Welcome to V8Buick.com.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 350 buick mtr in skyhawk......

I know this has been done and I would like to do it. I am in the middle of getting the car and want to put it in there. KB had one back in the day and with maybe a shorty header this thing would fly. have a couple of buddys that have monzas and want to show them up with a level playing field. been wanting this done for some time. I was 16 an wanted to do it. know i can. so let me see the pics or the number to a guy that has it done already.

Thanks guys

Doug B.

Default Re: 350 buick mtr in skyhawk......

There is a 350 Buick V8 powered model year 1977 Skyhawk in the Netherlands.
    But you first have to learn a new language if I give you his e-address or telephone number, the owner doesn't speak English.....

I have a few photos of the engine bay, I will search for them later this weekend and post them in this thread

PS: Check the "Similar Threads" section at the bottom of this page for other V8buick.com posts about this conversion
    Sent from my computer, using a keyboard.
    กกกก ʞ ɐ ɥʇıʍ pǝllǝds s,ʇɐɥʇ ʍoN -----> ʞıɹƎ

"No, it's a Buick Centurian Riveria post sedan Grand Sport convertable with a straight six Nailhead 455, V8 of course...."

I would like to see a sheet metal intake with 2 4's on it!!! You could paint on the side Chevy Eater!

NW Florida, originally from Southern Wisconsin

It will be a great project if you can achieve your goals and I'd love to see it happen. I hate to be the one to point this out but just keep in mind that there is performance equipment available for small block Chevys that will make way more power in comparison to a 350 Buick. Just sayin', your buddies have a huge advantage over you. Maybe start thinking about a tubocharger. Sean can help you with that here. Personally, I'd look into doing a turbo 6 GN engine to swap in. It should bolt right in the Skyhawk, and just think how bad your buddies would feel being beat by a V6
    Bill

I will look for the posts however the Buick 350 will bolt in if you use the V6 mounts and an electric radiator.... A guy on here posted pics and details of the swap and it was a bolt in deal although it is tight....

I bought a 78 Skyhawk and was swapping in a Twin Turbo Buick 350 untill I decided to go with a Skylark instead... There are two problems with the Buick 350 in Skyhawk idea:

1. NO headers will fit unless they are custom made.
    2. The engine has to stay about stock or the car will be a death trap unless you beef up EVERYTHING from brakes, suspension, chassis, subframe connectors, etc. These cars have thier quirks for sure, but done right they make great race cars.... For the street with a stock or close to stock 350 they would be a lot of fun.

If I were to mess with a Skyhawk I would use a 86-87 GN engine like said above.... However same goes the car would need a lot of work to safely handle the power.

---------- Post added at 08:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 AM ----------

Oh, and if the Skyhawk v6 engine is a even fire model then you could swap on the 86-87 GN heads, intake and fuel injection, and leave the bottom end of the engine alone.....
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    My book called Small Block Buick Performance covering the V6, 215, 300, 340, and Buick 350 engines will be released soon.

http://www.v8buick.com/forumdisplay....rformance-Book
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________________________
    1970 Buick Skylark 350 street/strip with 6 point cage: Custom tube headers feed Twin T3/T4 Turbochargers, Holley 650, sheet metal single plane intake, heavily ported iron heads with oversized valves, mild Poston 114 camshaft (2800-6000 RPM), Diamond forged pistons on Hershe forged rods, balanced, ARP everywhere, dual 3" exhaust, Paddle shifted 4L80E 4 speed overdrive, Moser 12 bolt with 3.42 gear.

6. Default Re: 350 buick mtr in skyhawk......

If you were to use an aluminum intake, the weight would be pretty close to the v6 that came out of it, but the weight distribution might be a bit off since it's a little longer. May have to mod the hood too for carb clearance with a spacer.

Leave it close to stock with a mild cam that idles like stock, quiet mufflers and you'd have quite a sleeper on your hands!

OR beef up the v6. Bump the compression with some milling and put a cam in to match, use the old KB single plane aluminum intake and a 500 CFM 4 barrel carb, do some cleanup on the heads and port/polish the exhaust manifolds!

That sounds like it would be a fun car, with about 1 HP per cube not too difficult to achieve with a relatively mild setup and proper tuning.

Power to weight ratio would be pretty good.

A good running 350 would be scary in a car like that.

was thinking just a mild mtr. intake forged piston clean the runners up and small cam with a Qjet. and a shot of nitrous on the big end if I need it.
    Any pics would be great. have buddys that have built there stuff and make pwer so I will do the 5 lug and the brkes offa S10 are the same for F,G,and A body cars so thas a good. the rear only will handle about 450hp nd thats built. but Im aftera fun car this time around and plan to drive it to work more then race it. besides working on a father sons big inch monster. but need a fun car in the mean time. So keep the info coming and i will get this one done.

Thanks Doug

the Monza could be purchased with a V8 engine. I think it was a 265 or 267 ci.
    Gerry
    1972 GS 350 ht #s
    2008 Astra XR 3 door
    2011 Chevy Cruze

I have seen one at US 41 in Indiana race low 13s with a Buick 350 stock intake but had Hooker tag on headers
    Andy bridgeview,il
    65 special v6 daily driver-this needs to go faster
    82 gn clone 455 12.50's on pump, soon trishield 464
    84 gn
    72 skylark convert#2 ,N-25 for sale

10. Default Re: 350 buick mtr in skyhawk......

Just did a little research on this and the Monza came with SBC as an option (305 and 350), so the suspension is capable of handing some extra weight, making the Buick 350 (which is lighter than SBC) a very doable option for the Skyhawk, which ONLY came with the 231 v6.

The Skyhawk weighs in at 2700-3000 lbs., depending on options.

Makes me want to locate an H body Skyhawk now...

The rear end in almost the same as the 7.5 rear gm used in s10 and camaro Firebirds astro vans. So getting a nice gear from those cars would work out. but to use a newer posi you have to get axles as the s10 and such have more spline count
    Andy bridgeview,il
    84 gn

How is running a bunch of power with a V6 any different from a V8? If the car not built to handle it, a powerful V6 can rip a car apart just like a V8.

I wouldn't fool with the V6 but that is strictly my personal preference. Not saying the V6 is not a good platform.
    Cason P.
    71 Skylark 350-4V
    Hooker Headers
    Ken G. 1973 Q-Jet
    D5 GN Converter/200R4
    3.42 Posi Rear
    In Development:
    Either this Car kills me, or I kill the car first!

Yes but that car is a sheet metal frame so when you add Buick power and torgue to it you need to beef it up! I know full chassis is the cure but you should be able to add support frame to the existing floor to compensate. I seen a Regal that had a 1000+ turbo 502 Chevy and he beefed up the rear upper crossmember with 3/16 steel and other things to keep the rear end in it. He worked on Schmachers T/F Rail. I seen it run at IRP and he never kept it floored because the tires kept breaking loose. His best time that I seen was around 8.50.

14. Default Re: 350 buick mtr in skyhawk......

Though the 350 is doable, you wouldn't want to build it radical or you'd have to reinforce everything from front to rear. The v6 would have better weight distribution because it's wide and short so it sits closest to the center of the car compared to other engines, and you would have some room to fiddle with addons for more power.

A Buick 350 would slide right on in, though it would probably be tighter than Dick's hatband.

There's options to think about for sure.

Edit: damn guys we not talking that much power...300-350 HP is probably tops you'd want to put into it without it twisting like a twizzler under the torque, though I wouldn't bother with slicks or other drag nonsense....mine would be strictly for street fun.
    Heck 300 hp 400 ft. lbs. in a 2900 lb. car would be all kinds of nuts for street use.
    A nice 250 hp 300 ft. lb. N/A v6 would be plenty for stock suspension and you'd still need posi and larger tires.

The standard rims were 13" lmao

There is always the 215 engine,all aluminum platform(bought by Rover at the end of the 1963 production run,and produced until just a couple of years ago) that would be the lightest option.With all kinds of stroker build options for those,and if you could score the TA rover heads,you could probably run more HP with less low end torque to not twist the car to badly. Or even a sbb 300 stroker would be cool,this Buick engine has a shorter deck height that might be easier to fit under the hood,and is not as wide as a 340/350 sbb for a little more room for some sort of header.(This is even more true with the 215 that has an even shorter deck height,and is less wide that a 300.)A 1964 sbb 300 came with aluminum heads and intake from the factory,if you can find one.

If you're building a street car,and want it to handle,the lighter 215 platform would be a really fun way to go.

Anyway,sounds like a fun project which ever way you decide Goodluck.

Derek
    64 Skylark,401 Nailhead,ST400,3.23:1Posi
    64 Skylark,305Vortec sbc,700R4,12blt Posi 3.73,low 14s. A sbb 300 stroker planned for it.
    72 Skylark Convert. in progress, Not yet assembled 455 .020 over,70 heads with stage1 valves,gasket matched and bowl blended,transmission to be determined.
    65 Chevy Impala,4,400lbs,383sbc,700R4,3.07posi,1.80 60' foot time low 13s @101mph,15mpg city,24mpg highway

Edit Signature

I wish I got some pics of the one I seen at US 41 , the motor sat well and kinda low considering clearance was good but I cant remember is it was AC car or not. a good 250 hp 350 will net some easy 14s and be quick on street, make some subframe connectors and go
    Andy bridgeview,il
    84 gn

I would love to get a pic of a 350 in one just to keep me going. and 400hp would be abot all it needs. afterall i plan to drive this car all the time

Doug

KS_Skyhawk here has done it. This is his engine in a Skyhawk.

This link has some Buick 350 info for a Skyhawk. http://forums.h-body.org/viewtopic.php?t=20218&start=30

The Buick Domestic & Export Report shows that one Skyhawk for 1977 was made from the factory with a 350 4bbl.

Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Brian
    1977 Skyhawk (3) Hawk Accent, Free Spirit & someday a turbo V6 Street/Strip Hawk
    1969 Stage 1 4spd (resto project)

Build it Doug, it will be just fine as have tens of thousands of hot SBC Monza/Vega builds and as your buddies have proven. As a youngster I tried to put a 300 in one but the drivers exh manifold clearance issues proved too much for my youth and inexperience. The 350 manifold is much narrower and tighter so might work. Forest Thornborough built the KB car. I think it said in the catalog he used KB headers?
    Adam

No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but billions of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Adam he built the car Jims wife use to drive? it had a 350 in it as well. i think it was a77.

pic of that 350 inthe engine bay looks stock. I cant wait to lock down the car. going to my buddys to get my 350 stuff together and start shopping for mtr parts and then assembly time.

Thanks Guys for the help and when its done. pics will be post for sure

Doug

Here's mine.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1976 Skyhawk w/ SBB 350, Poston 118, 10.2 pistons,TA intake, 750 Edelbrock, Accel dist, beefed 200R4, 3" exhaust into a Flowmaster 50. .....
    Not a lot of traction!!

ks_skyhawk can i ask you a few questions? I can ask them private if you would like? your car looks like the mtr was made in nthere. hope to talk to you soon.

Thanks Doug

Looks great! Would be curious if the stock exhaust manifolds fit, or better yet, share a synopsis of the whole build requirements. I had the vision, and enjoy seeing this especially when these cars are probably as rare as a GS these days; maybe more so.
    Adam

No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but billions of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

I thought about the SBB route with the 77 IIRC Skyhawk that is not advertised for sale here in town. Using the 350 out of the wagon than build a 455 for the wagon. I would reinforce it and put some power in it. suprising some locals with Buick power. LOL

Tim
    1971 Buick Sportwagon 350/4
    2013 Ford Focus ST. factory pro-touring car. " Pugsley"
    2008 Harley Fatboy 96ci

i would love to have a "How to put a 350 in a Skyhawk" story. it would help me out greatly. like tires to use and the 5lug convertion (were to get it on the web)and the wheels,14,15? posi and trans,auto stick? ac an so on. Pic would be great

Doug

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast