View Poll Results: Which would you like to see made first for Purchase

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • AL Heads

106 86.89%
  • AL Single-plane Intake

16 13.11%
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Default Re: TA Aluminum Intake OR ALuminum Heads(this is for real)

Hey Mike. Can't help you any on this one. For the BritishV8 market the 350 Buick isn't likely to gain much if any support. Based on my experience with the 340 it is just big enough to cause problems that the 300 does not have and the 300 can be stroked to 350 cid easily. So there is no advantage, and there are no headers for the 350, where everything needed for the 215 through 340 and all Rovers is widely available. The difference between the work needed to fit a 350 and a 455 is almost nothing as well, but just about anyone considering either of those swaps is more likely to choose the Chevy LS instead for fairly obvious reasons since the work involved is the same.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I know you've sold a few sets of Rover heads to the BritishV8 market and from all appearances they should continue to do well there, especially on the larger displacement builds. But I wouldn't count on any 350 sales there.

Jim

How many SBC engines are out there making 550+ hp with dual plane intakes? lots! With good heads the TA intake will work well. The current issue is the heads lack flow and the TA intake is not adding enough flow to the heads. Add good heads and all that changes and we can make power without boost. The hardcore guys will just build a aftermarket intake.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    My book called Small Block Buick Performance covering the V6, 215, 300, 340, and Buick 350 engines will be released soon.

http://www.v8buick.com/forumdisplay....rformance-Book
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    1970 Buick Skylark Turbo 350 street/strip

Quote Originally Posted by 300sbb_overkill View Post
    If an air gap is going to add cost,wouldn't an ex. crossover?

Besides I would guess that very few people would drive their old Buick up here in the salt belt in the winter. If someone did,they would probably have a stock or TA D/P intake on it. So if you're trying to keep the cost down,then leave out the ex. crossover. Unless it saves $$ because the D/P tooling is being used to make the S/P,then no big deal,go ahead and leave it in if it makes it less expensive.

Derek
    The air gap will be a large core plus I still need to have a heat cross over. Even with temps in the 40's - 50's heat in the intake will be beneficial.
    Mike Tomaszewski
    TA Performance Products Inc.
    www.taperformance.com
    480-922-6807

Quote Originally Posted by TA Perf View Post
    The air gap will be a large core plus I still need to have a heat cross over. Even with temps in the 40's - 50's heat in the intake will be beneficial.
    Kind of curious if you and Ken Betts was still collaborating on heads
    Mike aka BiZnO
    72 twinturbo Skylark

Buick 350 Inspirational members to me..
    TuBBeD for his 551+ N/A build
    BillMah52 First to take a 350 where no man has gone before
    Justa350 First to hang a pair of turbos and cause Kaos
    GSJohnny First to max out the bore at .090 and his .075 and have engines that actually breath well N/A!
    Bobb Makley First well known to Stroke a 350
    Ken Betts, Hopefully the guy to pull-off 350 AL heads :-D

Quote Originally Posted by TA Perf View Post
    Well its not a problem with other engines,there will still be hot coolant from the thermostat housing crossover and heat transfer from the heads disapating enough heat even for 40 and 50 degree temps. Its not a Nail Head intake that has zero coolant running through it.

But like I said,if you're going to use the D/P tooling and it would cost more to take it out,then leave it in. But if you're starting from scratch on the tooling then just leave it out,because most people that do a performance build block those holes anyway. It especially doesn't need to be there if the intake will not be a "air gap" style intake,and would not be beneficial,especially if it puts more cost into it.

Derek
    64 Skylark,401 Nailhead,ST400,3.23:1Posi
    64 Skylark,305Vortec sbc,700R4,12blt Posi 3.73,low 14s. A sbb 300 stroker planned for it.
    72 Skylark Convert. in progress, Not yet assembled 455 .020 over,70 heads with stage1 valves,gasket matched and bowl blended,transmission to be determined.
    65 Chevy Impala,4,400lbs,383sbc,700R4,3.07posi,1.80 60' foot time low 13s @101mph,15mpg city,24mpg highway

Think simple... Leave the crossover :-) if a person doesn't want it let them plug the heads. Accept maybe allow for screw in pipe plugs that can be removed :-) now lets get one of these projects going...
    Sent from the dust in front of you!

Easy answer here. HEADS.... get m Done!
    Buick #455

I would also think that the new aluminum heads wouldn't need the ex. crossover ports in them either. They really aren't nessasary,the General did away with the ex. crossovers on the sbc Vortec with a plastic intake and it run just fine without them. That would help simplify the heads,and cut the costs down slightly,and save people from having to plug them. And the heads before those only had them for an EGR valve for emissions.

Derek
    64 Skylark,305Vortec sbc,700R4,12blt Posi 3.73,low 14s. A sbb 300 stroker planned for it.
    72 Skylark Convert. in progress, Not yet assembled 455 .020 over,70 heads with stage1 valves,gasket matched and bowl blended,transmission to be determined.
    65 Chevy Impala,4,400lbs,383sbc,700R4,3.07posi,1.80 60' foot time low 13s @101mph,15mpg city,24mpg highway

I would also think that the new aluminum heads wouldn't need the ex. crossover ports in them either. They really aren't nessasary,the General did away with the ex. crossovers on the sbc Vortec with a plastic intake and it run just fine without them. That would help simplify the heads,and cut the costs down slightly,and save people from having to plug them. And the heads before those only had them for an EGR valve for emissions.

Derek
    The Vortec intake only flows air not fuel that is why it has no need for heat... Any carbed intake should have heat to it and if a person wants to block it off they can do that.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    My book called Small Block Buick Performance covering the V6, 215, 300, 340, and Buick 350 engines will be released soon.

http://www.v8buick.com/forumdisplay....rformance-Book
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    1970 Buick Skylark Turbo 350 street/strip

the general and vortec are chevy items. we do buicks here.

Quote Originally Posted by gsjohnny1 View Post
    haha wheres the like button

any route is a good route as its a part we never had prior. i'll by either one or both when avail even if i have to whip out a CC..

if you(TA) do go s/p intake hope Ken can do the Heads that'll make EVERYONE happy ..except the mopar guys ;-)
    Mike aka BiZnO
    72 twinturbo Skylark

GSJohnny First to max out the bore at .090 and his .075 and have engines that actually breath well N/A!

What are the plans for the head? Are they going to be the same as stock or be modified? It would be awesome to integrate Chevy rockers as that opens up options. How about the bowl area and runners. Will those be like stock?
    Sent from the dust in front of you!

Quote Originally Posted by sean Buick 76 View Post
    The Vortec intake only flows air not fuel that is why it has no need for heat... Any carbed intake should have heat to it and if a person wants to block it off they can do that.
    My carburated aluminum headed(no ex. crossover ports in the after market heads) sbc 383 Edelbrock RPM Air Gap Vortec style intake runs just fine without an ex. crossover. Intake still gets very hot,so hot that you wouldn't be able to hold your hand on it for more than a couple of seconds when the engine is up to its running temp. It runs a little rough until it heats up in cold weather but I'm not running a choke,it runs great after about 5 mins of drive time.(with only a 180 degree thremostat) Even my carbed 305 Vortec with factory cast iron heads with a Edelbrock RPM Air Gap intake runs without a problem in the cold that I used as a daily driver through the winter beause everything else I had was broke down at the time.

I drive my 65 Impala as a daily driver up until it snows because of salt not because of the cold(heat works very good in that car),I just put it away 2 weeks ago. Most other brand high end after market heads don't have ex. crossover ports,why would a after market sbb Buick head need it? It doesn't because of the heat disapation from the aluminum heads the heat from the combustion chamber will disapate through the heads very fast to the intake(especially an aluminum intake),cast iron holds more heat in and will heat the intake slightly slower and even slower for an cast iron intake. Added to the heating effect is the thermostat housing crossover that heat disapates to the intake from the coolant also. A sbb having a shorter bore center than other brands engines would allow the disapated heat to travel faster to the rear of the engine than others too.

So is Mike saying he is just wants to make an intake for cast iron heads for low performing sbb 350s?(that most people doing a performance build plug the crossover holes in the cast iron heads anyway) Like Steve said,"who is going to use a 7,000 RPM intake in the snow?"

And if someone wanted to drive that engine in the very cold and is having trouble with not enough heat in the intake,take the 160 degree thremostat out and put a 195 degree in it.(which should be at least a 180 in there if they are driving in the very cold anyway)

Just throwing it out there what other brands do and its not just sbc that deletes the ex. crossover either. Besides if its an air gap style intake what good would it be to heat the base under the intake that doesn't touch the runners?

Derek

---------- Post added at 12:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by gsjohnny1 View Post
    Sorry,I build them all.

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by alan View Post
    My 2 cent input is, you can fab an intake a lot easier than a set of heads!
    X2, I know Mark Burton (and maybe others) had made a couple sheet metal intakes for the 350. No one has made aluminum heads for the 350.These are facts.I would've stayed with my 350 if there was the possibility of aluminum heads. Big flow out of the box with 70 lbs removed would have kept me interested.
    Andrew
    1972 Skylark 350-2
    ...464...coming soon to a Buick near me.

Cast the intake with Fuel injection ports so we can bring these engines into the 21st centry. Then you will sell more intakes and this could become real fun.
    Dan

I have not talked to Mike about the 350 head specifically lately, but hope to have a port after the first of the year in Jan. When it is done I will give the results to Mike. One way or the other it is time for a big 350 head. This can happen with enough help from those interested. Hang in there and see how close we can get in the next 6 weeks.

Derek
    Some heat will be needed to help atomize the fuel unless you are prepared to up your pump shot a lot to make up for all of this and you will have to have larger jets because it will need more gas. People can plug the holes if they want to go all race.
    Bu Hogs Rock by Guy

355 Buick
    13.50@99 mph motor
    13.31@100 best
    11.81@114 mph 125 shot nitrous
    12.42 @105 mph 75 shot
    200-4r trans 3000 stall 373 gears
    H-O Racing suspension
    Mid 12 sec Nitrous run 80 hp shot https://youtu.be/49JqjgpygUQ

With 350 trans 11.87@112, 125 shot nitrous 3500 stall
    With 200-4r trans 11.81 @ 114 Same shot 3000 stall w/lockup
    417hp 463tq rwhp w/125 nitrous shot. On motor 284 hp 310 tq. rwp

Quote Originally Posted by ken betts View Post
    I have not talked to Mike about the 350 head specifically lately, but hope to have a port after the first of the year in Jan. When it is done I will give the results to Mike. One way or the other it is time for a big 350 head. This can happen with enough help from those interested. Hang in there and see how close we can get in the next 6 weeks.

Thanks for the "heads" up info :-D
    Mike aka BiZnO
    72 twinturbo Skylark

Quote Originally Posted by alan View Post
    My 2 cent input is, you can fab an intake a lot easier than a set of heads!
    x3

HEADS! Don't copy the iron heads like the iron intake was. Make them FLOW, larger valves, smaller stems, and save serious weight!
    Roller cam vid....
    https://youtu.be/XOOTINTA1DA
    Another vid, this May.....
    https://youtu.be/0v0TgH4cTPc

71 GS 350, 2004r, JW 3,200 stall, TRW Forged .030, Ported T/A intake, 830HP Holley , Hooker supers, 2-1/2" Amer.Thunder thru N25's, 410 posi, F41, Full MSD ign. T/A Roller Cam,1.6 roller rockers, big valves, bronze guides,& fully ported heads. Fun street car. Platnum mist with blk. top and interior. Owned it since '76.

Marty.

I believe they will use their experience with 455 heads to make the 350 heads a very good flowing head.
    Andy bridgeview,il
    65 special v6 daily driver-this needs to go faster possibly a 380 stroker.
    82 gn clone 455 12.50's on pump, soon trishield 464
    84 gn
    72 skylark convert#2 ,N-25

heads heads heads!!!

If the intake is set up with injector ports and is actually used with fuel injection then the crossover ports are certainly not needed and probably not wanted. But presumably they can be plugged if they are there. So it sounds like the sensible thing to do is to at least cast the intake with the injector bosses in place, whether machined or not, and make the crossover ports so that they can be easily plugged, perhaps with a screw in type socket head pipe plug, even if the rough cast hole has to be tapped first. That way the intake can be configured however the builder wants it.

Rover intakes angle the injector towards the valve but most aftermarket intakes today fire them straight down, which leaves more room for a 4bbl throttle body and linkages.

Jim

Bump
    Mike aka BiZnO
    72 twinturbo Skylark

An estimated timeline on either would be nice .for those planning a build soon.
    Andy bridgeview,il
    65 special v6 daily driver-this needs to go faster possibly a 380 stroker.
    82 gn clone 455 12.50's on pump, soon trishield 464
    84 gn
    72 skylark convert#2 ,N-25

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast