Welcome to V8Buick.com.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 68 Riviera hood ornament

Howdy fellow Buick owners, just a quick question about the hood on a 68 Riviera GS seems I have a Riviera script on the front drivers side near grill but have noticed other 68's just have RIVIERA spelt along bottom edge of hood. I have seen a few with just the script cursive Riviera, was this only for GS Riviera's. Just wondering cheers Aussiebuick430.

Default Re: 68 Riviera hood ornament

Steve, (please put your first name in your signature under your posts)

The small Riviera script was used for the model year 1967 and 1970 Riviera, your car should have R I V I E R A letters all over the front of the bonnet
    Can you post a photo of the front of your car ?

Maybe your car has a model year 1970 Riviera bonnet, because the 1966/1967 bonnets are different.
    The moulding in the middle, that runs from the front to the windscreen, is also different between the years, so a good photo will help.

Here's another model year 1968 Riviera with the wrong script:

Here's a model year 1967 Riviera:

Sent from my computer, using a keyboard.
       ʞ ɐ ɥʇıʍ pǝllǝds s,ʇɐɥʇ ʍoN -----> ʞıɹƎ

"No, it's a Buick Centurian Riveria post sedan Grand Sport convertable with a straight six Nailhead 455, V8 of course...."

. . . what Erik sez Steve !!
    All the '66,'68, and '69 2nd gen cars shared seperate R-I-V-I-E-R-A 'block' letters across the hood, just above the lower front chrome hood moulding.
    Only the '67 and '70s had the 'script' style emblem, located in the lower corner of the hood like yours, and it definetly is not a 'GS' specific application.
    The chrome centre hood spear moulding was also 'distinctive' for each model year - a picture would certainly help to ID what you actually have.

(. . . that's not a 'raised' '68 centre hood spear in your '68 photo Erik - not sure what year it is - '69 would be my guess ? )
    Randy Hunter / ROA Charter Member #155 - '68 Buick Riviera GS (clone) '"The JEWAL"
    ...previous Buicks: '68 LeSabre 400 2dr hdtp,'68 Wildcat 2dr hdtps (2), '68 Riviera (2 parts cars),'80 LeSabre V6 4 dr (...long gone slug)
    Check out the ROA here: www.rivowners.org ,and my '68 Riviera here: http://www.v8buick.com/garage_vehicl...w_vehicle&id=1

Quote Originally Posted by Rivman View Post
    (. . . that's not a 'raised' '68 centre hood spear in your '68 photo Erik - not sure what year it is - '69 would be my guess ? )
    I also noticed that it is much lower compared with the 1968 model, Randy.
    Maybe the entire bonnet came from a 1970 Riviera, let's wait for Dale to chime in

Edit: The moulding on this 1970 Riviera looks just like the moulding on the black '68 in the first photo.
    Together with the small script, I would say that the whole thing is indeed from a 1970 Riviera:

This morning I posted a link from an old thread in a thread from another new board member.
    He's also from Australasia, he also owns a 1968 Riviera and he also had a question about 2nd generation bonnets:

Click here

"No, it's a Buick Centurian Riveria post sedan Grand Sport convertable with a straight six Nailhead 455, V8 of course...."

Thumbs up Re: 68 Riviera hood ornament

All the '66,'68, and '69 2nd gen cars shared seperate R-I-V-I-E-R-A 'block' letters across the hood, just above the lower front chrome hood moulding.
    Only the '67 and '70s had the 'script' style emblem, located in the lower corner of the hood like yours, and it definetly is not a 'GS' specific application.
    The chrome centre hood spear moulding was also 'distinctive' for each model year - a picture would certainly help to ID what you actually have.

Hey thanks Rivman hope ive got the signature thing worked out. Im pretty sure at some stage they have replaced the hood with a 70' s Riv hood as you suggested. I think its been in accident at some stage in Adelaide and that's all they could find, don't know the previous owner before my Dad purchased the car. Im after front suspensions parts for my 68 Riv whats a good supplier in the States you guys go to. I need tie rod ends, pitman arm etc. Can you get kits for these cars. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers Steve
    Aussie Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Aussiebuick430 View Post
    Hey thanks Rivman hope ive got the signature thing worked out.
    Cheers Steve.
    Not really.... because we are all here on a friendly first name base
    What Randy(?) meant was that you put your real name in your signature, your board name is already displayed above your posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Boattail View Post
    Can you post a photo of the front of your car ?
    a picture would certainly help to ID what you actually have.
    Despite all the requests, you didn't bother to show us a photo....
    So let me fix that for you:

The moulding that runs from the front of the car to the windscreen is different from the 1970 moulding,
    so maybe it's a 1970 bonnet with the original '68 moulding....?

Yeah finally worked it out. Im Steve from Australia hows it going? PS my last name isn't Riviera coz that would be ironic eh.
    Aussie Steve

Need a 'side view' of that hood spear for a proper ID Steve, - notice how the '70 runs right down to the front edge, where yours does not.
    The main difference '68 vs. '69 was that the '68 was raised at the front peak while the '69 was much flatter, but they are the same length.
    Also noticed (...from Erik's photo), the side mirrors for your '68 are not 'stock' and appear to be from an earlier '66, or '67 2nd gen. Riv - they could also be 'after market' add ons, since they are not a matching set?
    Last edited by Rivman; 10-09-2013 at 08:00 PM.
    Randy Hunter / ROA Charter Member #155 - '68 Buick Riviera GS (clone) '"The JEWAL"
    ...previous Buicks: '68 LeSabre 400 2dr hdtp,'68 Wildcat 2dr hdtps (2), '68 Riviera (2 parts cars),'80 LeSabre V6 4 dr (...long gone slug)
    Check out the ROA here: www.rivowners.org ,and my '68 Riviera here: http://www.v8buick.com/garage_vehicl...w_vehicle&id=1

It could very easily be a '70 hood.

I happen have a '68 hood on my '70.
    I filled in the holes for the block letters that spell out RIVIERA across the front, and drilled holes in the appropriate place for the Riviera script on the left hand side.
    I swapped out the front lip, and the center trim pieces that run the length of the hood will interchange with each other also. In fact, I have the taller '68 center trim on it for now because I like the look of it better.
    Dale

Current Buicks...None. :-(
    Past Buicks. '66 Riv / '70 Rivs (2) / '90 Riv / '72 Skylark / '72 LeSabre / '72 Electra / '96 LeSabre / '92 Park Ave. / '96 Riviera.

"The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot. The guy who invented the other three, he was a genius.". Sid Caesar

[...] since the right side mirror does not match the left driver side?

But...... the left side is not the driver's side, Randy

But...... the left side is not the driver's side, Randy
    Edits own post to read left side, instead of driver's side to be in compliance with international standards.
    Dale

Past Buicks. '66 Riv / '70 Rivs (2) / '90 Riv / '72 Skylark / '72 LeSabre / '72 Electra / '96 LeSabre / '92 Park Ave. / '96 Riviera.

"The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot. The guy who invented the other three, he was a genius.". Sid Caesar

To add to the confusion: Why not use the good old British terms ''off side'' and ''near side''.....?

Quote Originally Posted by Someone on a .co.uk website:
    A very common question when trying to source a part for a car, e.g. when trying to find an oxygen sensor for an engine with sensors on either side.

An easy way to remember is to think of the car being parked at the side of a road.

The side nearest the kerb is the Near side (N/S).
    The side away from the kerb is the Off side (O/S).
    So the Near-side of the car is the Passenger's side and the Off-side is the Driver's side.

You can use the good old British ''off side'' and ''near side'' instead.....
    That's right!
    I now remember the knock off hubs on an old right hand drive Jaguar my Dad owned read, "Right (Near) Side" and "Left (Far) Side"
    And "Undo" with an arrow pointing the direction to remove them.
    Dale

F-I-X-E-D !
    I did forget that things are sorta 'reversed' across the pond, and down under lads !!
    In any case, those fancy exterior mirrors certainly are different, along with those fancy hub caps Steve, and that centre hood spear is a '68, judging by the side profile you were kind enough to post Erik.

Cheers for all the info about the hood. We have strange laws where I live and cars from overseas usually the states needed to be converted to the right hand side. Cars 30 years and older like mine can remain left hand drive,(not modern cars though) it is different in others states our laws suck here in South Australia , someone changed it to right hand drive at some point. As for the mirrors they are just chrome cheapies I bought as it had only a drivers side mirror on the car when my dad bought it. As for the hubcaps they were originally painted black but I had them polished, seems to be a lot of diff types of hubcaps available for the 68 Riv these look pretty cool though. Here's a you tube vid I did in 2011 of my Riv on the dyno, is 225 rwhp a decent figure. Engine is stock except for pertronix ignition and 2.5 inch stainless steel twin system. cheers.
    Aussie Steve

Steve Riviera (not my real name)
    So, your first name is Bert and not Steve...

Its Steve.

---------- Post added at 12:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 AM ----------

What are mayonnaise era buicks? anyway.
    Aussie Steve

Its Steve.
    Okay, but I was a wee bit puzzled by this:

Steve Riviera (not my real name)

And also by this:

Here's a you tube vid I did in 2011 of my Riv on the dyno
    But that video was posted by this bloke named Bert:

And he also claims that he's the owner in a comment, posted just 3 months ago, on another Buick video:

What are mayonnaise era buicks?
    Call it what you prefer to read

The start of the malaise era is roughly marked by the Arab oil embargo of 1973 and the resulting great muscle car extinction,
    and it lasted until the introduction of the 200 hp + Buick Regal Grand National and the Ford Mustang GT 5.0 in 1985.

Just **** stirring for now, you have to get used to that we Aussies don't take ourselves to seriously. So what did you think of the video?
    Aussie Steve

I've lived there for over 3 years, so I know a little bit about taking the Mickey out of someone, but in the end I always managed to confuse you lot.

The video....well: That is definitely a blue car

That's my Dads car (Bert R.I.P) now mine, where were u living.
    Aussie Steve

To name a few places: St. Kilda, Sydney, Brisbane and Fitzroy Island/Cairns

Hi Rivman:
    I have a question regarding the hood spear. I have a '66 GS and would love to put the more streamlined spear from a '68 on the car.
    Do you think it will fit? Is it made of pot metal like the '66/'67 or stainless as I believe is the case with the '69 and '70?
    Thanks,

'66 - '69 are all cast pot metal, and not stainless - '70 only. As to fitting a '68 spear on a '66, I don't really know.
    If the front slope on the '66 hood is the same side profile as a '68, then it might fit, assuming the mounting holes are positioned the same ?
    Last edited by Rivman; 01-02-2014 at 11:12 AM.

'66 - '70 are all cast pot metal, and not stainless - as to fitting a '68 spear on a '66, I don't really know.
    If the front slope on the '66 hood is the same side profile as a '68, then it might fit, assuming the mounting holes are positioned the same ?
    The '70 is actually a stainless piece.
    The hoods used on '66 & '67 do differ in profile from the '68, '69, & '70, so doubt trim would interchange.
    I am going from old memory here, but I seem to remember the hood spear on my '66 being very similar to the '68 & '69's.
    Dale

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast