View Poll Results: Which would you like to see made first for Purchase

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • AL Heads

106 86.89%
  • AL Single-plane Intake

16 13.11%
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Default Re: TA Aluminum Intake OR ALuminum Heads(this is for real)

Come on guys, we need more than 41 wanting these heads. Does anyone realize that I ran an 11.81 with just a 125 shot of nitrous with just a 500 lift cam with a 230-245 dur at.050 and my heads only flow at 235 and 176. A head that flows at about 300 will shoot us pretty far.

You know you stock guys can use these heads too you do not have to put a single plane intake on these heads to have the car run well. You can stay basically stock and the car will run like a madman. The slightly larger 212 cam with the Alum heads will rock that car...Even with the standard TA intake.

We have been waiting 10 years for this now lets pump it up!

I had 395 hp from 5900-6100rpm with a TA510 cam, just think that same cam with Alum heads that flow 300 cfm instead of my now flowing 235 cfm heads.
    Bu Hogs Rock by Guy

355 Buick
    13.50@99 mph motor
    13.31@100 best
    11.81@114 mph 125 shot nitrous
    12.42 @105 mph 75 shot
    200-4r trans 3000 stall 373 gears
    H-O Racing suspension
    Mid 12 sec Nitrous run 80 hp shot https://youtu.be/49JqjgpygUQ

With 350 trans 11.87@112, 125 shot nitrous 3500 stall
    With 200-4r trans 11.81 @ 114 Same shot 3000 stall w/lockup
    417hp 463tq rwhp w/125 nitrous shot. On motor 284 hp 310 tq. rwp

Quote Originally Posted by Fox's Den View Post
    Stock guys can use these heads too you do not have to put a single plane intake on these heads to have the car run well. You can stay basically stock and the car will run like a madman. The slightly larger 212 cam with the Alum heads will rock that car...Even with the standard TA intake.

That's what I'm after. More power on tap if you want it, but more than enough with an otherwise mild engine.
    Logan A.
    1972 Skylark GS clone

Cool Re: TA Aluminum Intake OR ALuminum Heads(this is for real)

If you build it ,he will come. I'm sure there are people not on this board that will purchase these when people find out they are available. I am close to having my irons done to flow over 280 for a possible 450plus build .so now its wait and see or do without
    Andy bridgeview,il
    65 special v6 daily driver-this needs to go faster possibly a 380 stroker.
    82 gn clone 455 12.50's on pump, soon trishield 464
    84 gn
    72 skylark convert#2 ,N-25

Quote Originally Posted by alec296 View Post
    If you build it ,he will come. I'm sure there are people not on this board that will purchase these when people find out they are available. I am close to having my irons done to flow over 280 for a possible 450plus build .so now its wait and see or do without
    This is true. I've had my 1970 buick since 1998 with the 350. Put the car in storage and spent my money on "easy" toys to build. If there is no perfomance parts..ie heads, then you don't play with a small CID. Now it's 2013 about to be 2014, and there isn't a head. I've followed this site since about 2003 and joined in 2008 just to see the pics. I honesty like my Chevy's, cause I can go fast with a small block. Can't do that with iron head buick. Don't tell me to port, I don't port, I'm too lazy to do that. Becaused I'm spoiled by the Alum. chevy heads I've had....
    Head or not, I will try to remain buick powered or just do the 455. Or the "easy" route LS1 and move on

Hear that guys, forget the single plane and get those alum heads made.

But if TA just wants to make the single plane first, it won't hurt my feelings any I will just buy it and see how well it works.
    Last edited by Fox's Den; 12-23-2013 at 04:42 PM.
    Bu Hogs Rock by Guy

355 Buick
    13.50@99 mph motor
    13.31@100 best
    12.42 @105 mph 75 shot
    H-O Racing suspension

I've been watching this thread since it started but didn't vote until today.

I voted heads.

I've finally settled on the mill that will power my 60 Invicta Wagon and it's going to be a SBB 350. The plan is a full roller valvetrain, aluminum heads (if available), EFI and
    a single turbo. Due to the possibility of needing a custom intake anyhow to incorporate the EFI/Turbo/ stock hood, I voted heads.

This project will be started next summer and take a few years to complete. However, I'd purchase the heads immediately once told they were available.
    Aubrey Anthony
    69' GS 400 Stage 1
    60' Invicta Wagon
    59' Ford F250

I vote aluminum heads.

I've always been a fan of the 350 - As we know, it's a great engine (and lighter than a SBC). My first vehicle was a 1970 Jeep Wagoneer with a factory Buick 350 and much to my dismay, I quickly found that I couldn't get a 4BBL intake. I sold my mildly built GS 350 (.030 over, Hypereutectic Pistons, Poston Intake, Hooker Headers, ported heads, KB Cam, true 10.5:1 comp., ARP fasteners, '73 Rods, balanced & blueprinted). I spent the money at the time on porting the heads and if I remember correctly, oversize valves. I even bought a BHJ Honing Plate (I still have it - I couldn't believe they had one in stock & they were probably really happy to get rid of it)...I definitely would have ponied up the $ for Alum heads at the time and this gets me psyched to get another GS 350 & build another 350 engine - I was going to sell the Honing Plate but maybe I'll hang onto it. I don't have the $ right now (wouldn't have sold the car if I didn't need the $ at the time and things aren't much better now) but might need to find the $ if these become available and let them sit until I get another car, so reluctantly I'll go ahead and vote.My initial thought too was intake, but I think the heads make more sense.

For anyone who doesn't remember, I think Mike T. is an old (no offence Mike) 350 guy - If I remember correctly, his 350 powered '68 wagon used to be pictured inside the back cover of the old KB catalogs and I think he was running 11's back in the early 80's. I can't imagine if the heads get done that an SP intake won't follow, but can imagine the reverse if the intake were a flop and as noted in here, the intake can be made if need be and probably isn't of nearly as much use w/o heads. Of course Mike's in business to make a buck and I'm sure that despite a personal desire to do the project, he doesn't want to lose his butt on it either. As in most businesses, there are limited resources to develop a multitude of projects in the pipeline and you have to choose what's going to give you the best bang for the buck (i.e. 455's and V-6's), so be patient. Mike sounds committed to this project sooner or later.

If the heads are built, please don't use Chevrolet rockers. I doubt TA would use them anyway, but I hate stud rockers. Buick shaft rockers are more durable and 100 times to take on and off. Loved the TA roller rockers I used to have, very nice pieces. Much nicer than junk stud rockers.
    Cason P.
    71 Skylark 350-4V
    Hooker Headers
    Ken G. 1973 Q-Jet
    D5 GN Converter/200R4
    3.42 Posi Rear
    In Development:
    Either this Car kills me, or I kill the car first!

I'd like to have adjustable valve lash... Not via shims
    Sent from the dust in front of you!

I vote for heads street and track, and intake! Does that count?????

Quote Originally Posted by 69GSCAL View Post
    I've been watching this thread since it started but didn't vote until today.

I voted heads.

I've finally settled on the mill that will power my 60 Invicta Wagon and it's going to be a SBB 350. The plan is a full roller valvetrain, aluminum heads (if available), EFI and
    a single turbo. Due to the possibility of needing a custom intake anyhow to incorporate the EFI/Turbo/ stock hood, I voted heads.

This project will be started next summer and take a few years to complete. However, I'd purchase the heads immediately once told they were available.
    I voted heads also. Heads are where it's at. The intake can come later, if it comes at all. Intakes can be fabricated but heads can't.

Good flowing aluminum heads, dual plane TA intake, headers, and a nice mild roller cam and these 350's will start getting more popular. Stock heads and cams are nice for an every day all-around cruiser to putt around in, but putting fuel injection on a well breathing 350 with a high lift roller cam will transform it into quite the beast, even with a smooth-idling N/A engine.

Imagine the weight savings one of these engines will have over everything else aside from a v6...

Gary

I am excited to get some alum. heads for the 350, I think it will be a HUGE step towards aftermarket parts availability!
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    My book called Small Block Buick Performance covering the V6, 215, 300, 340, and Buick 350 engines will be released soon.

http://www.v8buick.com/forumdisplay....rformance-Book
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    1970 Buick Skylark Turbo 350 street/strip

The score is 56 to 9 in favor of heads so far,will this be enough for TA to decide to make them or not?

Derek
    64 Skylark,401 Nailhead,ST400,3.23:1Posi
    64 Skylark,305Vortec sbc,700R4,12blt Posi 3.73,low 14s. A sbb 300 stroker planned for it.
    72 Skylark Convert. in progress, Not yet assembled 455 .020 over,70 heads with stage1 valves,gasket matched and bowl blended,transmission to be determined.
    65 Chevy Impala,4,400lbs,383sbc,700R4,3.07posi,1.80 60' foot time low 13s @101mph,15mpg city,24mpg highway

Quote Originally Posted by 300sbb_overkill View Post
    The score is 55 to 9 in favor of heads so far,will this be enough for TA to decide to make them or not?

Derek
    the question should be do 55 have the money to buy them when and if they are made. not being a pessimist, but I've seen enough crying about prices here. I've invested about 15k for my engine, not including the cars and machines for the 350 I bought over the past years, so heads prices mean little to me. somebody tell me I'm crazy for doing this...lol

We're all crazy for building 350 Buick engines. It's the challenge of making something more than it should be.
    For what the aluminum heads will cost you can buy a Chevy crate 350 with 400HP. Where's the challenge in that?
    I've been racing my 350 car in the Pure Stock races for 13-14 years. Almost every year I get paired with big block cars. 429 Torinos, 400 GTO's. They are always surprised that my car is 350 powered not 455.
    Steve Caruso
    Maker of reproduction N-25 exhaust hangers, chrome rally wheels, 68-72 Firewall grommet, MBM brake parts dealer.

72 GSX clone. Pure Stock 350 13.45@ 100mph
    72 Stage 1 SunCoupe In process
    70 GS race car In process
    50 Studebaker truck
    96 Roadmaster Collectors Edition wagon
    77 Chrysler Cordoba

Former rides,
    71 Riviera GS
    82 Regal woodie wagon

Quote Originally Posted by gsjohnny1 View Post
    the question should be do 55 have the money to buy them when and if they are made. not being a pessimist, but I've seen enough crying about prices here. I've invested about 15k for my engine, not including the cars and machines for the 350 I bought over the past years, so heads prices mean little to me. somebody tell me I'm crazy for doing this...lol
    Happy New Year Johnny!

Do 55 people have the $$ for 350 heads,I would say yes,are they all from v8buick.com,probably not.

There are a whole lot of sbb 350 owners that don't know about this site,and aren't even aware that TA performance exists.

I would imagine if TA did a marketing campaign by doing a couple of sbb 350 engine builds in various magazines showcasing the power potenial of the sbb 350,buyers would show up.(and of coarse buy some advertising space in those mags as well)

And in those articles disclosing the weight of the engine with an all aluminum top end on it a whole lot of interest would be stirred. An engine that can make over 500 reliable streetable HP that weighs under 400lbs(it would probably make the cover) would peak the interest of a whole lot of people willing to fork over the cash for a set of heads. They would sell a lot of intakes as well,and then come out with the S/P intake a lot of those people will upgrade to those.

They just need to get the word out,thats the hard part.

Derek

---------- Post added at 10:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERDOG350 View Post
    We're all crazy for building 350 Buick engines. It's the challenge of making something more than it should be.
    For what the aluminum heads will cost you can buy a Chevy crate 350 with 400HP. Where's the challenge in that?
    I've been racing my 350 car in the Pure Stock races for 13-14 years. Almost every year I get paired with big block cars. 429 Torinos, 400 GTO's. They are always surprised that my car is 350 powered not 455.
    Happy New Year to you to Steve!
    64 Skylark,401 Nailhead,ST400,3.23:1Posi
    64 Skylark,305Vortec sbc,700R4,12blt Posi 3.73,low 14s. A sbb 300 stroker planned for it.
    72 Skylark Convert. in progress, Not yet assembled 455 .020 over,70 heads with stage1 valves,gasket matched and bowl blended,transmission to be determined.
    65 Chevy Impala,4,400lbs,383sbc,700R4,3.07posi,1.80 60' foot time low 13s @101mph,15mpg city,24mpg highway

Can we speculate on price? What are we talking here...$1500?
    V/R,
    Ben

70 Buick Skylark Custom 350/th350, .040 over, TA SP3 Intake, TA_290-94H cam, TA valve springs, garage ported heads, Doug's Headers, 2.5" Flowmaster exhaust, Proform 750 double pumper carb, 2400 stall, Mallory electronic ignition, 4-wheel disc brake conversion, Willwood twin piston calipers, BMR Level 3 Suspension Handling Package, QA1 coil-overs, Quick ratio steering, 8.5 3.42 posi, 18x9.5 rear wheels 18x8 front wheels & RUSTOLIUM RATTLE CAN PAINT JOB!

Quote Originally Posted by blyons79 View Post
    Can we speculate on price? What are we talking here...$1500?
    One thing for sure is the price will not be less than the BBB heads. Whoever ends up making these things is going to risk selling a lot less heads than the 455's over the years. I would speculate 2000.00 to 2500.00 bare ready for parts. You can buy cheap chevy heads because more than a million have been made. Ask TA, Bulldog and Edelbrock how many sets of 455 heads they have made. Now guess how many 350 Sbb heads could be sold. I would love to see the heads now. Lets see if we all can make this happen!

If you're looking at the heads purely from a business/profit viewpoint, it's a big risk. Everything's a risk. You just have to try your best to go with the most favorable odds. The Buick 350's popularity may take off like a rocket after the heads are made, providing there's some marketing involved...but the pricetag may keep people buying Chevy stuff, and those who already have a nice set of ported Buick 350 heads may just keep what they have.

It's a risk. No doubt about it. May not break even on it until a couple of years go by.

But we all know it's more than just profit. Sure that matters, but equally important is the engine itself and how the Buick community would benefit from this sort of attention. Problem is getting the money up to at least break even on the casting costs and engineering. If enough people put up deposits to get the ball rolling, then paid the rest when the heads were done, it would be a good start.

This affects not just the SBB community. There's a lot of people out there who went the path of the big block because of aftermarket support (not all did, of course, but some DID). I believe that with a set of good flowing aluminum heads, you'll see more than just SBB fans take interest. Maybe even those who may not have been interested in Buicks at all.

But then that will drive up the cost of 350 cores, and increase the scarcity, which isn't in my personal best interest, though I would rather see that than the Buick 350 fade into obscurity.

Same thing with the Buick 350 shorty headers. With aluminum heads, those headers will be in even more demand (if you could call it that).

It's all a risk, but something tells me everyone is going to be pleasantly surprised, particularly the one who makes the parts.

That's just my hunch. Could be wrong. Hope I'm not.

Cost wise, they'll be about the same as big block heads. Bare castings around 1700+, fully assembled 2500+. Or something along those lines.

Gary

Head prices can always be lowered at anytime or raised. "Supply and demand"

I've been racing my 350 car in the Pure Stock races for 13-14 years. Almost every year I get paired with big block cars. 429 Torinos, 400 GTO's.

"They are always surprised that my car is 350 powered not 455."
    I Get the same problem when I go to the track.
    Bu Hogs Rock by Guy

355 Buick
    13.50@99 mph motor
    13.31@100 best
    12.42 @105 mph 75 shot
    H-O Racing suspension

Quote Originally Posted by Fox's Den View Post
    I Get the same problem when I go to the track.
    The factory 350-4 I had in my '68 Lesabre ran so well (non-Buick) people swore it was the 'Wildcat engine' (430) lol...

---------- Post added at 02:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 PM ----------

This is why when Steve talks, I listen.

I would "hope" that if TA came out with the Aluminum Head and/ or SP Intake, that the demand for their other SBB parts would increase. ie, They'd see an increase in orders
    for Cams/ Lifters, Timing Covers, Headers etc.

If so, perhaps the return on investment could be slightly quicker than we initially suspect.

It would seem to make sense that those spending the $ on a set of these parts wouldn't want to run them with a stock cam and exhaust manifolds.
    Aubrey Anthony
    69' GS 400 Stage 1
    60' Invicta Wagon
    59' Ford F250

Quote Originally Posted by 69GSCAL View Post
    I would "hope" that if TA came out with the Aluminum Head and/ or SP Intake, that the demand for their other SBB parts would increase. ie, They'd see an increase in orders
    for Cams/ Lifters, Timing Covers, Headers etc.

If so, perhaps the return on investment could be slightly quicker than we initially suspect.

It would seem to make sense that those spending the $ on a set of these parts wouldn't want to run them with a stock cam and exhaust manifolds.
    I agree but I see constantly on this site where someone buys one thing from TA and another part that TA sell from somewhere else. I see this especially true for cams. Mike has cams that are literally a few HP apart. Except for specialty cams he has or can make anything you want. I would only hope it would increase other sales. Mike builds lots of motors and I think they go out with all his parts. This would be a great argument for a 350 aluminum block with offset bores just enough for 4" bores!

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast