View Poll Results: Which would you like to see made first for Purchase

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • AL Heads

106 86.89%
  • AL Single-plane Intake

16 13.11%
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Default Re: TA Aluminum Intake OR ALuminum Heads(this is for real)

my best guess on ball park pricing would be
    $2795.00. fully assembled and 1500 bare casting as the rover project was the most recent product they took on that relates to this topic

im sure it'll take a year min to get these out the door possibly 2
    so more then enough time to save up 3k
    or at least 1500 and put the remainder on CC lol
    Mike aka BiZnO
    72 twinturbo Skylark

Buick 350 Inspirational members to me..
    TuBBeD for his 551+ N/A build
    BillMah52 First to take a 350 where no man has gone before
    Justa350 First to hang a pair of turbos and cause Kaos
    GSJohnny First to max out the bore at .090 and his .075 and have engines that actually breath well N/A!
    Bobb Makley First well known to Stroke a 350
    Ken Betts, Hopefully the guy to pull-off 350 AL heads :-D

Quote Originally Posted by Nothingface5384 View Post
    my best guess on ball park pricing would be
    $2795.00. fully assembled and 1500 bare casting as the rover project was the most recent product they took on that relates to this topic

im sure it'll take a year min to get these out the door possibly 2
    so more then enough time to save up 3k
    or at least 1500 and put the remainder on CC lol
    I agree they could be in that price range, the Buick / Rover motor has been built for over 40 years and I believe it was just dropped for a new design motor. I don't care so much about price because if they cost too much only a few will buy them. As far as time. They could be ready to bolt on in a few months. Its all about time and money. We will have a good adea just how much a new head will flow in a few weeks. If not for several 455 projects we would know by now. Sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by ken betts View Post
    I agree they could be in that price range, the Buick / Rover motor has been built for over 40 years and I believe it was just dropped for a new design motor. I don't care so much about price because if they cost too much only a few will buy them. As far as time. They could be ready to bolt on in a few months. Its all about time and money. We will have a good adea just how much a new head will flow in a few weeks. If not for several 455 projects we would know by now. Sorry!
    im not worried about price if its made i'll buy it
    and good deal few months sounds badd ass
    Mike aka BiZnO
    72 twinturbo Skylark

GSJohnny First to max out the bore at .090 and his .075 and have engines that actually breath well N/A!

Happy New Year all.
    I have not read every single post here but have read most. In my opinion I feel the single plane intake should be the first project. This would generate sales to help support the cylinder head. Sherri on the other hand is on most of your sides, she votes heads. And if you know Sherri its a surprise to get any vote when it comes to new projects. Enough of you must have expressed interest to her & Tim over the years. The direction I'm thinking of taking should excite most. All details have not been worked out just yet but are in process, cost, design, time line etc. If things go the way I would like, I'm going to try and get both in the works. To answer just a few questions in regards to design. As fare as rockers, I like the Buick design so I may build the head to support a bolt down rocker tower bar which would allow the use of stock Buick rockers and TA roller rockers. Remove the bar and you could install studs, guide plates and Chevy rockers. Intake leaning toward air gap SP-1 style.
    Mike Tomaszewski
    TA Performance Products Inc.
    www.taperformance.com
    480-922-6807

:tu::tu:

Haha I had a feeling both would be in the works from your stand on intake and Ken about the heads

oh happy day ...Oh happy day

P's like that you said air gap..and the modular idea for ta rockers or chevy stud plate is genius idea
    Mike aka BiZnO
    72 twinturbo Skylark

P's like that you said air gap..and the modular idea for ta rockers or chevy stud plate is genius idea
    It will add to design time and cost. I'm already into a build and might not help me any.
    Andy bridgeview,il
    65 special v6 daily driver-this needs to go faster possibly a 380 stroker.
    82 gn clone 455 12.50's on pump, soon trishield 464
    84 gn
    72 skylark convert#2 ,N-25

Quote Originally Posted by alec296 View Post
    It will add to design time and cost. I'm already into a build and might not help me any.
    It will be alright because that is how the Rover heads are already,able to use TA shaft rockers and sbc stud mounted rockers with TA guide plates,so design shouldn't be that difficult because they already done it on the other heads.

It would be really cool if they made the heads as a stage 2 design with sbc style ex flanges to be able to use sbc headers. With hundreds of styles of sbc headers available already it would make these heads adaptable to many cars right out of the box. The factory 350 Buick ex flanges are so close to a sbc already it would make these much easier to market? And make an adpater to run Buick headers that people already have.(just a thought,would be a lot easier because it would be very difficult for TA to make a header for all the body styles that are already available for small block chebbies,an make it easier to swap out that sbc for a sbb that the ex would already fit!)

And a whole lot easier to put a turbo on with a sbc turbo kit.

Derek
    64 Skylark,401 Nailhead,ST400,3.23:1Posi
    64 Skylark,305Vortec sbc,700R4,12blt Posi 3.73,low 14s. A sbb 300 stroker planned for it.
    72 Skylark Convert. in progress, Not yet assembled 455 .020 over,70 heads with stage1 valves,gasket matched and bowl blended,transmission to be determined.
    65 Chevy Impala,4,400lbs,383sbc,700R4,3.07posi,1.80 60' foot time low 13s @101mph,15mpg city,24mpg highway

Quote Originally Posted by 300sbb_overkill View Post
    It will be alright because that is how the Rover heads are already,able to use TA shaft rockers and sbc stud mounted rockers with TA guide plates,so design shouldn't be that difficult because they already done it on the other heads.

It would be really cool if they made the heads as a stage 2 design with sbc style ex flanges to be able to use sbc headers. With hundreds of styles of sbc headers available already it would make these heads adaptable to many cars right out of the box. The factory 350 Buick ex flanges are so close to a sbc already it would make these much easier to market? And make an adpater to run Buick headers that people already have.(just a thought,would be a lot easier because it would be very difficult for TA to make a header for all the body styles that are already available for small block chebbies,an make it easier to swap out that sbc for a sbb that the ex would already fit!)

And a whole lot easier to put a turbo on with a sbc turbo kit.

Derek
    Sounds cool, but wouldnt an adapter further push the headers out, and DS header is already tight fit!
    with that being said Im all for an idea if it makes a product more versatile and gives customers more options
    Mike aka BiZnO
    72 twinturbo Skylark

Sounds cool, but wouldnt an adapter further push the headers out, and DS header is already tight fit!
    with that being said Im all for an idea if it makes a product more versatile and gives customers more options
    If it is a stage 2 type of head the ex flange would be cut back farther,and an adapter to run regular Buick header would push the flange closer to the stock position.

Derek
    64 Skylark,305Vortec sbc,700R4,12blt Posi 3.73,low 14s. A sbb 300 stroker planned for it.
    72 Skylark Convert. in progress, Not yet assembled 455 .020 over,70 heads with stage1 valves,gasket matched and bowl blended,transmission to be determined.
    65 Chevy Impala,4,400lbs,383sbc,700R4,3.07posi,1.80 60' foot time low 13s @101mph,15mpg city,24mpg highway

That's a really good idea Derek.

Gary

Great news!

When the heads come out then people can bolt on performance finally!

With twin turbos the new heads will make some SERIOUS street friendly power!
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    My book called Small Block Buick Performance covering the V6, 215, 300, 340, and Buick 350 engines will be released soon.

http://www.v8buick.com/forumdisplay....rformance-Book
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    1970 Buick Skylark Turbo 350 street/strip

downside to what everybody wants is that nhra buicks can't use them. lot of those out there.

Quote Originally Posted by gsjohnny1 View Post
    downside to what everybody wants is that nhra buicks can't use them. lot of those out there.
    You are right and I bet that Mike builds the intake first regardless of how many people want the heads first. This will please the NHRA guys first and some of us will buy the intake also. This I am sure will help shore up the funding for the head project. I do think if this is a for sure thing that both pieces will come out within 1 year of each other.

Right now about 59 want the heads first and more than likely about 1/2 will actually buy them at around roughly 3 grand apiece, that will be about 90 grand. That will probably just pay for setting up and producing the first 30 heads, maybe. I am just guessing I could be way off but you get the picture.

Now if we get you Hot Rod Buick guys to buy 30 intakes...first...
    Bu Hogs Rock by Guy

355 Buick
    13.50@99 mph motor
    13.31@100 best
    11.81@114 mph 125 shot nitrous
    12.42 @105 mph 75 shot
    200-4r trans 3000 stall 373 gears
    H-O Racing suspension
    Mid 12 sec Nitrous run 80 hp shot https://youtu.be/49JqjgpygUQ

With 350 trans 11.87@112, 125 shot nitrous 3500 stall
    With 200-4r trans 11.81 @ 114 Same shot 3000 stall w/lockup
    417hp 463tq rwhp w/125 nitrous shot. On motor 284 hp 310 tq. rwp

Plus doing what Derek suggested and making the aluminum heads 'Stage2' heads with identical exhaust port bolt patterns as the SBC, the header problem is solved in one fell swoop...and everyone who buys a set of these heads, regardless of exhaust pattern design, are going to want to use headers. Why not make it easier on them and give them a huge selection right out of the box?

Not to mention a more ideal I/E flow ratio right off the bat...for use with straight pattern camshaft designs.

Very smart move if you ask me.

Gary

So we buy Chevy headers instead of buying TA headers. That's a win? for TA Performance. Does Chevy have 1 3/4 headers because that is what you are going to need for a Stage 2 head. My headers just barely fit now and they are not 1 1/2.
    Bu Hogs Rock by Guy

355 Buick
    13.50@99 mph motor
    13.31@100 best
    12.42 @105 mph 75 shot
    H-O Racing suspension

If the heads are made with 455 stage 2 like exhaust ports with chevy pattern I'm not so sure chevy headers will work. The angle of the port flanges would be different. I think the headers would be rotated outward like wings. Compare 455 stage 1 and 2 heads.
    At least a weld it yourself chevy header kit could be used.

Again, I can make headers, I can't make heads.
    Steve Caruso
    Maker of reproduction N-25 exhaust hangers, chrome rally wheels, 68-72 Firewall grommet, MBM brake parts dealer.

72 GSX clone. Pure Stock 350 13.45@ 100mph
    72 Stage 1 SunCoupe In process
    70 GS race car In process
    50 Studebaker truck
    96 Roadmaster Collectors Edition wagon
    77 Chrysler Cordoba

Former rides,
    71 Riviera GS
    82 Regal woodie wagon

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERDOG350 View Post
    If the heads are made with 455 stage 2 like exhaust ports with chevy pattern I'm not so sure chevy headers will work. The angle of the port flanges would be different. I think the headers would be rotated outward like wings. Compare 455 stage 1 and 2 heads.
    At least a weld it yourself chevy header kit could be used.

Again, I can make headers, I can't make heads.
    Of coarse the ex flange would have to be designed for the sbc headers to work with the correct angle.

This idea was just a thought to try and let TA be able to sell more heads because it would be easier to get headers for just about anything. And allow people that put a sbc in their Buick to swap back to a sbb very easily,and make it easy to put a sbb into a Olds,Pontiac,and Chevy vehicle,even Chevy and GMC trucks.

Some checking would still have to be done to see if it is even possible though,because a sbb has 1.163" taller deck height than a sbc,and the taller the deck gets,the wider the engine gets,so.. But with a stage 2 style head the flange will sit further towards the center of the engine to help with the width,but not so much with the height though. Some floor clearancing may need to be done,or a little bending the collector down. Long tube header may work fine though,and have extra ground clearance?

And yes,sbc headers are available with 1.50",1.625",1.75" tubing,some are even available with 1.875" tubing,and some are even as big as 2.00" tubing.

As far as their sbb headers go,they can include a set of adapters as a package deal if someone wants a direct hassle free header installation in the car that their headers are made for when using aluminum heads?

Quote Originally Posted by Fox's Den View Post
    So we buy Chevy headers instead of buying TA headers. That's a win? for TA Performance. Does Chevy have 1 3/4 headers because that is what you are going to need for a Stage 2 head. My headers just barely fit now and they are not 1 1/2.
    TA could make it to where only their custom headers will fit it if they want, but the heads will be more attractive if SBC headers/shorties will fit it.

Everyone makes good points though. Just have to figure out which way would be the best way of going about it.

I think Derek has the right idea. That's my vote anyway.

Gary

It would be a smart move to make them fit sbc headers. This way any vehicle that has a sbc can swap in a sbb. Then ta will rake in the dough.
    Sent from the dust in front of you!

I for one do not want to adapt my headers to fit as this will just create another leak problem in the system. If someone has put a Chevy motor in their Buick and want to back to the Buick engine the headers are their problem. If we have to have this type of system it should be made to adapt the Chevy header and NOT have to adapt the Buick header.

I will tell you one thing, if I have to adapt my Buick headers to the Buick Aluminum head that will not fly with me and I may not do it at all. I agree with the dual set up rocker thing but this can go to ****
    Bu Hogs Rock by Guy

355 Buick
    13.50@99 mph motor
    13.31@100 best
    12.42 @105 mph 75 shot
    H-O Racing suspension

I say keep the Buick 350 flange on the exhaust side, we already have lots of header options... And if someone wants something different just get a set of flanges and make a set of headers using a kit.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    My book called Small Block Buick Performance covering the V6, 215, 300, 340, and Buick 350 engines will be released soon.

http://www.v8buick.com/forumdisplay....rformance-Book
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    1970 Buick Skylark Turbo 350 street/strip

Sorry to cause the controversy,perhaps TA can make them with enough material to machine the flange both ways? As simple as a CNC program change when machining the ex flange.That way people with Buick headers already can buy them with a Buick ex flange,and people that want a stage 2 design with a little more ex flow can opt for the sbc flange?(NO adapters!)

Best of both worlds! I know guys that would want a sbb 350 that weighed less than 400lbs for a Silverado or S-10(or any type of these kind of special purpose type built vehicles) if the HP and torque potenial is there. It would be a whole lot easier to sell them on that option if the ex would be easier to adapt to one of these type vehicles.(because these type vehicles are built to run on the sand dunes and tend to jump as much as high as 15+ feet in the air. With less weight on the front end,the landing would be a lot less stressful,especally on an angled landing!)

And with a sbc ex flange,it would be a whole lot easier to put a turbo on it with a sbc turbo kit that are readilly available to make some legendary Buick power that would make the Grand National v6 look like a punk!

Derek

---------- Post added at 10:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by sean Buick 76 View Post
    I say keep the Buick 350 flange on the exhaust side, we already have lots of header options... And if someone wants something different just get a set of flanges and make a set of headers using a kit.
    The problem with this is that if the flange is changed to a Buick flange on the headers,the headers still might not fit because of how much wider a sbb 350 is compared to a sbc.

A stage 2 style would push the ex flange closer to the center of the engine giving more steering shaft,and frame rail clearance to install sbc headers without changing the flange.

Plus if TA made these to be a standard Buick ex flange head and able to machine them to a stage 2 head also right out of the gate they would have 2 different heads availble from one casting.(I think we're are only going to have one shot at getting heads made for a sbb 350,so might as well get a 2 from 1,if its even possible?)

Derek

I have looked at Chevy headers and it could be a challenge to get them to fit some chassis. stock large Buick flanges is cost effective since you can use stock manifolds. Gbody cars have little room with the wide block in them. 1 7/8 BBB headers are about all that can fit in gbody cars and still need to be fitted.a new header design is needed for some cars.
    Andy bridgeview,il
    65 special v6 daily driver-this needs to go faster possibly a 380 stroker.
    82 gn clone 455 12.50's on pump, soon trishield 464
    84 gn
    72 skylark convert#2 ,N-25

I gotta say, Derek nails it again...though I do sympathize with others who would want to keep it the same as iron heads. Having 2 sets of heads available from one mold with an exhaust change for either depending on which style you ordered would be super sweet! Stage1 and Stage2 styles.

Stage2 is better for G body Regals anyway because of the tight fit with headers. The Stage2 full length headers are supposed to have the best clearance vs Stage1 headers for big blocks, if that tells you anything.

Gary

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast