Welcome to V8Buick.com.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: State of Kentucky folks, tax hike on Antique Plates?

Quote Originally Posted by Thrillrr View Post
    I talked to a county clerk today and they said there hasn't been any changes from last year.
    Your clerk was uninformed. The taxes are going up drastically. What I have yet to find out, is whether it is on just cars with that currently have Historic plates or all "historic" vehicles regardless of license plate on the vehicle. KY definition of historic off a streetrodder site:

Historic vehicle: all motor vehicles twenty-five (25) years old or older, which are used primarily for exhibition in shows, parades, tours, and other special uses, but not for general transportation.

It's going to get complicated. KY revenue site says:

"Non-historic motor vehicles are subject to full state and local taxation in Kentucky. Historic motor vehicles are subject to state taxation only. The state tax rate for non-historic vehicles is 45 cents per $100 of value. The state tax rate for historic motor vehicles is 25 cents per $100 of value."
    Last edited by Brian Albrecht; 11-20-2013 at 09:34 PM.
    Brian Albrecht

Current V8 Buicks:

'69 GS400 convertible. Factory Twilight blue with pearl bucket seats and white top.

---------------------------------------------------
    "The Buick-and the things of the Buick-had become his passion." Stephen King (Novel:From A Buick 8)

"Oh drat these computers, they're so naughty and so complex." Marvin the Martian (Bugs Bunny show)

…and who determines the value? The state? Bubba down at the bar? Sounds like a rip-off is coming your way down there, y'all.
    Brad Conley. 70 GSX Prototype, 71 Black GSX, 87 GNX Prototype, 75 Skyhawk, 2 86 GN's, 72 Centurion Convert and a host of other Buicks!

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Conley View Post
    …and who determines the value? The state? Bubba down at the bar? Sounds like a rip-off is coming your way down there, y'all.
    It appears that will be determined at the county level. Trust me, you guys are going to be along for the ride on this one.
    Brian Albrecht

Current V8 Buicks:

'69 GS400 convertible. Factory Twilight blue with pearl bucket seats and white top.

"The Buick-and the things of the Buick-had become his passion." Stephen King (Novel:From A Buick 8)

"Oh drat these computers, they're so naughty and so complex." Marvin the Martian (Bugs Bunny show)

Brian,

Is this a one time fee, or 3 or 5 years when the plate gets renewed, or are we talking a yearly tax here?

I can tell you for sure that if they are going to tax me $225 a year to let my 50K GS sit in the garage, I would be planting a for sale sign in front of the house.

I finally found one tax thing that Minnesota is not the worst on.. they nail you for tabs on new cars, but for us driving old junk and classics, it's pretty cheap.

JW
    Owner/operator

Tri-Shield Performance
    Jim Weise
    Founder/Owner
    V-8 Buick.com
    320-629-8999 shop or 612-532-2207 cel

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.
    Abraham Lincoln
    16th president of US (1809 - 1865)

I'm not sure about the historic car tax changing, but we definitely pay taxes every year for our regular cars in KY. my wife's 4 year old car costs more than $200 a year, plus license fees. And older cars are valued at some outrageous value, I have had to pay tax on $10,000 on a $1,000 car because that is what their book says.

Just got my tax bill on the three old cars I have registered. Less than a dollar on each this time. We'll see how it changes next year.
    Mike W

1969 Stage 1 Antique Gold
    1973 Stage 1 Sun Coupe 4 Speed
    1968 GS 350
    1970 Monte Carlo

I just got my bill and the cost of my tags quadrupled! Last year I am pretty sure I paid around $0.98, this year it was $4.20! I work for the county so I will investigate when I go over the clerks office to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Junkman View Post
    Cars are consumer items. Does KY. collect a property tax on washing machines, tv's, lawnmowers, furniture, etc ?
    It is refered as " road use tax"

---------- Post added at 05:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:28 PM ----------

I looked at my bill and it stayed the same as last year ($1.16) but it did go up last year as it was $0.68.

Not bad for a car that is driven less than 200 miles on the street.
    Michael Evans

"Universal means the part universally does not fit anything until you make it"

GSCA #1258

Building the 1972 Skylark Suncoupe with a 464 , 400 Turbo 3.90's in a 12 bolt, 4-wheel disk brakes

1.51 60-foot 7.14 ET (1/8 mile)

Dyno run Before the Procharger when it broke the drive shaft (and other things)..........
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJhHk...eature=related

I pay, yearly, about $85 for yom plates on my '72 GS. I had historic plates, a few years ago on this car. cost was about $35 yearly.
    no other taxes on the car, ever.
    Gerry
    1972 GS 350 ht #s
    2008 Astra XR 3 door
    2011 Chevy Cruze

Quote Originally Posted by SuncoupeTouring View Post
    I'm not sure about the historic car tax changing, but we definitely pay taxes every year for our regular cars in KY. my wife's 4 year old car costs more than $200 a year, plus license fees. And older cars are valued at some outrageous value, I have had to pay tax on $10,000 on a $1,000 car because that is what their book says.
    My first phone call was to the Boone County PVA (my county property value people). Fortunately, I got a nice, intelligent woman on the phone that answered all my questions.

Is there a change in law? No, Frankfort (our capitol) is performing "corrected assessments" after a state audit. Apparently some counties were the target of this first. In our area the test county was Campbell.

Should I pull my Historic tag off to avoid the additional tax assessment? No, you will still get the new assessment whether you have the Historical tag or a regular tag. It may happen January 1st or it may not but apparently Frankfurt has made the statement that all historic tags will be Jan 1. The reasoning is that if a car has historic tags then it must be in showroom condition. The fact of the matter is most of us bought the tag because it was a one time license plate fee. Only taxes were charged each year after the plate was issued.

What is used to determine the value? Frankfurt is using the low value of the NADA book. My car is $10,400 according to the woman on the phone.

Is such a drastic hike in assessment fair? The answer was basically that I've gotten off the hook for the last decade with a $250.00 valuation and I should be happy that I didn't pay the higher amounts during that time period.

Can the state go back and collect additional taxes from the last decade on my classic car? She said that does sometimes happen with land/homes but they will not do that with cars.

Next phone call will be to Frankfort. I doubt I'll get lucky twice on a knowledgeable and friendly government employee.
    Last edited by Brian Albrecht; 11-25-2013 at 11:01 PM.
    Brian Albrecht

Current V8 Buicks:

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Albrecht View Post
    Ohio has that, I wish it was an option for Kentucky classics. Frankly, I think in an effort to help the car community preserve history, the government should issue us free tags. If I were Prez that'd be the first thing I'd do. Well, I'd probably order TV volume to be kept at the same level or some other important thing to the average Joe first.
    I'm pretty sure Ky allows you to run plates that are year of car. Have to keep the issued historic plate in car with you though. Check ky web site. Now as far as taxes go. I just got my tax cards in mail. Two 71 GS's with historic tags, usually about $1.60 & $0.68, not now...$23 & $29. That hugs it. Gonna get every penny they can I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Weise View Post
    Brian,

Is this a one time fee, or 3 or 5 years when the plate gets renewed, or are we talking a yearly tax here?

I can tell you for sure that if they are going to tax me $225 a year to let my 50K GS sit in the garage, I would be planting a for sale sign in front of the house.

I finally found one tax thing that Minnesota is not the worst on.. they nail you for tabs on new cars, but for us driving old junk and classics, it's pretty cheap.

JW
    Yearly Jim. It's an annual tax bill based on the value of the vehicle on January 1st. You'd really move?

---------- Post added at 07:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:37 PM ----------

NADA value on this date:

1969 Buick Gran Sport
    2 Door Convertible (400)

Retail

Low $9,800 Average $20,300 High $36,200

Explaination of value: Low is a rough driver but not a parts car, average is a 20 footer, and high is a nice restoration but not a car in number 1 condition.

Brian Albrecht

Current V8 Buicks:

So let me get this straight. You guys in KY pay a state income tax and a personel property tax on things you own and paid a tax on when you first bought it ? Do you also pay school tax ? Do you have a state tax on Gasoline ? Do you pay a county tax ? I agree with Jim . I would move .

PA antique tags and classic tags are permanent. Costs about $100 for life for either tag. No such thing as a yearly cost.
    LOU

70 GSX STAGE 1 QQ #554
    73 RIVIERA

Quote Originally Posted by gsx455-4ever View Post
    So let me get this straight. You guys in KY pay a state income tax and a personel property tax on things you own and paid a tax on when you first bought it ? Do you also pay school tax ? Do you have a state tax on Gasoline ? Do you pay a county tax ? I agree with Jim . I would move .

PA antique tags and classic tags are permanent. Costs about $100 for life for either tag. No such thing as a yearly cost.
    Alabama state government brags that they have the lowest taxes in the US. It may be true. But, they tax EVERYTHING

Alabama has ;

real property tax
    Income tax
    sales tax (groceries included)
    Usage tax on automobiles
    Inventory tax on commercial materials
    Tax on office furniture
    Fuel tax

The tax on liquor is 150%
    "Bulldog" James A. Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Weise View Post
    Brian,

JW
    Massachusetts has (in addition to a 6.25% sales tax) an annual excise tax. The rate is set by the state, but the tax is payable to the city or town where you live. On a new car the tax is based on 90% of the original base price of the model. The second year it is based on 75%. The third 50%, the fourth, 25%, and the fifth and forever after 10%. It doesn't matter whether the vehicle is registered as an antique or not. This can work out OK though. If you are driving a $1.5 million 1928 Duesenberg SJ dual-cowl phaeton, the book value would be around $1,200 (10% of the original price). The excise tax would be $30.
    Jim, The excise tax on your $50K GS here would be about $12.50. (I am guessing it cost $5,000 or less new).
    John Codman
    Formerly owned Buicks:
    '33,'48, '51, '52, '54, '55 (3), '56, '60 LeSabre 3 sp stick.
    264 powered '53 Mercury
    322 then 264 powered 55 Ford
    264 powered '56 Chevy
    Presently - 431 nailhead powered '82 C-10

anyone in Scandinavia who can ccmment on road tax ?
    Gerry
    1972 GS 350 ht #s
    2008 Astra XR 3 door
    2011 Chevy Cruze

Quote Originally Posted by gsx455-4ever View Post

I called Frankfort today and spoke with KY dept of revenue. There is legislation that backs up the collection of higher property taxes on Historic cars per paragraph m:

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/Statutes/statute.aspx?id=42352

Foiled!
    Last edited by Brian Albrecht; 11-25-2013 at 11:00 PM.
    Brian Albrecht

Current V8 Buicks:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12