View Poll Results: Which would you like to see made first for Purchase

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • AL Heads

106 86.89%
  • AL Single-plane Intake

16 13.11%
Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Exclamation TA Aluminum Intake OR ALuminum Heads(this is for real)

TA is looking into moving forward with one Project, He needs to know which one will have the most deman to actualy buy upon completion
    please vote and post below
    Mike aka BiZnO
    72 twinturbo Skylark

Buick 350 Inspirational members to me..
    TuBBeD for his 551+ N/A build
    BillMah52 First to take a 350 where no man has gone before
    Justa350 First to hang a pair of turbos and cause Kaos
    GSJohnny First to max out the bore at .090 and his .075 and have engines that actually breath well N/A!
    Bobb Makley First well known to Stroke a 350
    Ken Betts, Hopefully the guy to pull-off 350 AL heads :-D

Default Re: TA Aluminum Intake OR ALuminum Heads(this is for real)

Heads!
    Mike

72 Buick GS Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by Nothingface5384 View Post
    TA is looking into moving forward with one Project, He needs to know which one will have the most deman to actualy buy upon completion
    please vote and post below
    Mike,

Looks like we cross posted. I'll delete my poll.

Devon

---------- Post added at 10:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 PM ----------

See http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.ph...25#post2277225

I assume this applies to the 350 Small Block Buick. I haven't built one in a long time, but when I saw the post I was surprised that nobody pounced on this, so here you go!

I think this is great news.

In my opinion, be careful what you wish for. A single plane intake on a naturally aspirated engine (no forced induction) may be limited by the original iron cylinder heads, though porting the heads will help.

Likewise, full potential of aftermarket aluminum heads may be hampered by using a stock iron intake. The TA Dual plane intake is already available and in my experience responds well to porting, but will not give the higher gains that a single plane intake manifold can.

Realize this is preliminary, so don't expect answers yet about valve sizes, spread bore vs square bore, intake height, etc. I'm thinking this is only a test of the potential market.

Enough from me.

Devon
    Fuel & Brake Systems Engineer
    "I can live with doubt and uncertainty and not knowing. I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong." - Feynman
    "Good data is precious. The problem I have is when some damned fool fails to use it properly." - Slingerland

Quote Originally Posted by DaWildcat View Post
    Mike,

Looks like we cross posted. I'll delete my poll.

Devon

---------- Post added at 10:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 PM ----------

See http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.ph...25#post2277225

I assume this applies to the 350 Small Block Buick. I haven't built one in a long time, but when I saw the post I was surprised that nobody pounced on this, so here you go!

I think this is great news.

In my opinion, be careful what you wish for. A single plane intake on a naturally aspirated engine (no forced induction) may be limited by the original iron cylinder heads, though porting the heads will help.

Likewise, full potential of aftermarket aluminum heads may be hampered by using a stock iron intake. The TA Dual plane intake is already available and in my experience responds well to porting, but will not give the higher gains that a single plane intake manifold can.

Realize this is preliminary, so don't expect answers yet about valve sizes, spread bore vs square bore, intake height, etc. I'm thinking this is only a test of the potential market.

Enough from me.

Devon
    This is why I Voted Heads
    s/p intake will obviously help, but there will still be limited by the heads..cheaper so they break production cost point and yeild quicker profits.
    AL heads with stock intake or TA/poston Intake is win win...just make sure AL heads flow the same or more then a max port iron head..and have more room for port work out the box
    we could possibly have option for different cylinder combustion design too
    You can find someone to Fab up An s/p intake if you really desired, forum members already have had it done
    Mike aka BiZnO
    72 twinturbo Skylark

GSJohnny First to max out the bore at .090 and his .075 and have engines that actually breath well N/A!

I vote for Aluminum heads,that way I won't have to have them made.

Derek
    64 Skylark,401 Nailhead,ST400,3.23:1Posi
    64 Skylark,305Vortec sbc,700R4,12blt Posi 3.73,low 14s. A sbb 300 stroker planned for it.
    72 Skylark Convert. in progress, Not yet assembled 455 .020 over,70 heads with stage1 valves,gasket matched and bowl blended,transmission to be determined.
    65 Chevy Impala,4,400lbs,383sbc,700R4,3.07posi,1.80 60' foot time low 13s @101mph,15mpg city,24mpg highway

I agree. In my opinion, the cylinder heads are the logical choice knowing what TA has done in regards to V6 and V8 development in the last 20+ years.

That's my input, but I won't vote in the poll because I am not a potential customer at this time.

My advice is that anyone else who is not a potential customer for SBB aftermarket intake or heads should not vote either. In other words, don't pollute the poll.

Devon
    Fuel & Brake Systems Engineer
    "I can live with doubt and uncertainty and not knowing. I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong." - Feynman
    "Good data is precious. The problem I have is when some damned fool fails to use it properly." - Slingerland

Heads, heads, heads. Any ideas on price point or is this too soon to know?
    Logan A.
    1972 Skylark GS clone

Heads
    Sent from the dust in front of you!

Quote Originally Posted by gsla72 View Post
    Heads, heads, heads. Any ideas on price point or is this too soon to know?
    too soon but we can speculate from price range of current offerings rover heads were the most recently made
    Mike aka BiZnO
    72 twinturbo Skylark

Heads please.
    Mike

72 Buick GS Convertible

Heads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    My book called Small Block Buick Performance covering the V6, 215, 300, 340, and Buick 350 engines will be released soon.

http://www.v8buick.com/forumdisplay....rformance-Book
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    1970 Buick Skylark Turbo 350 street/strip

My 2 cent input is, you can fab an intake a lot easier than a set of heads!
    alan

It isn't what happens to you that matters most, but rather what you choose to do about it.

'73 Estate wagon - Best ET 11.74, best MPH 117.13

from somebody who has single plane intakes and more; the BIGGEST improvement right out of the box is a single plane intake.
    the stock manifold SUCKS, period!! if the intake doesn't flow, the heads are useless.

does anybody out there understand this priniciple?

Thanks for starting this poll. I would like to hear from more than 18 people if possible. Numbers like that really don't build a great case for such an expensive project. My feeling was to do the single plane intake first which would be inline with the SP1 & SP2 intakes. To build the intake with an air gap will increase the price of the product. Also I really feel the intake should have an exhaust cross over. Folks that will street drive it in cooler climates will benefit from that being present. You can block it off to keep things cooler if you chose. I felt that there are more folks that could spend the money an intake verse heads. Some of the sales folks at TA have expressed from feed back from you folks over time that we should do the cylinder head. I wanted to see for my self so this is why this post is in place. If the head is found to have the larger demand I will lean that direction. The single plane will come in time because I want one to for my sons car as well. I will check back in a few days to see how this poll is progressing.
    Mike Tomaszewski
    TA Performance Products Inc.
    www.taperformance.com
    480-922-6807

Quote Originally Posted by TA Perf View Post
    Thanks for starting this poll. I would like to hear from more than 18 people if possible. Numbers like that really don't build a great case for such an expensive project. My feeling was to do the single plane intake first which would be inline with the SP1 & SP2 intakes. To build the intake with an air gap will increase the price of the product. Also I really feel the intake should have an exhaust cross over. Folks that will street drive it in cooler climates will benefit from that being present. You can block it off to keep things cooler if you chose. I felt that there are more folks that could spend the money an intake verse heads. Some of the sales folks at TA have expressed from feed back from you folks over time that we should do the cylinder head. I wanted to see for my self so this is why this post is in place. If the head is found to have the larger demand I will lean that direction. The single plane will come in time because I want one to for my sons car as well. I will check back in a few days to see how this poll is progressing.
    If an air gap is going to add cost,wouldn't an ex. crossover?

Besides I would guess that very few people would drive their old Buick up here in the salt belt in the winter. If someone did,they would probably have a stock or TA D/P intake on it. So if you're trying to keep the cost down,then leave out the ex. crossover. Unless it saves $$ because the D/P tooling is being used to make the S/P,then no big deal,go ahead and leave it in if it makes it less expensive.

Derek
    64 Skylark,401 Nailhead,ST400,3.23:1Posi
    64 Skylark,305Vortec sbc,700R4,12blt Posi 3.73,low 14s. A sbb 300 stroker planned for it.
    72 Skylark Convert. in progress, Not yet assembled 455 .020 over,70 heads with stage1 valves,gasket matched and bowl blended,transmission to be determined.
    65 Chevy Impala,4,400lbs,383sbc,700R4,3.07posi,1.80 60' foot time low 13s @101mph,15mpg city,24mpg highway

Quote Originally Posted by TA Perf View Post
    s/p intake with airgap should be the only way to go if you decide intake
    block off kit you can install and easily remove would be sweet if you plan to drive in different seasons(Fall to NOV) or just install for track
    Mike aka BiZnO
    72 twinturbo Skylark

I think ultimately, we would need both products to achieve the results so many people want out of the 350. Since it's a situation of 'one or the other' at this point in time, I would vote heads.
    1972 Skylark 350 - Christine

SBB 350 TA SP3, Crower cam level 4 #50259, TA Super Comp 1.75" headers, 3" TA exhaust with Flowmaster 50's

I didn't cast my vote because I don't have the disposable income at the moment. But if there were aluminum heads on the horizon, I would begin saving now.
    Justin
    BPG Member- 2287
    1972 Skylark Custom- Sold
    Next up-???

I vote for heads! I have the TA aluminum intake, the Burton twin turbo kit, and nothing to bolt them to.
    Here's my dream; quench type chambers, 1 point or so higher compression, stock (large) style valves, and
    maybe even Chevy stlye rocker posts. If these features were all in one, I wouldn't hesitate to throw cash down.
    1965 Thunderbird Limited Edition Special Landau
    Work in progress...

Like Taulbee, I'm not going to vote as Im not a perspective buyer (at least right now), but just a comment as to some perspective I had. If aluminum heads (and lets be honest, a s/p manifold would follow suit Im sure) were available for the sbb when I started turning up the heat on my project, I probably wouldnt have even built my bbb in the first place. My car was a 350 car originally, and honestly I love sbb's. But the lack of goodies like that almost caused me to move to the "dark side" (LS) but in the end I defected to the land of the big block. I wouldnt have done that had these been available. One of my best friends (fellow member here) has stuck with the 350 in his car and I LOVE what he is doing with his drive train, you never see tricked out sbb's at shows. That said, unfortunately Im not really in the market now as my project is too far along to change directions, but if these perspective products do become available, I may just have to find a clean home for that 350 that is on the stand in my shop right now....

I hope it all works out for the guys that want the parts, and TA to make some profit in the process. It'd be a huge win for us Buick guys all around. We've all heard the drum beating forever that sbb's need some more love, I hope that everybody who thinks so can pay up and make it happen
    Shawn
    "I drive too fast to worry about my cholesterol..."
    -72 Skylark- Project "Rusty Hulk"- 462ci 4 speed street bruiser
    Build Thread: http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.php?293656-Build-Thread-Project-Rusty-Hulk
    -72 Skylark- The wifes ride, " Elsa " - bone stock and classy cruiser
    BPG #2288 (RIP)
    BCA Member #???? (For Now)

"The garage looks like the house of
    Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde..."

Heads!
    Dave N.
    Cleveland,Ohio

my 2 cents : intake
    (A) business - as long as the intake comes in at a reasonable price point i think it will get more people involved . i would have to guess it'll be approx $1500-2000 cheaper than a set of heads . it is a basic "take off - bolt on" part handled by anyone with modest to normal mechanical skills and a little patience in an afternoon . easy bolt on's are what helped the SBC become the performance frontrunner . involvement , visibility , street talk = participation . bigger numbers = cheaper available parts = more involvement .
    (B) performance - probably already a good number of well ported etc heads out there . i don't have any extensive tech n test info at my disposal so i am just shooting from the hip with whatever info i have picked up from here and/or common sense - those heads are probably being held back by even a decently ported TA intake . a good SP intake may be the next logical step .
    i have stated all that before more or less - so i guess i am with GS on this basically .
    DEL EMERSON 1965 SPECIAL/350/MUNCIE M-21/9"
    "YA' CAN'T ALWAYS PUT OFF THINGS YA' WANNA' DO FOR THINGS YA' HAVE TA' DO!!
    GSCA#4436 BPG#1579

i agree about the intake might sell more faster but if there was some major builds with aluminum heads exspecially in some magazines will sell the ideas to others. look at edelbrock making buick 455 heads after TA and bulldog made heads and blocks. The big thing is a time line and specs on heads(flow,max valve size,combustion chamber size,rocker type, possible extra head bolts for boosted motors) . several people have made custom intakes and with aluminum heads in sure there will be more. I say do the heads and some make a Max 350 and get it into a magazine (helps if its one TA advertises in) . some will just max port TA intakes if they have too.
    I say do the heads (mostly cause i would like to see them on my car)
    Andy bridgeview,il
    65 special v6 daily driver-this needs to go faster possibly a 380 stroker.
    82 gn clone 455 12.50's on pump, soon trishield 464
    84 gn
    72 skylark convert#2 ,N-25

Make the heads first. Here's why.

Any GOOD engine builder should be able to fab up an intake. If you do make the intake first drop the exhaust cross over. Everybody plugs them anyway and who's going to use a 7000rpm intake in the snow? I would also like to see the air gap design used.
    Also, some one mentioned they could modify a TA stage1 intake to match flow with aluminum heads. You will NEVER modify a stock iron or TA stage1 intake to flow what a single plane will.

Make the heads with Stage 2 style exhaust ports, spread the valve centers 1/8" for larger valves( we can notch the bores like BB Chevy) use stud mount rockers. Leave plenty of material above the intake port to raise it if required. Raise the cover rails also.
    If you just make an aluminum version of the iron heads there will be very few sales. If I have to radically modify a aluminum head I'll just use iron heads and save the cost.

Thanks for listening Mike
    Steve Caruso
    Maker of reproduction N-25 exhaust hangers, chrome rally wheels, 68-72 Firewall grommet, MBM brake parts dealer.

72 GSX clone. Pure Stock 350 13.45@ 100mph
    72 Stage 1 SunCoupe In process
    70 GS race car In process
    50 Studebaker truck
    96 Roadmaster Collectors Edition wagon
    77 Chrysler Cordoba

Former rides,
    71 Riviera GS
    82 Regal woodie wagon

I have been waiting since 1994 for the Alum heads and that is the way I voted. I know this price tag could be as much as 3 grand and I will do what ever I have to do to get the money together for it. I am not getting any younger and if only the intake is built, it will take another ten years to get the Alum Heads.

Who is going to put a s/p intake on a stock engine or near that. Without ported heads it just wont live up to its full potential.

I hope more than 20 people will actually come up with the money to buy this piece. Maybe the question should be Are You ready to burn 3 grand or more. That is probably what the poll should ask. Anyone can say oooohhh I want the heads on the poll but are you ready to shell out the cash?

Yes, I am with you other guys that want the intake because this will help me right now but the heads being made now will get the intake to follow faster than just the intake being built and sitting here a few more years waiting for the heads.

The bottom line is, do not vote for the heads unless you are sure you are ready to shell out the serious bucks for them.

Lets get this done now before the damn economy crashes again. Shell out the cash and lets be done with this conversation!
    Bu Hogs Rock by Guy

355 Buick
    13.50@99 mph motor
    13.31@100 best
    11.81@114 mph 125 shot nitrous
    12.42 @105 mph 75 shot
    200-4r trans 3000 stall 373 gears
    H-O Racing suspension
    Mid 12 sec Nitrous run 80 hp shot https://youtu.be/49JqjgpygUQ

With 350 trans 11.87@112, 125 shot nitrous 3500 stall
    With 200-4r trans 11.81 @ 114 Same shot 3000 stall w/lockup
    417hp 463tq rwhp w/125 nitrous shot. On motor 284 hp 310 tq. rwp