LSA, I would have gone with 108* or 110*). Plus I got the cam and lifters for the cost of a custom grind so I can't complain, plus no wait time.

It may not be the best choice for my application, but it should perform damn good, and I'm sure a big 4 door Buick thumpin' like that will get folks staring!
    sounds great. keep us posted.

how much lift can stock heads handle before the keepers hit the guides. Ross flycut valve reliefs for over .600 lift in my new pistons. What should i watch out for? need a set of roller rockers. i ran a .630 , .630 in my 406ci and loved the cam but hatted the fact i had to run a vac canister.
    Paul

For those that like pics, here are a few in progress shots. Should hopefully finish getting it torn down tomorrow, and get everything buttoned back up.

Andy

I have been wondering how the thumper would act in a nailhead. So far we have only seen idleing videos. Andy do you remember what your desk dyno told you the thumper would do?
    Bob-St Louis MO.

how much lift can stock heads handle before the keepers hit the guides. Ross flycut valve reliefs for over .600 lift in my new pistons.
    Paul
    Yep, the Comp Cams Thumpr. 227*/241* @.050, 107* lobe separation, 102* intake centerline. Valve lift is fairly mild especially with stock rockers.
    Paul, going from memory, I believe it was around 0.480" lift limit on the stock valve guides. I know I have it in my notes, but I gotta find it! Tom T posted the info somewhere too.

Andy, will that cam fit? v-p clearance is gonna be real tight with 107 deg lobe separation....if it fits at all.
    Also, Comp is using a 1.5 rocker ratio to determine valve lift. I was getting a 1.6 ratio with my stock '66 rockers. A 1.6 ratio is gonna give you 0.510"/0.496" lift, not the 0.478"/465" they advertise.
    Specs here:
    http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/c...csid=1515&sb=2
    I hope it works for you, but it looks like trouble to me. Good luck!
    Walt K
    (1)'66 GS Astro Blue, 13.41 et (2)'66 GS Saddle Mist, L76 Q-jet option, 1 of 132 (3)'66 GS Flame Red, Calif car (4)'66 GS Silver Mist, 4 speed (5)'66 Special, Flame Red, 300 (6)'79 Turbo Regal, 14.1 et (7)'65 GS 4 speed 'vert

Quote Originally Posted by 66gsconv View Post
    I have been wondering how the thumper would act in a nailhead. So far we have only seen idleing videos. Andy do you remember what your desk dyno told you the thumper would do?
    I'd have to double check on the exact figures, it's been a while since I've played with the program.

Quote Originally Posted by wkillgs View Post
    Paul, going from memory, I believe it was around 0.480" lift limit on the stock valve guides. I know I have it in my notes, but I gotta find it! Tom T posted the info somewhere too.

Andy, will that cam fit? v-p clearance is gonna be real tight with 107 deg lobe separation....if it fits at all.
    Also, Comp is using a 1.5 rocker ratio to determine valve lift. I was getting a 1.6 ratio with my stock '66 rockers. A 1.6 ratio is gonna give you 0.510"/0.496" lift, not the 0.478"/465" they advertise.
    Specs here:
    http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/c...csid=1515&sb=2
    I hope it works for you, but it looks like trouble to me. Good luck!
    Walt, that's what I originally thought too. But I know two people running the cam in a stock motor without any issues, and I know of someone on the board that ran TA's 413 cam in a stock motor as well with no v-p clearance issues. Also, I remember reading somewhere that the factory rocker design actually wasn't truly a 1.6 ratio, but was really closer to a 1.4 ratio. Either way I don't expect to encounter any issues, so hopefully all goes according to plan!
    Last edited by CameoInvicta; 04-07-2012 at 08:34 AM.
    Andy

Andy, i think you said you had the heads off before, if a thick head gasket is on there now theres another .022 more clearance for you. the pistons are about .050-.055 in the hole stock too.

Andy, i think you said you had the heads off before, if a thick head gasket is on there now theres another .022 more clearance for you. the pistons are about .050-.055 in the hole stock too.
    Another good point - yes I am running thicker Fel Pro style gaskets, not the factory steel shim ones.
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by 66gsconv View Post
    Andy do you remember what your desk dyno told you the thumper would do?
    I did a few sims on Dyno 2003....
    The Thumper is optimized for higher rpm, much like the TA 413-401 and the Isky 310 I have in my blue car. You'll give up some low-rpm power over a stock or mild cam, , but above 4000 rpm it's gonna make some significant gains!

Comparing the 3, the TA is the clear winner making more power through out the range. The Thumper and Isky are similar from 4000-up, but the Thumper produces more low-end.

Gotta say these sims aren't likely to be extremely accurate since they only use basic cam specs. It's likely Comp Cams tweaked their profiles to perform better than these sims show.
    Walt K
    (1)'66 GS Astro Blue, 13.41 et (2)'66 GS Saddle Mist, L76 Q-jet option, 1 of 132 (3)'66 GS Flame Red, Calif car (4)'66 GS Silver Mist, 4 speed (5)'66 Special, Flame Red, 300 (6)'79 Turbo Regal, 14.1 et (7)'65 GS 4 speed 'vert

Should have everything buttoned up and broken in tomorrow, easter festivities got in the way today. First test drive will be on Monday. Can't wait!
    Andy

Bob- The GS sounds great!!! I'll be getting the heads out to you this week.
    Anthony " Tony Yac" Yacopino
    BPG NE GS-GN

1964 Riviera - Sold
    1966 Skylark 425 Nailhead, 4 speed, 3.73 posi. 2 miles of welding wire used thus far ;o)
    1968 GMC C25 307 2bbl. Sold
    1970 Skylark 350, 4 speed, 3.73 rear. Pro Touring- Stock Appearing. Project Jessica Rabbit. . . Traded

Should have everything buttoned up and broken in tomorrow, easter festivities got in the way today. First test drive will be on Monday. Can't wait!
    How's it running?

How's it running?
    Pretty good! Check out this thread; http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.ph...Thumpr-Install .

Break in seemed to go good. Have to deal with a coolant leak (water manifold o-ring) before any actual driving can happen, but it seems to run really good. Cant wait to get it on the road!
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by 66electrafied View Post
    Must be nice to still have an interest; - been steadily losing mine...for the first time in my life I can actually see a future without an old Buick, and it's got all to do with the running costs and the fact that most spare parts available are pretty shoddy and never quite work as the originals did. I guess I'm getting tired of constantly fixing crap and never really getting done. Add to this the fact that gas for my pig of a convertible is well over $5.00 now and expected to climb higher once the "summer driving season" kicks in and the oil companies manufacture another "shortage" or come up with some other flimsy excuse to drive the prices up, means that I'm pretty much done.

Anybody want to buy a convertible?
    Marc, I live 15 min away and I get 40% off at NAPA so I ca help you get your stuff sorted out. If I where to buy your car I would have to sell a few trucks as I have 14 vehicles in my barn right now. Unfortunately I would have to swap to a Buick 350 as I have 23 spares here. Then add twin turbos and the convert would get some good MPG at about 150 MPH. I figure 16 MPG at 150 MPH is better that 95% of the cars on the road,. I do not have time for waiting behind the 4 cyl cars that take 5 min to get from 0 to 50..... You have my number, text or call if you need anything.. Sean
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    My book called Small Block Buick Performance covering the V6, 215, 300, 340, and Buick 350 engines will be released soon.

http://www.v8buick.com/forumdisplay....rformance-Book
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________________________
    1970 Buick Skylark 350 street/strip with 6 point cage: Custom tube headers feed Twin T3/T4 Turbochargers, Holley 650, sheet metal single plane intake, heavily ported iron heads with oversized valves, mild Poston 114 camshaft (2800-6000 RPM), Diamond forged pistons on Hershe forged rods, balanced, ARP everywhere, dual 3" exhaust, Paddle shifted 4L80E 4 speed overdrive, Moser 12 bolt with 3.42 gear.

Well its that time of the year again, not much going on. Kinda slow around here. My car is put away for the winter. Hope to have a couple of new changes this spring. Anyone got any videos or pictures they want to share?
    Bob-St Louis MO.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast