Welcome to V8Buick.com.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Who wants a Hellcat?

I know this is an old thread, but figured I'd use it instead of start a new one. Spotted a white Hellcat Challenger at the local dealership on my way into work. Figured I'd see if it was for sale on the lot or if it was just waiting for it's "forever home." As much as I like the Hellcat, the Scat Pack has seemed to me like more of a reasonable vehicle at a similar budget price. Turns out they have a few, and the "stripper" version of it is pretty cheap.

Screen Shot 2016-09-21 at 9.06.05 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2016-09-21 at 9.04.50 PM.jpg
    Steve E.

Our Nephew, and niece, came over with their new Challenger R/T (no Scat Pack). Cranberry red with black graphics and loaded. I got to drive it. Very comfortable and the heated/cooled seats are killer. He told me I could "step on it". Don't think he was thinking about who he was talking to. 105 and so smooth. You definitely need the passenger outside mirror.
    Jerry
    '62 LeSabre 4dr. sedan
    '65 Skylark convt.
    '67 Skylark 2dr. hdtp.
    '30 Ford Roadster pickup
    '68 Nova SS
    '69 Z/28 RS apart
    '70 Camaro RS race project
    '71 Z/28 RS
    '73 Beetle convt. project
    '78 Futura
    '78 Fairmont wgn project
    '83 Olds Delta 88 Royale
    '88 Dakota
    '92 Plymouth
    '05 Silverado 4x4
    '14 Dodge Journey Blacktop edt.
    My name's Jerry and I'm a caraholic.

You can buy a 2016 hellcat today for 3-5K below MSRP.
    Jim Lore
    BPG 1037
    "If you cannot clear up the confusion at least make the confusion clear."

I had a test drive in a neighbors friends Tesla P90D
    4 door space ship that gets 270 miles on a charge...never have experienced anything like
    It. It rearranged the atoms in my body!!! It makes you forget about anything with an internal combustion engine. It makes my 70 GSX Stage 1 seem like a covered wagon. See all the youtube videos of Tesla vs Hellcat...the race is over in 2 seconds. For street fun the Hellcat doesn't stand a chance...that is unless you're going for long distance which should never be done on the street. A good friend of mine just bought a 2016 Hellcat Challenger (Plum Crazy) and he agrees.
    And to add insult to injury...Tesla now has out the P100D that spanks the P90D...eeyaaoooo!!
    Buick Eric / Oregon
    Last edited by Eric; 10-15-2016 at 11:09 AM.

My friend bought a Hellcat. Says it's hell on gas. I personally would have a real problem forking my money over for a gas guzzler tax.

The real value out there right now looks to be a 2009-2011 R/T or even SRT with a 6 speed Tremec, clean title, good to new tires, 50 to 90k miles, and an under 20k price tag. There are 7 of those to pick from just on C.L. within a 5 hour drive of me. Tasty.
    Current Buick: 1969 GS400 convertible Factory Twilight Blue Poly GM code 51 with Pearl bucket seat interior, White top and non air

Daily drivers (all bought new) 1995 C-1500, 2008 Highlander, 2015 Corolla

"The Buick-and the things of the Buick-had become his passion." Stephen King (Novel:From A Buick 8)

"Oh drat these computers, they're so naughty and so complex." Marvin the Martian (Bugs Bunny show)

"A man's got to know his limitations." Clint Eastwood (Dirty Harry)

We bought a new Scat Pack, just got back from a 4000 mile trip with it. Great car for trips. I was also able to drive a friends Hellcat, stomping it from a 35 mph roll is a great experience and sounds awesome.
    Jim
    N. Mankato, MN

If I were in the market for a new car, the Scat Pack would have my attention over the Hellcat, primarily because of the cost and amount of usable power. Right now, in that ad I posted, $40K for a manual trans, low-option, 485hp car. That's pretty good.

However, if the Mustang GT350 were in that range it would also catch my attention. Unfortunately, they're at $60K. The Camaro 1SS, with a M/T is about $1K less than the challenger and about 30hp less.

That's still a lot of car for $40K, either way. Just think what $40K would buy 10 years ago, or what 450hp+ would cost 10 years ago.

Things seem to be heading in a good direction.

Just curious, gs66, is the insurance hit very bad on the Scat Pack?
    Steve E.

Quote Originally Posted by 71GS455 View Post
    I just insured a 2016 Scat Pack 6 speed in Tor Red today for an adult client...premium came out to about $100 per month which considering that he has a couple of speeds (with, I'm sure, more to follow) don't seem too bad to me.
    Brad Conley. 70 GSX Prototype, 71 Black GSX, 87 GNX Prototype, 75 Skyhawk, 2 86 GN's, 72 Centurion Convert and a host of other Buicks!

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Conley View Post
    I just insured a 2016 Scat Pack 6 speed in Tor Red today for an adult client...premium came out to about $100 per month which considering that he has a couple of speeds (with, I'm sure, more to follow) don't seem too bad to me.
    Yeah, that doesn't seem bad at all. That's probably what my parents paid for me when I was 16 years old on their policy (with good grades discount, of course).
    Steve E.

Quote Originally Posted by 71GS455 View Post
    If I were in the market for a new car, the Scat Pack would have my attention over the Hellcat, primarily because of the cost and amount of usable power. Right now, in that ad I posted, $40K for a manual trans, low-option, 485hp car. That's pretty good.

However, if the Mustang GT350 were in that range it would also catch my attention. Unfortunately, they're at $60K. The Camaro 1SS, with a M/T is about $1K less than the challenger and about 30hp less.

That's still a lot of car for $40K, either way. Just think what $40K would buy 10 years ago, or what 450hp+ would cost 10 years ago.

Things seem to be heading in a good direction.

Insurance change was minimal. I was going from a 5.7 Challenger R/T Classic to the Scat Pack. Just drove it on a 4,000 mile trip. Here's the trip summary. Trip included some "spirited" driving.

Jim
    N. Mankato, MN

Almost 25 mpg - nice!
    Steve E.

Interesting how the layout of the Hellcat tach was influenced by the Mid 60s MOPAR tach.
    Jim Lore
    BPG 1037

The Scat Pack is a great car and you get a ton of performance for the money. I ordered my Scat Pack in late summer 2014 and had it for about a year and a half. When I traded it on my Hellcat the car had only depreciated about 3k from what I paid for it. The dealer also offered a great price on the Hellcat so I made the jump up. It was worth it, the Hellcat is the best car I've had since my 86 GN. There is nothing wrong with the Scat Pack and I would have been happy with it if the Hellcat didn't exist. I just couldn't get owning one out of my head. I think this era of cars mirrors the late 60's and early 70's and may go away soon. It doesn't seem like the younger crowd has as much affinity for muscle cars as guys my age and older do.

/\/\/\ True. All the Hellcat owners, that are friends/associates of mine are over 40 and were already "hotrodders", owning older muscle cars or race cars. So, the demographic bigz portrayed is, in my opinion, correct.
    Jerry
    '62 LeSabre 4dr. sedan
    '65 Skylark convt.
    '67 Skylark 2dr. hdtp.
    '30 Ford Roadster pickup
    '68 Nova SS
    '69 Z/28 RS apart
    '70 Camaro RS race project
    '71 Z/28 RS
    '73 Beetle convt. project
    '78 Futura
    '78 Fairmont wgn project
    '83 Olds Delta 88 Royale
    '88 Dakota
    '92 Plymouth
    '05 Silverado 4x4
    '14 Dodge Journey Blacktop edt.
    My name's Jerry and I'm a caraholic.

Quote Originally Posted by bigz View Post
    I just couldn't get owning one out of my head.
    I've had that problem of late too. This color isn't helping that any. Destroyer Gray, new for '17
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Current Buick: 1969 GS400 convertible Factory Twilight Blue Poly GM code 51 with Pearl bucket seat interior, White top and non air

Daily drivers (all bought new) 1995 C-1500, 2008 Highlander, 2015 Corolla

"The Buick-and the things of the Buick-had become his passion." Stephen King (Novel:From A Buick 8)

"Oh drat these computers, they're so naughty and so complex." Marvin the Martian (Bugs Bunny show)

"A man's got to know his limitations." Clint Eastwood (Dirty Harry)

The gray paint is a waste of canvass. Now Go Man Go with the black stripes does the Hellcat justice.
    Jim Lore
    BPG 1037

With to regards to what was said earlier with kids not being into muscle cars like our generation was, I think part of it has to do with the fact that it is SO hard NOT to be spotted speeding and/or doing other things that shouldn't be done on public roads.

With all the cameras on buildings, street corners, dash cams, cell phones, etc., someone is most likely going to have you on camera doing something you shouldn't have. And then here comes the po-po to make you pay for it.

Back in the day, there was none of that and most likely the only consequence to poor judgement was the damage to the car and yourself if you made a mistake.

Also, the cost of a top shelf "muscle car" is so high compared to what you paid back in the 60's and 70's when it wasn't much more than a standard sedan. Now they're almost double to cost of a regular car for a Z28, Hellcat, etc. And sure can't buy a lower model and economically shade tree mechanic the thing on a Saturday on the cheap to go faster. It's a $6K supercharger to make any real difference.
    Phillip Sedlon
    Wadswoth,OH
    1970 GS convertible, 462/200-4R, (4250 lbs with me), 11.86 at 112 mph, 1.59 60'
    1978 Chevy Z28, 350/4-speed, no where near as fast.........yet!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234