Welcome to V8Buick.com.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Does anyone watch 'Counting Cars'?

I think the show is awful.

The Count should have stuck with being the expert on "Pawn Stars"
    David H

1971 GS S1 Project
    1970 GS 350
    1973 Apollo

I'll be scraping windows again! argh.

Default Re: Does anyone watch 'Counting Cars'?

I agree, another useless unreality show. That guy's going to get his head blown off if he starts hassling the wrong guy.Although it then it might be worth watching.
    Pete Hovey

67 GS400 Post
    66 Special Post Parts Car
    87 Yamaha Venture 1300
    83 CB650
    02 F150 XLT
    98 Explorer XLT

I liked the American Restoration spinoff, but the Counting Cars one is just annoying. Plus they really don't bother teaching about cars like you would expect. I'm still waiting for the spinoff for Mark from the train museum. I bet that would be a very educational show.
    "To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan, and not quite enough time."
    --Leonard Bernstein

NW Florida, originally from Southern Wisconsin

As much as I like everything to do with cars, I can't stand that guy and just can't get myself to watch that show.
    Bill

I watched one show. the guy is a moron. He doesn't know jack about cars. he just looks at the pretty ones. the same type of shows, buy a car fix it and sell it. restore a car is 48 hours, not in any quality.
    It seems like he is being set up for a robbery. Saying he can get XXX amount of cash from his shop. In Vegas some will rob the place.

Tim
    1971 Buick Sportwagon 350/4
    2013 Ford Focus ST. factory pro-touring car. " Pugsley"
    2008 Harley Fatboy 96ci

Horrible show. Won't be on too long.
    Nick

'65 Skylark Convertible

Who the hell wants to watch a show about a guy going around offering tons of cash for another car thats already perfect? it makes no sense what so ever. why not just turn on the Barret jackson auction? which by the way i cant stand watching those snobby rich pricks buy up everything...
    -Ryan-

'72 Custom 350 BSB

From the "Count" all the way to "Horny Mike" it got to be one suckiest shows ever..I'll throw Pawn Idiots and American Retards on the totally sucks list too..Ricks Restoration is alright..watch it when I can.
    Bob Gable
    70 GS Foe Fiddy 5

Watched 3-4 episodes. I think the count comes off as an unprofessional schmuck with a bloated ego and the guys in the shop all have some weird personality traits. The first thing the count needs to do is take off that stupid head band. Apparently its not hot enough in Vegas in the 100+ temps and he has to wear a black head band. In spite of all this they apparently have been making good money aside from the TV show and a good thing because the show won't last. Custom stuff is huge in Vegas and thats what they seem to do well.

It does look like his shop turns out some nice work though and I like that he states the cost. A couple of the jobs he quoted I thought no way he can do it for that and sure enough in the end he admitted they went over budget by 5 or 10k.....that is of course if they are being truthful.

Of all the Reality spin-offs I think the Count should stick to his business. Rick from Pawn Stars at least is more professional and very knowledgeable which makes his show educational for most. American Restoration's Rick Dale is good as well and Mike and Frankie from American Pickers are the best genuine reality show guys as far as I'm concerned. My nephew got to spend about 2 hours with them and he said what you see is what you get on TV as far as their character.
    Jason Z
    66-67 Rivs
    ROA & BCA Member
    Check out ROA Right Here http://www.rivowners.org/

"I am too poor to buy anything but the best"

I think it's awful too. Some one will pull a gun on that idiot sooner or later. I wonder what the history channel was thinking.
    Joe
    71 Skylark Custom- 430, 4 speed, 3.42s.

71 Skylark "Buzzin' 1/2 Dozen"
    250-6, TH350, 3.42s

74 Apollo, 70 350-4, 2004r, 3.73s. Buckets/console. Her daily driver. 17.2 Mpg, driving rudely!

62 and 65 Scouts, needing restos, after the buick is done.

05 2500hd Duramax- Short cab, long box- awesome!

96 P30 step van- Mac Mobile!

Doesn't say much for the creativity of TV. I think he's a tool. Even Rick from his bad show, the way they make it like he's actually doing work when the clients come in. So fake I can't stand it. And what's with the frayed cut off 1970's denim shirt he ALWAYS WEARS???

TV has really gone down the toilet. American Pickers is a good show, and who don't want to party with Barry from Storage Wars?? Lol. How bout partying with Brandi??
    NY Chicago 64 65 Posse

GSCA # 3741
    BPG # 1991
    494 Stroker, in the works
    2002 White Diamond Cadillac DeVille
    1965 GranSport 4 speed Coupe (Under Resto)
    1965 Skylark 462 12.21@109.8
    1964 Special Fireball V6, 3 on the tree! Sold
    1987 Grand National
    1987 SS Monte T-Tops 4sale..Gone. BACK!! Sold
    1995 Slammed Asstro
    17 in Boyd Coddingtons
    Daily Driver

NW Florida, originally from Southern Wisconsin

[QUOTE=Joe65SkylarkGS;2082955]
    TV has really gone down the toilet. American Pickers is a good show,QUOTE]

X2. I love American Pickers. It's probably my favorite show right now. Last week I was painting our family room and worked on it a couple hours in the evenings. My wife was in her jewelry room working on her stuff but for whatever reason the TV was on. I could hear it but wasn't watching it and after listening to that crap I had to turn it off. It seems like there's almost nothing but arguing on the tube these days. It really opened my eyes. Bring back Red Skelton, Jack Benny, Dean Martin..............
    Bill

I've watched a couple of episodes, but have no interest in watching it any further.
    Same old tired format.
    Buy car, work on it, sell it, and put the emphasis on the profit or loss.

Same with Fast N' Loud. I felt sick over what they did to that nice '70 Lincoln Continental Mark III. Once they started hacking at the frame with the torch, I turned the channel and never looked back.

What I really hate is when they mix all the shows together. It's at this point I consider the shows to have "Jumped the shark."
    Rick Harrison with Pawn Stars asks Mike & Frank from American Pickers to find a '57 Chevy he can give to his Dad for his birthday.
    Mike and Frank find one, but it is an incomplete POS. (As if complete, or even finished '57 Chevys are hard to come by. )
    Then, Rick takes it over to Rick Dale at American Restoration, even though his expertise lies more in cleaning and painting gumball & soda machines than car restorations. His crew are also experts at using pop rivets on everything.
    Of course, there is also the seemingly impossible self imposed deadline. Yada, yada, yada.

American Pickers is still enjoyable to watch though.
    Dale

Current Buicks...None. :-(
    Past Buicks. '66 Riv / '70 Rivs (2) / '90 Riv / '72 Skylark / '72 LeSabre / '72 Electra / '96 LeSabre / '92 Park Ave. / '96 Riviera.

"The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot. The guy who invented the other three, he was a genius.". Sid Caesar

I have a tough time with counting cars. all i can hope is between him having the 71 f100 and fast and loud doing the 68, it will make my 68 f100 project go for more and easier to sell. im such a car addict that i find myself watching all of those shows no matter how painfull they are. even when its 3 girls working on cars (jessie combs has always impressed me though).
    Dan
    1984 Regal Limited without an engine right now
    1970 GS 455 Convertible (in progress)<---hers
    2003 Avalanche (Daily driver)

If you watch any of these shows wrecks to riches, wheeler dealers, desert car kings on and on they always add the car price, parts and in some cases even shipping then sell the car and make all kinds of money. Wrecks to Riches even has a little meter that tracks the Money spent and the hours worked on the car but only add the parts cost to the final price of the car. They don't say one word about the hours and hours of labor that goes into these cars or the cost of the labor, it drives me insane. They act like labor is free and as you all know that can be by far the most expensive thing. It makes it difficult to watch, I mean come on any one can do it Right?
    Pete Hovey

67 GS400 Post
    87 Yamaha Venture 1300
    83 CB650
    02 F150 XLT
    98 Explorer XLT

I love American Pickers.
    Most likely becasue I know all the "unnamed" towns thier in, since many of the early episodes are local here in NW ILL. I'm often tempted to call them and see what they'll give me for some of my Buick parts and old Army stuff.

I also like watching for things they don't seem to talk about on the show. there's one episode where I'm about 80% an old Wildcat is peeking around the corner.

I watched one episode of that Fast N' Loud, wasn't a big fan of it. they take that vintage gasser they find and rush to finish it to make it in time for auction.
    Though that '36 Pontiac they bought was cool to see.
    --Bill--

1966 Buick Skylark 4-dr Hardtop 340-2, ST300, 2.78s

1967 Buick Skylark 4-dr Post-sedan- Parted out, gone but not forgotten
    Lots of parts left still
    http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.ph...oor-Post-Sedan

1997 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Laramie, 318, AT, 3.55s "The Parts Hauler"

If you guys want to see bad you should watch the episode where he made a wheelchair accessible Harley. He says nobody has done stuff like this before, after the customer has already said that companies do it but it costs too much for his budget. That sets the tone for the episode. Make it work, but as cheaply built as possible. The idea was to make a sidecar that the guy can drive from his chair, and then use the original bike as a sidecar for the wife to ride along. In the end they have a big ugly box with very small diameter rods that connect the handlebars of the box to the original bike front end which is now the sidecar

"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan, and not quite enough time."
    --Leonard Bernstein

Being a hard-core car guy, I just see too too many errors (and BS) in most of those shows. They're obviously targeted towards the general public.
    IMO, the best auto-related shows for the experienced enthusiast are on 'Spike' Saturdays and Sundays. Hard core, even tho much of it is an info-mercial for the sponsors.
    I watch the other shows including 'Counting Cars', but I don't agree that a modified '67 GTO convertible with painted bumpers is worth 50 grand.... or that a basket case '67-8 Mustang GT on 'Pawn Stars' gets bought for $12k (was it even a real GT?)..... however when it gets done up for a total of 35k, well that's more realistic.

Still wondering what became of the Fairlane GT that Mike bought on American Pickers. It's been in a few background shots since the original episode aired.
    Walt K
    (1)'66 GS Astro Blue, 13.41 et (2)'66 GS Saddle Mist, L76 Q-jet option, 1 of 132 (3)'66 GS Flame Red, Calif car (4)'66 GS Silver Mist, 4 speed (5)'66 Special, Flame Red, 300 (6)'79 Turbo Regal, 14.1 et (7)'65 GS 4 speed 'vert

love american pickers! i've stopped in their shop a few times on my way between IL and IA (which i drive every week). of course franky and mike (and Daniel) are never there, but cool to see the "set" none the less.
    -Ryan-

'72 Custom 350 BSB

Quote Originally Posted by zz2h33 View Post
    love american pickers! i've stopped in their shop a few times on my way between IL and IA (which i drive every week). of course franky and mike (and Daniel) are never there, but cool to see the "set" none the less.
    The way the show goes Daniel is allways there holding down the fort,
    Pete Hovey

67 GS400 Post
    87 Yamaha Venture 1300
    83 CB650
    02 F150 XLT
    98 Explorer XLT

new hampshire [summers]/ edgewater fla [winters

Here is my problem with all these build a car/bike in a week shows......I am in the metalshaping business which means i can build in my shop sheet metal parts,fenders bodies etc from a flat sheet of metal [ PerformanceMetalShaping.com ].....We also sell the related tools forthis work.....For us it is a double edged sword when these shows are on we actually see an uptick in our tool sales and interest in our metal shaping classes.....The bad sidence people seem to be interested in a restoration or learning how to we start to get tourist they cant got towhere the shows are filmed so lets find a similar place to go sightsee....When they do show up many procede to try to educate me on what they learned in last nights episode so i can do a better job at what i do......what they dont realise that a few of thoae fabricators seen on tv are using the equipment i designed and taught some of them how to use it......Here is the last big issue for me like Barrett Jackson which makes people think their old 4 door rust grandmothers rust bucket is worth thousands because one almost like it sold for $10000 on tv ,we get the same with people bringing in that same rust bucket or custom fabricating a specific part for a car/bike thinking this is all done i two one hour episodes and who am i to charge a weeks work of labor to build that part.......Its funny because for a while there there was a lull in those shows and the dreamers stayed out of my shop now that they are started up again here come the dreamers and they dont understand that unlike Disney World we are not an attraction and cannot spend a half day talking about what they saw the Count do on tv last night.....What these shows do is give people who may be interested in building or buying a speciality car a clouded view of reality.......The average joe looking at your car now thinks you waved the magic wand and poof you r car was built in 2 hrs like on tv, then when you are looking for a car to build the seller hits you with the pipe dream that his car is worth soo much because the Count paid that on tv
    1972 suncoupe [under restoration] / 1972 chevelle /1939 ford street rod / 1976 mgb

Quote Originally Posted by JZRIV View Post
    The first thing the count needs to do is take off that stupid head band. Apparently its not hot enough in Vegas in the 100+ temps and he has to wear a black head band.
    Thats called the biker comb over. He's got a receeding hairline and he's trying to cover it up. At 40+ years old, its time to cut the pony tail off too
    Jason Cook
    BPG #1675
    "Expert in obsolete technology"

1968 Riviera GS- some assembly required
    1969 Riviera GS- my first car
    1970 Stage 1 4 speed Aquamist
    1971 GS 455 11.93@113.36
    1971 Skylark Custom convertible
    1972 GS-350 project car
    1970 Stellar Industries vintage go kart

When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty

"Bulldog" James A. Miller

The "Elvira" episode was pretty cool.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast